Expectations For Harsin

Rednilla

Expectations  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn?

• 6 wins or less (i.e. he should get a third year regardless of what happens on the field)
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 10 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally

What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn? Thoughts?

Some where between 5-7 and 8-4

Recruiting will be about where it has been. Don't like how we're getting everyone's first OV.  Really should be closer to 10th or better considering how loaded the state is

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Some where between 5-7 and 8-4

Recruiting will be about where it has been. Don't like how we're getting everyone's first OV.  Really should be closer to 10th or better considering how loaded the state is

I mean expectations on Harsin, not what you think is going to happen.

• Haha 1

• Rednilla changed the title to Expectations For Harsin
1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

I mean expectations on Harsin, not what you think is going to happen.

Yeah I didn't read the question. 

Bare minimum is probably the first answer. He keeps his job with a 500 season even if recruiting is below average like last year

He's fired if we're below 500 and we don't have a top 10 class the Sunday after the IB

I don't think any of the options really reflect what he needs to do. It doesn't matter if he recruits in the top ten nationally if he pulls in another Abysmal Offensive Line class. Honestly that's what determines whether he should get another year (How he does recruiting our most pressing needs)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I chose 7 wins and a top 10 recruiting class but I would have also chosen 6 wins and a top 10 recruiting class.  All that matters is recruiting right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I chose 7 wins and a top 10 recruiting class but I would have also chosen 6 wins and a top 10 recruiting class.  All that matters is recruiting right now.

You thinks he's fired I'd we go 7-5 and recruit about the same as last year ??

This is a tough call.  Unfortunately, we put ourselves in this position. 

My opinion:

I was extremely concerned when we fired Malzahn while owing him $21 million.  Understand from where I am coming from.  Had we not re-negotiated the contract after 2017 and wished Gus the best at Arkansas, I would have been great with that.  Had he remained at Auburn under the same contract and we simply not extended at all, I would have been good with that as well.  What we did do was not smart, but we did it.  Nobody can honestly argue that the program was in worse shape at the end of the 2017 season than where we are today.  It is a tough sell to argue that the program was in worse shape the day Gus was fired than where we are today. 

I have seen the same type thing happen over and over in sports and in business. A decision is made to spend an obscene amount of money to change leadership, yet no solid plan is in place for the replacement of that leadership. What the result looks and feels like is Karma to most.  There is usually no reward for the wasting of that large sum of money. What Auburn has after spending that obscene amount of money looks like another set of contracts that many will demand be bought out and the cycle is starting over again.  There is no getting around the fact that poor leadership is at the core of the problem. Strong leadership tells people what needs to be done and shows them why.  Most importantly, strong leadership has a plan when a decision of that magnitude is made.  If that plan was Kevin Steele, then stick to it and rip the band-aid off.  If you are right, you will be praised for your decision.  What we did was the equivalent of a ship at sea changing course abruptly and putting a captain at the wheel with no experience.  Allen Greene had never made a major college hire.  He had only been an AD for approx 3 years at the time and only one of those was at a power 5 program.

We now have a head coach that is trying to show that he can be a better person, an AD that doesn't know if he has the job or not and boosters that understandably aren't rushing to open the pockets to buy players in the new world of NIL that our competitors are thriving in.  None of us are happy about it, but I can't help to feel that we are likely going to be even less happy about it by October.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

6 or 7 wins with solid recruiting in 2022. 9 wins in 2023 with a win over Bama or UGA or he's out. 

If he wins 9 games in 2023, he ain’t going anywhere IMO.

• Like 3

Top 10 recruiting class this year and 6 wins will do the trick (I highly doubt these two are compatible but hey I figured I'd set goals).

• Like 2

What will WARRANT keeping Harsin? I don't know. However, six wins and a top 20 recruiting class will give him a third year, whether we like it or not.

4-8 or 5-7 and another 9th place in SEC recruiting should show him the door. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

• Like 3

6 to 7 and top 15 (ideally 10) class will keep him. The class better have at least 5 OL though. '23 will be the true judgement year because they can finish flipping the roster by January. It's already been re-balanced numbers wise quite nicely. 

Edited by au302
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I guess I’m one of the few that thinks we should give a new head coach more than two years…

The game has changed with the portal. You can reload much quicker. Unfortunately we haven't been able to do so at OL and that will possibly break him

I really like Harsin but if he cant atleast get 8 wins and a top 15 class then we should move on to Freeze to save Auburn football. Once we start getting offensive transfers and talent everyone will forget his past transgressions except our rivals but who likes them anyways?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You thinks he's fired I'd we go 7-5 and recruit about the same as last year ??

Well, no.  That’s why I said we need a top 10 recruiting class with those results.  We didn’t come close to that last year. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

What will WARRANT keeping Harsin? I don't know. However, six wins and a top 20 recruiting class will give him a third year, whether we like it or not.

4-8 or 5-7 and another 9th place in SEC recruiting should show him the door. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

But should it? That's the discussion. 

I don't think we have a chance at a top 10-15 class with a sub 8 win season. Maybe not even at that but that's just my take. I agree with @shabby that meeting the needs at O-line are what he must do and the portal can't be the solution. The portal is fine for supplemental roster needs but we need to figure out how to sell a O-lineman out of high school on Auburn University from a developmental aspect. I think he survives with 6 wins. 

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, no.  That’s why I said we need a top 10 recruiting class with those results.  We didn’t come close to that last year. 

Are you saying we have to have 8 wins with only a top 15-20 recruiting class? 

4 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I guess I’m one of the few that thinks we should give a new head coach more than two years…

I am, too, just trying to get a feel for where the board is at.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I'm confused.

5 hours ago, shabby said:

I don't think any of the options really reflect what he needs to do. It doesn't matter if he recruits in the top ten nationally if he pulls in another Abysmal Offensive Line class. Honestly that's what determines whether he should get another year (How he does recruiting our most pressing needs)

Addressing our needs goes without saying.