Big Cat Weekend is Back

toddc

Big Cat back and set for late July

2 hours ago

Auburn’s premier recruiting event is all set for its second year under Bryan Harsin. Big Cat Weekend is currently scheduled for July 30, with “a lot” of invites expected to go out to top targets in the area to the 2023 and 2024 recruiting classes, a source told Auburn Undercover.

The annual recruiting event has been a staple of Auburn’s recruiting since it started in 2009 under Gene Chizik and has been held every year except 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions and an extended dead period.

Harsin and his staff opted to bring back the event last July after the one year hiatus and it proved to be successful. Six of Auburn’s signees attended last year’s Big Cat, including running back Damari Alston who committed to Auburn during the event. Auburn also brought in some top in-state talent in the Class of 2023, including current Auburn commit Bradyn Joiner.

Now the event is back for its second year under Harsin and co., with a similar plan to hosting it. Usually the event is less about football and more about building a relationship with the recruits and their families, playing games and participating in other non-football activities during Big Cat. 

Expected to host over 20 official visitors in the month of June, Auburn will look to build a busy month of on-campus recruiting and camp season into a large Big Cat event at the end of July. Following the last set of official visitors, college football goes into a recruiting dead period starting on June 27 and ending on July 24. Shortly thereafter, Auburn will host Big Cat.

Invitations should start going out over the month of June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Big Cat has always been big for Auburn. Hopefully we can use it to get some players off the fence and get them to commit. If we can get a few solid commits before, during, and right after Big Cat then start out strong in our 1st 5 games we could have a really good 2023 class.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 7:11 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Big Cat has always been big for Auburn. Hopefully we can use it to get some players off the fence and get them to commit. If we can get a few solid commits before, during, and right after Big Cat then start out strong in our 1st 5 games we could have a really good 2023 class.

I agree. I do think that getting kids on campus is the biggest recruiter of all. All for anyway to get kids on campus, and Big Cat weekend has done well at doing that. 

Slightly off topic (but related)- when does the new Football facility open its doors?

I know the BCW is mostly not football related, but I cannot help but think of what an impact that place will make on a recruits decision.

1 hour ago, TJRanger175 said:

Slightly off topic (but related)- when does the new Football facility open its doors?

I know the BCW is mostly not football related, but I cannot help but think of what an impact that place will make on a recruits decision.

It was supposed to be this summer, but apparently it is delayed due to various supply chain issues everyone is facing

• Like 1

I think I have read September time frame. Supply Chain Issues is affecting building all across the company.  I have a friend who is a general contractor who says when he quotes a job with a time frame included he has to put an addendum saying time frame is based on being able to get material that is needed on time and that he is not responsible if material is delayed.  He has been in business about 30 years and this is first time he has ever had to do that.

• Like 1