Expectations For Harsin

Rednilla

Expectations  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn?

• 6 wins or less (i.e. he should get a third year regardless of what happens on the field)
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 10 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally

16 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I really like Harsin but if he cant atleast get 8 wins and a top 15 class then we should move on to Freeze to save Auburn football. Once we start getting offensive transfers and talent everyone will forget his past transgressions except our rivals but who likes them anyways?

Not to hijack this but why do poeple think Freeze is the answer.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

He is not the answer. Auburn has a lot going for it but it also has a lot going against it.  We have great name recognition and we play in the SEC West. Name recognition helps in recruiting but sadly some of that recognition is negative around how our Boosters interfere with athletic department.  Playing in SEC West means we play bama, LSU, Texas A&M every year then add playing uga and you have a brutal schedule which makes winning enough games to get into top 4 very difficult. Getting into top 4 and making the playoffs is imperative to recruiting along with a robust NIL program. 

Some people say we should get Freeze others say Kiffen both are good coaches with Roots in SEC so that should help some with recruiting. Freeze has baggage and I think you will see this year that SEC teams are catching up with Kiffen O just like they did with the Gus O.

What helps recruiting is winning big with our schedule that will be very difficult. I loved Dye but he was also at Auburn at the right time when bama was down and other SEC teams that we played regularly were good but not great. 

Right now if we get rid of Harsin even with a big splash hire we will still have to play bama and uga when they are at the top of their game while recruiting lights out and now A&M with NIL is recruiting as well or better then bama and uga. If Kelley gets LSU back then any coach at Auburn will have a tough time. Add NIL to the mix where I keep hearing different things but that we can't match a lot of schools then any new coach will have his hands full. 

Harsin deserves some of the blame but the landscape has changed with Portal, NIL, etc. some of our issues are not Harsin.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Because he understands how things work in the SEC with recruiting. He got big time players to sign to Ole Miss before they had any success. He has a name to attract big time QBs which will attract other offensive talent. He seems like the type that would get along great with the boosters. (I think Deion could recruit like crazy too but I'm just not sure he would leave a HBU to coach at Auburn)

Edited to add: 

I like Harsin and hope he can bring that Boise ST flavor to Auburn but with better talent and we will win a lot of games. This is what I've been waiting for and have yet to see it. 

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Remember this that probably a majority of the people that think Freeze is the answer also thought Gus an Harsin was also the answer.

I can't bring myself to get behind Hugh Freeze at Auburn.  I just don't like the way he left the Ole Miss program or the personal baggage he brings. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Because he understands how things work in the SEC with recruiting. He got big time players to sign to Ole Miss before they had any success. He has a name to attract big time QBs which will attract other offensive talent. He seems like the type that would get along great with the boosters. (I think Deion could recruit like crazy too but I'm just not sure he would leave a HBU to coach at Auburn)

His SEC recruitng got Ole Miss on probation, the players signed for reasons that led to probation.  He doesnt attract big time QBs, name me a big time QB under Freeze, and dont say Malik Willis he was over rated as saw by this year and the NFL draft.  Freeze might get along with the boosters but he seems like a used car salesman to me.  

I hope Harsin works out and builds Auburn up but if they move on after this year (which would be a mistake) you better bring in someone better than Freeze or Kiffin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

His SEC recruitng got Ole Miss on probation, the players signed for reasons that led to probation.  He doesnt attract big time QBs, name me a big time QB under Freeze, and dont say Malik Willis he was over rated as saw by this year and the NFL draft.  Freeze might get along with the boosters but he seems like a used car salesman to me.  

I hope Harsin works out and builds Auburn up but if they move on after this year (which would be a mistake) you better bring in someone better than Freeze or Kiffin.

Freeze is the best we could get. Nobody better than that is coming here unless we luck up on Stoops returning but the longer he waits the more his name will be forgotten by the younger generation. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

who do you think is a possible answer?

It's been stated that Auburn had Mario Christobal in the bag and he'd already selected his staff, then the tables turned.  A solid candidate with HC experience, a good age and knew the SEC layout.  I was happy to see we'd pursued a guy like that.  

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It's been stated that Auburn had Mario Christobal in the bag and he'd already selected his staff, then the tables turned.  A solid candidate with HC experience, a good age and knew the SEC layout.  I was happy to see we'd pursued a guy like that.  

Respectfully calling a spade a spade. Cristobal is no better than Freeze. Freeze issue is what separates them. Freeze did something wrong but does that mean he can’t right a wrong. Good thing that didn’t stop the CBP hire. Cristobal might create buzz but IMO has massively underachieved. Most don’t think Gus is the greatest coach and he beat him at a neutral site with a freshmen Qb starting for the very first time. Let that sink in and Oregon had a first round quarterback 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I was hoping the poster would respond and put some skin in the game because I view drive by comments disparaging all hires and suggestions without putting skin in the game as exceptionally weak. that said, thanks for your input.

I personally do not like crystobal but who knows he could very well have been successful 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I was hoping the poster would respond and put some skin in the game because I view drive by comments disparaging all hires and suggestions without putting skin in the game as exceptionally weak. that said, thanks for your input.

I personally do not like crystobal but who knows he could very well have been successful 

To me the pac 12 was pretty weak. It’s interesting that he bolts to Miami when Lincoln gets to USC and seems to be bringing everything with him but the kitchen sink lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

To me the pac 12 was pretty weak. It’s interesting that he bolts to Miami when Lincoln gets to USC and seems to be bringing everything with him but the kitchen sink lol

Meh, I'm not sure he wouldn't have gone to Miami from anywhere if they offered. I mean, it IS his alma mater.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Meh, I'm not sure he wouldn't have gone to Miami from anywhere if they offered. I mean, it IS his alma mater.

True, I forgot to take that into consideration.

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Mario Cristobal, whom a lot of people love, possibly due to his recruiting acumen, always loss games he had no business losing.  It probably would've taken a lot of money to get him here and I can tell you, this fanbase would've been angry with us losing to the likes of Arkansas with top five or ten talent he would've brought in.  I wanted Bill Napier as well and I am willing to bet he will do good things at UF, IF they are patient (At this moment, they haven't been). With that being said, I am rooting for CBH. I truly feel with the harmony of the staff, another year for players in this system and more SEC experience this team can get 7-8 wins, buying him more time (As he well would deserve) to grow this program.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He is not the answer. Auburn has a lot going for it but it also has a lot going against it.  We have great name recognition and we play in the SEC West. Name recognition helps in recruiting but sadly some of that recognition is negative around how our Boosters interfere with athletic department.  Playing in SEC West means we play bama, LSU, Texas A&M every year then add playing uga and you have a brutal schedule which makes winning enough games to get into top 4 very difficult. Getting into top 4 and making the playoffs is imperative to recruiting along with a robust NIL program. 

Some people say we should get Freeze others say Kiffen both are good coaches with Roots in SEC so that should help some with recruiting. Freeze has baggage and I think you will see this year that SEC teams are catching up with Kiffen O just like they did with the Gus O.

What helps recruiting is winning big with our schedule that will be very difficult. I loved Dye but he was also at Auburn at the right time when bama was down and other SEC teams that we played regularly were good but not great. 

Right now if we get rid of Harsin even with a big splash hire we will still have to play bama and uga when they are at the top of their game while recruiting lights out and now A&M with NIL is recruiting as well or better then bama and uga. If Kelley gets LSU back then any coach at Auburn will have a tough time. Add NIL to the mix where I keep hearing different things but that we can't match a lot of schools then any new coach will have his hands full. 

Harsin deserves some of the blame but the landscape has changed with Portal, NIL, etc. some of our issues are not Harsin.

Yes, and a good portion of our fans have deluded themselves into thinking that we can contend for championships on a consistent basis our current schedule. Thankfully we have at most three more seasons of the current format, possibly just one, but I see people wishing for Florida as our third permanent opponent. Anyone better than MSU in that third spot and we're right back to where we have been.

If in the 1% chance they go with the 1-7/7, that would be a massive playing field leveler even with getting the toughest permanent opponent. But of course, so many people here would be ardently against something that we would MASSIVELY benefit from. Maybe we really are our own worst enemy...

I've been forthcoming that I would happily take the "All-Auburn coaching staff" someone proposed a few months ago. I know that is an unpopular opinion here but that would be one HELL of a team of recruiters.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Mario Cristobal, whom a lot of people love, possibly due to his recruiting acumen, always loss games he had no business losing.  It probably would've taken a lot of money to get him here and I can tell you, this fanbase would've been angry with us losing to the likes of Arkansas with top five or ten talent he would've brought in.  I wanted Bill Napier as well and I am willing to bet he will do good things at UF, IF they are patient (At this moment, they haven't been). With that being said, I am rooting for CBH. I truly feel with the harmony of the staff, another year for players in this system and more SEC experience this team can get 7-8 wins, buying him more time (As he well would deserve) to grow this program.

I'm interested to see what Napier can do in the swamp.  IMO it's going to take a winning season to get that extra year, and hopefully top recruits will see we're moving in a positive direction AND hopefully NIL Auburn will be in competitive shape as well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Todd Boles, Eric bienemy or Mike zimmer

Todd Bowles, as in the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? You must think Auburn has a lot of pull...

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I'm interested to see what Napier can do in the swamp.  IMO it's going to take a winning season to get that extra year, and hopefully top recruits will see we're moving in a positive direction AND hopefully NIL Auburn will be in competitive shape as well. 

Well he'll have enough support staff over 50 strictly for support that my friend is crazy.. for comparison Auburn has 38

Chris Couch GameChanger Coordinator   footballmail@gators.ufl.edu @Coach_Couch56
Mark Hocke Mark Hocke Associate Head Coach / Director of Football Strength and Conditioning 4959 footballmail@gators.ufl.edu coachmhocke
  Joshua Thompson Director of Football Operations 4100 JoshT@gators.ufl.edu JThompsonFB
Jamar Chaney Jamar Chaney Defensive Analyst – ILB/OLB 4100 JamarC@gators.ufl.edu Jamar51Chaney
  Kyle Kazakevicius Assistant of Quality Control / Assistant to the Head Coach 4151 KyleK@gators.ufl.edu Coach_KyleKaz
Cheston Blackshear Cheston Blackshear Quality Control - Offensive Line 4100 ChestonB@gators.ufl.edu cblackshear
Ty Darlington Ty Darlington Quality Control - Tight Ends   TyD@gators.ufl.edu TyDarlingtonUF
  Benedick Hyppolite Quality Control - Running Backs   BenedickH@gators.ufl.edu CoachDub305
Braxton Morris Braxton Morris Quality Control - Defense 4100 BraxtonM@gators.ufl.edu bmorris_11
Ryan O Ryan O'Hara Offensive Analyst – Quarterbacks 4100 RyanO@gators.ufl.edu CoachRyanO
Kareem Reid Kareem Reid Quality Control – Defensive Line   KareemR@gators.ufl.edu CoachReid99
Mike Richard Mike Richard Quality Control - Offensive Line 4100 MikeRi@gators.ufl.edu MikeRichardFB
Lamar Sorey Lamar Sorey Quality Control - Personnel   LamarS@gators.ufl.edu LamarSorey
CJ Wilford CJ Wilford Quality Control - Defense 4100 CJW@gators.ufl.edu CoachCWilford
  Deron Wilson Quality Control - Cornerbacks   DeronW@gators.ufl.edu @CoachDWilson15
David Doeker David Doeker Graduate Assistant, Offense     CoachDeckUF
  Tyler Henderson Graduate Assistant, Defense     @TJH3_
Brandon Taylor Brandon Taylor Graduate Assistant, GameChanger     _CoachBTaylor
Shane Vallot Shane Vallot Graduate Assistant, Defense     @CoachVallot
Bird Sherrill Bird Sherrill Director of College Personnel 4100 BirdS@gators.ufl.edu bird_sherrill
Jacob LaFrance Jacob LaFrance Director of Player Personnel 4132 JacobLa@gators.ufl.edu JacobLaFrance
Chase Clark Chase Clark Assistant for College Personnel / On-Campus Recruiting 4100 ChaseC@gators.uf.edu chaseclarkUF
Joe  Hamilton Joe Hamilton Personnel Analyst - Defense 4100 JoeH@gators.ufl.edu @JoeHamilton__
Nick McDonald Nick McDonald Personnel Analyst - Offense 4100 NickMc@gators.ufl.edu nickmc22
Joe Danos Joe Danos Director of Player Athletic Development 4952 JoeD@gators.ufl.edu  
Frank Ogas Frank Ogas Assistant for Player Development 4952 FrankO@gators.ufl.edu CoachOgasIII
Tiger Jones Tiger Jones Director of Speed Improvement and Skill Development   TigerJ@gators.ufl.edu tigray2
Karmichael Dunbar Karmichael Dunbar Strength and Conditioning Assistant 4949 KarmichaelD@gators.ufl.edu KarmichaelD
Edward Thompson Edward Thompson Strength and Conditioning Assistant 4949 EdwardT@gators.ufl.edu EdThompsonjr_
Alex Watkins Alex Watkins Strength and Conditioning Assistant   AlexW@gators.ufl.edu AlexWat91
Katie Turner Katie Turner Assistant AD of Recruiting Strategy 4190 KatieT@gators.ufl.edu katieturner0087
Bri Wade Bri Wade Director of On-Campus Recruiting and Football Events 4186 BriW@gators.ufl.edu briazjawade
Sierra  Griffin Sierra Griffin On-Campus Recruiting Coordinator   SierraG@gators.ufl.edu @sierragriff
Doug Domingue Doug Domingue Senior Director of Recruiting Innovation 4100 DougD@gators.ufl.edu djdomingue
Tamsyn Stonebarger Tamsyn Stonebarger Associate Director of Digital Strategy   TamsynS@gators.ufl.edu TamsynPStone
Jordan Herald Jordan Herald Director of Creative Media, Football Recruiting   JordanH@gators.ufl.edu JordanHerald5
Marcus Castro-Walker Marcus Castro-Walker Director of Player Engagement and NIL 4100 MarcusC@gators.ufl.edu MCastroWalker
Andrew Burkett Andrew Burkett Director of Research and Evaluation 4100 AndrewB@gators.ufl.edu amburkett64
Kelsee Gomes Kelsee Gomes Director of Sports Nutrition - Football   KelseeG@gators.ufl.edu kelsee_gomes
Rachel Adamkowski Rachel Adamkowski Football Performance Dietitian   RachelA@gators.ufl.edu  
Tony Hill Tony Hill Associate Director, Sports Health for Football   TonyH@gators.ufl.edu  
Vernell Brown Jr. Vernell Brown Jr. Senior Director of Student-Athlete Development / Alumni Relations 4100 VernellB@gators.ufl.edu CoachVB_UF
  Savannah Bailey Senior Director of Player Relations and GatorMade 4153 SavannahB@gators.ufl.edu  
Ashour Peera Ashour Peera Director of Football Logistics 4133 AshourP@gators.ufl.edu CoachPeera
Nancy Scarborough Nancy Scarborough Executive Assistant 4128 nancys@gators.ufl.edu  
Shawnee Sellers Shawnee Sellers Coordinator II 4133 shawnees@gators.ufl.edu  
Diane Lebon Diane Lebon Football Business Manager & GatorMade Coordinator 4100 DianeL@gators.ufl.edu  
  Scott Hoffman Assistant Director of Creative Video 4100 ScottHo@gators.ufl.edu  
Randy Mickens Randy Mickens Associate Director of Creative Video for Football Recruiting 4138 randym@gators.ufl.edu RandyMickens

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, au302 said:

Agree, but in fairness, they did close pretty strong in the early period and were sitting at 12th I think, but then had a miserable finish in February 

The February finish alone is enough to have him sitting on a blistering hot seat. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

It's because he was recruiting #1 at OM with massive cheating and because he runs Gus's offense with a more dynamic passing game. It's laughable to me because it doesnt change the fact that it's still a HS offense. And personally I'm not one to judge his off field transgressions, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people will and it would absolutely be easy negative recruiting. There will be mothers of recruits that would not want him in their homes. If we don't go big after BH with a Rhule, Fickell, etc., I'd rather go for someone like Jeff Grimes or Jeff Lebby over Hugh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e808 said:

True, I forgot to take that into consideration.

Plus it's Miami and not Eugene. More money and love at the U than he'd ever have at Oregon

6 hours ago, Carnell said:

Remember this that probably a majority of the people that think Freeze is the answer also thought Gus an Harsin was also the answer.

Verdict is still out on Harsin. 

• Like 1