Coach Pink: Z Calzada Will Win Starting QB

toddc

On 5/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Rednilla said:

Calzada is the obvious pick. Word has it that Finley has the support of the team, but my information is that Geriner is the one pushing Calzada for his spot atop the depth chart. My guess is that means unless Finley makes a pretty big leap this summer and preseason camp, Geriner will be the one to take over if Calzada goes down for any length of time.

Ashford will have a package of plays regardless of who starts. He's apparently pretty athletic. 

Interesting that this true frosh could jump Ashford, but it is not like Ashford has gotten meaningful PT at the power 5 level.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Interesting that this true frosh could jump Ashford, but it is not like Ashford has gotten meaningful PT at the power 5 level.

Yeah, I admit, I wondered about where Ashford fit in on the regular backup list, running the whole offense rather than just a package predesigned for his size and athleticism.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, au302 said:

We were predicted to finish 6-6 last year I believe. Regardless, finishing on a 5 game losing streak is never acceptable, but I don't see how you say 10-2 after 2020. We also lost the entire WR room. Our passing game in '19/20 was literally Nix throwing jump balls and Seth Williams pulling them down. The team was on a downward trajectory. Did Gus have a losing season? No, but he was heading for one last year. Hence why he was fired.

Anyways, this whole first year stuff is getting old. Dye, Tubs, Sunny Galloway, Butch Thompson, and Pearl are all coaches that had bad first years at Auburn. Butch and Pearl even "coached down" the teams they inherited record wise. Good thing we didn't call for those two to be fired. We understood they were walking into bad situations. 

Sunny was a joke. Thank God he was ousted. 

Butch and Bruce both came in as hot commodities. Bruce was a known winner. Butch was an important part of a very good Ms st program. 

Harsin doesn't have any history to show this isn't the norm. 

That being said Harsin should get 2- 3 years. If after this season he still is losing both recruiting and on the field, it's time to move on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Sunny was a joke. Thank God he was ousted. 

Butch and Bruce both came in as hot commodities. Bruce was a known winner. Butch was an important part of a very good Ms st program. 

Harsin doesn't have any history to show this isn't the norm. 

That being said Harsin should get 2- 3 years. If after this season he still is losing both recruiting and on the field, it's time to move on. 

Uhh Sonny was far from a joke. He won 36 games and took us to our first regional in a few years in his second and last season. A hot-headed a-hole? Yes. Joke? Not even close. He could coach a baseball team.

That said, even though Butch took that same team and finished dead last in the conference with them the next year, it was understandable since they weren't his players and the situation he walked into. Look how it's payed off outside of last year. I just think Harsin deserves the same patience, and 2-3 years is fair, so we overall agree

29 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

a package predesigned for his size and athleticism

Ppl will complain for this like they have done a dozen other QB back ups and it's just never going to happen 

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

Uhh Sonny was far from a joke. He won 36 games and took us to our first regional in a few years in his second and last season. A hot-headed a-hole? Yes. Joke? Not even close. He could coach a baseball team.

That said, even though Butch took that same team and finished dead last in the conference with them the next year, it was understandable since they weren't his players and the situation he walked into. Look how it's payed off outside of last year. I just think Harsin deserves the same patience, and 2-3 years is fair, so we overall agree

I was working with the athletic Dept and baseball a lot around the end of JP and start of sunny, he was one of those coaches with history, a good history,but known issues abound. He was as much run out of OK as he was poached by Auburn 

He was basically just the anti JP. But yeah, super a**hole. And overall just not a good person. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, au302 said:

We were predicted to finish 6-6 last year I believe

I predicted 10-2, and listed reasons why that was reasonable. What others predicted is off topic.

9 hours ago, au302 said:

Anyways, this whole first year stuff is getting old. Dye, Tubs, Sunny Galloway, Butch Thompson, and Pearl are all coaches that had bad first years at Auburn

I suppose it is getting old to those who want to shut their eyes to the situation. Dye didn't go backwards, he broke even with the previous year. Unlike Harsin, Tuberville won more games than the team had won the year before. Please post the first year records of Golloway, Pearl and Thompson compared to their team's previous year's record. Did all of them take their teams to worse records? Since you (understandably) decided go away from football, I'll leave it to you to do the work and show us how much worse those guys did, if indeed they did do worse. I doubt it, but you have the opportunity prove me wrong.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You're reminding me why I had your posts hidden from my view for so long. The stupid seeps out of you.

I'll ignore the personal insult which is supposed to be a no-no here and merely suggest that you go back to hiding my posts. You should have known for a long time now that I don't value your opinion. I won't miss your comments at all.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You're talking about best case scenarios all the way around just to get to 9-3 last season,

No, 10-2 would have been a normal scenario. Best case would have been better. The players were in place.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I predicted 10-2, and listed reasons why that was reasonable. What others predicted is off topic.

I suppose it is getting old to those who want to shut their eyes to the situation. Dye didn't go backwards, he broke even with the previous year. Unlike Harsin, Tuberville won more games than the team had won the year before. Please post the first year records of Golloway, Pearl and Thompson compared to their team's previous year's record. Did all of them take their teams to worse records? Since you (understandably) decided go away from football, I'll leave it to you to do the work and show us how much worse those guys did, if indeed they did do worse. I doubt it, but you have the opportunity prove me wrong.

You're correct, but if you read my post, I did not say that Dye and Tubs "coached down" in their first years. I was simply pointing out that they did not have the Gus/Bowden fabulous first year double digit wins that you seem to expect, or in Dye's case the "coaching up" that you always point out with Heupel, Beamer, etc. I only mention Bruce/Butch since they are part of the big 3 and our two best coaches.

Sonny G- "coached down" in his first year (28-28; 10-20 conference) vs the 33-23; 13-17 team he inherited. However, Sonny's second team went 36-26; 13-17 and reached our first regional since 2010.

Butch then "coached down" that squad to a 23-33; 8-22 for a last place finish in the conference. But then, like Sunny, drastic improvement in year 2 and we know the success he's had since. Thank goodness we didn't run him outta town after that horrible year 1

Bruce inherited the biggest s***show of all time, but since we're applying the ridiculous "coach down" standard, his first squad went 15-20; 4-14 compared to the 14-16; 6-12 squad in Barbee's last year. Then a worse record in year 2

I am not claiming that Harsin is half the coach that Tubs, Dye, Butch, and Bruce are, or that he will have a quarter of the success any of them did (it's unlikely). Just think this first year coaching up/down thing you keep pointing out is overused, and frankly, ridiculous. I know we live in a society that expects instant gratification, and I understand that, but Harsin deserves roughly the same leash as anyone. It's hard to judge a coach in his first year or two when he doesn't fit with the players he inherited. The fact that Harsin's on the hot seat after one year is a joke

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, 10-2 would have been a normal scenario. Best case would have been better. The players were in place.

You are severely deluded if you actually believe that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'll ignore the personal insult which is supposed to be a no-no here and merely suggest that you go back to hiding my posts. You should have known for a long time now that I don't value your opinion. I won't miss your comments at all.

What is amazing to me is that you predicted 10-2 while most of CFB predicted somewhere between 6-8 wins max. You greatly missed the actual and you blame the coach instead of admitting you over predicted. I think because it feeds well into your negative inclinations against the AU football program since Malzahn left. I believe the actual expectation would have been around 8 wins which I believe we would have hit if not for Nix injury.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe the actual expectation would have been around 8 wins which I believe we would have hit if not for Nix injury.

Well then, you think my 10-2 is just as reasonable as the 6-6 some vague "others" predicted? You say eight wins, six and 10 are equidistant from eight..

What you and others don't want to admit is that all AU had to do in 2021 was NOT GET WORSE and it would have been 9-3. A slight boost from the anticipated improved coaching and 10-2 was right there.

Quoting: " your negative inclinations against the AU football program since Malzahn left." That's not when my negative inclinations started. Suspicion started with the number of players who decomitted from AU after Harsin took over, the PSU and Ga. State games confirmed that we had a problem and the five game losing streak pretty much sealed the deal.

Do I want Harsin to turn it around and have a super-successful season in ;22? Yes. Do I expect that? NO.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, you think my 10-2 is just as reasonable as the 6-6 some vague "others" predicted? You say eight wins, six and 10 are equidistant from eight..

What you and others don't want to admit is that all AU had to do in 2021 was NOT GET WORSE and it would have been 9-3. A slight boost from the anticipated improved coaching and 10-2 was right there.

Quoting: " your negative inclinations against the AU football program since Malzahn left." That's not when my negative inclinations started. Suspicion started with the number of players who decomitted from AU after Harsin took over, the PSU and Ga. State games confirmed that we had a problem and the five game losing streak pretty much sealed the deal.

Do I want Harsin to turn it around and have a super-successful season in ;22? Yes. Do I expect that? NO.

The problem is with your barely suppressed glee at talking about how bad Harsin is after you defended Malzahn right up until the very end, and your consistent beat of being a negative Nancy after what you didn't want to happen (Malzahn getting fired) happened. You have it stuck in your head that a "good" head coach would have turned things around immediately while ignoring the fact that the last two head coaches we had who started fast flamed out pretty quickly after that.

Which is why I brought up the one game under .500 record. The last two coaches we had who took us to sustained success started with a record one game under .500. Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe, just maybe, building something takes a little time to get all the pieces together.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

what you didn't want to happen (Malzahn getting fired) happened.

Link, please. Otherwise I call BS.

"A good head coach would have turned things around immediately..." Not what I said. I said a good head coach wouldn't have gone backwards. Sadly, AU went backwards.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Link, please. Otherwise I call BS.

"A good head coach would have turned things around immediately..." Not what I said. I said a good head coach wouldn't have gone backwards. Sadly, AU went backwards.

Any amount he went backwards was due to being left with far less than you are willing to admit and having to make do while changing to something completely different. One thing you didn't mention about that graphic of all the head coaches was that the record he was trying to match was the best of all the "previous year" records. None of the others were winning records, so he had a bigger task than any of his predecessors, now didn't he?

Don't let that keep you from continuing to bash Harsin, though. He's only the head football coach at the school you proclaim to love. He doesn't deserve time to get his program together before you start tearing him down, does he?

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

None of the others were winning records, so he had a bigger task than any of his predecessors, now didn't he?

He also inherited a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years. None of the others had the advantage of taking over a team filled with winning personnel. Thus, he had a smaller task. He didn't have to improve anything to have a winning season. His task was to not screw it up.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He also inherited a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years. None of the others had the advantage of taking over a team filled with winning personnel. Thus, he had a smaller task. He didn't have to improve anything to have a winning season. His task was to not screw it up.

No, his task is to rebuild the program into something more than what it had become. Whether you admit it or not, Gus had trashed the program. There's a reason he got fired despite not having a losing record in 8 seasons.

Rebuilds take time.

The problem is that you refuse to acknowledge it's a rebuild. This is why no one believes you when you say this isn't carryover from Malzahn: you have it stuck in your head that the team Gus built was outstanding, when that's just not the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

you have it stuck in your head that the team Gus built was outstanding, when that's just not the case.

Where did I say it was outstanding? It wasn't. It also wasn't a losing team. His rebuild, if that's what was required, was much less daunting then what most new coaches face.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Where did I say it was outstanding? It wasn't. It also wasn't a losing team. His rebuild, if that's what was required, was much less daunting then what most new coaches face.

You didn't say it was outstanding, but you have it stuck in your head that it was if you really believe your logic regarding how we should have been 10-2 last year. A completely new system with players who weren't recruited to play in that system is a recipe for growing pains.

And even that's if the veteran QB doesn't get hurt. Hmm, I wonder why there were no adequate backups in place...

It is absolutely asinine and complete garbage to say that the payout required to fire malzahn was worth it to hire Harsin. 

Gus probably does end up with a better record than Harsin did. 

However, that could all be excused if Harsin had done anything over his year and a half here to show that the future wouod be brighter. So far, he has lost both on and off the field. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

It is absolutely asinine and complete garbage to say that the payout required to fire malzahn was worth it to hire Harsin. 

However, that could all be excused if Harsin had done anything over his year and a half here to show that the future wouod be brighter. So far, he has lost both on and off the field. 

And he doesn't deserve our support unless we understand and approve of everything he's doing, right?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Not if Nix gets hurt. He probably playsDD.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

And he doesn't deserve our support unless we understand and approve of everything he's doing, right?

To try and push that as my thoughts is ingenious and shows very bad faith on your part. 

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Not if Nix gets hurt. He probably playsDD.

Gus would have used DD better than Finley was used by harsin. 

DD under Gus is a better option than Finley under Harsin

4 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Gus would have used DD better than Finley was used by harsin. 

DD under Gus is a better option than Finley under Harsin

I don’t disagree with that, but my contention is we still lose the games. We are guessing on DD.

Edited by Hank2020