2022 DL Transfer: Morris Joseph COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!

Zeek

Screenshot_20220518-190420_ESPN.jpg

Expected to announce his decision tonight. Obviously his 7 sacks in 2020 are appealing. I think this is a depth target. He'll have two more years with his COVID season.

2 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

How's our chances?

We're supposedly the favorite.

Pow! He was one of our top DL targets in the portal. Adds much needed depth and experience.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Zeek changed the title to 2022 DL Transfer: Morris Joseph COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!

Good pickup imo. I mean, can't hurt right, we got spots. Looks like he could be a solid rotational piece

• Like 2

Adding MoJo to the defense. 👍

• Like 3

Our last 2 transfer pickups have been quiet as hell announcement wise. I don’t see that somebody committed until hours later. 

• Like 3

Memphis transfer Morris Joseph commits to Auburn

ByKeith Niebuhr 12 hours ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Morris Joseph, a defensive line transfer from Memphis, committed to Auburn on Wednesday night. 

He officially visited the Tigers a few days ago. 

“I loved my visit,” Joseph told Inside the Auburn Tigers' Mark Murphy after his visit. “I had a great time. We really just hung out with the coaches and staff. We went around the town so I got to see all of Auburn and a lot of great food spots.”

In 2021, Joseph played in 10 games at Memphis with nine starts. He finished the year with 38 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Per Murphy, he "has 117 tackles as a college player with a season high in 2020 when he made 52 with seven quarterback sacks. Prior to playing at Memphis he was at Iowa Western Community College and the University of Texas–San Antonio."

Joseph has one season of eligibility remaining.

He is listed at 6-foot-2 and 275 pounds. Joseph is originally from Orange, Texas.

He entered the portal on February 28 and committed to Georgia Tech on March 24. But that obviously didn't work out. 

Some numbers, courtesy of 247Sports' Danny West ...

13COMMENTS

2021 (Senior)

• Appeared in 10 games for the Tigers, earning nine starts
• Totaled 38 tackles, 20 solo, with 4.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and one quarterback hurry
• Had six stops, five solo, with two tackles for loss against UTSA
• Also had six tackles in win over Navy
• Notched three tackles, one tackle for loss and one sack in win over No. 23/24 SMU
• Posted two tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks and a quarterback hurry against East Carolina

2020 (Junior)

• Member of the 8-3 Tigers who won the 2020 Montgomery Bowl
• Appeared in all 11 games on the season, earning 10 starts
• Totaled 52 tackles, 39 solo, to go with 10.5 TFL, seven sacks and two quarterback hurries
• Had a season-high 10 tackles and a quarterback hurry in the Montgomery Bowl against Florida Atlantic
• Tallied a season-best 2.5 TFL along with a sack in win over Houston

2019 (Sophomore)

• Appeared in all 14 contests in Memphis’ 12-2 American Athletic Conference Championship season
• Finished with 27 tackles (11 solo) including 3.0 TFL and 2.0 sacks
• Registered first career TFL against Southern
• Recorded a career-high six tackles against Navy, the same game in which he recorded his first career sack
• Had at least five tackles twice and finished the season with eight multi-tackle performances

2018 (at Iowa Western CC)

• Transferred to Iowa Western CC from UTSA
• In one season on the defensive line, he racked up 35 tackles, nine TFL, seven sacks and three forced fumbles
• Also recorded a block

Prior to Memphis/Personal

• Three-star recruit by 247Sports.com out of West Orange-Stark High School in Orange, Texas
• Other offers included Colorado, Houston, Rice and Texas State out of high school
 Birthday is September 1

Comments (13)

I'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.  We needed a body, I'm not sure he's much more than depth/down the roster rotational player.

SDE Wooden / M'Ba or Morris Joseph or Okoli
DT Harris/Walker
NT Jones/Burks
Edge Hall/Leota/Hall

I'm sure we'll have combinations with guys on the field at the same time.  He might be able to slide inside to DT to rush the passer?  Believe he has two years so if he turns out capable, he could be inline for more playing time in '23 with Wooden gone.

Seems like a solid depth piece that we can utilize. War Eagle and welcome to Auburn.  Our D is solid this year what we lack is depth in a few places some of our recent commits have addressed some of that.  A couple more players on D and I will feel really good about Defense as a whole. I don't expect to get much help from Portal for this years O-line so best we can do it improve defensive depth and maybe find another WR on O.  Next years Class will have to address O-Line from HS for Future and JUCO and Portal for 2023 both for starters and depth. Really need to develop the Current young O-Line guys for next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.  We needed a body, I'm not sure he's much more than depth/down the roster rotational player.

SDE Wooden / M'Ba or Morris Joseph or Okoli
DT Harris/Walker
NT Jones/Burks
Edge Hall/Leota/Hall

I'm sure we'll have combinations with guys on the field at the same time.  He might be able to slide inside to DT to rush the passer?  Believe he has two years so if he turns out capable, he could be inline for more playing time in '23 with Wooden gone.

He only has one season to play. Maybe a rotation guy. Guess we will find out soon enough

On 5/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, e808 said:

He only has one season to play. Maybe a rotation guy. Guess we will find out soon enough

Says on the OP he has 2 more years. Can someone clear this up? Are you counting his Covid Season?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Says on the OP he has 2 more years. Can someone clear this up? Are you counting his Covid Season?

I could be wrong . He was at UTSA in 2017 before going to juco in 2018. If he has another year left thats a lot of time at the collegiate level.

I think we have several 6th year players on the fall roster and one 7th year OL. We're in a new era. Almost seems like they can play until they decide to move on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, e808 said:

I could be wrong . He was at UTSA in 2017 before going to juco in 2018. If he has another year left thats a lot of time at the collegiate level.

Yea....my education apparently failed me in the math department when it comes to Eligibility lol.

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea....my education apparently failed me in the math department when it comes to Eligibility lol.

I guess we will find out once someone in the know gives some clarification 

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What education?:poke:

• Haha 1

Pretty sure this will be his last season of eligibility. He's already played 4 seasons, so he'll be a super-senior for us this year.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

What education?:poke:

Hey now....I grad-ye-ated the 5th grade.....you better don't question my smarts...cuz...cu...cuz... eryone here knows I are smart.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Hey now....I grad-ye-ated the 5th grade.....you better don't question my smarts...cuz...cu...cuz... eryone here knows I are smart.

I can tell...............

• Haha 1

So. this is his 4th stop. UTSA, then Iowa Western CC, then Memphis, then committed to GT, then decommitted from GT and committed to Auburn the same day.

Does his year at CC count towards remaining eligibility?

UTSA - 1 year
CC -- 1 year
Memphis -- 3 years

That's 5 years of playing time.  ON3, 247Sports and other publications are saying he has only one year of eligibility remaining.