SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

41 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

We're unfortunately in wait 'n see mode again as fans.  I'm frankly glad we aren't having to hear the annual promises of "we'll get this thing turned around, the future is bright.... yada yada yada"  after another  mediocre  season.  Now we just have to see if this crew can do better or if it's back on the coaching carousel for AU.  

Welk, to be truthful, a mediocre year would have been just what we needed, just not the same coach doing it. Unfortunately, just a very few mistakes in a few key games was the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

It is amazing to me how some people love and give high praises for Auburn consistently losing 5 games a year. SMH

Well, if you’re one of the people who wants to keep playing the toughest schedule in the country in the name of TRUDISHUN, yeah, you’d better be ok with losing 5 games most years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JerryAU said:

All true and if I remember correctly you warned this board to "be careful what you wish for" when the annual fire Gus torches were lit. Auburn still had to make a change though.  A team can't go year after year paying top 5 salaries and not getting top 5 recruiting classes or heck even top 10 ranked teams at the end of every year.  Showing the occasional flash of excellence followed by years of inconsistency while also averaging 3-4 losses a year with an abysmal bowl record from a staff making that kind of $$ just won't cut it. 

I agree it was time for a change. One would hope the change was for the better but so far there is little to indicate that AU made the right change. I hope someone in authority is working on a short list even as we speak.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yes, I see your point now... If Harsin could have just held on to beat Bama and if he could have eeked out a win against Houston, we would have been right back to a " solid" 8 win Gus type season. So close,  yet so far away...

I see, so close counts now? Does it also count when he gave up the biggest lead in school history to lose the game against Mississippi State? Does it count when he ran through five or six assistant coaches to include two coordinators, or are we not allowed to count those either?

As far as comparing him to Gus, remember we spent $30 million to get rid of Gus to get someone better. I’m sure you will agree, we are a far cry from better right now.

• Like 4

A change was needed badly. The problem was most people should have seen this last year coming. Holes in recruiting made the whole offensive areas a wreck especially the Oline. If you can’t make a half yard for a first down, you can’t win. Is Harsin the answer, not this last year. It remains to be seen. Is Kiffin a good coach? Yes. Is he a good game manager? No too many stupid decisions which loses ball games.

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

While losing 4.375 a year is not good, it is far better than losing seven. What's amazing is how many people keep hoping/expecting the current staff to accomplish big things when in 16 months, the only positive thing that's been done is hire one assistant WR coach who has a big name.

Recruiting? 9th in the SEC. Portal? 8th in the SEC.

Overall portal results: 6 brought in, 18 jumped ship. The 247 ranking doesn't consider lost players, but minus 12 has to pretty much suck.

Nationwide predictors, posted in this forum somewhere, predict AU to finish 5-7 this coming season. If you think 5-7 is better than 8-4 you need to attend a remedial math class this summer.

The thing that cracks me up with these “Harsin Apologists” is:

A. They are just making excuses for him, because they hate Gus so much.  

B. They wanted Gus fired so bad because he was a perennial 8-4 guy who usually only finished around the top 10 in recruiting.

C. Now they are hoping, begging, pleading and praying Harsin finishes at least 8-4, and hoping he finishes in the top 10 in recruiting in the SEC. Not in the country, but in the SEC. Too funny! 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

A change was needed badly. The problem was most people should have seen this last year coming. Holes in recruiting made the whole offensive areas a wreck especially the Oline. If you can’t make a half yard for a first down, you can’t win. Is Harsin the answer, not this last year. It remains to be seen. Is Kiffin a good coach? Yes. Is he a good game manager? No too many stupid decisions which loses ball games.

I get what you’re saying, but as far as these holes in recruiting, I think we have to mention just two years prior, one year prior to the Covid season, we beat Alabama, we beat Texas A&M, we beat the Pac-10 champs. 

Back to the holes and recruiting, it’s tough to fill those holes when the new coach (Harsin) isn’t recruiting the holes to be filled, and then can’t get anyone out of the portal to fill the holes and continues to lose players to the portal. What also makes recruiting tough is when you run through five or six assistant coaches in one year to include two coordinators. Let’s also mention that the defensive coordinator said he left because he didn’t like the way Harsin treated his players. I mean we simply have to take all these things into consideration Not just: well if two or three things went different in three or four games, he would have a better record etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I see, so close counts now? Does it also count when he gave up the biggest lead in school history to lose the game against Mississippi State? Does it count when he ran through five or six assistant coaches to include two coordinators, or are we not allowed to count those either?

As far as comparing him to Gus, remember we spent $30 million to get rid of Gus to get someone better. I’m sure you will agree, we are a far cry from better right 

Let's look at the facts ..

Gus was at AU for EIGHT years. He avg between 4-5 losses a year.

Harsin was 6-7 in his FIRST year.

Everyone should agree on those 2 facts..

Why was it ok to give Gus 8 yrs, but wanna run Harsin after 1?

If he can't recruit or cant win in the portal then that will ultimately show up in his won/ loss record and he will be gone.

Just don't understand wanting to run him after 1 yr.

BTW, I'm not necessarily "Pro Harsin". Regardless of who the coach is, I think he deserves 2 or 3 yrs . We gave Gus 8. To me it's that simple.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

BTW, I'm not necessarily "Pro Harsin". Regardless of who the coach is, I think he deserves 2 or 3 yrs . We gave Gus 8. To me it's that simple.

We "gave" Gus eight because Gus accomplished some notable seasons, won some big games, recruited well enough to make fans optimistic about the future and never had a losing season.

To date, Gus's replacement has accomplished, er, NOTHING of note. What has been accomplished that would make an AU fan feel good about the future? Certainly not recruiting, game-day decisions, won/loss record or any other measurable.

In Gus's first season, he took a 3-9 team and led them to 12-2 and within a few seconds of winning a national championship. In Harsin's first season, he took a team that had been 6-5 against an all-major opponent schedule and coached them down to 6-7 with three gimme games included in the six wins. Harsin's record against major competition was 3-7. How many seasons like that does he get?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We "gave" Gus eight because Gus accomplished some notable seasons, won some big games, recruited well enough to make fans optimistic about the future and never had a losing season.

To date, Gus's replacement has accomplished, er, NOTHING of note. What has been accomplished that would make an AU fan feel good about the future? Certainly not recruiting, game-day decisions, won/loss record or any other measurable.

In Gus's first season, he took a 3-9 team and led them to 12-2 and within a few seconds of winning a national championship. In Harsin's first season, he took a team that had been 6-5 against an all-major opponent schedule and coached them down to 6-7 with three gimme games included in the six wins. Harsin's record against major competition was 3-7. How many seasons like that does he get?

We gave Gus 8 years... Why can't we give Harsin more than 1? Of course, the year u speak of with the All SEC schedule,  Gus was given the Arky win. And arguably the Ole Miss win as well.. But, yes they did go down in the books as a win. To act like Gus' "solid" 8 wins a yr didn't include some cupcakes is not only short sided but asanine

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gus was given the Arky win. And arguably the Ole Miss win as well.

So, football is now horseshoes?  If so, does Harsin take an "L" for the Ga. State game?

You didn't answer: How many years of 3-7 against major competition does Harsin get?

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, football is now horseshoes?  If so, does Harsin take an "L" for the Ga. State game?

You didn't answer: How many years of 3-7 against major competition does Harsin get?

He won't get many. Maybe 1 or 2 more. Now a question for you.. Do u think Harsin should have been fired this year for his performance on the field? Yes or No please...

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Mikey, he's logged 1 yr of 3-7 vs major competition, followed by a coup attempt headed up by the Auburn PTB trying to kick him to the curb without paying the man his dang buyout. 

Any brand new coaching staff deserves 3 yrs at minimum to put their plan in place, work on recruiting, learn the talent regions, work roster management and solidify their staff as well as getting their off-the-field support staff in place.  CBH is no different. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Mikey, he's logged had 1 yr of 3-7 vs major competition, followed by a coup attempt headed up by the Auburn PTB trying to kick him to the curb without paying the man his dang buyout. 

Any brand new coaching staff deserves 3 yrs at minimum to put their plan in place, work on recruiting, learn the talent regions, work roster management and solidify their staff as well as getting their off-the-field support staff in place.  CBH is no different. 

Only reason CBH is different is cause he replaced Ol Gustav. That's it

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Every new coach deserves a chance to have their players come in unless they are Chad Morris level bad. The only HS player of Harsin that's played so far is Hunter. We have no clue if the guys he's brining in suck or not, because we haven't seen them yet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AU-24 said:

and then can’t get anyone out of the portal to fill the holes and continues to lose players to the portal.

Hasn't it been shown that the portal issues are more with the school than the coaching staff?

21 hours ago, au302 said:

Every new coach deserves a chance to have their players come in unless they are Chad Morris level bad. The only HS player of Harsin that's played so far is Hunter. We have no clue if the guys he's brining in suck or not, because we haven't seen them yet. 

When Harsin was hired I thought he deserved three years. He might still, but it's very rare when, after 16 months, there isn't any solid positive thing that can be pointed to. What has been done that would make an AU fan optimistic?

There has been a lot of talk about culture, etc. Talk's cheap. What accomplishments are there that would make us optimistic?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Hasn't it been shown that the portal issues are more with the school than the coaching staff?

I don't think so. In the past, it's been a very unusual situation when this "credits won't transfer" thing comes up. Maybe one player every three years or so?

They've been able to get some players they went after. The guys from Oregon, in particular, didn't come to AU from a similar school. In the state of Oregon, Oregon State is the technical/Ag. School/Land Grant University. Bruce Pearl is having no problem pulling basketball transfers in from wherever he wants. The baseball team is loaded with transfers.

This tale of credits not transferring is a handy excuse for fans to use when explaining the swings and misses in portal recruiting though.  Think about it: Is our staff really wasting time and resources on prospects whose credits won't transfer? Lets hope not!

• Like 4

First of all, Gus was mediocre at best and needed to go.   It was past time.   

Secondly, Harsin started in a deep hole and he dug it much deeper himself.   So, while there is plenty of blame to go around, a fair share of it is his.  

It will take an absolute miracle for him to dig himself out of it against this level of competition, with his roster, and very little support from the PTB.   I doubt he makes it past this year.  I would be really surprised if he is our coach in January of 2024!  I hope I’m wrong and we start a dynasty this fall.  It just doesn’t look very promising atm.

Finally, and most importantly, I am not a Gus guy or a Harsin guy, or whatever.   I’m an Auburn guy!   I hoped for the best when Gus was coach.   I am hoping for the best now.   And I will continue to hope for the best as long as our beloved Tigers are still roaming the plains.  

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

First of all, Gus was mediocre at best and needed to go.   It was past time.   

Secondly, Harsin started in a deep hole and he dug it much deeper himself.   So, while there is plenty of blame to go around, a fair share of it is his.  

It will take an absolute miracle for him to dig himself out of it against this level of competition, with his roster, and very little support from the PTB.   I doubt he makes it past this year.  I would be really surprised if he is our coach in January of 2024!  I hope I’m wrong and we start a dynasty this fall.  It just doesn’t look very promising atm.

Finally, and most importantly, I am not a Gus guy or a Harsin guy, or whatever.   I’m an Auburn guy!   I hoped for the best when Gus was coach.   I am hoping for the best now.   And I will continue to hope for the best as long as our beloved Tigers are still roaming the plains.  

Agree, for the most part. Harsin starting in a deep hole isn't quite right. Harsin inherited a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years. He didn't start in nearly the hole that new coaches at Tennessee and South Carolina started in, yet those guys produced winning seasons in their first year while the record of Harsin's team fell from winning to losing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

When Harsin was hired I thought he deserved three years. He might still, but it's very rare when, after 16 months, there isn't any solid positive thing that can be pointed to. What has been done that would make an AU fan optimistic?

There has been a lot of talk about culture, etc. Talk's cheap. What accomplishments are there that would make us optimistic?

There was a lot of optimism before the late season collapse. I'm not sure what happened. Did depth catch up to us, did guys quit, did Harsin lose the locker room. Did the staff suddenly forget how to coach the game of football after Ole Miss? We'll never know. We came back from a 13-0 deficit at LSU. That never happens with AU teams the last 20 years. Usually we're the one collapsing down there.

So to answer your question, the negatives obviously speak for themselves. Positives would be looking competent on the road, some individual player development, and running off a bunch of players (jmo on that one). Unfortunately rifts between new staff and players are too common in year one across any sport. Look at Galloway and Butch in their first years for example. Going by this logic both would have been canned after year 1 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Agree, for the most part. Harsin starting in a deep hole isn't quite right. Harsin inherited a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years. He didn't start in nearly the hole that new coaches at Tennessee and South Carolina started in, yet those guys produced winning seasons in their first year while the record of Harsin's team fell from winning to losing.

you need a life my man, your opinions are just that opinions! you need to go take a break from Auburn because you are wearing me out with all of your negativity, it is pass old and well overdue.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, au302 said:

There was a lot of optimism before the late season collapse. I'm not sure what happened. Did depth catch up to us, did guys quit, did Harsin lose the locker room. Did the staff suddenly forget how to coach the game of football after Ole Miss? We'll never know. We came back from a 13-0 deficit at LSU. That never happens with AU teams the last 20 years. Usually we're the one collapsing down there.

So to answer your question, the negatives obviously speak for themselves. Positives would be looking competent on the road, some individual player development, and running off a bunch of players (jmo on that one). Unfortunately rifts between new staff and players are too common in year one across any sport. Look at Galloway and Butch in their first years for example. Going by this logic both would have been canned after year 1 

lets not forget Saban, Smart, miles, urban they didn't have stella first year, but this nonsense on our coach is just plain crazy.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

It's pretty simple. We couldn't run the ball and we had a weak receiver corps. The ONLY reason we came out of Baton Rouge with a win was from some pretty over the top heroics from Bo Nix. 

If you are going to be a hardass "culture" coach, you also have to recruit. Harsin can't recruit and unless that dramatically changes, that will be the difference in the Harsin question. It was a different game when we hired Harsin and with NIL, it's a dramatically different game now. The days of coaches lording over their programs with an iron fist are over. We're entering an era that will make college football look a lot more like the NFL and most of the coaches will follow. Roster building IS the game and it appears to be the aspect of the game Harsin was least prepared for. The record this season probably won't be nearly the tell than what Harsin signs out of this year's class. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eaglenest said:

lets not forget Saban, Smart, miles, urban they didn't have stella first year, but this nonsense on our coach is just plain crazy.

The guys you mention are obviously not nearly as talented coaches as the Tenn/USCe coaches.

• Haha 1