2022 Softball College World Series

Texas and Florida are definitely hot at the right time. Oklahoma State has the pitching, but their offense looks anemic at times. UCLA did not look good yesterday, but I imagine they’ll turn it around today against Northwestern. Oklahoma looked very good and is the clear favorite for a reason. I see Northwestern and Oregon State as the first two teams out. 

One aspect I noticed are the guards the Oklahoma hitters wear. They have full arm protection from upper tricep to wrist. It honestly looks like they are going into battle at the plate. It doesn’t give them a hitting advantage to knowledge, but they are definitely able to take shots in the arm. There was a hit by pitch call yesterday when the ball hit a strap dangling down. By the rules, it is a HBP, but it clearly never touched the player. Very odd all around.

Sounds more like a wardrobe malfunction than a HBP.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I only watched OU for the few minutes they were behind, and didn't notice it.  Did watch most of OSU-AZ; excellent pitching performances by Bowen for AZ and Maxwell for OSU.  I still don't see anyone beating Oklahoma twice.

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Did not watch all of Thursday's games but thought the Texas catcher Iakopo was outstanding in their game vs UCLA.  She had a textbook tag at home on a throw from shallow CF. Great positioning prior to receiving the throw.  After the tag at home she jumped up and almost threw out the batter advancing to second base. Also hit 2 run HR and threw out a runner stealing 2nd.

There was a review reversal on a play that I questioned.  In top of 3rd the Texas batter (Jefferson) put down bunt on 1st base line and fielded by 3rd base who made throw to first.  because of the angle of the throw, it crossed in front of the runner as she reached 1st base and "interfered" with the 1st base player from catching the ball and it went down the line.  A runner on 2nd scored and Jefferson continued to 2nd.  After review they called runner interference, Jefferson was out and runner returned to 2nd.  Jefferson appeared to be on the 1st base line (not inside) but in any case the ball was thrown such that it crossed in front of her and resulted in the interference.  Difficult to describe.  You would have to see the replay which appears at 5:12 this video. 

Wow. That was just ball play with bad throw by the third baseman. Terrible call for runners interference

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Crazy to think how good Texas is now and we beat Texas in that opening tourney.  

Yes that it is very frustrating..... and that was before all the data was out on the young team we had. It was evident as the season went on that we did NOT make adjustments and with injuries... and once we got into the SEC play the competition we became a less than average SEC program... we finished towards the bottom once again improving by 1 spot to #10. And yes have had to deal with Myers fiasco, a pandemic, altough we did improve from last year, and yes we had a lot of injuries. I do not see us improving without changing something in the coaching philosophy area.  JMO not looking to argue ..... just venting on the ending of our 2022 season!! And at least we are NOT that other school that flopped and underachieved this season. Dumpster fire in West Alabama is what I am hearing over there ...We ended up where we were projected.... We have options... drop 2 spots in the SEC rankings or 9 spots to move up... Optimistic play is to move up... 😆 

RANT OVER!!

GO AU baseball tonight!!! War Eagle!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Did not watch all of Thursday's games but thought the Texas catcher Iakopo was outstanding in their game vs UCLA.  She had a textbook tag at home on a throw from shallow CF. Great positioning prior to receiving the throw.  After the tag at home she jumped up and almost threw out the batter advancing to second base. Also hit 2 run HR and threw out a runner stealing 2nd.

There was a review reversal on a play that I questioned.  In top of 3rd the Texas batter (Jefferson) put down bunt on 1st base line and fielded by 3rd base who made throw to first.  because of the angle of the throw, it crossed in front of the runner as she reached 1st base and "interfered" with the 1st base player from catching the ball and it went down the line.  A runner on 2nd scored and Jefferson continued to 2nd.  After review they called runner interference, Jefferson was out and runner returned to 2nd.  Jefferson appeared to be on the 1st base line (not inside) but in any case the ball was thrown such that it crossed in front of her and resulted in the interference.  Difficult to describe.  You would have to see the replay which appears at 5:12 this video. 

I also disagreed with the call on Jefferson. That play is one of the many reasons that a safety bag is need in college softball.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Sounds more like a wardrobe malfunction than a HBP.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I only watched OU for the few minutes they were behind, and didn't notice it.  Did watch most of OSU-AZ; excellent pitching performances by Bowen for AZ and Maxwell for OSU.  I still don't see anyone beating Oklahoma twice.

I was watching and agree that it should be an equipment malfunction but they ruled it HBP......this needs to be addressed.  Due to the circumstances at the time with bases loaded it gave Oklahoma a run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warladytigers said:

I was watching and agree that it should be an equipment malfunction but they ruled it HBP......this needs to be addressed.  Due to the circumstances at the time with bases loaded it gave Oklahoma a run. 

I saw that also and could not believe the ruling.  Could you have a "strap" 12 inches wide and 2 feet long hanging down?  

• Like 2

How about a "sliding glove" that extends maybe 12 inches beyond the finger tips.  Some appear to go at least a couple of inches presently.  

• Like 1

Florida gets defeated via run rule by UCLA in bottom of 6th.  Don't recall when I have seen the Gators look so flat.  Fielding errors, multiple walks surrendered (7), and hitters could not adjust to the change up by the UCLA pitcher (No hitter).  Three unearned runs.  

Dang... seeing the AU baseball field complex on TV compared to softball.... cannot believe there is NOT an uproar over the difference in facilities..... it's like rec fields and Turner Field.....

Edited by AU1947

5 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Florida gets defeated via run rule by UCLA in bottom of 6th.  Don't recall when I have seen the Gators look so flat.  Fielding errors, multiple walks surrendered (7), and hitters could not adjust to the change up by the UCLA pitcher (No hitter).  Three unearned runs.  

Florida overachieved to be there IMO this year. They weren't all that impressive all year but got hot late. 

1 hour ago, AU1947 said:

Dang... seeing the AU baseball field complex on TV compared to softball.... cannot believe there is NOT an uproar over the difference in facilities..... it's like rec fields and Turner Field.....

We need to get back deep into the postseason.  When we were making our runs into supers etc, we added the upper bleachers.  We just need to finish strong more consistently imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

We need to get back deep into the postseason.  When we were making our runs into supers etc, we added the upper bleachers.  We just need to finish strong more consistently imo

Precisely my point.... So is performance relavant? Or does it appear to be a Title IX issue? 

Baseball... 23 baseball appearances, 6 of which we won the Regionals, and 5 times to the World Series.

And AU Softball has 17 post season appearances, 3 Super Regionals with  2 WCWS appearances... 

And I didn't see metal bleachers on the broadcast for Baseball like the aluminum additions that were made to softball..... 

UCLA leading Oklahoma 5-3 in the 6th inning.  Evidently since 2005 World Series format, Oklahoma is 1-11 when trailing after 5 innings in the WCWS. Crazy for a dominant as they have been. 

So UCLA won the game 7-3 only to be crushed by OU 15-0 in 5 innings in the elimination game.  Wow. 

Edited by AUBwins

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

So UCLA won the game 7-3 only to be crushed by OU 15-0 in 5 innings in the elimination game.  Wow. 

Ran out of pitchers I assume

• Like 1

When Oklahoma did not start their best pitcher in game 1 with UCLA I wondered if Coach Gasso was banking on game 2 and make UCLA expose their pitching staff.  She held her top pitcher out of that crazy game 2 with Auburn at 2016 WCWS with the game tied at the end of 7.  She did pitch Paige Parker in games 1 and 3 which they won by 1 run.  UCLA needed to win two games today but Oklahoma needed only a single victory.  I am sure Oklahoma  would have been happy to win the first game but this gave them a chance to basically "scout" the best pitchers from UCLA while holding their best for game two.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

When Oklahoma did not start their best pitcher in game 1 with UCLA I wondered if Coach Gasso was banking on game 2 and make UCLA expose their pitching staff.  She held her top pitcher out of that crazy game 2 with Auburn at 2016 WCWS with the game tied at the end of 7.  She did pitch Paige Parker in games 1 and 3 which they won by 1 run.  UCLA needed to win two games today but Oklahoma needed only a single victory.  I am sure Oklahoma  would have been happy to win the first game but this gave them a chance to basically "scout" the best pitchers from UCLA while holding their best for game two.  

Fully believe you are correct.  Resting Paige in game2 against us won that series and I feared as much when Gasso did it. We still almost came through but Paige was more like 80%instead of 50 to 60%if she pitched game 2.

I was pulling for the underdog and got put in my place quickly in game 1 via run rule.  Longhorns gave slightly better account of themselves in game 2 but still appears obvious that it is Oklahoma vs the rest of the world.  Texas appeared to lose their composure.  Easy to see how they could be intimidated.  For the combined series Oklahoma had 26 runs to 6 for Texas, 29 hits to 9 for Texas and committed 1 error vs 6 for Texas. Oklahoma hit 8 HR in the two games.  Both are supposed to join the SEC I believe in 2025.  

24 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I was pulling for the underdog and got put in my place quickly in game 1 via run rule.  Longhorns gave slightly better account of themselves in game 2 but still appears obvious that it is Oklahoma vs the rest of the world.  Texas appeared to lose their composure.  Easy to see how they could be intimidated.  For the combined series Oklahoma had 26 runs to 6 for Texas, 29 hits to 9 for Texas and committed 1 error vs 6 for Texas. Oklahoma hit 8 HR in the two games.  Both are supposed to join the SEC I believe in 2025.  

This Oklahoma team has to be up there with one of the all time greats nearly 60 wins and 2 or 3 losses.  Pitching, hitting, coaching etc. They had it all. Yes I forgot that the full world series participantes are SEC bound soon. Crazy. 

Something I intended to mention about the Oklahoma hitters.  On some of the "replays" of home runs, they seem to keep their  eye on the ball and track it to the bat, at the bat and as it leaves the bat. Seems that I see a lot of hitters pull their head up and off the ball but not so with Oklahoma. Some of the balls they launched were too much over the plate but others appeared to be good pitches that the batter was able engage and overpower. Their hitting stats support their skill and selectivity.  

• Like 1