The party of starving babies

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Only three manufactures represent the entire market.  Those manufactures have lobbied mightily to keep exports out, even brands that exceed our nutrition standards.

Concentrated power is not capitalism.  

The "free markets" love to use the government to foil competion and, keep profits high.  

Let’s open it up! That’s a long-standing crony capitalism issue.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

WASHINGTON — The White House on Thursday said the Food and Drug Administration will finally start clearing the way for imports of baby formula from overseas to address nationwide shortages — months after it shut the main US manufacturer of the products over a salmonella scare.

But the Biden administration failed to provide any details about what specific changes would take place, an estimate of how long it would take for the crisis to pass or even when President Biden was first briefed about the shortfall.

The shortage has hit some states especially hard and is linked to a large recall by Abbott Nutrition that began in February due to safety concerns at a Michigan factory. Two infant deaths are believed to be linked to bacterial contamination.

“The reason we’re here is because the FDA took a step to ensure that babies were taking safe formula,” press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters, sidestepping the issue of why no governmental authority sought to find alternatives to the plant to stem the looming shortage for months.

“There were babies who died from taking this formula, so they were doing their jobs,” she insisted.

A White House fact sheet said that “the FDA will, in the coming days, announce specific new steps it is taking concerning importing certain infant formula products from abroad,” though a senior administration official said on a White House-organized press call that they could not share additional information on the FDA plans.

A loosening of import restrictions could have a significant impact. Currently, about 98% of US-consumed formula is produced domestically.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/12/fda-to-ease-baby-formula-import-rules-as-biden-faces-heat/

In other words, the shortage was anticipated, but as usual, the Biden Administration did nothing until it became a problem.  I just don’t understand this type of leadership.

Democrats want the country to fail and, want babies dead.  Not sure why, that's just what Tucker says.

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Sounds like baby formula that hasn’t been thru FDA regulations hasn’t typically been allowed. Don’t know how long it takes to unwind those. They’re not new. 

They are not new, but the President has the ability to cut through the *red tape* to get the ball moving.  Let’s see how much pressure he gets to do this.  

5 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Democrats want the country to fail and, want babies dead.  Not sure why, that's just what Tucker says.

Is this really how you feel?  Actions have consequences, blocking imported baby formulas is an action that has bitten us in the a$$.  What do we do about it is what Biden is facing. Get R Done.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Let’s open it up! That’s a long-standing crony capitalism issue.

Yes.  But,,, those with power know it will not be possible to eliminate imports after the fact.  They know it will affect their long term profitablity.  

Money and power over humanity.  Business over society.  It is truly the notion that drives economic policy.   It is cruel.  It is stupid.  It is destroying our country.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this really how you feel?  Actions have consequences, blocking imported baby formulas is an action that has bitten us in the a$$.  What do we do about it is what Biden is facing. Get R Done.

No.  Let's be genuine.  Let's just blame the Democrats.  Let's hope they fail.

16 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I didn't bring religion into this. I don't care what anyone's faith is, I find it cruel that helping the world takes priority over helping American citizens during shortages.

How cruel does one have to be in order to frame this issue as a zero sum game between American and immigrant babies?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You know nothing about me, except posts I make on here. Yet that's enough for you to judge me personally and launch into a moral rant. GFY

Exactly.

And that is all that's needed.

Edited by homersapien

15 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Right back at you.

You're lying already, insinuating I want anyone to starve. There are babies in this country starving right now that don't have any formula in their area. Yet we still have enough for those at the border. Why?

In other words, let's take food from immigrants and provide it to our own babies. (As if that's the only way we could prevent them from starving.)

Sometimes I really hope there is a Jesus and a judgemental God. :no:

"Baby formula going to brown kids and not Americans" is just the latest bull**** headline for Conservatives to crow about and become enraged over. 

Has no basis in reality. 

It all started with one Republican lawmaker claiming on twitter (with no evidence) that this was happening, the Texas Governor then retweeted it saying "THATS RIGHT", then Fox News and the other usual suspects on in the right wing "media"  lapped it right up and started making it the headline stories to supplement the rest of their anti-immigrant agenda and talking points. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, homersapien said:

How cruel does one have to be in order to frame this issue as a zero sum game between American and immigrant babies?

Who do you follow?  Jesus or Tucker?

55 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

They are not new, but the President has the ability to cut through the *red tape* to get the ball moving.  Let’s see how much pressure he gets to do this.  

He does. So did his predecessor who swore to do that, but he couldn’t put down his phone.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

"Baby formula going to brown kids and not Americans" is just the latest bull**** headline for Conservatives to crow about and become enraged over. 

Has no basis in reality. 

It all started with one Republican lawmaker claiming on twitter (with no evidence) that this was happening, the Texas Governor then retweeted it saying "THATS RIGHT", then Fox News and the other usual suspects on in the right wing "media"  lapped it right up and started making it the headline stories to supplement the rest of their anti-immigrant agenda and talking points. 

The politics of division.  Race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, economic.  

The weak, the powerless are always portrayed as the villans.  Those who do not know Jesus fall for it every time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Who do you follow?  Jesus or Tucker?

Ghandi said it best for me:

"I like your Christ, but not your Christianity".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

jesus is watching and i am not talking about the dog named jesus in the famous joke. it is folks like you destroying christianity.

What does 91 have to do with your relationship with Jesus? That’s Christianity. Not what somebody else does or says. Are you waiting for Christians to be perfect according to you and then Christianity will be acceptable? That will never happen. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

what about alabama? you use the bible for children like others use it to justify slavery. and that is old testament dude. i am sure god expected us to be better along afte a few thousand years.

Your response is nonsense. Please explain what you are talking about.

4 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

What does 91 have to do with your relationship with Jesus? That’s Christianity. Not what somebody else does or says. Are you waiting for Christians to be perfect according to you and then Christianity will be acceptable? That will never happen. 

i have never said christians are or should be perfect but with all the hate you guys throw out there on the christian right you are not doing jesus any favors. you do not get it or you do not care. if you think jesus is going to let the babies starve in the cages needing formula and be ok about it you are out of your mind. you are anyway. you do not fool anyone. i claim to be a struggling christian but i have never claimed to be perfect. i fall short on a lot of things but i make sure folks know i am not a full blown christian because i do not want to distort the message. do you even care about anyone other than yourself and family? most of these immigrants you tend to spit on with you broke the law is a joke. they are leaving countries to get away from rape, murder, and gangs that enable this and more. you want to give a ten year old kid asylum if she crosses illegally when gangs want to prostitute her? it is not hard to figure out and i see right through you buddy. you have a chance to show some love and caring but you go off the rails. at the end of the day if you were put in that childs position or even as a parent you would do everything in your power to save your child. i know you would and you know you would. but of course you will deflect with some bull that everyone sees through except for you two fans that like to see you talk trash so they can give you an attaboy.

12 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Your response is nonsense. Please explain what you are talking about.

you know damn well what i said. reread it if you must but i have covered it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have never said christians are or should be perfect but with all the hate you guys throw out there on the christian right you are not doing jesus any favors. you do not get it or you do not care. if you think jesus is going to let the babies starve in the cages needing formula and be ok about it you are out of your mind. you are anyway. you do not fool anyone. i claim to be a struggling christian but i have never claimed to be perfect. i fall short on a lot of things but i make sure folks know i am not a full blown christian because i do not want to distort the message. do you even care about anyone other than yourself and family? most of these immigrants you tend to spit on with you broke the law is a joke. they are leaving countries to get away from rape, murder, and gangs that enable this and more. you want to give a ten year old kid asylum if she crosses illegally when gangs want to prostitute her? it is not hard to figure out and i see right through you buddy. you have a chance to show some love and caring but you go off the rails. at the end of the day if you were put in that childs position or even as a parent you would do everything in your power to save your child. i know you would and you know you would. but of course you will deflect with some bull that everyone sees through except for you two fans that like to see you talk trash so they can give you an attaboy.

There it is. What hate are you talking about? I don’t hate anybody. I don’t know anybody at the border. I do care about my family.  There are things that happen in all the countries of the world that are evil.  They are not Gods fault Jesus fault or my fault.  When someone identifies evil you tend to just call it hate. It is not. If someone is seeking asylum at the border there are laws and procedures for that. I didn’t write them but they exist. It is not hate to ask foreigners to comply with the laws of the country they are entering. It seems to me you think this country pretty much sucks so why does everybody want to come here? And yes you do expect a level of perfection for a Christian. All you do all day is bash Christians.  Nobody needs to do Jesus favors. And nobody wants a ten year old to be prostituted. What does that have to do with a discussion about baby formula?

1 minute ago, jj3jordan said:

There it is. What hate are you talking about? I don’t hate anybody. I don’t know anybody at the border. I do care about my family.  There are things that happen in all the countries of the world that are evil.  They are not Gods fault Jesus fault or my fault.  When someone identifies evil you tend to just call it hate. It is not. If someone is seeking asylum at the border there are laws and procedures for that. I didn’t write them but they exist. It is not hate to ask foreigners to comply with the laws of the country they are entering. It seems to me you think this country pretty much sucks so why does everybody want to come here? And yes you do expect a level of perfection for a Christian. All you do all day is bash Christians.  Nobody needs to do Jesus favors. And nobody wants a ten year old to be prostituted. What does that have to do with a discussion about baby formula?

let me correct you there. i bash horrible christians that hurt people or turn a blind eye.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He does. So did his predecessor who swore to do that, but he couldn’t put down his phone.

His predecessor dealt with the FDA in a good fashion in Operation Warp Speed, Trump didn’t have to deal with a baby formula shortage.  I would think getting baby formula from a trusted foreign source should not be difficult.

39 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

His predecessor dealt with the FDA in a good fashion in Operation Warp Speed, Trump didn’t have to deal with a baby formula shortage.  I would think getting baby formula from a trusted foreign source should not be difficult.

Sounds like there are some complications:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/parenting/baby/european-formula.html

Deciding to not convert to metric system in the 80’s has some consequences

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You should do some research.  

2 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Not being hateful is the lowest bar.  Jesus asks us to love.  You do not seem to know  about Jesus.

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Not being hateful is the lowest bar.  Jesus asks us to love.  You do not seem to know  about Jesus.

Whatever ICHY. You know nothing of what is in my heart. But you are willing to judge. Jesus knows my heart. I’ll go that direction.

• Like 2