Softball vs Clemson Regional

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Thanks TG. 

i want to know how u found out we had our first 4 pitch inning so fast. Lol. 

who did Smith replace that was hurt? 

Auburn broadcast team mentioned it during the next half inning.

And Blaine is still hurting so she replaced her in RF. I also think Schmidt is hurt since normally she would be the backup RF.

• Like 1

Nice to beat the former hometown team of mine, the Cajuns.  Nice to see Bri get her groove back. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow is gonna be incredibly difficult. Clemson pitched their #2 pitcher and she no-hit UNC Wilmington. They run-ruled them in 5 winning 9-0. They'll go with their ace tomorrow.

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Ellis pops up. We're getting under a lot of balls. All of our outs have been pop ups or strike outs.

3-2 Auburn T4th

That is what happens when you don't swing level through the zone. 

A very good win over a top-of-the-line 3 seed.  Ask Georgia and MSU about Liberty and South Florida.  Penta threw at least 10-12 strikes that were called balls, costing us at least one run.  Happily, Ellis got her HR eye back, which won the game for us.  Both teams had some hard-hit balls that were run down in the outfield.  Nice infield play, especially from Cox.  Bottom line, we broke our 5-game losing streak by coming from behind against a good team.  Hope we can force Clemson to play them next.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Tomorrow is gonna be incredibly difficult. Clemson pitched their #2 pitcher and she no-hit UNC Wilmington. They run-ruled them in 5 winning 9-0. They'll go with their ace tomorrow.

That was their 2?! Yeesh. 

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That was their 2?! Yeesh. 

It gets even crazier when you realize how many pitches she threw to get a no-hitter.

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

It gets even crazier when you realize how many pitches she threw to get a no-hitter.

I'd consider running her back and being the Ace in if needed.  I know the winner of this goes into Regional final needing to win 1 to advance. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

I'd consider running her back and being the Ace in if needed.  I know the winner of this goes into Regional final needing to win 1 to advance. 

With their pitching staff I don't think it matters. lol She's the #2 but has a better ERA. But not by a lot. Millie Thompson has pitched 108 innings and has a 1.62 ERA. The #1 has pitched 146 innings and has a 2.05 ERA. Their #3 has pitched 59 innings and has a 1.07 ERA. No matter who they throw, Auburn is gonna have to play an almost perfect game to get the W.

8 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

With their pitching staff I don't think it matters. lol She's the #2 but has a better ERA. But not by a lot. Millie Thompson has pitched 108 innings and has a 1.62 ERA. The #1 has pitched 146 innings and has a 2.05 ERA. Their #3 has pitched 59 innings and has a 1.07 ERA. No matter who they throw, Auburn is gonna have to play an almost perfect game to get the W.

Really makes you wish we had a healthy number 2 if we do win today.  They have the pitching to win 2 in a row Sunday.

Edited by AUBwins

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Really makes you wish we had a healthy number 2 if we do win today.  They have the pitching to win 2 in a row Sunday.

Been wishing for a healthy #2 all season. Maybe the final couple of weekends is when everything will click.

Dean was asked about starting Penta again today while Penta was with him and he said, "We'll let you know in the morning" while Penta was about to say something decided not to and took a drink from her water bottle.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see her today. IF we throw her in the noon game and lose, I have zero faith that we'll win again. If we can win without Penta then we can use her against the first game in the championship to try to close the weekend out.

Edited by tgrogan21

Glad to see Schmidt in at RF rather than Smith. But we better win this game with Penta in the circle or at least get a big enough of a lead to take her out early.

Edited by tgrogan21

Garcia runs the count full before a ground out to SS.

McCondichie misses the bunt and the count goes to 1-2 before striking out. She wasn't close on any of her swings.

Peralta grounds out to 3rd. At least we made her throw more than like 9 pitches unlike UNC did on average yesterday against Clemson. :P

0-0 B1st

Edited by tgrogan21

Penta with the strike out looking!

Schmidt and Packer with a minor collision in the outfield but Schmidt holds on to the ball for out 2. Gotta have better communication.

Cagle (Clemson's pitcher) bats 3rd and has 12 homers and bats just under .300. Amazing two-way player. Fouls off a few before striking out!

Way to go, Penta!

Ellis, Lisenby, Packer coming up for Auburn

0-0 T2nd

Penta looks like she is pitching better than she was yesterday. I found it interesting both her and Dean said they were not throwing Louisiana a riseball yesterday, but we’ve seen it a few times already in the first three batters for Clemson. 

Ellis gets ahead 3-1. Doing a good job making this pitcher work to get outs. Ellis with the check swing but she goes around for the strike out.

Lisenby gets ahead 2-0 before 3 strikes to get her looking. We're struggling to get the bat on the ball right now.

Packer with the SINGLE! Auburn won't get no-hit today!

Cox gets ahead 3-0! This pitcher is having control issues despite her ability to get us to swing and miss.

No idea what happened. Packer gets thrown out at 2nd, she didn't even try to slide. I wonder if it was supposed to be a hit and run and Cox just didn't swing.

0-0 B2nd

• Like 1

Packer got hosed! And the body language this inning of Penta... she looks like her back is bothering her again like in the fall... better score some runs quickly.... need momentum 

Pop up to Peralta. A tiny bit of worrying who was gonna take it before Peralta calls off Cox.

Penta falls behind 3-1 ... before a 5 pitch walk.

Nice job coming back and striking out the next batter!

GODWIN THROWS OUT THE RUNNER!

Cox, Godwin, Schmidt coming up.

0-0 T3rd

Edited by tgrogan21

1 pitch ground out from Cox.

Godwin falls behind 0-2 before taking 2 balls. One of them a questionable ball that probably should have been a K. Another ground out to SS.

Schmidt also falls behind 0-2 before a 3 pitch ground out to 2B. This is Cagle's M.O to get hitters to ground out. Gotta adjust.

0-0 B3rd

Denver Bryant with the flying pig puppet behind Dean during the TV interview. 🤣 Can't wait to see her back on the field next year!

Full count to the first batter of the inning. Nice at bat but it ends in a ground out to 1B! But an 8 pitch at bat.

Another full count ... not a good thing for someone who pitched a complete game the day before. Fly out to CF but it took another 8 pitch at bat.

Penta just missed hitting the batter and it hits the knob of the bat. And another strike out!

Edit: Garcia, McCondichie, and Peralta coming up

0-0 T4th

Edited by tgrogan21

Garcia with a 2 pitch ground out. 2B made a diving stop. :(

McCondichie falls behind 0-2 ... strikes out on 3 pitches. Not making this pitcher work anymore.

Peralta with a 2 pitch ground out to SS. Good grief a 7 pitch inning. Gotta adjust at the plate!

0-0 B4th

4 pitch ground out to SS. Great job by Peralta backing up Cox, who misses the ground out, and a great throw!

3 pitch pop up to SS! Peralta calls Cox off again.

No-hitter broken up as Cagle (the pitcher) gets a double at the wall. Crap!

Peralta miss plays a fly ball in shallow LF. Ball drops, run scores. :( Not an error but still a play that needs to be made. Runner goes to 2nd for a double.

1-0 Clemson

Penta gets ahead 1-2 before a full count. Not looking good for her to pitch a complete game. Need some offense to help her out.

Strike out looking!

Ellis, Lisenby, and Packer up for Auburn

1-0 Clemson T5th