All hell has broken loose

aubiefifty

On 5/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, AUght2win said:

One thing people need to explain to me. The author refers to colleges and athletic departments generating “billions” and becoming “private Fortune 500 companies”.

Besides millionaire coaches, who else is getting rich on the college side thanks to NCAA sports? Can you point to an SID or administrative assistant or  professor or university president who is bankrolled by college sports? 

Essentially asking, who are the billionaires and millionaires who made a fortune on college athletics outside of college football and basketball coaches?

It doesn’t happen. It’s a BS narrative. Very few people “get rich off the backs of these kids”. The money is mostly pumped back into the AD to support other programs and help the university. And therefore, the system isn’t nearly as immoral or exploitive as it sounds.

The media money he discusses really doesn’t even go directly back to the school. For example, it all goes to the SEC, then the SEC disperses the monies equally amongst all universities. As you said, with the exception of the coaches, I don’t know of any one person that is directly getting paid due to sports media dollars.

The campuses that now have waterslides, rolling rivers, unbelievable gymnasiums and other 5 star facilities are a result of some of these dollars. In theory… all students would benefit, especially student athletes by the money raised. But you are correct, it’s not like the University Pres, Vice Pres, AD, College Professors etc. are making hundreds of millions of dollars off of sports media.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, AUght2win said:

Besides millionaire coaches, who else is getting rich on the college side thanks to NCAA sports?

Jimmy Sexton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Play for pay. It's np longer an amateur sport. So what's in it for me a young person might say? Does a college education mean anything to them, or is it just the play for pay now? What's a scholarship worth to those making thousands or millions playing ball? There was a time when a scholarship really meant something...an education, and making a living building for one's future. Seems like all that is by the wayside as long as "I get paid to play." Can't play ball forever hoss fly. 35-40 and your usually washed up by then. At 35 or 40 at the most there is still a whole lot of living to do. What you gonna do when all that "pay for play" runs out? The scholarship was wasted for most...

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Play for pay. It's np longer an amateur sport. So what's in it for me a young person might say? Does a college education mean anything to them, or is it just the play for pay now? What's a scholarship worth to those making thousands or millions playing ball? There was a time when a scholarship really meant something...an education, and making a living building for one's future. Seems like all that is by the wayside as long as "I get paid to play." Can't play ball forever hoss fly. 35-40 and your usually washed up by then. At 35 or 40 at the most there is still a whole lot of living to do. What you gonna do when all that "pay for play" runs out? The scholarship was wasted for most...

Obviously there are those that the degree means something. There is also no reason that they can’t get an education once pay for play is over. There are also those that ( just like in non athletics) that would never go to college if not fir college athletics.