Baseball vs Bammer

Sometimes, not very often, an injury actually benefits a team.   Burky strained his hammy, and Butch gave a few other guys some opportunities.   Those guys have shown that they deserve the ball.   Great team win today.   We rode Sonny for awhile.    Now, he is scuffling a little bit.   We need him to find his old self.   12ks in the last 6 games.   Very uncharacteristic for him.   Nothing like sweeping the tide and a former AU coach.

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Didn't even realize a major change in our lineup since it's been the same for so long.

Moore
DiChiara
Rambusch
Peirce
Carlson
Howell

Wonder if putting Rambusch at 3rd is to cut down on all of DiChiara's walks.

It's also to take advantage of Sonny D being on base due to all the walks. Rambo is such a good hitter that this will give him a chance to get some runners home. 

It worked out well today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Sometimes, not very often, an injury actually benefits a team.   Burky strained his hammy, and Butch gave a few other guys some opportunities.   Those guys have shown that they deserve the ball.   Great team win today.   We rode Sonny for awhile.    Now, he is scuffling a little bit.   We need him to find his old self.   12ks in the last 6 games.   Very uncharacteristic for him.   Nothing like sweeping the tide and a former AU coach.

He's been around long enough by this point in the season that SEC pitchers know how to pitch to him....or they just walk him to cut out any chance of RBIs or homers. Sonny is a little frustrated by that. I think he'll come around.

I want to give a shout out to the much maligned Bobby Peirce. What a great baseball player he is. Really happy that he's making the most of his opportunity to play this season. He has been a real difference-maker in big games.

WDE BP!

• Like 4

Want to shout out Isbell and Sheehan for doing well recently. As we saw with Horn in 2019, even if you're cleared, it still takes time to recover from TJ and I will wait a couple months post clearing to see how these guys are doing in the season from recovering from partial TJ

• Like 4

Dominant bullpen, resilient offense power No. 20 Auburn past Alabama

Alabama struck for four runs on four hits in the first inning, but a dominant bullpen allowed Auburn's offense to chip away at the Crimson Tide's lead, eventually coming all the way back to complete the Tigers' 18th come-from-behind victory this year.

"Today was a good day to win a series," head coach Butch Thompson said. "We had a tough start but maintained good composure. It took a long time for us to get back in the ballgame, but those fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh innings we linked up to score a run every inning.

"Only four baserunners reached the last eight innings," Thompson added. "Our pitching staff just grinded through trying to get us back in this ballgame. Carson Swilling came in and really mixed his pitches before turning it over to Chase Allsup. This was Allsup's moment. We had Burkhalter ready to go, but we ended up not needing him."

Auburn (35-16, 15-11 SEC) was forced to turn to the bullpen in the second inning. Tommy Sheehan, Swilling (3-2, 5.62), and Allsup made up the relief effort and held Alabama scoreless and to only two hits with one walk and seven strikeouts, ultimately facing just three batters over the minimum in their eight innings of work.

"I was just trying to stay within myself and do what I can," Sheehan said. "We knew they were a good fastball hitting team, so we were trying to get a good mix of pitches in there today which worked well for me and the guys that followed me."

After scoring in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings to tie the game, 4-4, Bobby Peirce delivered the go-ahead RBI single t give Auburn the lead for good. The go-ahead hit was Peirce's third in SEC play. The right fielder continued to make things happen on the base paths, eventually extending the lead to two as he scored on a wild pitch.

"I've said it once and I'll say it again, we never quit," Peirce said. "We just kept chipping away and battling."

Alabama (27-24, 10-16 SEC) jumped out to an early lead after striking for four runs in the first inning. All four runs were scored with two outs and followed a bang-bang potential double play. The big blow for the Crimson Tide came on a three-run home run.

The big first frame forced Auburn to turn to the bullpen in the second inning. Sheehan entered looking to keep the Tigers in the ballgame, and the graduate transfer did just that by tossing four shutout innings while allowing one hit and one walk with four stirkeouts.

Auburn cut into Alabama's advantage in the fourth inning on Peirce's solo home run. The blast was his sixth of the season and made it a 4-1 ballgame.

The Tigers continued to fight back, adding two more runs in the fifth. With runners on first and second, Sonny DiChiara grounded a ball to first base that was thrown away. On the play, Garrett Farquhar came around to score. Rambusch then lined a ball to center for an RBI single to cut the Crimson Tide's lead to one.

Sheehan turned the ball over to Swilling in the sixth inning, and the right-hander set Alabama down in order in his first inning of work, ultimately throwing two scoreless innings without allowing a hit or walk and adding a strikeout en route to earning the win.

With the bullpen continuing to put up zeroes, Brooks Carlson led off the bottom half of the sixth inning with a single before Kason Howell delivered a sacrifice bunt to move Carlson to second. With two outs in the inning, Nate LaRue came up with the game-tying hit on an RBI single to center field to plate Carlson and tie the game at four.

Auburn pushed across a run in the seventh inning to take the lead from Alabama. Rambusch connected on a two out single and then stole second base. Peirce lined an RBI single into right field to give the Tigers a 5-4 lead. Carlson followed with another single that moved Peirce to third base. Peirce then scored on a wild pitch to increase the Auburn advantage to two.

Chase Allsup worked the final two frames in scoreless fashion to earn his second save of the year. The freshman allowed one hit with no walks and two strikeouts, ultimately facing the minimum in his two innings of work thanks to a timely double play.  

Offensively, Rambusch and Peirce led the way for the Tigers. Rambusch collected three hits and an RBI on the way to recording his 25th multi-hit game of the season. Peirce delivered two hits, including a homer, and drove in a pair. Four Auburn players had multiple hits in the win.

Game three of the series is set for Sunday at 3 p.m. C.T. at Plainsman Park.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Former coaches. 5/7 of the Bama staff are former Auburn baseball employees.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice win for the Boys of Summer!

Great win, love to see us chip away and win. Play of day was no play on hustle by Moore and Rambush chasing foul around top 8. Butch agreed in post game.

• Like 1

This team is a reflection of their head coach.   Every pitch matters.   Every foul ball matters.  We might not run out 9 every night that are better than the opposing 9, but we will run out 9 that will play harder, hustle more and compete harder than your 9 every night.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, AUlurker said:

Allsup is starting to have a closer's mentality. Sets us up well for postseason play.

I have been big on Allsup sine the first game he pitched. He's a great talent and he's developed nicely. Very excited about his career at Auburn and beyond.

The batting order changes worked today. Personally, if I've got two good hitters and one of them is a good bit faster, I'd want the fast guy batting in front of the slower guy. Again, Butch's changes worked today and he knows his kids better than I do.

Let's get the sweep tomorrow!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

The batting order changes worked today. Personally, if I've got two good hitters and one of them is a good bit faster, I'd want the fast guy batting in front of the slower guy. Again, Butch's changes worked today and he knows his kids better than I do.

Let's get the sweep tomorrow!

Solid logic.  I think Belle stated it earlier that CBT is trying to get Sonny a few more pitches to hit.   Having Rambusch behind him should make that possible.    Sonny may be the largest 2 hole hitter in AU history...  Brodie has been seeing the ball better and has above average speed.   If Pierce and Carlson keep hitting look out...   Is Cole injured?

14 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Allsup is starting to have a closer's mentality. Sets us up well for postseason play.

Bringing it yesterday. More than a few looking for him as our next “top gun” on the mound in the future.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Solid logic.  I think Belle stated it earlier that CBT is trying to get Sonny a few more pitches to hit.   Having Rambusch behind him should make that possible.    Sonny may be the largest 2 hole hitter in AU history...  Brodie has been seeing the ball better and has above average speed.   If Pierce and Carlson keep hitting look out...   Is Cole injured?

Tweaked his leg on the headfirst home plate slide Friday.  Same play the bams catcher got hurt 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Game about to start. Kason Howell is making his 100th consecutive start!

Also, in non Auburn news ...

Cincinnati Reds threw a combined no-hitter today ... and lost 1-0.

• Haha 1

Moore grounds out.

DiChiara with a 1 pitch ground out.

Rambusch with a 3 pitch ground out.

Bama answers with a 9 pitch inning.

0-0 T2nd

1 pitch fly out followed by a 10 pitch at bat single.

3 pitch double play!

Peirce, Carlson, Howell coming up.

0-0 B2nd

If anyone wants to do updates they can. I'm not able to watch and there's technical issues making it where I can't listen to it either. I'll update via statbroadcast but it's not as good as when I can at least listen.

Peirce lines out on a full count.

Carlson draws a full count walk!

2 pitch fly out for Howell.

Land gets a full count as well but strikes out looking.

0-0 T3rd