2022 Coaching Changes and Transfer Portal

Haven't seen it mentioned here - aTm has hired Trisha Ford from Arizona State.  The Sun Devils went 43-11 and won the PAC-12, I believe.  They won their series with UCLA in Tempe, hosted and won their regional, but lost to Northwestern in the SR.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Haven't seen it mentioned here - aTm has hired Trisha Ford from Arizona State.  The Sun Devils went 43-11 and won the PAC-12, I believe.  They won their series with UCLA in Tempe, hosted and won their regional, but lost to Northwestern in the SR.

Seems like a lateral move or even a step back, no? She had a winning team already ...

16 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Seems like a lateral move or even a step back, no? She had a winning team already ...

I think A&M came up with some big $$$$$. Otherwise the move makes zero sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think A&M came up with some big $$$$$. Otherwise the move makes zero sense.

Has to be the reason. Nothing else would make sense unless she just wanted to coach in the SEC. 

AB Widra of Michigan has committed to Auburn. She’s a inf/p and should have 3 years of eligibility left. She’s originally from Hoover 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Glad to see us pick up another pitcher.  She has some pretty good numbers.  In the right class, too.

So was she highly recruited by Dean to begin with? I don't remember..since she ended up at Mich...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

So was she highly recruited by Dean to begin with? I don't remember..since she ended up at Mich...

Yes, however, she committed to Michigan and I think the other finalist at that time was UCLA & uat.

In the photo with the article, you can tell she's been spending time in the gym.  Coming from a quality program like Michigan is big plus.  If Shelby can heal up and come back strong, we will be loaded at pitcher.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, saminbama said:

In the photo with the article, you can tell she's been spending time in the gym.  Coming from a quality program like Michigan is big plus.  If Shelby can heal up and come back strong, we will be loaded at pitcher.

That's what I was thinking and hoping.  At this point the staff would be composed of 1 Freshman, 1 Sophomore, 2 Juniors and 1 Senior.  Also, like others, sorry to see Schmidt in the portal.  Felt she was developing into a good player. Forgot she is from Ohio which could also enter into her decision. Expect to hear good things about her in the future. 

5 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Also, like others, sorry to see Schmidt in the portal. 

Same here.  She has such a strong arm and I was hoping she could settle in as our RF.  Also saw where the 2021 Big 10 Pitcher of the Year (Alex Storako) is transferring from Michigan to OU.  The rich get richer.

Edited by saminbama

Reena Fallisi, Kelsey Schmidt, Maddie Majors, and Paige Geraghty are listed in portal. 

I think if we can get one or two hitters/fielders in the portal it will be a strong start to 2023  

Here are some of the names in the portal we hopefully could land:

- Rachel Becker, INF, Purdue

- Kristina Foreman, INF, Duke

- Caroline Jacobsen, OF, Duke

- Jenna Lord, INF, Alabama 

- Mya Stevenson, UTL, Marshall 

- Karli Petty, INF, Oklahoma State

-  Guilia Koutsoyanopulos, UTL, Arizona

- Jazmine Williams, INF, Oregon

- Shaylon Govan, UTL, Stephen F. Austin

i think those might be our best options moving forward. Let me know what y’all think. 

Interesting portal news is that Haley Pittman, a one time AU commit is now leaving Florida. I personally, would like to see her return to AU.

Edited by wmsau

A lot of very good players in the portal right now. The main question is: Do we have any money left to spend to bring in new players?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LetsGo said:

A lot of very good players in the portal right now. The main question is: Do we have any money left to spend to bring in new players?

I don't think that's knowable. Who is holding the NIL money anyway? How much is available? Baseball and softball players need the NIL more than football and basketball players, who get full scholarships. Is this even being considered by anyone? How do the people holding the NIL money know which players the coaches want to pay? When there is uncertainty and mystery, there is opportunity for mischief. I don't mind the athletes getting some extra money but I do not like this current NIL setup.

If I had a $ million to donate to an NIL fund, it would all go to the AU athletes who don't get full scholarship rides.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think that's knowable. Who is holding the NIL money anyway? How much is available? Baseball and softball players need the NIL more than football and basketball players, who get full scholarships. Is this even being considered by anyone? How do the people holding the NIL money know which players the coaches want to pay? When there is uncertainty and mystery, there is opportunity for mischief. I don't mind the athletes getting some extra money but I do not like this current NIL setup.

If I had a $ million to donate to an NIL fund, it would all go to the AU athletes who don't get full scholarship rides.

We live in SEC country. Football is king and makes a lot of the revenue needed for other sports. I agree, the kids not getting full rides need the money "more", that just isn't going to happen. Also, the AD job isn't on the line if baseball or softball don't make it to the WS, but if football isn't very respectable then the AD is gone most of the time in the SEC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

What's the best source for the Portal updates? I use D1softball.com, but it seems to lag, making me question the accuracy.

Much of what I see is on Robocoach

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cooper Taylor said:

Reena Fallisi, Kelsey Schmidt, Maddie Majors, and Paige Geraghty are listed in portal. 

I think if we can get one or two hitters/fielders in the portal it will be a strong start to 2023  

i think those might be our best options moving forward. Let me know what y’all think. 

The two Duke players and Becker (Purdue) seem to be the only ones who would be an upgrade versus what we currently have on the roster. However, they all will be 5th year seniors next year. Dean will have to make the decision to displace a current starter for a one year player.

Widra is a good pick-up, and I imagine we will see a lot of improvement in the circle if Dean wants her to focus solely on pitching. However, I think next year will ultimately come down to how Lowe and Bryant return from injury.

10 hours ago, wmsau said:

Interesting portal news is that Haley Pittman, a one time AU commit is now leaving Florida. I personally, would like to see her return to AU.

I think our pitching staff is too loaded and she just wasn’t very impressive at UF.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:18 PM, Cooper Taylor said:

Several of these would be huge additions but they all come at a cost. I feel as though the transfer portal is good for a short thrill but it’s hard to sustain success through the portal. Word gets around when you cast high school kids to the curb and many teams pay for it dearly.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, steeleagle said:

I believe she actually was committed to Oklahoma State originally..

• Like 1

I know this is old but..... I thought I remembered the Oklahoma State commit that played for the local team here. After looking at her freshman stats she has wins against Kent State and Northwestern and season high was 3 innings with 5 K's out of 32 innings.. And the other teams she didn’t fair well against were Kentucky, Maryland, Wisconsin, and UCF. Let's see how she does playing a FULL SEC schedule...

https://extrainningsoftball.com/extra-star-power-meet-annabelle-widra-pitcher-infielder-hitter-what-cant-she-do/

Edited by AU1947
  • Thanks 1