2022 Coaching Changes and Transfer Portal

This likely deserves its own topic.  A bit is currently being reported in the Softball Clemson Regional topic.  

Saw reported that Sarah Willis entered portal to depart Washington Huskies.  She is from California.  I mention because she initially committed to AU as 8th grader in 2016 but later changed to Wahington for 2020 class.  She pitched 32 innings in 2021 with ERA 3.94, but this year only pitched 16 innings gave up 22 hits with ERA 4.81.  I read she is a good outfielder and fair hitter (.241 with 58 AB this year).  She will probably find a home on the west coast.

Thanks for opening the topic.  To collect the bits from the other thread:  Jo Evans has been dismissed as HC at aTm.  This is a very attractive job.  The have the recently built Davis Diamond facility, along with lots of deep-pockets alumni.  Further, they probably have more softball tradition than any SEC school, with a program going back to the 80s at least. Filling this slot will undoubtedly start the dominoes falling. At Alabama, Abby Doerr and Jenna Lord have entered the portal. Doerr is from Oregon and may be looking for a PAC-12 school, but Lord, a freshman, is from Trussville. I read that she was one of their better clutch hitters this year, and there is a general shock reaction at news of her transfer.

• Like 1

Looks like a mass exodus from Alabama at the moment. Abby Doerr (Oregon) and Jenna Lord (Alabama) entered last night. Both started multiple times throughout the year with varying levels of success. Lexi Kilfoyl (Florida) and Dallis Goodnight (Georgia) entered the portal today. Dallis was an everyday starter in CF. Lexi is an elite dropball pitcher when she is healthy. I imagine all four will get serious interest.

Rumors of two more players from Bama’s roster entering the portal. It appears there is a lot of unhappiness over there at the moment.

Savana Sikes from UGA also entered the portal today as a graduate transfer. She was previously committed to Auburn during the Myers tenure. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fingers crossed that AU can hang on to the players we need to keep. We've lost some good ones in the past and I think, on balance, we're in negative territory with regard to the portal.

• Like 1

IDK, Mikey, recalling that Kaylee Carlson was a transfer, that's a lot of weight on that side of the scale.  Two that transferred out that hurt were Carlee Wallace and Jenna Olszewski.  Haley Fagan, Lexi Handley, and Kaylee Horton were all incoming transfers.  Carmyn Greenwood and Chardonnay Harris both went to Louisville; both could have been quite useful in Auburn.  I don't have the whole list in my head, but Carlson and Fagan tilt the scales heavily in the plus direction.

Edited by OlderWhiskey

6th Bama player to enter the portal is Megan Bloodworth. I doubt we get any of the six, but if we were able to pick one up, I’d want it to be her or Lexi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

IDK, Mikey, recalling that Kaylee Carlson was a transfer, that's a lot of weight on that side of the scale.  Two that transferred out that hurt were Carlee Wallace and Jenna Olszewski.  Haley Fagan, Lexi Handley, and Kaylee Horton were all incoming transfers.  Carmyn Goodwin and Chardonnay Harris both went to Louisville; both could have been quite useful in Auburn.  I don't have the whole list in my head, but Carlson and Fagan tilt the scales heavily in the plus direction.

Name is escaping me now, but didn't we lose a good pitcher to some big 10 school last off-season? Then there's Snow going to Oklahoma.

I wasn't thinking back before the portal but since softball players didn't have to sit a year anyway maybe that doesn't matter.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Name is escaping me now, but didn't we lose a good pitcher to some big 10 school last off-season? Then there's Snow going to Oklahoma.

I wasn't thinking back before the portal but since softball players didn't have to sit a year anyway maybe that doesn't matter.

We had several seniors take their super senior seasons else where. I do believe this had more to do with Mickey not having room for them to come back.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how hard Auburn should hit the portal. The team is young but talented. We improved so much from last season I can only assume the same thing is gonna happen again after all of talented freshmen get another year of experience in the offseason training. I think we should go after a pitcher just in case of injuries but I don't think we need anyone else. Our entire starting line-up (minus Godwin) plus every reserve player that had important minutes are coming back barring any unexpected transfers.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 2

Here is the Bama list from AL.com

Alabama players in transfer portal

• Fr. Megan Bloodworth, 43 starts in 2022
  • Jr. Savannah Woodard, 23 starts
  • Jr. Lexi Kilfoyl, 6 starts
  • Fr. Megan Goodnight, 47 starts
  • Jr. Abby Doerr, 35 starts
  • Fr. Jenna Lord, 28 starts

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm not sure how hard Auburn should hit the portal. The team is young but talented. We improved so much from last season I can only assume the same thing is gonna happen again after all of talented freshmen get another year of experience in the offseason training. I think we should go after a pitcher just in case of injuries but I don't think we need anyone else. Our entire starting line-up (minus Godwin) plus every reserve player that had important minutes are coming back barring any unexpected transfers.

I expect Blaine will likely takeover Godwin’s innings behind the plate next year, and I expect Rolfe to get some opportunities against lesser teams in the circle.

I don’t see us taking a position player in the portal either. I expect our lineup to be similar to what it was early in the year, assuming Bryant is able to return from injury.  As mentioned previously, I do expect Roberts and Schmidt to push for playing time at 3B and RF.

I can see us adding a pitcher from the portal. However, I don’t think it makes sense to add an upcoming junior or senior pitcher since our primary pitchers are in these classes. I’d try to find the best upcoming sophomore out of the portal since we do not have a pitcher in this class. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Have to agree that the balance shifts to outgoing, if we look at the portal only since the 1-yr wait was abolished.  Snow, Wallace, and Dowell probably the highest profiles.  I think Handley transferred to Ohio State last year.  Dowell started all 54 games at Minnesota, hit .265.  I thought Justus Perry transferred there also, but her name is not on the roster.  Actually, Wallace left before the new portal rule came into effect, I think; Myers gave her her release.

20 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Have to agree that the balance shifts to outgoing, if we look at the portal only since the 1-yr wait was abolished.  Snow, Wallace, and Dowell probably the highest profiles.  I think Handley transferred to Ohio State last year.  Dowell started all 54 games at Minnesota, hit .265.  I thought Justus Perry transferred there also, but her name is not on the roster.  Actually, Wallace left before the new portal rule came into effect, I think; Myers gave her her release.

Perry didn’t have any eligibility left after being done at Auburn. She did get a coaching job at small college in Minnesota 

• Thanks 2

Mentioned on AU247 that Paige Geraghty has entered the transfer portal. She was used primarily as a pinch runner, but she was a substituted in RF after Bryant went down and got a ABs this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I took a look at Carmyn Greenwood's stats at Louisville this year, and almost wish I hadn't.  I hope they had a couple of acolytes tending her in the clubhouse.  She hit .400 with 14 homers and 52 RBIs.  OPS 1.279.  The next best average was at .309.  

• Like 3

On 5/25/2022 at 12:59 PM, Jad0003 said:

Mentioned on AU247 that Paige Geraghty has entered the transfer portal. She was used primarily as a pinch runner, but she was a substituted in RF after Bryant went down and got a ABs this year. 

I was starting to like what I saw from her late in the year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maddie Majors is as well. That's not surprising considering she's about to be a senior and has rarely contributed, even though I think Dean should have given her more opportunities at first last year with Justus Perry struggling for almost the whole season. Nevertheless, Bri Ellis has 1st locked up for the next 3 seasons so I see her reasoning for leaving. I think Schmidt could have contributed the most of the 3 in the portal next year, but with the 4 or 5 freshman coming in her playing time was probably going to drop. Overall, if those are the only 3 we lose to the portal, I'll be happy. Especially considering when you look at the 6 transfers at Bama and that whole situation, they have 3 freshman in the portal that would have been starters next season for sure. 

I really enjoyed watching Kelsey.  Hate it she is leaving.  The newcomers could be a reason I suppose.  She at least got some good film at the end of year to showcase. 

9 hours ago, warladytigers said:

That's a shame but don't blame her - she'll be a started somewhere. 

So w the transfers how does our starters look to be and backups/could be starters look like including the freshmen class?

I was told there were 2 others in the OF, and possibly 2 on the IF...  but cannot confirm yet nor have I seen them posted anywhere...

I hate to lose Schmidt she is a good player.  Majors was never going to play.  Geraghty although a pretty good fielder never showed anything at the plate especially in conference play so no lose there.