SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

On 5/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, e808 said:

Boise State was the big dog in the conference and has been for a long time. Boise St had better players than most of the teams in the MW which is the same thing u need to win the SEC. Like Kirby said he is only good as the players that he has.

Boise also executed against power 5 schools but it really doesnt matter execution is execution. We just havent been good at it for a long while.

10 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn has never had the clout to hire a top 5 or top 10 coach in the country, so why would CBH be judged in that realm?  :dunno:

The guy had a rocky start there's no doubt.  But Harsin is the HC, get behind him and support his staff & players rather than waste space crapping all over the program 24/7.  He's getting the opportunity to get this thing on the right path, the program needs fan and alumni support to accomplish that task. 

I waited around for years listening to CGM's post-season promises to "turn this thing around", and "the future is bright" in the wake of mediocre seasons & bowl losses.  I can at least wait a while to see what CBH can do. 

Pat Dye, Tommy Tuberville, and even Gus we’re all considered top five or top 10 coaches at one time. Just check the coaching awards they won. I think even after Terry Bowden’s undefeated season, and winning streak he was considered a top-five or top 10 head coach in the country at that time.

But back to my point that you are making for me. Since Harsin is obviously not a top 10 or top five coach in the country why spend 30 some million to bring him in? Now of course, besides the 30 million, we’re also paying the numerous coaches Harsin fired during or after their first season on the planes.

Which brings up another point: no problem with Harsin getting rid of coach after coach, even before completion of said coaches first complete season but we’re all supposed to give Harsin three years? Now that makes a lot of sense doesn’t it?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, au302 said:

I think you're ignoring our traditional method of hiring coaches. We've never been big game hunters. Dye from Wyoming, Tot from Samford, Chiz from ISU, Gus from Arky State. Tubs was the biggest from OM, but not like they're a big dog historically. Harsin fits that same mold. Boise is similar to those programs, even a bigger name than all but Ole Miss. So going by your argument not sure why we ever cleared the way for anyone to let all those other guys come here

Again, back to my point. Traditionally Auburn doesn’t go after the big dogs? So we’re gonna spend 30 some million dollars to not go after a big dog? Again, if we don’t go after and get a big dog, why do you spend 30 some million dollars to go after a mountain west guy? That’s all that I said then, and that’s all that I’m saying now, and looking at his first two recruiting classes and the start of a third recruiting class and last coaching season, where just about everything he did turned to Sierra,  I think you have to agree, the hire just does not look good.

Then we have the second day of spring practice this year, where the press was aloud in, and a certain assistant coach said to the press: it’s a real sierra show out, here isn’t it? Only he didn’t say: Sierra.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Again, back to my point. Traditionally Auburn doesn’t go after the big dogs? So we’re gonna spend 30 some million dollars to not go after a big dog? Again, if we don’t go after and get a big dog, why do you spend 30 some million dollars to go after a mountain west guy? That’s all that I said then, and that’s all that I’m saying now, and looking at his first two recruiting classes and the start of a third recruiting class and last coaching season, where just about everything he did turned to Sierra,  I think you have to agree, the hire just does not look good.

Then we have the second day of spring practice this year, where the press was aloud in, and a certain assistant coach said to the press: it’s a real sierra show out, here isn’t it? Only he didn’t say: Sierra.

Ok my bad, I misunderstood your point. I agree. I'd love for us to go get a big dog and stop mentioning names like Hugh Freeze, etc. To your second point, I think you may be misremembering that quote. Assuming there wasn't another one I didn't hear about, I'm assuming you're talking about Ike Hilliard. He was quoted as saying something like "it's a s*** show today, but it'll get better" to his receivers during a drill. He wasn't talking about the organization of the practice or the program in general, lol. And judging by the receivers last year, I can't say I disagree with him

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to go back and look at the previous 8 years with teams like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, even Georgia and Auburn. You will see with the exception of the turds, Auburn did as well or just about as well as any top-tier team in the SEC and out-performed the traditional mediocre and bottom feeder SEC teams. He beat Saban three times that’s more than any other coach in football, averaged four losses per year, playing in the SEC West while having to play Georgia out of the east every year and usually a top 10 or top 15 ranked out of conference opponent.  He beat Saban with a future NFL fifth or sixth round QB draft pick? He beat Saban with a teenage true freshman QB, he beat Saban with a future CFL defensive back at QB. If all the above mentioned isn’t coaching players up, I don’t know what it is.

Throw nick marshall out because I said 6 out of 8 years. The first two years were pretty good even the 8-5 record we had in 14 was due to bad defense, offense looked good then. Keep in mind these players were coached under a different head coach and staff. As soon as they were gone so was the offense. Only decent year we had offensively after that was 17 and without KJ it wasnt good. None of our receivers looked like any good players I saw on other teams except for maybe Seth Williams but he was only about half the player he could have been IMO.

Now we have a talent depth problem under Harsin. Unless we have a good season and talent is developed more this year we wont get the recruits we need for more depth next year. We need some breakout stars this year and better offensive execution to make that happen. 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

During his eight years at Auburn, he was the second or third best coach in the entire SEC. So how was he the worst in AU history?

was he better than Pat Dye? Terry Bowden?  won 20 in a row  Tommy? beat the turds 6 fingers should have played for a chip 2004 Chiz? won a chip????

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

was he better than Pat Dye? Terry Bowden?  won 20 in a row  Tommy? beat the turds 6 fingers should have played for a chip 2004 Chiz? won a chip????

He was better than Earl Brown, (3-22-4) so your foolish claim that Malzahn was the worst in AU history is blown right there. Next time, don't post something so ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He was better than Earl Brown, (3-22-4) so your foolish claim that Malzahn was the worst in AU history is blown right there. Next time, don't post something so ridiculous.

Gus is still a CLOWN!!! that lol was able to orchestrate 21 million to go kick rocks from AUBURN.. that's BAD?!?!

• Dislike 2

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Throw nick marshall out because I said 6 out of 8 years. The first two years were pretty good even the 8-5 record we had in 14 was due to bad defense, offense looked good then. Keep in mind these players were coached under a different head coach and staff. As soon as they were gone so was the offense. Only decent year we had offensively after that was 17 and without KJ it wasnt good. None of our receivers looked like any good players I saw on other teams except for maybe Seth Williams but he was only about half the player he could have been IMO.

Now we have a talent depth problem under Harsin. Unless we have a good season and talent is developed more this year we wont get the recruits we need for more depth next year. We need some breakout stars this year and better offensive execution to make that happen. 

Um did u forget Gus was a part of that staff and recruited most of those players. He was only gone one year. What hurt Gus is when Nick went crying to the NCAA and the rules were changed. He never adapted after losing his greatest advantage .

Edited by e808
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, e808 said:

Um did u forget Gus was a part of that staff and recruited most of those players. He was only gone one year. What hurt Gus is when Nick went crying to the NCAA and the rules were changed. He never adapted after losing his greatest advantage .

Yes, Im aware. He also had different assistants coaching with him not hand picked by him. When he had his chance to do it his way it got worse.

You can look at this two ways. Every time Gus left we had a losing season. Was that because Gus was a remarkable coach holding his team together with his genius? Or was it Gus's offense that was so simplistic that when the players (under developed) had to play in a big boy offense they struggled to catch up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

You can look at this two ways. Every time Gus left we had a losing season. Was that because Gus was a remarkable coach holding his team together with his genius? Or was it Gus's offense that was so simplistic that when the players (under developed) had to play in a big boy offense they struggled to catch up?

It was because Scott Loeffler was a joke who flopped everywhere he went and Mike Bobo was plain Jane easy to scheme against and predict. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Yes, Im aware. He also had different assistants coaching with him not hand picked by him. When he had his chance to do it his way it got worse.

So the previous coach was responsible for the play calling and the in game decision that lead to those losses at least 5 of 7. Lastly, the top guys that are anchoring this teams is from the previous staff. The year 2023 is when it’s really gets interesting.

22 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes he sure as hell did already had some great asst's lined up

I was under the impression he turned us down. If he wanted to be here, how did we JABA that one up?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I was under the impression he turned us down. If he wanted to be here, how did we JABA that one up?

Nope never turned us down jaba just slow played him to the point he didn't trust them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

So the previous coach was responsible for the play calling and the in game decision that lead to those losses at least 5 of 7. Lastly, the top guys that are anchoring this teams is from the previous staff. The year 2023 is when it’s really gets interesting.

Previous coach isnt responsible for play calls but he is responsible for lack of developement. Also, the top guys should be from the previous staff as they have been on the team for 3-5 years. I agree, 2023 is do or die for Harsin but if he doesnt have a good season this year he wont get the recruits he needs to compete moving forward. 

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Nope never turned us down jaba just slow played him to the point he didn't trust them.

I had heard he had guys lined up and wanted the job, but never heard any asst named. Care to share?

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Previous coach isnt responsible for play calls but he is responsible for lack of developement. Also, the top guys should be from the previous staff as they have been on the team for 3-5 years. I agree, 2023 is do or die for Harsin but if he doesnt have a good season this year he wont get the recruits he needs to compete moving forward. 

Penn State repeatedly throwing fades to a small receiver and getting cute with trick play in your own territory 

Mississippi State terrible play calling 

South Carolina trick play on 4th that had no chance when u up

Bama overtime instead of playing to win tied the game

Houston play calling 

None of that was due to development. Better play calling and decision making wins all of those games are at least 3 of the 5 and this entire off season is totally different.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, e808 said:

Penn State repeatedly throwing fades to a small receiver and getting cute with trick play in your own territory 

Mississippi State terrible play calling 

South Carolina trick play on 4th that had no chance when u up

Bama overtime instead of playing to win tied the game

Houston play calling 

None of that was due to development. Better play calling and decision making wins all of those games are at least 3 of the 5 and this entire off season is totally different.

What about all the lack of execution between all those plays? Does that not count for something?

Mississippi ST - lack of execution later in the game. Im talking purely offensively since both coached offense

S Carolina - I'll give you bad call on that but what happened the rest of the game?

Bama - I was saying go for two in first overtime myself

Houston - we played like crap. Blocks werent executed for the run game and passing was bad most of the day. Finley just aint it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

What about all the lack of execution between all those plays? Does that not count for something?

Mississippi ST - lack of execution later in the game. Im talking purely offensively since both coached offense

S Carolina - I'll give you bad call on that but what happened the rest of the game?

Bama - I was saying go for two in first overtime myself

Houston - we played like crap. Blocks werent executed for the run game and passing was bad most of the day. Finley just aint it. 

I concede the oline wasn’t the greatest and still isn’t to date. They were in all those games minus the GA and Tamu. Even GA was close for a quarter and a half. Had Auburn been able to get across the goal line early in the game . Who knows. Great convo. Much respect 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

I had heard he had guys lined up and wanted the job, but never heard any asst named. Care to share?

Dell McGee and Tosh Lupoi his wanted it for a few years

• Sad 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, eaglenest said:

During the “eight seasons Gus coached” his record was as good, or nearly as good or better than every team in the SEC except for Turds. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, AU80cruiser said:

Boise also executed against power 5 schools but it really doesnt matter execution is execution. We just havent been good at it for a long while.

Season before Covid, when we had the SEC freshman of the year at quarterback, we beat the turds, Jimbo and Texas A&M, and the Pac-ten champs? Were we not executing then?

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

During the “eight seasons Gus coached” his record was as good, or nearly as good or better than every team in the SEC except for Turds. 

Not head to head 

2-7 against UGA

3-5 against LSU/Bama

no coach is going to survive at Auburn losing to their rivals like that including our current one. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not head to head 

2-7 against UGA

3-5 against LSU/Bama

no coach is going to survive at Auburn losing to their rivals like that including our current one. 

I totally get what you’re saying. I just don’t wanna spend $30 million to get someone even worse! Then throw in what we’re paying the assistant coaches Harsin fired after one year or less… it just doesn’t look good.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 3