Hosting Regional

Tigers set to host UCLA, Florida State, Southeastern Louisiana in Auburn Regional

Baseball: Selection Show Watch Party

AUBURN, Ala. – One day after earning an NCAA Tournament regional host site for the first time since 2010, Auburn learned Monday that the Tigers will welcome UCLA, Florida State and Southeastern Louisiana to the Plains this weekend.

"I think about every person, every ballplayer who's put on an Auburn uniform, I think about our fans stepping up to the plate," Auburn coach Butch Thompson said. "These are opportunities to reward our players, alumni, fan base and everybody who cares about our program. These are moments and opportunities you want to take full advantage of. It's what you get out of bed for every single day."

The regional appearance is the Tigers 23rd all-time, including the fourth under Thompson. Auburn is 48-33 in regional play, including 8-2 under the seventh-year head coach.

Auburn earned the No. 14 national seed. The Auburn Regional is paired with the Corvallis (Oregon) Regional, which No. 3 national seed Oregon State will host. The regional winners will advance to next week's super regional.

"We've been a very consistent baseball team," Thompson said. "Our team, for those 10 consecutive SEC weeks where you play the best amateur baseball in the world, we did not get swept, we've never lost more than two games (consecutively), and we went 11-0 in the midweek against teams in our state and didn't duck it and went on the road. It's awesome to see that rewarded."

The top-seed in the regional, Auburn (37-19) will take on No. 4 seed Southeastern Louisiana (30-29) Friday at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN+. Also included in the field are No. 2 UCLA (38-22) and No. 3 Florida State (33-23), which will play Friday at 11 a.m. CT on ESPN2.

"It's a great feeling," senior pitcher Carson Skipper said. "There's nothing like playing here in front of these fans. The comfort of being home is a feeling unmatched."

"It's something you dream of when you're a little kid, coming to college baseball, going to play in Omaha," said senior shortstop Brody Moore. "This year to have it start right here in Auburn is something special."

Below is some information on the three teams traveling to Plainsman Park for the Auburn Regional.

auburntigers.com/news/2022/5/30/baseball-something-special-tigers-set-to-host-ucla-florida-state-southeastern-louisiana-in-auburn-regional.aspx

• Like 3
  • Love 4

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced the 16 regional sites for the 75th annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows:

• Auburn, Alabama – Auburn (37-19)
  • Austin, Texas – Texas (42-18) *through games of 5/28
  • Blacksburg, Virginia – Virginia Tech (41-12)
  • Chapel Hill, North Carolina – North Carolina (38-19)
  • College Park, Maryland – Maryland (45-12)
  • College Station, Texas – Texas A&M (37-18)
  • Coral Gables, Florida – Miami (FL) (39-18)
  • Corvallis, Oregon – Oregon State (44-14) *through games of 5/28
  • Gainesville, Florida – Florida (39-22)
  • Greenville, North Carolina – East Carolina (42-18)
  • Hattiesburg, Mississippi – Southern Mississippi (43-16)
  • Knoxville, Tennessee – Tennessee (53-7)
  • Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (38-18-1)
  • Stanford, California – Stanford (40-14) *through games of 5/28
  • Statesboro, Georgia – Georgia Southern (40-18)
  • Stillwater, Oklahoma – Oklahoma State (39-20)

By being awarded a regional, all 16 host institutions have also been selected to the 64-team championship field.

Each regional field features four teams, playing in a double-elimination format. All 16 regionals are scheduled to be conducted from Friday, June 3 to Monday, June 6 (if necessary).

CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT TRACKER: Every automatic qualifier for the NCAA tournament

Texas leads all institutions in the field as the Longhorns are hosting for the 29th time while Georgia Southern and Maryland are hosting for the first time.

Miami (Florida) is second among this year’s hosts, hosting for the 28th time but the first since time since 2016. Stanford is hosting for the 20th time.

Florida is hosting for the 18th time, Oklahoma State is hosting for the 14th time, North Carolina and Texas A&M are both hosting for the 12th time.

Five institutions, East Carolina, Florida, Stanford, Tennessee, and Texas, all hosted in 2021.

The full 64 team field, top-16 national seeds, first-round regional pairings and site assignments will be announced at Noon (ET), Monday, May 30. The one-hour program will be shown live on ESPN2. The committee will set the entire 64-team bracket through both the super regionals and the first round of the Men’s College World Series and will not reseed the field after play begins.

Selection of the eight super regional hosts will be announced on www.NCAA.com/mcws, Tuesday, June 7 at approximately 8 a.m. (ET).

There are 31 Division I Conferences which will receive an automatic berth in the field of 64, along with 33 at-large selections. The Men’s College World Series begins play Friday, June 17, at Charles Schwab Field Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska.

OTHER REGIONAL SITE SELECTION INFORMATION

CONFERENCENO. OF SITESSITES

SEC (4) Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M

ACC (4) Louisville, Miami (FL), North Carolina, Virginia Tech

Big 12 (2) Oklahoma State, Texas

Pac-12 (2) Oregon State, Stanford

AAC (1) East Carolina

Big Ten (1) Maryland

Conference USA (1) Southern Mississippi

Sun Belt (1) Georgia Southern

• Love 2

Can't complain about that at all. Thought the last month might tank us but our resume is still strong. 

That ESPN goober was quick to dismiss Auburn today during the championship game. He said that Auburn wouldn't be hosting a regional in such a condescending way.......like it was ridiculous to even bring up Auburn as  possibility. So glad to prove him wrong.

Let's Go Tigers!! I may be the only one.....but I believe in this team.They will give it all they've got.

• Like 7

I just want to say that if the season had stopped around the MTSU/Ole Miss Series like the 2020 season, not many of us would have expected to host and a good bit expected us to not make a regional. Not calling anyone out in particular because I didn't expect us to host after those two series either and thought making a regional would be tough work as well. Shows how resilient our team has been this year.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So FSU finally comes to Auburn for regionals. Is it me or does Auburn have a tough regional with UCLA, FSU and SE Louisiana. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

So FSU finally comes to Auburn for regionals. Is it me or does Auburn have a tough regional with UCLA, FSU and SE Louisiana. 

You're not wrong. It's a tough regional.

• Like 1

It's a tough regional but that's what we were gonna get if we were gonna host. I have no problems with that. Southeastern is no joke as a four seed. Gritty veteran squad that has played a lot of ball together and puts pressure on you. LSU blew them out earlier this year, but I'd expect a battle 

33 minutes ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Looking at the brackets......we have the tougest regional.  What else is new.....

I'm happy to see Alabama State in the tournament. I said back when we played them that they are a solid team. Their coach is a very good one. I'm also happy that they aren't in our bracket.....lol. That game was a bit of a nail biter. 

I do wish ASU was in a better bracket so they could make a little run but I hope they can give TN a few stings. 

I disagree with Ole Miss being in and Kentucky being left out. But the bammers are done while Auburn is hosting a regional....NICE!!!!

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Besides Mullins and Hall.....is Auburn sill healthy? 

Think so belle. Know like most teams and according to Butch this team needed a break and rest. Certainly played the part well end of season. Hopefully early exit from the tourney turns out as a benefit. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm not sure which one of those teams worries me the most......

All of us old geezers learned to hate everything FSU in the 80’s. When we played them here in football they would start piling into town on Thursday afternoon. That obnoxious war chant would stay in my head for days.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Hosting Regional
2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Tyler Drabick is out for the year. But he wasn't really a contributor to the team. Also Garrett Wade too.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Thanks 1

Well.....I am PISSED. Auburn's game on Friday night is on espn+ which is a pay site. I have all the other espn channels but that one. I really hate espn so much. 

https://www.on3.com/news/ncaa-releases-baseball-game-times-tv-designations-schedule-opening-games-regionals-college-world-series-cws/?fbclid=IwAR0hMzz2f1vWvIE68AAgRGiYPXmQOGqc0rm_AiAoA8Q5QI6n4PITVKHS3m8

Edited by Tigerbelle
added link

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Is there a good way to get tickets for Friday? Athletic site I guess?

Stub hub has a few tickets still left for our game.    They are pricy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I've seen reports that Cole Foster will be back in the lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I've seen reports that Cole Foster will be back in the lineup. 

Good. We need him back badly. Seems like our struggles really kicked in when he got injured. Good defender and great pop

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, au302 said:

Good. We need him back badly. Seems like our struggles really kicked in when he got injured. Good defender and great pop

Agree.  We were 2-3 in SEC games following his injury.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Is there a good way to get tickets for Friday? Athletic site I guess?

Best bet may be a tournament Tiger Terrace book. Told today only $75

• Like 1