Expectations For Harsin

Rednilla

Expectations  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn?

• 6 wins or less (i.e. he should get a third year regardless of what happens on the field)
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 10 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I'm confused.

He's saying that with only 7 wins, we'd best be top 10 recruiting. More wins equals more leeway on how recruiting is going. Right? 

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

He's saying that with only 7 wins, we'd best be top 10 recruiting. More wins equals more leeway on how recruiting is going. Right? 

So "best be" doesn't mean if we don't he'll get fired?

I think there is a balance one way or another.  If we win 9 he could be in the 30s and we're not going to fire him.  If we're 5-7 and have 12 4* kids from Alabama, 3 from GA, 1 from Fla, and a few others and a top 10 class, we're probably not going to fire him.

A few have said a top 10 recruiting clsss. As of right now I just don’t see that as a possibility but it’s still early. It’s like when we barely lost to Bama and people/insiders thought we were gone close out super strong in recruiting and we didn’t. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

A few have said a top 10 recruiting clsss. As of right now I just don’t see that as a possibility but it’s still early. It’s like when we barely lost to Bama and people/insiders thought we were gone close out super strong in recruiting and we didn’t. 

Agree, but in fairness, they did close pretty strong in the early period and were sitting at 12th I think, but then had a miserable finish in February 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I write this: "4-8 or 5-7 and another 9th place in SEC recruiting should show him the door.  Whether it will or not remains to be seen."

And you respond with

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

But should it? That's the discussion. 

What part of should show him the door don't you understand?

• Like 3

My two cents is Auburn should start 5-0 and should be able to beat Ole, MSU Arky and Western to go minimum 9-3. The scary part is Vegas is not in the business of giving away money. However, Auburn still has enough talent for 9-3 and at least a top 15 recruiting class.

My biggest issue is I understand coaching guys up but u need  some studs to compete. For example Cincinnati and Michigan in the playoffs. Bama and Georgia just dominated both teams because of the talent gap.

This years team studs are still from the previous staff in which the team still should be able to compete. The oline are basically grown men against kids so they should be adequate. Hopefully, some dudes emerge to carry over to 2023.

Lastly, he should get 3 years with the floor being 6-6 and a top 20 class. Unless some of the losses are due to coaching. The wishful side of me still thinks Freeze would have been a better option with less of a learning curve. War Eagle

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I guess I’m one of the few that thinks we should give a new head coach more than two years…

duh.gif

5 hours ago, e808 said:

Freeze would have been a better option with less of a learning curve. War Eagle

Freeze has been a HC 10 seasons, and 5 of those he had 5 or more losses. He’s Gus Part 2, but with a history of getting his team put on probation. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Are you saying we have to have 8 wins with only a top 15-20 recruiting class? 

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm confused.

I think I confused myself too.  😂  Sorry, it was a very long day yesterday and looking like a repeat for today.

What I am saying is if we only win 6-7 games, in order for Harsin to keep his job he needs a top 10 recruiting class. If he can’t, we need to part ways.  Harsin needs to succeed in one area this year whether it is on the field or off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If he has a winning season he isn’t getting fired. It will take another losing season to rationalize it to the optics. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

So I write this: "4-8 or 5-7 and another 9th place in SEC recruiting should show him the door.  Whether it will or not remains to be seen."

And you respond with

What part of should show him the door don't you understand?

So then you think he should still have a job if we win 6 games and finish in the low 20s in recruiting, then? Because I'm not looking for what will definitely get him fired, I'm looking for the minimum that you would be okay with us doing and him not getting fired. Do you understand the difference?

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

it's alright to bash and constantly say negative things toward Auburn football program by fans in which it get's aired in the media, and then can't understand why we aren't reaching your expectations. Here is what we are good at, doing our dirty business on the front porch while our rivals are doing there's in the backyard, and we wonder why x isn't happening..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

What I am saying is if we only win 6-7 games, in order for Harsin to keep his job he needs a top 10 recruiting class. If he can’t, we need to part ways.  Harsin needs to succeed in one area this year whether it is on the field or off.

Gotcha.  I think that is what I thought you meant the first time around.  I feel his buyout will be an issue unless the season is a disaster.  If he does win 6/7 and is kept, he'll be on the hottest of hot seats.

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

There are 20 4* kids in the state of Alabama.  

We only had 10 4* kids last year total in our class last year.  We should be able to get 8 from instate, especially in the back half.  Then a handful from other states and we have a strong base of like 14 4* kids.

Our biggest issue getting into the top 10 is I don't see any 5* kids looking hard at us.  You need to have almost all 4* kids to get into the top 10 if you don't have any 5* kids.  

If we win six games or less, I think the only way he is assured of another year is if one of those wins is against Georgia or bama.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

What will WARRANT keeping Harsin? I don't know. However, six wins and a top 20 recruiting class will give him a third year, whether we like it or not.

4-8 or 5-7 and another 9th place in SEC recruiting should show him the door. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

I think he's long gone if we don't make a bowl, especially if he isn't recruiting well.

I think 6 wins and decent recruiting would warrant another year, but year 3 is make or break. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Harsin needs to succeed in one area this year whether it is on the field or off.

This. Show just ONE major area where it looks like we are heading towards competing with the upper level SEC teams. Recruiting? Gameday coaching? Win/loss record? Player retention? Give us at least some solid reason to expect improvement. To date, all we have is talk about "culture" and other intangibles.  Accomplish something solid!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DAG said:

If he has a winning season he isn’t getting fired. It will take another losing season to rationalize it to the optics. 

Agreed, this is Auburn Football for crying out loud! 

If CBH turns in back to back losing seasons he shouldn't make it to Christmas. IF the season starts tanking, he can kiss any decent recruiting class goodbye.  You can't sell your program or your vision to recruits if it doesn't translate to W's.

50 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

even Jeremy pruitt went 8-5 year two won a bowl game and had an 11th ranked recruiting class. I'd like something very similar or damn close to it

If CBH got the players happy meals from the same McDonalds as JP, he would've had a top class too. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If CBH got the players happy meals from the same McDonalds as JP, he would've had a top class too. 

lol -- let's do it, 100k cash in happy meals left at McDonald's to get a few game changers. that's obviously something pruitt learned from little Nicky if you ask me

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This. Show just ONE major area where it looks like we are heading towards competing with the upper level SEC teams. Recruiting? Gameday coaching? Win/loss record? Player retention? Give us at least some solid reason to expect improvement. To date, all we have is talk about "culture" and other intangibles.  Accomplish something solid!

I thought the game against Bama was definitely competitive.

• Like 2

What I want out of Harsin is at least 7 wins and all losses competitive.  Recruiting I would like sub 20 class that hits our needs especially in the trenches. Hitting our needs is more important than class ranking. A top 10 class that did not address O-line would not be acceptable for me. If you lose in the trenches you lose the game.

Rather than focusing on wins and recruiting rankings how about wanting a well coached team where the players know their assignments and execute those assignments to the best of their ability and a game plan that gives our team the best chance of winning. If we get those things everything else will work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1