Part II of Auburn's Top-5 Run Offenses

StatTiger

Auburn has been producing quality college and NFL backs for over 40 years. The catalogue of running backs has not been equaled. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Like 2

Brooks and Cribbs and Andrews in the same backfield with tear away jerseys was so fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Tim Jessie and Collis Campbell two guys that people never think about...also Mike Currier I could go on and on

Man, I'm not sure I ever remember Collis Campbell ever getting tackled. Seemed like on the limited carries he had the best the defense could do was run him out of bounds. Guy could have more than likely been a star on most any other SEC team.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Tim Jessie and Collis Campbell two guys that people never think about...also Mike Currier I could go on and on

Mike Currier. Almost forgot about him.  Wallace Clark and Mickey Zolfko (sp) a couple of waybackers.

22 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Mike Currier. Almost forgot about him.  Wallace Clark and Mickey Zolfko (sp) a couple of waybackers.

Zolfko ended up being a very good special teams player for the Lions

• Thanks 1

Food for thought.  Imagine the 1979 team being coached by someone like, I don’t know, Pat Dye instead of Barfield.  The team had 5 All-Sec First Team players on it.  They weren’t just talented on offense either.  The defense had some studs on it as well.  Freddy Smith’s name comes to mind.  Too much talent on that team to lose to a mediocre Tennessee team as well as Wake Forest.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, 80Tiger said:

Terry Henley of the Amazins' in 72.

Unbelievable and other worldly! Bo had some kind of speed but I did not know he was this fast.  Dude was hauling! 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:06 PM, augolf1716 said:

I do. Especially Tim Jessie. Solid as a rock player that would have been a multi year starter at most SEC schools. 

• Like 1

1979 -- that was a fun year.  A TD run averaged every 17 plays or so?  So true.  The anticipation was there that either Brooks or Cribbs (or both) would break off a long run taking it to the house just about every time they touched the ball.   Thanks, StatTiger for bringing back the memories with some awesome videos. 

On 5/14/2022 at 11:03 PM, maryland tiger said:

Unbelievable and other worldly! Bo had some kind of speed but I did not know he was this fast.  Dude was hauling! 

I never saw that clip. Wow. The other one to look up for Bo was vs Georgia Tech. About 4 guys have the angle on him and he just blows by them. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2022 at 7:34 PM, AUloggerhead said:

1979 -- that was a fun year.  A TD run averaged every 17 plays or so?  So true.  The anticipation was there that either Brooks or Cribbs (or both) would break off a long run taking it to the house just about every time they touched the ball.   Thanks, StatTiger for bringing back the memories with some awesome videos. 

The really exceptional thing about some of those per carry and per game stats that year was that everyone knew all we were going to do was run it every play...we couldn't pass for crap.  So everyone was loaded for the run; and they still put up amazing numbers.

On 7/10/2022 at 3:22 PM, japantiger said:

The really exceptional thing about some of those per carry and per game stats that year was that everyone knew all we were going to do was run it every play...we couldn't pass for crap.  So everyone was loaded for the run; and they still put up amazing numbers.

All too true.  AU took uat to the wall in the IB that year, with uat scoring the go ahead TD with about 20 seconds left in the game.  On the ensuing KO, Brooks nearly ran it all the way back & getting tripped up with a shoe-string tackle by the last defender.  The sound in the stadium was deafening and it went up even LOUDER when Brooks broke in the open.  Thought for a brief moment there he was going to regain his balance because he still took about 3 more strides before finally falling forward on about AU's 35 -- then AU couldn't get on the field fast enough to run another play.  The Bear said after the game, "I nearly had heart failure every time those 2 (Brooks & Cribbs) touched the ball."    

On 5/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, maryland tiger said:

Auburn has been producing quality college and NFL backs for over 40 years. The catalogue of running backs has not been equaled. 

Has there been a single good RB from Auburn in the last 30 years?  We had a lot of great college backs, but none seemed to have good NFL success.  A couple 1 year goes and too many lost to injury.

• Dislike 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, W.E.D said:

Has there been a single good RB from Auburn in the last 30 years?  We had a lot of great college backs, but none seemed to have good NFL success.  A couple 1 year goes and too many lost to injury.

And this👇is why as soon as I figure out how, I'm going to permanently moot your goofy behind. You obviously are about 19 years old and think the world began when you were born. You know nothing about the tradition of great backs that have played for Auburn, yet you're constantly on this board running your mudflap about things you don't know. 

8k plus yards in the NFL. While you're at it, go look up Tony Richardson, Fred Beasley and Rudi Johnson too. 

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

And this👇is why as soon as I figure out how, I'm going to permanently moot your goofy behind. You obviously are about 19 years old and think the world began when you were born. You know nothing about the tradition of great backs that have played for Auburn, yet you're constantly on this board running your mudflap about things you don't know. 

8k plus yards in the NFL. While you're at it, go look up Tony Richardson, Fred Beasley and Rudi Johnson too. 

So you throw a little temper tantrum over a question, completely get my age wrong, then list two Full Backs in an argument for good Running Backs in the NFL.

So yes. Rudi is probably our only lone good NFL RB over the past 30 years with 3-4 good years and Davis is the sole high level guy. 

We had a lot of guys clipped NY injuries and shorten their career

🤡

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, maryland tiger said:

Not taking anything away from Davis, but on some of those runs, the only people not knocked down was the offside DB that shows up late in the film trying to tackle him in the end zone.  Everyone blocked...I think they were knocking people down on the sidelines and 3 or 4 rows up in the stands...