Transfer Portal News & Tracker

Zeek

Class of 2022 JUCO DT Taylor Lewis earns Auburn offer, will visit soon

Jeffrey Leeabout 5 hours
former-auburn-defensive-back-announces-transfer-destination-eric-reed-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets (Photo by Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Auburn on Monday offered College of the Canyons (Calif.) Community College defensive tackle Taylor Lewis.

The Tigers became the latest school to jump into the mix for the Class of 2022 junior college defensive tackle.

“Coach Jimmy (Brumbaugh) called (Monday) morning and offered me,” Lewis said. “It felt great. It was a good way to wake up and start the day. Auburn is another great offer and another great opportunity.”

Auburn also is home to former teammate and close friend Marquis Burks. Lewis and Burks both are from Chicago and both were at Iowa Central Community College in the fall of 2018.

“That’s my boy,” Lewis said of Burks. “We’re from the same city and grew up together. He’s been talking to me about Auburn. He said I would love it and it’s the place to be. This is his last year (at Auburn), so I would get to play with him.”

Lewis also has offers from Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, Oregon State and Washington State, among others. 

He plans to take an official visit to Oregon State on Friday (May 20-22).

An official visit to Auburn is in the works.

“We’re working on setting that up now,” Lewis said. “I’m going to get down to Auburn, for sure, and I’m going to visit Nebraska as well.”

Lewis plans take the visit as soon as possible and enroll at the college of his choice in June. He has two years to play two.

Lewis graduated in 2018 from Kenwood Academy in Chicago, Ill. He then spent one year as a redshirt at Iowa Central Community College before transferring in the fall of 2019 to College of the Canyons. He played as a redshirt freshman in 2019 and as a sophomore in 2021. College of the Canyons did not play in 2020 due to the pandemic.

In six games as a sophomore in 2021, Lewis had 18 tackles, including seven solos, and 1.5 tackles for loss.

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

If I were Harsin, this would be driving me nuts. If they don't bring in top recruits this year he's got to reconsider the recruiting approach you'd think. Find/overpay an O-line that can recruit at the highest level. Perhaps bring in more alum with NFL O-line experience to make the development options more attractive. TBH, I am surprised none of this happened this past year. 

I think he’s trying different things for the upcoming class. We’ll see if it pays off. Nothing really matters if we have another mediocre season though IMO

• Like 1

19 hours ago, toddc said:

Jeffrey Leeabout 5 hours
former-auburn-defensive-back-announces-transfer-destination-eric-reed-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets (Photo by Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Auburn on Monday offered College of the Canyons (Calif.) Community College defensive tackle Taylor Lewis.

The Tigers became the latest school to jump into the mix for the Class of 2022 junior college defensive tackle.

“Coach Jimmy (Brumbaugh) called (Monday) morning and offered me,” Lewis said. “It felt great. It was a good way to wake up and start the day. Auburn is another great offer and another great opportunity.”

Auburn also is home to former teammate and close friend Marquis Burks. Lewis and Burks both are from Chicago and both were at Iowa Central Community College in the fall of 2018.

“That’s my boy,” Lewis said of Burks. “We’re from the same city and grew up together. He’s been talking to me about Auburn. He said I would love it and it’s the place to be. This is his last year (at Auburn), so I would get to play with him.”

Lewis also has offers from Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, Oregon State and Washington State, among others. 

“We’re working on setting that up now,” Lewis said. “I’m going to get down to Auburn, for sure, and I’m going to visit Nebraska as well.”

Lewis plans take the visit as soon as possible and enroll at the college of his choice in June. He has two years to play two.

Lewis graduated in 2018 from Kenwood Academy in Chicago, Ill. He then spent one year as a redshirt at Iowa Central Community College before transferring in the fall of 2019 to College of the Canyons. He played as a redshirt freshman in 2019 and as a sophomore in 2021. College of the Canyons did not play in 2020 due to the pandemic.

In six games as a sophomore in 2021, Lewis had 18 tackles, including seven solos, and 1.5 tackles for loss.

Word is we're no longer interested. No clue what happened.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, toddc said:

Jeffrey Leeabout 5 hours

Really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here

They got no choice at this point sadly. Better scout the FCS and even JUCO ranks and try to find undervalued guys with only a year left to provide reps this year (think Bydarius Knighten). They'll clear out after one year so won't affect next years numbers. Not ideal at all, but it's where we're at 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

They got no choice at this point sadly. Better scout the FCS and even JUCO ranks and try to find undervalued guys with only a year left to provide reps this year (think Bydarius Knighten). They'll clear out after one year so won't affect next years numbers. Not ideal at all, but it's where we're at 

I honestly don't understand how there are JUCO kids available right now.  Last week or so didn't we offer a JUCO OL?  I think UF offered him too, not sure where it stands, but I can't imagine any of these JUCO guys are truly any good.

As long as we use our 7 extra spots (I think we have 1 or 2 left?)....but at this point no reason to waste scholarships.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I honestly don't understand how there are JUCO kids available right now.  Last week or so didn't we offer a JUCO OL?  I think UF offered him too, not sure where it stands, but I can't imagine any of these JUCO guys are truly any good.

As long as we use our 7 extra spots (I think we have 1 or 2 left?)....but at this point no reason to waste scholarships.

With the scholarship limits being pulled, I'd bring in a bunch of guys over the next few weeks. No need to even be that picky since you can now just cut them in December if they suck. At minimum these JUCO dudes would probably be better emergency bodies than the walk-ons we'll end up giving scholarships to

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Word is we're no longer interested. No clue what happened.

Sooooo on May 17th we offer and are interested and do alll these write ups and articles on him....

....and on May 18th....we are no longer interested. 

Only with these recruiting coaches do we get this. Geez.....

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Sooooo on May 17th we offer and are interested and do alll these write ups and articles on him....

....and on May 18th....we are no longer interested. 

Only with these recruiting coaches do we get this. Geez.....

I feel like Auburn should hire me for PR lol

I'm assuming conflicting sources. This staff still remains pretty tight lipped with the beat reporters.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm assuming conflicting sources. This staff still remains pretty tight lipped with the beat reporters.

I don't care who says what at what time, as long as the end result is in the best interest for the team. We'll know who the best 11 are by week 1.

New offer just went out. Cole Pinkston expects this to be a "feeding frenzy" of teams fighting for this linebacker. Supposedly the most athletic player left in the portal.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, au302 said:

With the scholarship limits being pulled, I'd bring in a bunch of guys over the next few weeks. No need to even be that picky since you can now just cut them in December if they suck. At minimum these JUCO dudes would probably be better emergency bodies than the walk-ons we'll end up giving scholarships to

Agree.  With the change in rules this makes my post pointless.  Load up and get to the 85 with whatever bodies we have and then force em out if needed.  This isn't a time to ***** foot around and not be ruthless.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

On3 is the PR department at the moment

Auburn offer 'amazing' to JMU grad transfer LB Diamonté Tucker-Dorsey

(Photo by Douglas P. DeFelice/Getty Images)

Auburn on Wednesday offered James Madison graduate transfer linebacker Diamontè Tucker-Dorsey.

Tucker-Dorsey, who has one year of eligibility, learned of the offer during a conversation with Auburn defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding and linebackers coach Christian Robinson.

“It felt amazing,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “Auburn is an SEC school, so it’s big for me to be offered to come and play on that big stage. It’s exciting. It’s really exciting.”

Tucker-Dorsey spoke in-depth with Schmedding and Robinson about the opportunity at Auburn.

“They were straightforward with me,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “They told me what it is and what it isn’t and told me where I would fit in on the team. Also, they said they liked my film and feel like I can help the team and that they wanted me. 

“And that’s really what I wanted to hear. As a younger recruit, you want to be buttered up, hear about all the facilities and stuff like that, but I’m at a point in my life where I want to come in and win, come in and play.”

Tucker-Dorsey hot commodity in transfer portal

Schmedding and Robinson emphasized with Tucker-Dorsey that Auburn wouldn’t be the easy road.

“They told me I’d have to come in and work,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “The first thing they wanted to get across is that it wouldn’t be a cake walk, but if I came in and worked that I could play and help the team win. Those are the things they talked about and I was very pleased with it.

“I’m definitely considering it.”

Tucker-Dorsey entered the transfer portal on Tuesday. In the first 48 hours, he earned offers from Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss, Texas, UCF and Texas A&M. More offers likely will come.

“I’ll take a couple of visits and see what’s out there,” he said.

Tucker-Dorsey, who originally is from Norfolk, Va., is highly coveted for many reasons. As a senior in 2021, he finished with 116 tackles, nine tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four interceptions. 

Edited by toddc

He's apparently 5'10 if his 247 profile is right?  Would be interesting to see how he could handle it.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Auburn offer 'amazing' to JMU grad transfer LB Diamonté Tucker-Dorsey

(Photo by Douglas P. DeFelice/Getty Images)

Auburn on Wednesday offered James Madison graduate transfer linebacker Diamontè Tucker-Dorsey.

Tucker-Dorsey, who has one year of eligibility, learned of the offer during a conversation with Auburn defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding and linebackers coach Christian Robinson.

“It felt amazing,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “Auburn is an SEC school, so it’s big for me to be offered to come and play on that big stage. It’s exciting. It’s really exciting.”

Tucker-Dorsey spoke in-depth with Schmedding and Robinson about the opportunity at Auburn.

“They were straightforward with me,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “They told me what it is and what it isn’t and told me where I would fit in on the team. Also, they said they liked my film and feel like I can help the team and that they wanted me. 

“And that’s really what I wanted to hear. As a younger recruit, you want to be buttered up, hear about all the facilities and stuff like that, but I’m at a point in my life where I want to come in and win, come in and play.”

Tucker-Dorsey hot commodity in transfer portal

Schmedding and Robinson emphasized with Tucker-Dorsey that Auburn wouldn’t be the easy road.

“They told me I’d have to come in and work,” Tucker-Dorsey said. “The first thing they wanted to get across is that it wouldn’t be a cake walk, but if I came in and worked that I could play and help the team win. Those are the things they talked about and I was very pleased with it.

“I’m definitely considering it.”

Tucker-Dorsey entered the transfer portal on Tuesday. In the first 48 hours, he earned offers from Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss, Texas, UCF and Texas A&M. More offers likely will come.

“I’ll take a couple of visits and see what’s out there,” he said.

Tucker-Dorsey, who originally is from Norfolk, Va., is highly coveted for many reasons. As a senior in 2021, he finished with 116 tackles, nine tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four interceptions. 

Would fit a depth piece on D would be a very good get if we can convince him.  Then we need a solid Edge for depth and I would feel like we will have addressed our biggest needs on Defense. The edge would need to have at least 2 years eligibility. I wonder if Okoli can be an Edge player also Powell might be able to help at Edge and LB. Hayword should be arriving soon adding to our LB depth depending on how healthy he is and how quick he can learn the position.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Would fit a depth piece on D would be a very good get if we can convince him.  Then we need a solid Edge for depth and I would feel like we will have addressed our biggest needs on Defense. The edge would need to have at least 2 years eligibility. I wonder if Okoli can be an Edge player also Powell might be able to help at Edge and LB. Hayword should be arriving soon adding to our LB depth depending on how healthy he is and how quick he can learn the position.

I've read that we want the EDGE we bring in, if we ever get one, to be a one and done guy. They want a big 2023 EDGE class and are selling Russaw, etc on taking over immediately. That said with new rules might as well get whoever you can. You can process them back out. Burkhalter from UCLA is the one I've heard but apparently he also has things to work out academically and it would be a late summer addition if we pursue 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Maverick.AU said:

First  team All Big Ten Returner

He already used transfer portal to go from Buffaloe to Iowa so would he have to sit out a year?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He already used transfer portal to go from Buffaloe to Iowa so would he have to sit out a year?

Supposedly no because he's a grad and the NCAA is handing out waivers to those guys like candy right now. Roc is our in with this guy from their time at Buffalo, but apparently Purdue back door'ed this one before he entered the portal....

We whiffed on Charlie Jones. It was always assumed he was lined up to go to Purdue before entering the portal, but we hoped to get him on campus. Now we are circling back to Koy Moore. He was supposed to visit in the winter, I believe, but we cancelled because I believe he had to get his grades right.

He is now coming this weekend. Basically, this seems like literally the last option. If Ike and Harsin whiff yet again I doubt we get another portal receiver. 

• 2 weeks later...