Hill Residence Halls Demolition started yesterday.

this is kind of boring to me but i do not post for me i try to give everyone a little something if i run across anything.

10 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

@RunInRedbtw....what are AU plans with the Hill location?  what is taking up that prime space next?

Future academic buildings, most likely …

i thought some of you might be interested in this.

8vx2zmeyrb191.webp

On 5/18/2022 at 7:24 PM, RunInRed said:

Future academic buildings, most likely …

Nothing exciting huh…..shame, one of the better sight seeing areas spring and early fall.

• Like 1

This makes me kind of sad. I was in the marching band my freshman year, and was involved in the music department for all of my time in college. I regularly walked through the hill, and had a lot of meals in Terrell Hall on the hill. But it really was outdated, so I understand the decision. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is always difficult to understand how a concrete/brick building lasts for hundreds of years in many countries, yet we get 30-50 years and decide to simply throw it away and build another at an enormous cost.  We then call that progress.

I realize that mold and other issues existed in the buildings, but the university is paying close to $10 million to demolish them.  That would have gone a very long way toward completely gutting them without needing to rebuild the structures themselves.  One day we won't be able to spend an unlimited amount of money.  We will be too busy trying to pay for decades of spending in the past.

The current plan is to replace the structures, although it may not all be replaced on that site.

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/campus_notices/2019/09/131525-boardoftrusteesmeeting.php

Edited by AU9377