Greene 'absolutely' wants to stay at Auburn

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, Didba said:

These insiders are batting .150 after all the swings and misses during the scandal this past off-season.  I personally wouldn't put much stock into anything they have to say regarding the football program.  However, they tend to be more reliable on basketball and overall auburn stuff.

Frankly, I don't give a damn anymore about the "insiders" or the potato boys. A lot of these people just want Auburn to be a cow college with a good football team that beats Bama. They can't see beyond that. They can't see that Auburn could be one of the best public universities in America with an athletic program that excels in everything. A real everything school. Auburn has a lot going for it. It really could become something great with the right leadership. That won't happen as long as we got a bunch of good ole' boys who want Auburn to be like it was in the 1970s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

If this is the case, then why did you feel the need to ask “why has he been interviewing?”

Because it was the next thing that popped into his head that could paint ADAG in a negative light...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Didba said:

In every field of work, people continue to interview elsewhere even if they have no plans of leaving their current position.  Interviewing elsewhere sets up relationships for the future, allows you to keep your interviewing skills sharp, is a metric for how valuable you are to others in the industry, allows you to leverage yourself into better positions for the future, etc.

I have no fault in ADAG interviewing elsewhere, it would be more concerning to me if he wasn't interviewing elsewhere. 

Although what I am about to say doesn’t necessarily apply to Greene, continuing to interview elsewhere and hopping jobs can have negative impacts.  If a company is paying you to do a job and your mind is always occupied with your next interview it can lead to a premature exit.  A good example of this in recent Auburn football history is former running backs coach Tim Horton.

Having on your resume a history of jumping ship every year or two can deter a lot of companies from taking you too.  That is something we look for actually when interviewing.

Now, to play devil’s advocate on myself, there are some industries where this does not matter at all.  Nursing is a great example.  Another is the banking industry.  The only way to move up it seems is to change companies.  It’s like a merry-go-round. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, abw0004 said:

If a company is paying you to do a job and your mind is always occupied with your next interview it can lead to a premature exit. 

Having on your resume a history of jumping ship every year or two can deter a lot of companies from taking you too.  That is something we look for actually when interviewing.

This is totally fair, and I agree with it, though I wasn't speaking to anything that extreme.  Interviewing 5-6 times in one year at other companies, every year with a history of only working at one place for two years max is a huuuuge red flag in most fields.

I was more speaking to someone interviewing once or twice every couple of years to do their due diligence and test the market, while staying at the same company for say ten years, only leaving if they receive an offer that the current employer cant match/other extrinsic factors besides $$$ that make it worth the switch.

Thanks for pointing out the other side of the coin though, its always good to hear your perspective.

• Like 1

If Greene has been canvassing other jobs while he’s at AU, and some think that’s the normal thing for him to do, then why don’t we hear about other program’s AD’s doing the same?  I can’t believe that’s “normal” business for an active AD…. It’s frankly disrespectful to Auburn.

Auburn pays his salary, act loyal while you’re drawing that paycheck. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of another AD actively interviewing numerous other schools and then him publicly stating how much he loves his job.  The whole thing has been strange and out of the ordinary, especially the insinuation that Auburn has been finding him interviews.  Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Oh he hasn’t interviewed anywhere else? Oh please, do tell us more …

Its known fact ADAG has interviewed at Michigan State, Northwestern and UCLA … just to name those that are widely known about.

He didn’t get any of those jobs.  Ever wonder why?  

He’s in way over his head. I want him gone because we can and should expect to do better.

How do you know we can do better?  Are the last 2 AU AD’s prior to Greene proof that we can do better?  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

If Greene has been canvassing other jobs while he’s at AU, and some think that’s the normal thing for him to do, then why don’t we hear about other program’s AD’s doing the same?  I can’t believe that’s “normal” business for an active AD…. It’s frankly disrespectful to Auburn.

Auburn pays his salary, act loyal while you’re drawing that paycheck. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of another AD actively interviewing numerous other schools and then him publicly stating how much he loves his job.  The whole thing has been strange and out of the ordinary, especially the insinuation that Auburn has been finding him interviews.  Lol

Other program's ADs definitely do it as well unless its a blue blood program.  You just don't hear about it because a) you aren't a fan of their school or on their forums, b) many school's fan bases aren't as easily riled to a fever pitch like Auburn's, and c) because on this forum we have a certain group of posters that constantly bring up anything bad about ADAG.

Its not disrespectful, it's literally business and the higher ups in the admin totally understand it. Its very acceptable in the business community to do your due diligence and interview around.  Coaches do it, CEOs do it, ADs do it.

Edited by Didba

I guess the days of showing loyalty to your employer are over?  

Personally I feel Greene has done a good job considering what he inherited from Jacobs where 3-4 programs were floundering or in hot water. I.e. Sunny Galloway baseball  lawsuit, Persons basketball fiasco, softball and the Meyer’s Title 9 embarrassment, some kind of racial discrimination allegation case with an asst coach, Steven Leath directing Greene to cut athletics budget…. 

Total craziness and disarray. I commend Greene for navigating through that mess and getting the FOF built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Probably so and if I am our AD I will sit pretty and let them do that , while I do my job. 

Would be wise on his part, but does he really have any other option?

He didn't get any other jobs, he's not just going to quit, and we aren't going to fire him. 

I think he comes out of all this clean in the public eye, so I don't think he will have a hard time landing on his feet if he isn't retained. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Would be wise on his part, but does he really have any other option?

He didn't get any other jobs, he's not just going to quit, and we aren't going to fire him. 

I think he comes out of all this clean in the public eye, so I don't think he will have a hard time landing on his feet if he isn't retained. 

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, au4life77 said:

Frankly, I don't give a damn anymore about the "insiders" or the potato boys. A lot of these people just want Auburn to be a cow college with a good football team that beats Bama. They can't see beyond that. They can't see that Auburn could be one of the best public universities in America with an athletic program that excels in everything. A real everything school. Auburn has a lot going for it. It really could become something great with the right leadership. That won't happen as long as we got a bunch of good ole' boys who want Auburn to be like it was in the 1970s.

*As long as we have the toughest schedule in the country every year

I'd love a job that pays 100s of thousands each year too, wooo! Team spirit, let me write the students a love note to create some leverage. 

3 hours ago, au4life77 said:

This forum is unbelievable. Lots of toxic bitter people here now. No wonder it isn't as busy as it used to be.

Lets take a minute to look at the state of the Auburn athletic department under Greene. Almost all of our programs are heading in the right direction. Almost all of the coaching hires Greene has made have been good ones. Greene is popular with the student athletes and coaches. There is now a real family atmosphere between the different sports with student athletes supporting other student athletes from different sports. Overall the athletic department at Auburn University is doing real good right now, and its certainly better  than when Greene got here.

Yeah, I know our starting quarterback got hurt last year and we didn't have a good backup. That led us to finish with only 6 wins instead of 9 and this got the Harsin haters into a frenzy. All I'm asking these people is to calm down and see the big picture.

Tell us more about the hires Greene made …

Also your comment about him being widely popular with the coaches is simply not true.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keesler said:

I guess the days of showing loyalty to your employer are over?  

Personally I feel Greene has done a good job considering what he inherited from Jacobs where 3-4 programs were floundering or in hot water. I.e. Sunny Galloway baseball  lawsuit, Persons basketball fiasco, softball and the Meyer’s Title 9 embarrassment, some kind of racial discrimination allegation case with an asst coach, Steven Leath directing Greene to cut athletics budget…. 

Total craziness and disarray. I commend Greene for navigating through that mess and getting the FOF built. 

Yes, the days of showing absolute loyalty to your employer are over and have been over for a long time.   Most employers know that good employees are gonna interview around because their skills are valued, smart employers just match the other offer if there is one and they want to retain the employee.  This has been standard operating procedure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Also your comment about him being widely popular with the coaches is simply not true.

So Greene’s not happy or satisfied here (looking for a new job) and the coaches aren’t happy with their boss?  Sounds like it’s past time for a separation, which is troublesome considering the Harsin is a new and has a ton to prove this year. 
Pray tell, who will be our AD next year?  What does the short list look like?  

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

So Greene’s not happy or satisfied here (looking for a new job) and the coaches aren’t happy with their boss?  Sounds like it’s past time for a separation, which is troublesome considering the Harsin is a new and has a ton to prove this year. 
Pray tell, who will be our AD next year?  What does the short list look like?  

It’s not the ADAG isn’t happy here, it’s that he’s been told his contract isn’t being renewed.  I’m just saying the “I love it here” is pure playing games.

I don’t have a name for you yet, I’ve heard we’re swinging for the fences, not sure what that means or who that could be.

There’s two internal candidates who want it but each have their own baggage.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

why don't you tell us.

16 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

why don't you tell us.

He cant.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Yes, the days of showing absolute loyalty to your employer are over and have been over for a long time.   Most employers know that good employees are gonna interview around because their skills are valued, smart employers just match the other offer if there is one and they want to retain the employee.  This has been standard operating procedure.

Exactly right and thank God employees aren’t blindly loyal to their employers. Companies certainly aren’t loyal to their employees. They will lay off hundreds before anyone at the top takes a pay cut. 

Imagine having a family to support and not maximizing your earning potential out of loyalty to a company. Putting company above yourself and family is about as foolish as it gets. 

• Like 1

Just now, RunInRed said:

It’s not the ADAG isn’t happy here, it’s that he’s been told his contract isn’t being renewed.  

I don’t have a name for you yet, I’ve heard we’re swinging for the fences, not sure what that means or who that could be.

swinging for the fence huh! Auburn is not a place where someone with integrity wants to be, these Auburn boards are full of teenage he said she said, you should be glad we have someone of Allen Greene professionalism and ability to represent and be an ambassador for Auburn University, your mad he hasn't trip himself up to be fired, and you seem to have an axe to grind with the man. I believe I  know why, and I'll hang up and listen..

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Exactly right and thank God employees aren’t blindly loyal to their employers. Companies certainly aren’t loyal to their employees. They will lay off hundreds before anyone at the top takes a pay cut. 

Imagine having a family to support and not maximizing your earning potential out of loyalty to a company. Putting company above yourself and family is about as foolish as it gets. 

Was just typing something similar out so I'll just leave you with a nice gif of Norm...

duh.gif

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

swinging for the fence huh! Auburn is not a place where someone with integrity wants to be, these Auburn boards are full of teenage he said she said, you should be glad we have someone of Allen Greene professionalism and ability to represent and be an ambassador for Auburn University, your mad he hasn't trip himself up to be fired, and you seem to have an axe to grind with the man. I believe I  know why, and I'll hang up and listen..

If you think he just has an axe to grind with AG, then I can't wait for you to hear what he has to say about CBH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

It’s not the ADAG isn’t happy here, it’s that he’s been told his contract isn’t being renewed.  I’m just saying the “I love it here” is pure playing games.

If it's either Tim Jackson or McGlynn I will puke. Both would be downgrades and a return to the GOB network. And look, I'm not arguing for ADAG, but outside of football I don't see a reason to change course unless the other coaches truly are still really bitter, which I get the vibe that that has calmed down considerably.

Most other programs seem to be doing fine, whether Greene has anything to do with that or not. If I'm Roberts I wait until October. If it looks like Harsin's gonna survive, extend ADAG a year or two. If not, fire him in October and hire a new guy by the end of the season to lead the search for the next coach 

44 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

It's the same ole same ole. We're gonna go after Bob Stoops, Venables, Napier. We're doing NIL so great and it's gonna be awesome..... our NIL ends up having a ton of issues and has to be overhauled. I take any info I can get, but at the same time I understand that there are really no more insiders at Auburn. Haven't been for a minute. Sucks for message board material but good for the athletic department I suppose 

22 hours ago, DAG said:

Well they could always fire him

Nope. The optics on that would look really bad.

• Like 1