19 Children and 2 Adults Killed In Texas Elementary School Mass Shooting.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

So, you think RPGs and grenades are OK. 

Where is your limit?

Where are your reading comprehension levels?   I said it before and will say it again - the current level of restrictions on firearms are adequate.  

3 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Where are your reading comprehension levels?   I said it before and will say it again - the current level of restrictions on firearms are adequate.  

Yes, if you do not mind children dying at school, have zero sense of humanity.

• Dislike 1

No, I have no tolerance for that.  Just prefer an actual solution. 

19 hours ago, GoAU said:

Sure, but you know that there is no single, simple solution.  You know that taking AR-15s from inexperienced killers makes them far less efficient.  So,,, disingenuous.

19 hours ago, GoAU said:

I guess I must have misunderstood your response.  It seemed to me you thought RPGs and grenades should be legal under the 2nd.

Maybe there's more of a problem with your writing than my reading comprehension.

Edited by homersapien

19 hours ago, GoAU said:

Well, in this case prohibiting sales of assault rifles to anyone less than 21 may have worked.

So, how about raising the legal age to 21?

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, in this case prohibiting sales of assault rifles to anyone less than 21 may have worked.

I want to see the law that defines an assault rifle first. We currently have a law that doesn't allow the purchase of a handgun to anyone under the age of 21 and yet they can still get them from the street/independent sales. If you do purchase one from a retailer you have to submit to a background check (which often times doesn't stop those who shouldn't be allowed to purchase). Will the law be enforced to the fullest extent? It won't work if it isn't.

If it states "semi-automatic long gun/rifle" I can't agree with such an open ended term. 

Edited by autigeremt

36 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

By definition an AR-15 isn’t an assault rifle anyways. 

What distinguishing characteristics prevents it from being one?

32 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What distinguishing characteristics prevents it from being one?

It does not have selective fire capability. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Interesting stat that I pulled from Statista. 

• Guns used in mass shootings U.S. 2021 | Statista 

Since 1982 there have been 166 mass shootings.

Types of weapons used:

146 Handguns

60 Rifles 

30 Shotguns 

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

I’ve actually agreed to that in principle a couple of times in this thread, with a couple of stipulations / clarifications.   If we are going to say that an 18 year old is not capable of being treated as an adult, it needs to apply across the board - voting, tobacco, etc.   I also advocated for waiving the requirement for those serving in the military to be treated as an adult (firearms, tobacco, alcohol, voting, etc) to age 18 - as members of the military to a very large degree grow up a lot faster than others of the same age.  

thoughts?

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Interesting stat that I pulled from Statista. 

• Guns used in mass shootings U.S. 2021 | Statista 

Since 1982 there have been 166 mass shootings.

Types of weapons used:

146 Handguns

60 Rifles 

30 Shotguns 

And remember that the definitions for mass shootings have been far from consistent as well.  

I would just have to say, if I had the opportunity to talk to the people I'd have to say, look, there's always a plan. I believe God always has a plan. Life is short no matter what it is. And certainly, we're not going to make sense of, you know, a young child being shot and killed way before their life expectancy."

- Ken Paxton, Texas Attorney General on what he'd say to the families of the Uvalde victims. 

This dude is an idiot. 

Yeah, sorry your kid's dead, but just remember this is all God's plan, ok? We'll all die eventually. Yeah, I may be the top law enforcement agent in the State of Texas, but nothing I can really do...God's in control after all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact. Japan hasn't has a school massacre since 2001, and Japan's population is 1% Christian and 62% unreligious. 

God may not like it that so many American Christians blame "his plan" and or the absence of Christianity in our schools or families as reasons for these shootings.  

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I would just have to say, if I had the opportunity to talk to the people I'd have to say, look, there's always a plan. I believe God always has a plan. Life is short no matter what it is. And certainly, we're not going to make sense of, you know, a young child being shot and killed way before their life expectancy."

- Ken Paxton, Texas Attorney General on what he'd say to the families of the Uvalde victims. 

This dude is an idiot. 

Yeah, sorry your kid's dead, but just remember this is all God's plan, ok? We'll all die eventually. Yeah, I may be the top law enforcement agent in the State of Texas, but nothing I can really do...God's in control after all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact. Japan hasn't has a school massacre since 2001, and Japan's population is 1% Christian and 62% unreligious. 

God may not like it that so many American Christians blame "his plan" and or the absence of Christianity in our schools or families as reasons for these shootings.  

Maybe it's the lack of diversity in Japan or....a disciplined culture and mindset? I mean...it makes about as much sense............

21 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

It does not have selective fire capability. 

Totally moot point. Red herring. No practical significance.

Edited by homersapien
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Maybe it's the lack of diversity in Japan or....a disciplined culture and mindset? I mean...it makes about as much sense............

As much sense than what? 

I'm saying God and Christian principals obviously have no correlation to the amount and severity of school shootings and massacre's. Anyone who says stuff like " this is from taking God out of schools" or "this is Gods plan", is just deflecting responsibility and blame onto God and atheist for their own lack of action on Gun regulation. 

School shootings are normally done by white men so i don't know what "diversity" would have to do with it. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

As much sense than what? 

I'm saying God and Christian principals obviously have no correlation to the amount and severity of school shootings and massacre's. Anyone who says stuff like "taking God out of schools" or "this is Gods plan", is just deflecting responsibility and blame onto God and atheist for their own lack of action on Gun regulation. 

I was referring more to the Japan comment. God will have his say one day.....and a lot of the people will regret using God to advance an agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I was referring more to the Japan comment. God will have his say one day.....and a lot of the people will regret using God to advance an agenda. 

He who lives by the sword will die by the assault rifle.  How true.  holy irony.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Totally moot point. Red herring. No practical significance.

Wrong again, it’s what the United States law and also the Army use as a legal definition of what all qualifies it as an assault rifle. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Wrong again, it’s what the United States law and also the Army use as a legal definition of what all qualifies it as an assault rifle. 

But the issue in this debate is not words or definitions.  The issue is the functional reality.

Semantics - legal or not - have no impact on physical realities.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But the issue in this debate is not words or definitions.  The issue is the functional reality.

I believe it is functional reality in this case. It's a big part of the defining of an assault weapon. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

He who lives by the sword will die by the assault rifle.  How true.  holy irony.

More likely a handgun....

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Select fire is a function the AR-15 lacks….do some research. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I believe it is functional reality in this case. It's a big part of the defining of an assault weapon. 

He’s just trying to redefine what he wants an assault rifle to be. 

• Dislike 1