SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I wanted to break away from mediocrity,  even if that means some growing pains for a year or 2.

A year or two would be very good. However, the norm for this level of football is a school goes through four or five coaches before they hit on one that sticks. AU will have to be very lucky to get settled in with a new guy in less than ten years.

One example: Bammer went through five coaches between Stallings and Saban. Florida, Tennessee, and A&M are still working through their own miseries.

Don't even try, as so many others have, to make this statement into some false claim that I said we should keep Gus. That's not the point. The point is that we've been very lucky in the past in replacing coaches. If it evens out this time it's going to be a very long, very bumpy ride. Your "a year or two" is a pipe dream.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A year or two would be very good. However, the norm for this level of football is a school goes through four or five coaches before they hit on one that sticks. AU will have to be very lucky to get settled in with a new guy in less than ten years.

One example: Bammer went through five coaches between Stallings and Saban. Florida, Tennessee, and A&M are still working through their own miseries.

Don't even try, as so many others have, to make this statement into some false claim that I said we should keep Gus. That's not the point. The point is that we've been very lucky in the past in replacing coaches. If it evens out this time it's going to be a very long, very bumpy ride. Your "a year or two" is a pipe dream.

In those examples u listed. Bammer, Florida, Tennessee and A@M...while I agree they all ran thru coaches, which of those fired any coach after ONE or even TWO years? Dubose? Nope... Shula? Nope... Dooley? Nope... Butch Jones? Nope... Kevin Sumlin? Nope...The Zooker at Florida? Nope... So in a way your proving my point. Is Harsin the answer? Nobody knows yet. Each of those YOU  listed had more than 1 or 2 years.. I guess some " pipe dreams" come true after all.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Deserves three years? Wether you like him or dislike him what did the guy do well? Recruiting? Portal? Assistant coaches? Play calling? I mean the guy pretty much gets a D or F in just about every coaching category. I’m sorry but when you do that poorly you don’t deserve any amount of years.

Yep, I believe he deserves at least 3 yrs to prove himself.  It may be a painful 3 yrs, but Auburn has no business firing him after 1-2 yrs only to be saddled with an unproven coach that would still have to build from the ground up.  This program needs stability and a ton of NIL $$ to build the roster to SEC caliber. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure how he survived 8 yrs.. Never won in Red Stick including blowing a 3 TD lead. Never won in Athens or even came close. Never won in T Town. Never changed or modernized his offense.  Piss poor offensive player development. Paranoid, wouldnt let his QB get outside training in the off season. Guess he was afraid the QB'S would give away his offensive secrets. Never could decide who he wanted to call plays. Gus was a "solid" 8 win a yr coach, some years and seemed to be happy about it. I wanted to break away from mediocrity,  even if that means some growing pains for a year or 2.

I respectfully ask what does mediocrity look like.Within the past 12 years LSU, Georgia and Auburn have been pretty equal on the accomplishments. Only Bama has done the most. The rest of the conference hasn’t done a thing .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, e808 said:

I respectfully ask what does mediocrity look like.Within the past 12 years LSU, Georgia and Auburn have been pretty equal on the accomplishments. Only Bama has done the most. The rest of the conference hasn’t done a thing .

4 or 5 loses a year is mediocre. Doent matter what everyone else does. I don't wanna be like everyone else. I want AU to be better than everyone else and strive for better than mediocre and a stale program,  which is what we had

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

4 or 5 loses a year is mediocre. Doent matter what everyone else does. I don't wanna be like everyone else. I want AU to be better than everyone else and strive for better than mediocre and a stale program,  which is what we had

Yes wanting them to be better but history says otherwise. They were competitive but still averaged 8 or 9 wins per with a few double digit win seasons sprinkled in. Let’s see which direction the program goes from here because time isn’t on Auburn side with the two newbies coming in.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, e808 said:

Yes wanting them to be better but history says otherwise. The were competitive but still averaged 8 or 9 wins per with a few double digit win seasons sprinkled in. Let’s see which direction the program goes from here because time isn’t on Auburn side with the two newbies coming in.

So we should just settle for 4 or 5 loses yr?  Nope, AU has resources and the ability to compete for championships more than the occasional once in a blue moon

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So we should just settle for 4 or 5 loses yr?  Nope, AU has resources and the ability to compete for championships more than the occasional once in a blue moon

Doesn’t sound like it’s possible if you believe 1716.

What pisses me off about the Harsin controversy “making us a pariah” is that we were going to look bad no matter what we did. Allegations were made by departing players and coaches. I can see the headlines now—“Auburn fosters culture of racism and preferential treatment!”

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

For conversation sake how many championships did Auburn compete for prior to Chiz and I am done.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Doesn’t sound like it’s possible if you believe 1716.

The general consensus is everyone wants the team to compete for championships year in and out. However what are results that everyone would be happy with

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

The general consensus is everyone wants the team to compete for championships year in and out. However what are results that everyone would be happy with

I mean it’s not possible. Guy says that if Harsin doesn’t work out, we’re basically toast as a program because of the perception by prospective coaches that our boosters will stab them in the back after the drama in February. Says that we’d be lucky to get any of my realistic hopes, which includes Dell.

See my previous post for what pisses me off about that if true.

Edited by AUwent

Harsin's biggest mistake was getting away from his roots when he came here. This team at least looks built more like a traditional Harsin/Boise team at the OC/DC/QB spots. Will it work? Who knows, probably not, but no excuses of not being on the same page anymore at least 

12 minutes ago, e808 said:

For conversation sake how many championships did Auburn compete for prior to Chiz and I am done.

Won , what 4 in a row with Dye.. Competed for others.  

10 hours ago, e808 said:

Why does Gus have to be a marshmallow. There are different ways of coaching. If that was the case then why was the defense always ranked. Being a hard azz isn’t always the answer either. Look what happen to Singletary at the 49ers. Also look what that did for the off season. Thus CBH had to change some of his methods. All these comparisons to what different coaches did. Let’s just let it play out and see what happens. We are in a different day and age than when Coach Dye was at Auburn.

Gus "has to be" a marshmallow because that's what he was. The program had lost its edge, and the players had been allowed to get soft. That's why you saw so many transfer out even after staying on for a year: they didn't like playing for the hardass, because his requirements are very different than Malzahn's were. That's what changing culture takes.

But Derick Hall and Eku Leota would likely have been selected in the NFL Draft if they'd decided to go early, and they are back for another year. Tank Bigsby could have gone anywhere in America if he'd wanted to leave, and he's back. So there has to be some kind of allure to what Harsin is bringing to the table.

We ARE in a different day, but that just means the hardass coach has had to evolve. Tubs wasn't exactly the same as Dye, either. My point was about changing culture taking a little time, and pointing to the last two coaches at Auburn in a similar situation, not saying that Harsin is going to be the next coming of Pat Dye. Of course we will let it play out and see how it goes, but this is the time of year for this kind of talk, because there's nothing else going on.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Won , what 4 in a row with Dye.. Competed for others.  

I was referring to national championships.  Sorry for the confusion 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you'd been paying attention for the past two years, you'd know that is false. Or have you been paying attention and chose to post a falsehood anyway? I give it 50/50.

I've been paying attention, and it hasn't been 2 years since you started agreeing Gus's time had come. And even when you *did* start agreeing, it felt forced, more to save face than anything else. 

Because if you REALLY realized that it was time for Gus to go, you'd understand what state he left the roster in, and you'd understand that any coach taking over and trying to start building their own thing was going to struggle to have a winning record.

So either you don't really realize that it was time for Gus to go, or you just REALLY don't like Bryan Harsin, and refuse to give him any benefit of the doubt or, you know, time to get things going his way. No, you're going to spread doom and gloom as much as you possibly can.

Because you love Auburn so much, right? I mean, that's what it all boils down to, isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

I was referring to national championships.  Sorry for the confusion 

I think most would be happy competing for conference titles, which would put AU in position of competing for Nattys as well. Losing 4 or 5 a year won't get you there. That's all I'm saying.. To say, well history says we can or will only win 8 or 9 games a year and sprinkle in a 10 win yr once in a while. That's a mediocre mindset and one that sets complacency.  It remains to be seen if Harsin will break us out of that cycle. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, e808 said:

Well, we won it in 1957, got robbed of it in 1983, were an earthquake away from playing for it in 1988, won 20 straight games from 1993-1994, were predicted to win it all in 2003 before falling flat, and went undefeated again in 2004 and *should* have at least had a shot at it.

That, of course, is not including the teams Mike Donahue fielded, most notably the 1908, 1913, and 1914 teams, all of which were crowned national champion by some computer poll or other retroactively, because they didn't exactly compete for national championships as there was no such thing at the time.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, e808 said:

Competing for the SEC Championship year in and year out is good enough, but if you're competing for the SEC Championship, then the National Championship is within your grasp, as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Pat Dye and Tuberville had pretty nice recruiting classes after their first seasons.

They then went 9-3 and 9-4 (negatively skewed because of playing in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP) their second seasons.

Of course, Harsin apparently has to work out or we’re finished as a program. 😒

It remains to be seen how Harsin's first recruiting class will do, and you're right about the second seasons of Tubs and Dye, I was just pointing out the similarities.

I get that you're being sarcastic with your last sentence, but I'm not entirely sure who/what it's directed at, so I'm not sure how to respond. I don't think we're anywhere close to finished as a program if Harsin doesn't work out, I just think we should give him positive support for a couple of years to let him get his system in place.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It remains to be seen how Harsin's first recruiting class will do, and you're right about the second seasons of Tubs and Dye, I was just pointing out the similarities.

I get that you're being sarcastic with your last sentence, but I'm not entirely sure who/what it's directed at, so I'm not sure how to respond. I don't think we're anywhere close to finished as a program if Harsin doesn't work out, I just think we should give him positive support for a couple of years to let him get his system in place.

1716AU—saying that we’re now a pariah to prospective coaches after the investigation of Feb.

This angers me because it was either a narrative of “Auburn backstabs it’s coaches!” (spurred by rumors that came from Internet forums), OR “Auburn fosters a culture of silencing victims of racism/preferential treatment!”

Edited by AUwent
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AUwent said:

1716AU—saying that we’re now a pariah to prospective coaches after the investigation of Feb.

This angers me because it was either a narrative of “Auburn backstabs it’s coaches!” (spurred by rumors that came from Internet forums), OR “Auburn fosters a culture of silencing victims of racism/preferential treatment!”

Well, it doesn't exactly help our image, but it's not something we can't overcome.

That said, thank you for cluing me into what you were talking about.

• Like 1

Just now, Rednilla said:

Well, it doesn't exactly help our image, but it's not something we can't overcome.

That said, thank you for cluing me into what you were talking about.

Like, we’ve seen what happens when schools ignore allegations and complaints. It ain’t pretty.

• Like 2