Opening week of Auburn basketball’s 2022-23 schedule set

aubiefifty

Auburn Basketball

Opening week of Auburn basketball’s 2022-23 schedule set

Published: May. 20, 2022, 12:24 p.m.

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

The opening week of Auburn’s 2022-23 basketball schedule is set as the Tigers nonconference slate is starting to fill out.

Auburn will open its campaign at home against George Mason on Nov. 7 -- a game that was announced earlier this month -- and will then host USF on Nov. 11 at Neville Arena, the program announced Friday. The game against USF will mark the return trip for the Bulls in their home-and-home series with the Tigers after Bruce Pearl’s team traveled to Tampa, Fla., last season.

Auburn won that meeting, 58-52, and leads the all-time series with USF, 6-1. The season opener against George Mason will mark just the second all-time meeting between the two programs; Auburn won the only prior matchup, 79-63, during the 2017-18 season.

The games against George Mason and USF are the only two officially announced on Auburn’s nonconference schedule so far, but there have been reports of other matchups already scheduled for this season. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein reported last month that Auburn will complete its home-and-home series with Washington with a meeting in Seattle this season; the Tigers previously hosted the Huskies during the 2018-19 campaign and were set to play the return game in Washington during the 2020-21 season before COVID-19 caused programs to reconfigure their schedules. According to Rothstein, Auburn is also slated to travel to Los Angeles this season -- assuredly during the same West Coast trip -- for the first game in a home-and-home series with USC.

Along with those games, Auburn will also participate in this year’s Cancun Challenge in November. The Tigers will host Winthrop on Nov. 15 -- in what will certainly be Auburn’s third game of the season -- before the event shifts to Cancun and the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya the following week. Once there, Auburn will square off against Bradley on Nov. 22 at 5 p.m. CT. If Auburn wins that game, the following day it will face the winner of the Liberty-Northwestern game at 7:30 p.m. CT. If the Tigers lose to Bradley, they will face the loser of Liberty-Northwestern at 5 p.m. CT on Nov. 23.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

Anyone have any insight who our Big 12 opponent in the challenge might be, and where? I am still holding out hope they will match up the two regular season champs (Kansas) and have them play at Lawerence so I can go. I'm selfish, I know...

23 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Anyone have any insight who our Big 12 opponent in the challenge might be, and where? I am still holding out hope they will match up the two regular season champs (Kansas) and have them play at Lawerence so I can go. I'm selfish, I know...

For your sake, I hope that's what happens. Living within shouting distance of Auburn makes things easy for me on that front. 

Of course, Allen Fieldhouse has a bit more room for crowds than Neville Arena does, so that should make things a bit easier on you if they do make that matchup. But didn't they host Kentucky last year? Don't know that they'd give Kansas back-to-back home games in the SEC-Big 12 Showdown.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

For your sake, I hope that's what happens. Living within shouting distance of Auburn makes things easy for me on that front. 

Of course, Allen Fieldhouse has a bit more room for crowds than Neville Arena does, so that should make things a bit easier on you if they do make that matchup. But didn't they host Kentucky last year? Don't know that they'd give Kansas back-to-back home games in the SEC-Big 12 Showdown.

You're probably right, but does that mean KU and Auburn can never meet in the challenge since they are on the same home vs away schedule? 

50 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

You're probably right, but does that mean KU and Auburn can never meet in the challenge since they are on the same home vs away schedule? 

I don't know how long they plan to keep doing it, frankly.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, KansasTiger said:

@KansasTigerLikely WVU and on the road. There are other more attractive match ups but they like to keep the alternating home and away teams the same. AU was at home last season as was Kansas Texas, Texas Tech so we likely won't play any of them as all 4 of us are expected to be on the road. Baylor could be an option but we played them a couple years ago so I doubt we get them again.

22 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Don't know that they'd give Kansas back-to-back home games in the SEC-Big 12 Showdown.

Nor AU.

14 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Maybe not til the conferences reallign.

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know how long they plan to keep doing it, frankly.

I imagine they will keep it going. Big 12 will still be a highly competitive & regarded basketball conference.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@KansasTigerLikely WVU and on the road. There are other more attractive match ups but they like to keep the alternating home and away teams the same. AU was at home last season as was Kansas Texas, Texas Tech so we likely won't play any of them as all 4 of us are expected to be on the road. Baylor could be an option but we played them a couple years ago so I doubt we get them again.

Well, then maybe I'll hold out hope for Kansas State! I'm half kidding, since they were bottom of the Big 12, but I'd secretly love it.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nor AU.

Yeah, but if Auburn played at Kansas, then they wouldn't be giving AU back to back home dates...

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I imagine they will keep it going. Big 12 will still be a highly competitive & regarded basketball conference.

I didn't mean because of the conference realignment, I just meant that I genuinely have no clue how long the conference PTB will want to keep it going. Maybe they see no end in sight, or maybe this coming season will be the last. Either would be plenty plausible as far as I know.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, but if Auburn played at Kansas, then they wouldn't be giving AU back to back home dates...

@RednillaY'all covered that already. I was just addressing the other side in case anyone was hoping Kansas would come to AU. Both AU & Kansas are expected to be on the road for the challenge.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't mean because of the conference realignment, I just meant that I genuinely have no clue how long the conference PTB will want to keep it going. Maybe they see no end in sight, or maybe this coming season will be the last. Either would be plenty plausible as far as I know.

@RednillaWhat's a plausible reason for the PTB to want to end the arrangement with a highly valued & respected basketball conference?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@RednillaWhat's a plausible reason for the PTB to want to end the arrangement with a highly valued & respected basketball conference?

Maybe that it will be awkward for Texas and Oklahoma to swap sides in the matchup? Maybe it becomes less than profitable and they decide to scrap it for economic reasons. I don't really have any clue, which is why the whole spectrum is plausible for me.