SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

U think Gus should still be coach. I dont.

While you're at it, prove that @AU-24thinks Gus should still be the coach. A simple quote and link to where he wrote that will suffice. Otherwise, you're just spewing, well, hogwash.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Prove what. That u don't believe your own "logic" . I used your own words to debunk your own argument against Harsin. How can u debate with someone who doesn't even believe what they post?

I'm sorry. But u did it to yourself

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Prove what. That u don't believe your own "logic" . I used your own words to debunk your own argument against Harsin. How can u debate with someone who doesn't even believe what they post?

Apparently you have a problem concentrating. You replied "Bingo" to Rednilla's statement. I asked him to prove what he said. Since you agree with him, I'm asking you to prove what he said as well.

Your laughable "debunking" of one of my earlier posts was too weak to merit comment and is entirely off topic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently you have a problem concentrating. You replied "Bingo" to Rednilla's statement. I asked him to prove what he said. Since you agree with him, I'm asking you to prove what he said as well.

Your laughable "debunking" of one of my earlier posts was too weak to merit comment and is entirely off topic.

You prove it every time u post.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Can't you read? Where did I say we'd have won ten had Gus been the coach? Please post the link.

Part two of can't you read?: Go back and re-read my post. Where did I say win #10 would come from? Read three times if necessary for you to grasp it. Then come back and post the answer to: Where did I say win #10 would come from?

Just curious how you determined that 10 wins was the-bar if you didn’t use Malzahn’s coaching ability to determine that. If you used Harsin’s coaching ability to determine that ( I assume you made that determination before season began) and thought he should reach 10 but not Malzahn, that sounds like you think Harsin is the better coach. IMO noone should have been held to that bar once Nix went down.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Just curious how you determined that 10 wins was the-bar if you didn’t use Malzahn’s coaching ability to determine that. If you used Harsin’s coaching ability to determine that ( I assume you made that determination before season began) and thought he should reach 10 but not Malzahn, that sounds like you think Harsin is the better coach. IMO noone should have been held to that bar once Nix went down.

Respectfully by the time Nix went down the 10 Win mark was already shot. U could argue coaching cost Auburn 4 games and maybe a 5th in which the trick play turned the PSU game. 
These are interesting times. Gus wasn’t the greatest coach but having good players masked those deficiencies and kept them competitive. Some mentioned CBH seems to play the guys that know the entire playbook and would just rather coach them up vs play ur better players and see how they respond in live action. It will be a very interesting season to say the least

Execution was the issue we had 6 out of 8 years under Gus and we had that same issue last year with Harsin. Boise ST, on the other hand, doesnt seem to have the same problem we have and they do it with less overall talent. With that said they have had much better QB and receiver play than us the past few years so maybe they edge us out in those two positons. I wonder why that is? Could be that Boise actually coached up their players and Auburn hasnt in a long time under Gus. I hope to see that change this season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And u may be 100 % correct. My whole argument is, we simply don't know yet. As I stated a above. I can't think of any college coach getting canned after 1 yr, based on job performance.  And several were winless or only won 1 or 2 games their first year. Perhaps you know of a coach who was?

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Sample size simply isn't big enuf to make that judgment about Harsin, IMO. 

Based off what we have seen so far, though, there's plenty of evidence that does not point to this season being any better.

I sincerely hope Gus wasn't the best we can get--I was ready to see him gone--but I may eventually come to regret that, if in the event we need to move on from Harsin we can't even land a well-regarded assistant.

I hope someone who knows more can contradict what was said a few days ago of course.

Edited by AUwent

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Execution was the issue we had 6 out of 8 years under Gus and we had that same issue last year with Harsin. Boise ST, on the other hand, doesnt seem to have the same problem we have and they do it with less overall talent. With that said they have had much better QB and receiver play than us the past few years so maybe they edge us out in those two positons. I wonder why that is? Could be that Boise actually coached up their players and Auburn hasnt in a long time under Gus. I hope to see that change this season. 

Boise State was the big dog in the conference and has been for a long time. Boise St had better players than most of the teams in the MW which is the same thing u need to win the SEC. Like Kirby said he is only good as the players that he has.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Based off what we have seen so far, though, there's plenty of evidence that does not point to this season being any better.

I sincerely hope Gus wasn't the best we can get--I was ready to see him gone--but I may eventually come to regret that, if in the event we need to move on from Harsin we can't even land a well-regarded assistant.

I hope someone who knows more can contradict what was said a few days ago of course.

IMO Hugh Freeze was there for the taken. There wouldn’t have been a learning curve and would be a better fit. Took a chance on CBP and so far it has paid dividends 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, e808 said:

IMO Hugh Freeze was there for the taken. There wouldn’t have been a learning curve and would be a better fit. Took a chance on CBP and so far it has paid dividends 

Man I don't know if I can watch that HS offense anymore, regardless of whether he has a more diverse passing game than Gus or not. I'd be surprised if a new Pres. would even be willing to take a risk on a guy like him, but I don't know Roberts

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, au302 said:

Man I don't know if I can watch that HS offense anymore, regardless of whether he has a more diverse passing game than Gus or not. I'd be surprised if a new Pres. would even be willing to take a risk on a guy like him, but I don't know Roberts

I agree. personally, I'd much rather have gus than freeze (probably not a surprise to anyone) but they're essentially one in the same give or take a little more passing for one vs a little more rushing for the other and I'll always take the side of rushing at a university like auburn. Harsin could bring a nice balance of the two (passing vs rushing) but only time will tell. 

• Like 2

How can anyone want Gus over freeze? 

Not only could we have had freeze, but also Cristobal. 

Boise was mad into something great by the last 2 coaches. Harsin didn't **** it up, but he also didn't maintain at the same level. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I agree. personally, I'd much rather have gus than freeze (probably not a surprise to anyone) but they're essentially one in the same give or take a little more passing for one vs a little more rushing for the other and I'll always take the side of rushing at a university like auburn. Harsin could bring a nice balance of the two (passing vs rushing) but only time will tell. 

Saw a comment on another site that I thought made sense. If Harsin flames, we probably don't want anyone tied to either of them. Freeze, Rhett, Drink, Avalos, etc. I'd personally make an exception for Jeff Grimes though

19 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

How can anyone want Gus over freeze? 

Not only could we have had freeze, but also Cristobal. 

Boise was mad into something great by the last 2 coaches. Harsin didn't **** it up, but he also didn't maintain at the same level. 

Because they're basically one and the same except gus has better character and a more potent rushing attack however if you prefer better passing than freeze would be ones go to.. whatever

hard pass on Cristobal for me but it was nice beating him and the Westcoast to open the season awhile back

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I'll spell it out again. And yes, when we got rid of one coach I thought there would be an upgrade. (silly me) Continue reading and see as I once again detail why my pre season prediction was 10-2.

The 2020 team beat 6 P5 teams. Just don't do any worse, win the three gimme' games and we're at 9-3. Add one win for better coaching and viola! 10-2.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Again, the shortcomings u mentioned,  if they continue will show up in his record and he will be dismissed... IMO, 1 yr isn't enuf time for him to implement his system, etc... I don't know how else to say it... Look, we just gonna have to agree to disagree and move on. U think Gus should still be coach. I dont.. U think Harsin should have been fired.. I don't. It's ok to disagree.  It's what makes the world go round.  War Eagle to ya

It’s not really a Gus thing unless you’re considering… if you can’t hire anyone better than Harsin go ahead and keep Gus for another season. In that case, I guess you could say, I think Gus should still be the coach??? (if that is what you’re trying to say) Again, if it’s a big-name coach, with a winning track record, i.e. the current coach of Texas A&M or the current coach of LSU, or the current at Thuga, I could see making the change. But spending 30 million to clear the path for Harsin? I mean really? (that is what I am trying to say)

I’ve said time and time and time again on here, it was probably time for Gus to go, but Harsin was a bad hire.

You can hate the guts of Gus, you can despise the ground he walks on, you can wish him terrible things at Central Florida, but replacing him with the Mountain West conference Brian Harsin? Spending $30 million to get rid of our previous coaching staff to hire Brian Harsin? Completely nonsensical.

I wasn’t in favor of the Harsin hire, never thought he would make it at Auburn, but just being perfectly honest, he actually did worse in all coaching categories than I thought he would do his first season. From everything a coach is supposed to do, and I won’t go back and rename everything but what could he have possibly done any worse?

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'll spell it out again. And yes, when we got rid of one coach I thought there would be an upgrade. (silly me) Continue reading and see as I once again detail why my pre season prediction was 10-2.

The 2020 team beat 6 P5 teams. Just don't do any worse, win the three gimme' games and we're at 9-3. Add one win for better coaching and viola! 10-2.

Makes perfect mathematical sense. Just like we beat Saban (being called by everyone and their brother the best coach in the history of college football) for the third time in eight years, just the year before. But the “Harsin Apologists” just don’t want to hear it. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:23 PM, Rednilla said:

There's a lot of history with the AU-Florida rivalry, but I know I don't want them as our third permanent rival. I can live with Miss State. I visited Starkville once, years ago, and the place struck me as being a scaled down version of Auburn.

I hope to god The Athletic is just throwing darts here, seen this proposal several times on r/CFB and Rant, etc. Alabama gets MSU and TN while we get GA and FL? 🤮 

If the league actually proposed this I hope our power brokers fought it tooth and nail. This would be an absolute death sentence.

https://theathletic.com/3316970/2022/05/17/sec-football-schedule-conference/?amp=1

Edited by AUwent

13 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to go back and look at the previous 8 years with teams like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, even Georgia and Auburn. You will see with the exception of the turds, Auburn did as well or just about as well as any top-tier team in the SEC and out-performed the traditional mediocre and bottom feeder SEC teams. He beat Saban three times that’s more than any other coach in football, averaged four losses per year, playing in the SEC West while having to play Georgia out of the east every year and usually a top 10 or top 15 ranked out of conference opponent.  He beat Saban with a future NFL fifth or sixth round QB draft pick? He beat Saban with a teenage true freshman QB, he beat Saban with a future CFL defensive back at QB. If all the above mentioned isn’t coaching players up, I don’t know what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I hope to god The Athletic is just throwing darts here, seen this proposal several times on r/CFB and Rant, etc. Alabama gets MSU and TN while we get GA and FL? 🤮 

If the league actually proposed this I hope our power brokers fought it tooth and nail. This would be an absolute death sentence.

https://theathletic.com/3316970/2022/05/17/sec-football-schedule-conference/?amp=1

Alan Greene, we don’t have power brokers. I’m sorry, but it is, what it is.

It's said typically that programs make the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. A more favorable home schedule early should bode well for AU. I'm intrigued by what Harsin can do with Calzada. Penn St game will be the swing game IMO

10 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Because they're basically one and the same except gus has better character and a more potent rushing attack however if you prefer better passing than freeze would be ones go to.. whatever

hard pass on Cristobal for me but it was nice beating him and the Westcoast to open the season awhile back

Freezes private life is none of my business. If he wants to bang hookers, who cares.  His offence has remained potent and innovative and effective. He is what Gus could have been if Gus didn't get complacent.  

Cristobal coaches circles around harsin. Brought FIU from the dead, absolute stud recruiter and Oline coach, had Oregon trending up every year he was there after taking over for taggart. There is no objective reason to want harsin or most others over Cristobal. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Freezes private life is none of my business. If he wants to bang hookers, who cares.  His offence has remained potent and innovative and effective. He is what Gus could have been if Gus didn't get complacent.  

Cristobal coaches circles around harsin. Brought FIU from the dead, absolute stud recruiter and Oline coach, had Oregon trending up every year he was there after taking over for taggart. There is no objective reason to want harsin or most others over Cristobal. 

I don't see cristobal as a fit at auburn. I could see him having success at Miami and it is well established he can recruit very well however I don't think he is a very good of a coach, I do think he is overrated in terms of coaching acumen.Irrregardless I understand we disagree on that and it's not particularly a debate I want to get mired in, I'm just sharing my opinion of him and I certainly respect your view point.

• Like 1