Republican party behavior is un-American i am fiddy and i aprove this message.

Voice of the people: Republican party behavior is un-American

The Ledger
Fri, May 13, 2022, 7:13 AM·1 min read

A campaign sign in support of President Donald Trump sits on a lawn Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, in a Hispanic neighborhood of Miami. Florida's Cuban American voters remain a bright spot in Trump's effort to retain his winning coalition from 2016. Polls show his strong support from these key voters may even be growing to include the younger Cuban Americans that Democrats once considered their best hope of breaking the GOP's hold. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

A campaign sign in support of President Donald Trump sits on a lawn Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, in a Hispanic neighborhood of Miami. Florida's Cuban American voters remain a bright spot in Trump's effort to retain his winning coalition from 2016. Polls show his strong support from these key voters may even be growing to include the younger Cuban Americans that Democrats once considered their best hope of breaking the GOP's hold. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

Republican party behavior is un-American

Throughout much of my life I was tagged a “liberal” and a “radical” because of my views and actions. Knowing from where these labels came, I wore them with pride. However, no longer do I feel my views and actions are liberal or radical. Instead, I believe the tables have turned, and I now see myself as the conservative and those who once placed “liberal” and “radical” on my back are the ones those adjectives more appropriately describe.

I do not believe an election should be overturned simply because the loser claims without evidence that they did not lose. I would never attempt to disrupt a government function by violently entering a government building, beating law enforcement officers, ransacking offices and threatening to kill elected officials. Sorry, but those actions are liberal and radical to me.

Banning books? Restricting discussion on topics the government deems inappropriate? Retaliating against a school board, company or citizens that dare to speak against the actions of the government or an elected official? “Liberal” and “radical” might not be the only words to describe this behavior. Authoritarian, fascist, totalitarian and simply un-American might better describe it. Or, just call it the Republican Party.

Michael Schwam, Lakeland

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great opinion piece!

Personally, I am starting to think America can't start to turn itself around until things actually get worse - say for example, Trump succeeding in his efforts to steal the 2024 election.

Accordingly, I hope Republicans nominate him again.  Let's get this phase of our history behind us.

• Like 1

not me. maybe he will go fight with the russians and take tucker and ted and paul with him.................

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

not me. maybe he will go fight with the russians and take tucker and ted and paul with him.................

Trump would never oppose his hero Putin. Neither would Tucker, Ted and Paul.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I dont know. NeoCons got a hardon for war more than anyone....

they were mostly picked on in school.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

Great opinion piece!

Personally, I am starting to think America can't start to turn itself around until things actually get worse - say for example, Trump succeeding in his efforts to steal the 2024 election.

Accordingly, I hope Republicans nominate him again.  Let's get this phase of our history behind us.

I am not convinced he will run and not sure he would receive the nomination if he does. Doesn’t have the gonads to face another loss. 

We must get money out of the political process.  Our system is corrupt.  

Our country is truly lost if we remain divided, if we will not demand reform.

I am not optimistic.  We ourselves are too ignorant, too corrupt, too powerless, too easily distracted, too partisan, too self absorbed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I am not convinced he will run and not sure he would receive the nomination if he does. Doesn’t have the gonads to face another loss. 

He doesn't think he lost.  He thinks he actually won.  And an overwhelming majority of Republicans believe him - many of whom are in power at all levels of government - and are committed to tilting elections in his favor. 

I still have enough faith in Americans - if not our current electoral system - to think the country will ultimately reject Trump and Trumpism in the long term but that will happen sooner if he gets another shot. 

Meanwhile, I think you are in denial.  Trump is much more of a narcissistic authoritarian than you think.  He is drunk on his political power and there's not enough Republicans who have the "gonads" to stop him.  Authoritarians don't typically resign voluntarily, especially narcissistic ones.  There's little reason to think Trump would.

11 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

We must get money out of the political process.  Our system is corrupt.  

Our country is truly lost if we remain divided, if we will not demand reform.

I am not optimistic.  We ourselves are too ignorant, too corrupt, too powerless, too easily distracted, too partisan, too self absorbed.

I agree. 

The basis of our problem is less Trump than it is our system.  Trump is more of a symptom - albeit a very severe one - than the basis. 

Our political system is basically corrupt and it starts with money.