Vegas over/under on games won by Auburn: 5.5

homersapien

42 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

WR - I think we're more talented than last year, but in '21 we had a lot more experience.  Right now I'd give the edge to '21 team.  Of the WRs we lots, none are irreplaceable.  I just don't know if anyone can replace them right now.  We have too may 5'8" and small WRs.  I like the Miami transfers, but not buying into that hype right now.  I doubt a TrFr will be a heavy contributor.  I thought Capers looked smooth in A-Day, but he seems he can never take control of a starting spot.

I think we might be less talented just due to the loss of Hudson and the younger players being inexperienced and unproven.  I could be wrong come gameday though.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think we might be less talented just due to the loss of Hudson and the younger players being inexperienced and unproven.  I could be wrong come gameday though.

I was trying to separate talent and experience.  We are definitely less experienced.  I was extremely high on Kobe.

Overall talent, including TrFr that we brought in, I think is a push at best. Kobe is a loss, but Kelly, Fair, the Miami kid, Brown...are all really talented kids.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

QB - Push for starter.  Calzada/Bo are nearly idential stats wise.  Both do different things better.  We have more depth in '22.

OL - Better than last year.  0 draftable starters in 2021.  At least 2 young OL overtaking starting spots & possibly draftable.  The OL is better, but I still don't think it'll be good.

TE - Better than last year.  Everyone is back w/ more experience.  Multiple young TEs with 0 experience now experienced.  Ex Landon King only had 5 catches, he'll probably have 25+

WR - I think we're more talented than last year, but in '21 we had a lot more experience.  Right now I'd give the edge to '21 team.  Of the WRs we lots, none are irreplaceable.  I just don't know if anyone can replace them right now.  We have too may 5'8" and small WRs.  I like the Miami transfers, but not buying into that hype right now.  I doubt a TrFr will be a heavy contributor.  I thought Capers looked smooth in A-Day, but he seems he can never take control of a starting spot.

RB - This is push for even the most pessimistic person, but I'd lean better due to year 2 in the system for Tank + Hunter not being a TrFr anymore.

Defense:

DT - Drastically better.  Everyone is back.  NT is better with Jones over Fair.  Harris is the size of a DT now vs a big DE.  Lost no one of importance

DE/Edge - Wooden/Hall/Leota all back.  Leota will be improved.  Z Walker is healthy.  Lost no one, gained experience and size.  M'ba possibly a huge addition, but I'm weary on juco.

LB - Push.  Lose Zakoby, gain a healthy Pappoe.  Wooten wasn't good.  Between  Riley/Asante/Steiner/Joki/Tisdol....we'll be OK at LB

CB - This is clearly the biggest position group that is worse.  We lost a true #1 CB.  DJ James is good & a great addition, but he's still not as good as Roger.

S - I think this is probably next in line after CB.  Smoke is a big loss and I don't think we have a SS to replace them.  Push with Kaufman (who wasn't very good) and push with Zion.  These two could be better than last year, will not be hard, but not guaranteed yet.

I think this is a fair synopsis. I do, however, think Calzada fits Harsin's system better than Bo did.

50 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I think this is a fair synopsis. I do, however, think Calzada fits Harsin's system better than Bo did.

If ZC can get more accurate on throws un 15 yards he should be really good. Those are drive extenders and it'll give him more opportunities for deeper passes.

I'll be interested to see how Bo/Zack play out.  Bo was finally playing at a consistent level.  I hope Harsin can have as much improvement on Calzada. 

If our QB play gets better, we can win every game except  Bama/UGA

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If ZC can get more accurate on throws un 15 yards he should be really good. Those are drive extenders and it'll give him more opportunities for deeper passes.

I'll be interested to see how Bo/Zack play out.  Bo was finally playing at a consistent level.  I hope Harsin can have as much improvement on Calzada. 

If our QB play gets better, we can win every game except  Bama/UGA

I'm counting on Harsin working with Calzada on his footwork, which should make a big difference with those throws. He's got the arm to make every throw in the book once he gets the mechanics right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'm counting on Harsin working with Calzada on his footwork, which should make a big difference with those throws. He's got the arm to make every throw in the book once he gets the mechanics right.

I do tend to worry that ZC got 3 years of good QB coaching with Jimbo and that was his result. At least with Bo we knew he got 2 years go HS level coaching before Bobo/Harsin.

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

QB - Push for starter.  Calzada/Bo are nearly idential stats wise.  Both do different things better.  We have more depth in '22.

OL - Better than last year.  0 draftable starters in 2021.  At least 2 young OL overtaking starting spots & possibly draftable.  The OL is better, but I still don't think it'll be good.

TE - Better than last year.  Everyone is back w/ more experience.  Multiple young TEs with 0 experience now experienced.  Ex Landon King only had 5 catches, he'll probably have 25+

RB - This is push for even the most pessimistic person, but I'd lean better due to year 2 in the system for Tank + Hunter not being a TrFr anymore.

Defense:

DT - Drastically better.  Everyone is back.  NT is better with Jones over Fair.  Harris is the size of a DT now vs a big DE.  Lost no one of importance

DE/Edge - Wooden/Hall/Leota all back.  Leota will be improved.  Z Walker is healthy.  Lost no one, gained experience and size.  M'ba possibly a huge addition, but I'm weary on juco.

LB - Push.  Lose Zakoby, gain a healthy Pappoe.  Wooten wasn't good.  Between  Riley/Asante/Steiner/Joki/Tisdol....we'll be OK at LB

CB - This is clearly the biggest position group that is worse.  We lost a true #1 CB.  DJ James is good & a great addition, but he's still not as good as Roger.

S - I think this is probably next in line after CB.  Smoke is a big loss and I don't think we have a SS to replace them.  Push with Kaufman (who wasn't very good) and push with Zion.  These two could be better than last year, will not be hard, but not guaranteed yet.

That may be your honest opinion. However, you'll have to sell it to someone else because I'm not buying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

That may be your honest opinion. However, you'll have to sell it to someone else because I'm not buying.

Great response.  Very detailed

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I do tend to worry that ZC got 3 years of good QB coaching with Jimbo and that was his result. At least with Bo we knew he got 2 years go HS level coaching before Bobo/Harsin.

Hopefully ZC didn't hit his ceiling with Jimbo. 🤞

15 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Hopefully ZC didn't hit his ceiling with Jimbo. 🤞

Hopefully.  I do think there is some benefit to starting year 2 than being a 1st year starter thrusted into the role b/c of an injury  Hopefully the experience carries forward and our offense suits him better.  I don't know a lot about Jimbos offense, but I know their fans complain his route combination take forever to develop up.  Maybe change of offense fits him better too.  

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully.  I do think there is some benefit to starting year 2 than being a 1st year starter thrusted into the role b/c of an injury  Hopefully the experience carries forward and our offense suits him better.  I don't know a lot about Jimbos offense, but I know their fans complain his route combination take forever to develop up.  Maybe change of offense fits him better too.  

His overall rating last year was very close to Nix’s last year so lowest bar is a push.

29 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

His overall rating last year was very close to Nix’s last year so lowest bar is a push.

I agree. They have different strengths, but overall neither were very good. Nix did seem to hit a stride in his last 4 games that I don't think Calzada ever hit

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's a fair point, because Jimbo is a legit QB coach. I'm just hoping that a different perspective is going to make a world of difference, more similar to basketball with Walker Kessler learning what he did at UNC before coming here and putting it all together in Bruce's system, if that makes any sense. Time will tell, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That's a fair point, because Jimbo is a legit QB coach. I'm just hoping that a different perspective is going to make a world of difference, more similar to basketball with Walker Kessler learning what he did at UNC before coming here and putting it all together in Bruce's system, if that makes any sense. Time will tell, I suppose.

I agree. It's just hope at this point 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Great response.  Very detailed

It got all the detail a post that claims LB are a push deserved. There are other claims just as ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It got all the detail a post that claims LB are a push deserved. There are other claims just as ridiculous.

lmao from a guying thinking Wooten was a good LB.

We lost a guy who couldn't get drafted and replaced him with a guy that is expected to get drafted, who was hurt all year.  Everyone else is the same, but more experienced.

Somehow that means we are drastically worse.

Yes Yes yes, I know you're a Bo-liever.  How could we ever replace a 3 year stater that ranked 11th of 14 QBs in the SEC

Edited by W.E.D
  • Sad 1

Man any Auburn football discussion is just pure misery. It's absolutely miserable we are really debating if we will actually win more than 5 games this upcoming season. Shows you how bad the state of the program is. And with how bleak recruiting is going doesn't look like it will get any better in the future. I know this post by me is not making it any better at all 😂😆. Muhhhh bad!!! All I ask is our next coach be someone we all love and make us feel the way that BRUUUUCE does. 💙🧡

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Man any Auburn football discussion is just pure misery. It's absolutely miserable we are really debating if we will actually win more than 5 games this upcoming season. Shows you how bad the state of the program is. And with how bleak recruiting is going doesn't look like it will get any better in the future. I know this post by me is not making it any better at all 😂😆. Muhhhh bad!!! All I ask is our next coach be someone we all love and make us feel the way that BRUUUUCE does. 💙🧡

There are several coaches who would give me hope in the program again but I suspect that many in our fanbase would not be happy with them.

#stopatthesignofthelemon

On 5/29/2022 at 10:53 PM, Mikey said:

AU had one drafted? and lost a total of 19 to the portal plus a few more just moved on from college. It's not like we've gained talent or experience since last season.

Yea it’s not like LSU got one if the best coaches in college football 🤔 well then again maybe LSU did get one if the best. You can bet Kelly will have LSU ready to go. 

• Like 2

I’m always hopeful, but I still don’t completely trust this coaching staff to turn it around. The way I see it:

Probable wins: Mercer, SJSU, mizzou, WKU

Probable Losses: UGAly, Ole Miss, Bama, Penn State

Toss-ups:  LSU, MSU, Arky, TAMU (not buying the hype)

Split the toss ups evenly, and that’s 6-6. 5.5 is the right betting line…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I’m always hopeful, but I still don’t completely trust this coaching staff to turn it around. The way I see it:

Probable wins: Mercer, SJSU, mizzou, WKU

Probable Losses: UGAly, Ole Miss, Bama, Penn State

Toss-ups:  LSU, MSU, Arky, TAMU (not buying the hype)

Split the toss ups evenly, and that’s 6-6. 5.5 is the right betting line…

If you're putting TAMU and LSU in the Toss-ups category, might as well throw PSU in there too.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/RayIsaacSchool/status/1533815846656679936/video/1

Look, I'm not here to defend Calzada, because even I was pretty bummed when we got him. He's got a lot to work on with footwork and short pass accuracy, but I think people on here underestimate the ceiling this guy has. Arm strength isn't everything, but I would bet a dollar that he's got a top 5 college arm.

Point being, there isn't a throw the guy can't make with that. If Harsin works hard with him and uses him right, we could have something. Because on talent alone I don't see how anyone can say this guy has come close to reaching his ceiling. His measurables and arm talent alone scream NFL starter ceiling. But yes, as of today on paper I acknowledge that he's a downgrade.

11 hours ago, au302 said:

https://twitter.com/RayIsaacSchool/status/1533815846656679936/video/1

Look, I'm not here to defend Calzada, because even I was pretty bummed when we got him. He's got a lot to work on with footwork and short pass accuracy, but I think people on here underestimate the ceiling this guy has. Arm strength isn't everything, but I would bet a dollar that he's got a top 5 college arm.

Point being, there isn't a throw the guy can't make with that. If Harsin works hard with him and uses him right, we could have something. Because on talent alone I don't see how anyone can say this guy has come close to reaching his ceiling. His measurables and arm talent alone scream NFL starter ceiling. But yes, as of today on paper I acknowledge that he's a downgrade.

I think he's *only* a downgrade on paper, and that's not an admonishment of Bo. I hope like hell that Bo lights it up at Oregon, because to me he will always be a member of the Family, and I want to see him do well.

I also think he was best to transfer. Not because of Harsin, but because of the toxic relationship the fans have with him. I think he'll be better appreciated in Eugene, and I think all that pressure of being a legacy 5 star QB coming off will benefit him.

I also think that he and Harsin weren't quite seeing eye to eye. This isn't based upon anything other than a feel for the program, which admittedly could be off, but I don't get the feeling that Bo really bought into what Harsin is selling as far as what it takes to be the team leader at QB. 

And I think Calzada coming in as a new face helps with his relationship with the coaching staff. Instead of having everything at his current school flipped on its head, like Bo did a year and a half ago, Zach is making a clean break and coming into a new situation, and he knows the coaching staff actively wanted him to be a part of the team over other prospects. I would argue that helps one to buy in to the system more easily.

To be short, I think Calzada can be better than Bo could have been here this season, and I think Bo can be better at Oregon than he would have been at Auburn. Hopefully, it works out like that, and everyone is better off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I think he's *only* a downgrade on paper, and that's not an admonishment of Bo. I hope like hell that Bo lights it up at Oregon, because to me he will always be a member of the Family, and I want to see him do well.

I also think he was best to transfer. Not because of Harsin, but because of the toxic relationship the fans have with him. I think he'll be better appreciated in Eugene, and I think all that pressure of being a legacy 5 star QB coming off will benefit him.

I also think that he and Harsin weren't quite seeing eye to eye. This isn't based upon anything other than a feel for the program, which admittedly could be off, but I don't get the feeling that Bo really bought into what Harsin is selling as far as what it takes to be the team leader at QB. 

And I think Calzada coming in as a new face helps with his relationship with the coaching staff. Instead of having everything at his current school flipped on its head, like Bo did a year and a half ago, Zach is making a clean break and coming into a new situation, and he knows the coaching staff actively wanted him to be a part of the team over other prospects. I would argue that helps one to buy in to the system more easily.

To be short, I think Calzada can be better than Bo could have been here this season, and I think Bo can be better at Oregon than he would have been at Auburn. Hopefully, it works out like that, and everyone is better off.

Agreed. Good post. Bo and Harsin are both super intense, but different types of intense. Bo is the ultra emotional wear it on your sleeve type of intense. Harsin seems to be more of the remain super composed but ultra focused intense. There's nothing wrong with either type, but I'm not sure that Harsin does well with ultra emotional guys like that. Bo was like the football teams KD Johnson, lol. Calzada seems to be a quieter and calmer personality. Hopefully it works out for all

On 5/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, GunsmithAU said:

I didn't say they would be good just that they would be better than us. 

That is not going to take too much.