Softball vs Clemson Regional

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

Dean clearly set a precedence with the extra year of eligibility by only allowing one group to have that opportunity at Auburn. This team was the first roster full of players who did not play for Myers, and I imagine it is why he finally feels rejuvenated from a coaching standpoint. There weren’t players questioning his every move, reverting to old behaviors, or still wondering if Myers should still be the coach. Side note: the way Clint’s contract was set up, I am pretty sure Cory would be the coach as of now anyway.

Many people have said it on this board, but our program was toxic after the scandal, not only from what happened but how Auburn handled it. Myers didn’t leave the cupboard bare, but he left it in a lot worse condition than he found it outside of the pitching circle. Many of the recruits, and even some players, saw the writing on the wall before Myers “retired” and found new homes. Dean maintained as many of the commitments he could, but he mainly focused on building back Auburn’s reputation with parents and travel ball coaches to build his future program. He was able to get a number of top players to commit before the rule changes, and we are only starting to see the effects of those efforts because recruiting in softball was done in 6th - 8th grade.

I saw definite growth at the plate this season vs. prior years. Yes, we relied on the long ball, but we scored a lot more runs and were able to be more competitive. We struggled in the field at times, but we improved down the stretch for the most part. I expected pitching to be our strength, but injuries to Lowe, Dismukes, and Yarbrough derailed those plans.

If Dean cannot make it to supers or the WCWS next year or the year after, I do think we should look for a new coach when his contract is up. However, I expect this team to make a jump next year. We only graduate Godwin and Yarbrough. I can see a few players who don’t play as much trying their luck in the portal, and on the flip side, I am interested to see if we bring in any other players. We already bring in a four person class, and I expect at least two of them to make immediate impact.

Similar to last year, a lot of the best teams will graduate a number of impact super seniors, especially in the SEC. I expect a top 6 finish with everyone we have returning. 

Here is how I see next year as of today:

Pitching: I expect to see continued improvement from Penta, but a healthy Lowe and Dismukes will be very beneficial. Lowe had a sub 1.50 ERA last season… this past season would look a lot different if she alone was healthy. Rolfe will have a few chances early in the season and mid-week games, but I expect her to learn from the veterans. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a transfer into the program with how teams are hitting right now.

Catching: Lisenby and Blaine will probably split time behind the plate with the other holding down the DP spot. Newcomer Elkins is a good defensive catcher, but I am not sure how she does in the box. Incoming freshman Roberts can also catch if needed.

1B: Ellis will start here. She’s going to be very good in her career at Auburn.

2B: Hopefully Bryant can return from her injury and slot right back in this spot. Our hitting wasn’t the same once she went down.

SS: I don’t see Peralta losing her starting role due to her hitting capabilities. I fully expect her to dedicate time to cleaning up her defense in the off-season.

3B: I see a little competition here. Cox was fine defensively, but she struggled with the bat down the stretch. Incoming freshman Millie Roberts plays a lot of 3B, and she is a very strong power hitter. She will be one to keep an eye on. With the late success from Schmidt, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Garcia move back to 3rd if Roberts isn’t able to adjust to the college game.

LF: I imagine McCondichie will slide back here when Bryant returns from injury.

CF: Packer will start and Smith will likely be her back up.

RF: I see Garcia or Schmidt in this role depending on the outcome of 3B. Schmidt made big strides toward the end of the season with her bat.

DP: As stated above, I think Blaine or Lisenby will be the primary DPs with the other handling catching duties. 

Thanks for the detailed post. I agree with almost everything you said. People seem to forget just how bad the scandal was and how much repair Dean had to do with the program. The fact that he's getting top 10 recruiting classes in back-to-back years after all of that is a huge accomplishment. I don't agree with all of his coaching decisions and I've said as much in the past. I think that he cost us several games because of some of his mistakes but that happens to everyone.

Imagine having to replace a full starting squad + 2 every season. That's what he's had to do because Auburn has averaged over 12 departures every season for the last 4 seasons. Hopefully he'll only lose Godwin/Yarbrough and maybe 1-2 transfers.

• Like 1

Disappointed to see the season come to a close, but this program is primed for a good run in the coming years.  Dean has done a great job rebuilding this program and there's another great class coming in.   I'm really glad Mickey Dean is leading our program.   We clearly had one of the best freshman classes in the country, as evidence by their production through out the season.  Can't wait to see how the next class fits in.  We are definitely on our way back after that scandal several years ago.  Most people forget or don't know how much damage was done in multiple ways to the program.  Dean had a lot of work to do.   He's done it and gotten us back.  Future is very bright.

• Like 6

First time poster maybe off topic but my cousin went to high school with Kenadie Cooper and I was excited when she signed being one of if not the top players in Georgia. Does anyone know why she did not get more playing time.? Thanks

32 minutes ago, Chrisporter4 said:

First time poster maybe off topic but my cousin went to high school with Kenadie Cooper and I was excited when she signed being one of if not the top players in Georgia. Does anyone know why she did not get more playing time.? Thanks

It’s hard to compete as a freshman in the SEC, which makes it even more impressive how well Ellis, Peralta, Blaine, and Lisenby did this season. Packer was an established starter in centerfield leaving only two spots open. McCondichie and Garcia moved to outfield to make room for freshman in the infield early in the season. I think McCondichie is probably more comfortable in the outfield than Garcia, but we needed their bats in the lineup. It seemed Blaine was used in RF to keep her bat in the lineup as well, but she was substituted for Schmidt, Geraghty, Smith, and at times, Cooper. 

Cooper will get more opportunities next year, but I doubt she cracks the lineup until McCondichie and Garcia leave. Schmidt made made a lot of progress this year, and I think she could jump Garcia at some point. Garcia could also move to third if Cox struggles at the plate, but I do see Millie Robert’s making an impact as a freshman. She plays 3rd regularly and has a lot of power at the plate. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Dean clearly set a precedence with the extra year of eligibility by only allowing one group to have that opportunity at Auburn.

I didn't realize that he did that until you pointed it out. Makes sense now. 

Also, I remember a player from UT transferred last fall and plans on joining the team next year. How wonder how she will factor into the rotation. 

TD1, who is the player from UT?  As I understand your comment, she transferred last year, but delayed the physical move for a year?  Assume that means she sat out this season.

Just noticed that Clemson run-ruled Louisiana 8-0 in the regional final.

8 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

TD1, who is the player from UT?  As I understand your comment, she transferred last year, but delayed the physical move for a year?  Assume that means she sat out this season.

Ok, she may not have transferred yet. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Board/104011/Contents/Auburn-Softball-Adds-Transfer-168596937/

Edited by TD1
  • Thanks 1

Some of you are using Clint Myers teams as the norm for AU softball. That's not accurate. Before Myers, you could go to the softball field, walk in free and choose your seat. I'd take a pack of granddaughters and their friends to a game, turn them loose without worries as long as they stayed inside the fence. I spent time talking to AU's best coach ever, swimming coach David Marsh, who was doing the same with his children. Al Borges of football fame was another guy to gossip with.

It was all very relaxed and if AU won, that was great! Great, but not at all expected.

Then Clint Myers came and brought a magical change that's never been done in AU sports before or since. That huge of a turnaround, in such a short time, can only be called a miracle. Then, in a flash Meyers was gone and the magic left with him.

It appears that Dean can be much more successful that what AU softball has traditionally been but thinking that he should be able to catch the magic that Clint Myers had is not reasonable.

• Like 3

off the original topic of the thread but note that uat lost again today to Stanford 6-0.  Stanford wins the regional in turdville and uat's season is OVER.   :lol:   I LOVE IT.    Uat did win the first game today to force a deciding game but then got shut out with only 4 hits (2 of those in the 7th). 

Mississippi State forced a deciding game  against Florida State today too.  Hopefully MSU can pull that one out.

Arkansas won their regional and Oklahoma DEMOLISHED Texas A&M today putting up 9 in the first inning and winning it 20-0. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Oklahoma DEMOLISHED Texas A&M today putting up 9 in the first inning and winning it 20-0. 

Just damn 

In response to a couple of the posts above:  it was so much fun to watch the last inning in Tuscaloosa.  I noticed on the ESPN scoreboard that Stanford was leading 2-0 in the 6th, so turned on the TV.  Stanford came up in top 7 and started bunting and playing small ball, making uat make plays.  Bama couldn't get an out. With runners on 2d and 3d and one out, they walked the next batter to set up the force at any base. Next batter gets a base hit up the middle and CF throws the ball into the stands; 3 score. At this point, they pull Fouts. They score one more on another base hit. First time bama has missed the supers since they started (2005). It's somewhat ironic that we wanted to avoid Tallahassee for regionals, and now one of the three teams I'm pretty sure we're better than has shut FSU out and forced an elimination game. I don't think that 2015-17 were typical of Auburn softball, but I want them to be. A lot of us only started following softball when Myers got here and started having success. We regard the first 18 years as straw men, not to be compared with. We should give Tina Deese some credit, though, as she recruited most of the team that Myers took to OKC.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

In response to a couple of the posts above:  it was so much fun to watch the last inning in Tuscaloosa.  I noticed on the ESPN scoreboard that Stanford was leading 2-0 in the 6th, so turned on the TV.  Stanford came up in top 7 and started bunting and playing small ball, making uat make plays.  Bama couldn't get an out. With runners on 2d and 3d and one out, they walked the next batter to set up the force at any base. Next batter gets a base hit up the middle and CF throws the ball into the stands; 3 score. At this point, they pull Fouts. They score one more on another base hit. First time bama has missed the supers since they started (2005). It's somewhat ironic that we wanted to avoid Tallahassee for regionals, and now one of the three teams I'm pretty sure we're better than has shut FSU out and forced an elimination game. I don't think that 2015-17 were typical of Auburn softball, but I want them to be. A lot of us only started following softball when Myers got here and started having success. We regard the first 18 years as straw men, not to be compared with. We should give Tina Deese some credit, though, as she recruited most of the team that Myers took to OKC.

Whiskey, you might enjoy this link:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2022/5/22/23136967/alabama-crimson-tide-softball-murphy-wanted-for-attempted-murder-montana-fouts

• Thanks 1

Oregon State beat Tennessee earlier 8-3 to force a deciding game.  They just beat Tennessee 3-1 to advance to supers.   Tennessee is DONE.

Mississippi State defeated FSU 5-0 earlier to force deciding game.  Mississippi State just defeated FSU AGAIN 4-3 to advance to the super regionals.  Florida State is DONE...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.   #hatefsu

• Like 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Mississippi State defeated FSU 5-0 earlier to force deciding game.  Mississippi State just defeated FSU AGAIN 4-3 to advance to the super regionals.  Florida State is DONE...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.   #hatefsu

This might be a tournament I'll still continue to watch lol

9 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

did I hear correctly that the Duke program has only been in existence for 6 years.  That is a tremendous job by the Head Coach.

Clemson's program has only been in existence for 3 years. Both have done a tremendous job.

'm curious to see where the supers will be played. Oregon St. is now to play Stanford in the super that should be in t-town. Miss St. will play Arizona in the super that was scheduled for Tallahassee.

45 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Clemson's program has only been in existence for 3 years. Both have done a tremendous job.

your totally right.  I obviously didn't know that either.   Both coaches could probably get their dream job were it to come open, although they are both probably very happy where they are.

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We should give Tina Deese some credit, though, as she recruited most of the team that Myers took to OKC.

Indeed! That makes what Myers accomplished even more amazing. He turned several that had been ordinary players into College World Series types.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

'm curious to see where the supers will be played. Oregon St. is now to play Stanford in the super that should be in t-town. Miss St. will play Arizona in the super that was scheduled for Tallahassee.

Not certain but I think if the regional host that was going to travel in the supers would then host the supers if the top seed didn't advance.  In other words it's probably the higher ranked team at tourney selection time would host now. 

Emily Carasone, on the Talking Tigers podcast, said that this year's team reminds her of her sophomore year team that went to the NCAA tournament for the 1st time in a while. The next 2 years, of course, her teams (our teams) went to the WCWS. I had the same thought during this season & was gratified to hear Emily confirm it. She also said this team has to learn to do all the little things that make the difference between winning & losing. That's the youth of this team. I was reminded of my freshman year playing tennis at Auburn and realizing that I really didn't know how to practice well. When I was a junior & senior, my coaches put the freshmen on court with me because they didn't know how to practice well. Since we only had 2 seniors on the team this year, I'm especially glad Emily is coaching. If our young (& talented) players listen & learn, we'll be better next year, maybe even making the same kind of jump that Emily's team did from her sophomore to junior seasons. 

• Like 3

In other news, Jo Evans is finally out at Texas A&M.  I think she has been there 23 years and has 1200 wins or maybe 1300.  With A&M's money, the coach search could be quite interesting.

A&M is a sleeping giant in softball. Their new stadium is probably the best in the country as of right now. I’m sure they will try to hire a big name.

In other news, two players from Bama entered the portal today. Robocoach says there will be a number of players from LSU and a few more from Bama entering the portal over the next few days.

We will not immune to the portal, but I hope we can keep the majority of our contributors. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1