Expectations For Harsin

Rednilla

Expectations  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the bare minimum Bryan Harsin has to accomplish in the regular season to warrant a third year at Auburn?

• 6 wins or less (i.e. he should get a third year regardless of what happens on the field)
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 7 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 8 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 20 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 15 nationally
    • 9 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally
    • 10 Wins, Recruiting in top 10 nationally

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

He did win in Red Stick, something Auburn had not done in more than two decades. But don't let anyone take the air out of your bluster.

By the way, the reason people see you as a Gus fanboy is that you invariably came to Malzahn's defense for YEARS when he didn't deserve it, and now you're not giving Harsin the least amount of slack. It's not difficult to notice.

Beating an LSU team that had a losing record is a brag point? That's as weak as brag points get.

As for the rest of your bluster, :thumbsdown:  . Harsin will get some slack if he ever earns some slack. So far all he's accomplished is leading Auburn to the first losing season in nine years.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

As for the rest of your bluster, :thumbsdown:  . Harsin will get some slack if he ever earns some slack. So far all he's accomplished is leading Auburn to the first losing season in nine years.

So no understanding that it's a new regime, no time to set up shop his way, he's got to produce instantly or he's gotta go. That's your stance?

13 hours ago, Carnell said:

Forgot about that but if Auburn had acted on him instead of Harsin he was DC of Tampa at that time but we mess around with HS coaches and BSU coaches oh well JABA.

Dude...

Todd Bowles is 58 years old and has spent the last 22 years of his career coaching in the NFL. He spent 4 seasons as the HC of the New York Jets and after his success as Tampa Bay's DC was obviously going to be on the shortlist for another NFL HC job.

Do you understand the concept of an NFL-lifer? This isn't Madden, there are coaches who have zero interest in coaching in College. You can identify them pretty easily by spending two minutes on Wikipedia.

If you're going to suggest alternatives, at least use some common sense and screen your supposed candidates. Saying "well how do you know he wouldn't take the job? Was he asked?" isn't a response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

No.....................ok went don't go jumping off a cliff I'm just kidding sorta

Wonderful. What’s the point of us even having a program going forward, then? 🤔 

(This is part of why letting Bo go was a bad idea…he was one of the highest earners in CFB IIRC.)

Edited by AUwent

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So no understanding that it's a new regime, no time to set up shop his way, he's got to produce instantly or he's gotta go. That's your stance?

The vast majority of new regimes improve their team's record in the first year. Harsin's team didn't get better than the prior year, it got worse. How long will we continue to wait for something positive to get done?

Recruiting? No, didn't happen but just wait for the portal!

Portal? Well no, lost more there than we gained but just wait for....what?

Next year? Right now, the national pundits have AU at 5-7 and that includes three gimme' games. Is that what we're waiting for?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Wonderful. What’s the point of us even having a program going forward, then? 🤔 

(This is part of why letting Bo go was a bad idea…he was one of the highest earners in CFB IIRC.)

There you go jumping off the cliff. I say lets become a rugby power house.....and forget football all together now!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The vast majority of new regimes improve their team's record in the first year. Harsin's team didn't get better than the prior year, it got worse. How long will we continue to wait for something positive to get done?

Recruiting? No, didn't happen but just wait for the portal!

Portal? Well no, lost more there than we gained but just wait for....what?

Next year? Right now, the national pundits have AU at 5-7 and that includes three gimme' games. Is that what we're waiting for?

You've been nothing but negative since Harsin showed up, Mike. You never gave him a chance.

And now it's like you're gleefully pounding home every negative point you can. Why? Because it really feels like you're sitting back, almost enjoying yourself, while saying, "I told you so!"

You keep harping on the going backwards record wise, but what you're missing is that this is the first time we've had a coach get fired without things completely falling apart on him during his final season. But the mess left to be cleaned up was still there, so it was always going to be rocky for a while.

And rather than being supportive of Auburn's new head coach, you've decided you're going to tear him down at every possible avenue. Gosh, what a great Auburn man you are.

Now, I'll admit, the odds are stacked against Harsin right now. But he deserves more than a single season of backing from the fan base, I think.

Or else maybe we really are the worst fans in the country.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

These kinds of threads seem to be started to get arguments begun on totally subjective topics. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure the same math really even applies, anymore. Unless something changes with NIL, "recruiting" seems to be more of a fundraising campaign outside of the coaching staff than anything else. That's more or less how it's been for select schools, but now it's going to be the norm for the top talent. So the question is more about if Harsin can maximize the product on the field with the level of talent Auburn can get through NIL. Strictly as an on the field coach, Harsin had his highs and lows last year, but the first year turnover on his staff was concerning. This will be a telling year because we probably have less talent than last season and arguably a tougher schedule. I think he can probably get away with 6 wins and still make getting rid of him a bad PR move. 5 or less, and it's hard for me to see him sticking around. 

I would have said replacing him would be more based on recruiting than results at this point, but going forward, I'm not sure how much you can hold a head coach accountable for that. It's a new game. 

We seem to be doing ok with NIL in non-football sports. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

He did win in Red Stick, something Auburn had not done in more than two decades. But don't let anyone take the air out of your bluster.

By the way, the reason people see you as a Gus fanboy is that you invariably came to Malzahn's defense for YEARS when he didn't deserve it, and now you're not giving Harsin the least amount of slack. It's not difficult to notice.

He is a TURD! this board is full of them, they have been treating true Auburn fans like the FBI break down a threat from a group of malcontents, light a match and watch it burn from within.

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is there a breakdown somewhere for AU athletes with contracts & $$ amounts for NIL? 

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

He is a TURD! this board is full of them, they have been treating true Auburn fans like the FBI break down a threat from a group of malcontents, light a match and watch it burn from within.

Mikey is not a turd as in a uat turd fan, he's 100% Auburn. 

But he's been acting like an old fart.  The non-stop regurgitation of last season's record + comparing Harsin to Beamer/Heupel's 1st yrs + the long list of negative's on recruiting + every negative talking point he can muster for Harsin's first 17 mos on the job.  It all gets thrown up on the carpet like a cat puking up a fur ball. 

His stuff has to be pasted somewhere, it's too damn much work to type out the same stuff in every thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Mikey is not a turd as in a uat turd fan, he's 100% Auburn. 

But he's been acting like an old fart.  The non-stop regurgitation of last season's record + comparing Harsin to Beamer/Heupel's 1st yrs + the long list of negative's on recruiting + every negative talking point he can muster for Harsin's first 17 mos on the job.  It all gets thrown up on the carpet like a cat puking up a fur ball. 

His stuff has to be pasted somewhere, it's too damn much work to type out the same stuff in every thread. 

Unfortunately the media read these boards and take one poster comment and turn it into a majority, and we look bad Perceptionally and it works against Auburn. 

20 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Unfortunately the media read these boards and take one poster comment and turn it into a majority, and we look bad Perceptionally and it works against Auburn. 

If one person has that much power than he or she should run for some type of office. We are fans and won’t agree on every topic. Anything can be spun nowadays as a person could say something and it could be interpreted many different ways. I am pretty sure everyone in here are Auburn fans but have difference of opinion on certain topics and that’s ok. 
Lastly, if Auburn is kicking butt on the field that’s all the perception u need.

Edited by e808

Instead of talking s*** to Mikey, how about you instead refute any of the points he has brought up? Give him some glimmer of hope. 

If you can't do that, is he really wrong in anything being said?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I also think we have comparatively better status in many of the major Auburn sports. It’s really 80% NIL 20% how much do I like you as a coach in many big recruitments nowadays 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

39 minutes ago, e808 said:

If one person has that much power than he or she should run for some type of office. We are fans and won’t agree on every topic. Anything can be spun nowadays as a person could say something and it could be interpreted many different ways. I am pretty sure everyone in here are Auburn fans but have difference of opinion on certain topics and that’s ok. 
Lastly, if Auburn is kicking butt on the field that’s all the perception u need.

if!!! we suffer from terrible baggage.. that seems to stick to Auburn like mole through out a house, we need positivity not constant bickering of opinions although everyone has one some are just not good.

52 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Instead of talking s*** to Mikey, how about you instead refute any of the points he has brought up? Give him some glimmer of hope. 

If you can't do that, is he really wrong in anything being said?

I do refute his points. And then he moves the goal posts. It's been his song and dance for over a decade on here.

BTW, unless I miss my mark, Mikey doesn't want a glimmer of hope, because he wants to be proven right about how we never should have fired Malzahn because we'd turn into Tennessee. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eaglenest said:

If you mean he's a bammer, no, he's not. I've been interacting with him long enough to know that he's an Auburn fan, he just has some twisted perspectives about things.

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

Are our boosters ever going to start spending NIL $? That’s about the only thing that makes me feel like he should get another year regardless.

My theory is that we are using NIL, but only for established players at Auburn who have proven themselves on the field here (Tank, Shenker, Wooden, etc). It doesn't seem like we are using it for recruiting in football. Or if we are, we aren't using it aggressively at all 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

Recruiting I would like sub 20 class that hits our needs especially in the trenches. Hitting our needs is more important than class ranking.

This.

36 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

if!!! we suffer from terrible baggage.. that seems to stick to Auburn like mole through out a house, we need positivity not constant bickering of opinions although everyone has one some are just not good.

All I have to say is winning is the biggest positive for any program. What fans say on a message board shouldn’t have any impact on a program. That’s even moreso now with NIL in the mix. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

My theory is that we are using NIL, but only for established players at Auburn who have proven themselves on the field here (Tank, Shenker, Wooden, etc). It doesn't seem like we are using it for recruiting in football. Or if we are, we aren't using it aggressively at all 

The way I understand it is that Harsin was behind the curve with NIL in February, but that he's gotten up to speed (at least for the most part) at this point and we're in a much better spot with the 2023 kids.

Realistically, unless we get at least 8 wins, cracking the recruiting top 10 is probably going to be tough to do. I haven't really paid attention to this year's crop of recruits (all my recruiting energy is still being spent on basketball, and probably will continue that way until we either sign a transfer wing or decide to discontinue the search for a 13th man), but I feel like Harsin needs to show them that he's legit before the big dogs are going to take him seriously.

And we'll probably have to sign at least one 5 star player to make the top 10, more probably two or three, and double digit 4 star players. That's probably going to be a tough haul to pull unless Harsin has pretty decent job security, and even though I'm pleased with the patience shown by most of the crowd in this poll, if we don't win but 6 or 7 games next year, Hars is on the hot seat in 2023.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

The way I understand it is that Harsin was behind the curve with NIL in February, but that he's gotten up to speed (at least for the most part) at this point and we're in a much better spot with the 2023 kids.

Realistically, unless we get at least 8 wins, cracking the recruiting top 10 is probably going to be tough to do. I haven't really paid attention to this year's crop of recruits (all my recruiting energy is still being spent on basketball, and probably will continue that way until we either sign a transfer wing or decide to discontinue the search for a 13th man), but I feel like Harsin needs to show them that he's legit before the big dogs are going to take him seriously.

And we'll probably have to sign at least one 5 star player to make the top 10, more probably two or three, and double digit 4 star players. That's probably going to be a tough haul to pull unless Harsin has pretty decent job security, and even though I'm pleased with the patience shown by most of the crowd in this poll, if we don't win but 6 or 7 games next year, Hars is on the hot seat in 2023.

Well, this makes me feel a bit more hopeful that we can right the ship—whether Hars is the man to do that is in question.