19 Children and 2 Adults Killed In Texas Elementary School Mass Shooting.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:42 PM, GoAU said:

I’ve actually agreed to that in principle a couple of times in this thread, with a couple of stipulations / clarifications.   If we are going to say that an 18 year old is not capable of being treated as an adult, it needs to apply across the board - voting, tobacco, etc.   I also advocated for waiving the requirement for those serving in the military to be treated as an adult (firearms, tobacco, alcohol, voting, etc) to age 18 - as members of the military to a very large degree grow up a lot faster than others of the same age.  

thoughts?

i have a question for you. if i have already asked which i did a few years back but here it is............i think all kids at 17 or 18 should and in school or not should have to serve in the military for a minimum of one year. the israeli's started doing this and it is my understanding they have less crime or kids and young adults getting in trouble. a lot of people would disagree but i think it would change lives for the better for all concerned. what say yee?

s

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have a question for you. if i have already asked which i did a few years back but here it is............i think all kids at 17 or 18 should and in school or not should have to serve in the military for a minimum of one year. the israeli's started doing this and it is my understanding they have less crime or kids and young adults getting in trouble. a lot of people would disagree but i think it would change lives for the better for all concerned. what say yee?

s

It’s a very interesting question.  

The positives would be in teaching respect, discipline and helping everyone understand the concept of putting something before yourself.  

The biggest drawback, IMO, is having people there that don’t want to be there.  Having worked with several other militaries, the all volunteer militaries having a higher sense of morale and performance.  Of course I would love that everyone would receive good training with regards to firearm safety, I do think there could be a lot of downside to this as well   I shudder to think what street gangs could be capable of with better training (I am not naive enough to think some ex military types are in gangs, but not 100%).   

I would say that a civilian service corps could also be a neat concept in teaching discipline for those not inclined to serve in the military, but I see the biggest downside of this would line up with my greatest concern of forced service (excluding a draft situation) is the general constitutionality of forced service   

In a nutshell, neat idea with some definite merit, but barring a draft I would not support it   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

s

Agree spot on fiddy.  I think it is a great idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoAU said:

It’s a very interesting question.  

The positives would be in teaching respect, discipline and helping everyone understand the concept of putting something before yourself.  

The biggest drawback, IMO, is having people there that don’t want to be there.  Having worked with several other militaries, the all volunteer militaries having a higher sense of morale and performance.  Of course I would love that everyone would receive good training with regards to firearm safety, I do think there could be a lot of downside to this as well   I shudder to think what street gangs could be capable of with better training (I am not naive enough to think some ex military types are in gangs, but not 100%).   

I would say that a civilian service corps could also be a neat concept in teaching discipline for those not inclined to serve in the military, but I see the biggest downside of this would line up with my greatest concern of forced service (excluding a draft situation) is the general constitutionality of forced service   

In a nutshell, neat idea with some definite merit, but barring a draft I would not support it   

i would. single parent homes. gangs. anger. i am not suggesting they fight but i think it would be a blessing and keep a lot of youth out of prison.

20 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I believe it is functional reality in this case. It's a big part of the defining of an assault weapon. 

It's moot. 

As I explained earlier when discussing automatic capability, it is less effective in killing a crowd of children than semi-auto, especially given plenty of time.  Any experienced shooter knows this.  (In my case, it was shooting rats in a dump with a semi - and full auto - .22)

Semi-auto with large capacity quick detachable magazines is all that is needed.  Full auto would be less efficient and simply waste ammunition.

Edited by homersapien