Meet the New Tigers: Powell Gordon

Zeek

59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The series keeps marching on! What do we think about Powell Gordon?

He's tiny.  I don't see him as an edge contributor until he gains 30+ pounds, which I'm not sure is possible.  Probably more of an LB after adding 15-20 during his Redshirt and RSFr season.  Needs to grow and hope to contribute down the road.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's tiny.  I don't see him as an edge contributor until he gains 30+ pounds, which I'm not sure is possible.  Probably more of an LB after adding 15-20 during his Redshirt and RSFr season.  Needs to grow and hope to contribute down the road.

Brian Burns was an edge type player at 6'5" 218 lbs. it's possible but rare.

Agreed though, a major point I made was that he had to pack on the pounds. He needs at least 20 before he can be consistently successful at any position other than maybe nickel which I don't think he has the coverage skills for. He is a project.

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Brian Burns was an edge type player at 6'5" 218 lbs. it's possible but rare.

6'5 and you can grow into that.  He's also a legt 6'5" verified at the combine.  I'd suspect Gordon isn't really 6'3".  They are always exaggerated. 

Look at the picture above, he looks like a big DB.  I think he can grow into LB size, but I'm not sure he can grow into an Edge rusher

The height and weight were HS on the Auburn football Roster they have him at 6'2" 228 pounds as he has been working out and adding mass as an early arriver.  I will have to watch him this year but I am not sure he will redshirt and that size and his quickness could be very useful on special teams. Hopefully we handle business against the weaker teams on our schedule so players like Powell, Sledge, Wooden, Haywood get some valuable experience and might be able to provide some depth as season progresses. This will be interesting to see if new DC is like Mason and believes in Iron Man football keeping best players out there all the time or tries to get some reps for young players to both develop them and to have fresh bodies in the 4th quarter.  I liked Mason but I think that was one of his few weaknesses.

• Like 2

His size, versatility, and style of play look like a hybrid of Rob Pate and Will Herring. I think he’s an early special team contributor and an excellent player for us in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

His size, versatility, and style of play look like a hybrid of Rob Pate and Will Herring. I think he’s an early special team contributor and an excellent player for us in a couple of years. 

Agreed! Nothing wrong with a player being a bit of a project. His ceiling is high. 

I thought he was really impressive on ADay. Know you can't take much from spring games, but he was reacting quickly. Two plays that stood out was one where he immediately identified a screen (I think) on Geriners drive and broke it up quickly. Then running stride for stride with Tank down the sideline and breaking up that long pass

• Like 1