Coach Butch Thompson

That's awesome. Love it. No excuses or happy to be here or any of that typical talk that we see a lot of about the baseball program. Coach wants to win, and expects to win, because he's a winner and because he believes in the players. 

• Like 2

I love hearing that so much.  Heck of a coach right there. 

Butch is just an incredible guy. It doesn’t stop at his coaching, he is just an incredible guy in every aspect of his life. I have an upcoming 9th grader that is a P/1st and I pray that he gets an opportunity to play for this staff at Auburn. I sure hope Auburn realizes what they have in him and will do anything they can to keep him, just like Bruce.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUfan3333 said:

Butch is just an incredible guy. It doesn’t stop at his coaching, he is just an incredible guy in every aspect of his life. I have an upcoming 9th grader that is a P/1st and I pray that he gets an opportunity to play for this staff at Auburn. I sure hope Auburn realizes what they have in him and will do anything they can to keep him, just like Bruce.

Not to be harsh on Butch or his staff because it's not his fault, but it's impressive what Butch has done despite no lottery or recent program success compared to other SEC schools since he's been here. He's done more with less, and remember MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Tennessee and Georgia can offer in-state tuition to Alabama residents or better. Meaning Auburn can get beaten with their offers if one of those schools like said recruit. And despite that, we've had great success with the program.

I mean Alabama's recruited better in the last classes since Bohannon's been there with 4 top 10 classes and they've only made one regional. Luckily Butch has a couple top 10 classes coming in the next two years if all goes well coming up soon, so hopefully things will continue to go well.

Edited by warbiscuit

10 hours ago, AUfan3333 said:

He is a great guy. Will come in corner market and if you want to talk baseball he will talk baseball

• Like 1
  • Love 1

He's the guy! Auburn needs to do what it can to make him happy. 

• Like 1

That’s how I want all our coaches to teach!  We don’t want to just get there we want we want to get there and get it done!    

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, au302 said:

That's awesome. Love it. No excuses or happy to be here or any of that typical talk that we see a lot of about the baseball program. Coach wants to win, and expects to win, because he's a winner and because he believes in the players. 

I agree. I know fans can talk differently, but after the TN series many on here seemed to be happy that we almost won 2 out of 3. All I could think was I hope the staff isn't thinking that way but chewing them out because we didn't take two out of three.

• Like 1

No more "Two and a Barbeque". Classic. You tell'em coach! It was surreal watching Auburn totally dominate and destroy a pair of historic programs. One after the other. This was different. The entire weekend was a mismatch from start to finish. And if they played again? Same result. Weird. Did I just say that? Coach BT was having a real hard time hiding his excitement about where this team is. As if he senses something great is about to happen. The light bulb, so to speak, may have come on for this team.

Edited by slyinsocal

On 6/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, slyinsocal said:

No more "Two and a Barbeque". Classic. You tell'em coach! It was surreal watching Auburn totally dominate and destroy a pair of historic programs. One after the other. This was different. The entire weekend was a mismatch from start to finish. And if they played again? Same result. Weird. Did I just say that? Coach BT was having a real hard time hiding his excitement about where this team is. As if he senses something great is about to happen. The light bulb, so to speak, may have come on for this team.

I am trying not to be overly confident but man this team played great in all aspects of the game this past weekend.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 12:13 AM, warbiscuit said:

Not to be harsh on Butch or his staff because it's not his fault, but it's impressive what Butch has done despite no lottery or recent program success compared to other SEC schools since he's been here. He's done more with less, and remember MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, Tennessee and Georgia can offer in-state tuition to Alabama residents or better. Meaning Auburn can get beaten with their offers if one of those schools like said recruit. And despite that, we've had great success with the program.

I mean Alabama's recruited better in the last classes since Bohannon's been there with 4 top 10 classes and they've only made one regional. Luckily Butch has a couple top 10 classes coming in the next two years if all goes well coming up soon, so hopefully things will continue to go well.

Can Auburn not offer in state tuition, even on partial scholarships?  I understand the dynamic with the lottery and with Vandy.  I just wasn't aware that AU couldn't even waive the out of state fees.  That is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Can Auburn not offer in state tuition, even on partial scholarships?  I understand the dynamic with the lottery and with Vandy.  I just wasn't aware that AU couldn't even waive the out of state fees.  That is ridiculous.

I don't think so for out of state kids. 

17 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I don't think so for out of state kids. 

You are correct.  That should be changed.  As many disadvantages as there are that we cannot do much about, that is one we could do something about immediately.  Ms State, Ole Miss, uga, TN and others do waive those fees. 

• Like 2

I know this was posted by an MSU baseball fan account who has had lots of experience with Butch at MSU, but it's nice to see Butch getting credit as one of the top tier coaches in college baseball by other fan bases(OSU was really complimentary as well). Heck the comments in that post by MSU fans say they still wish they hired Butch after the Cannizaro controversy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

So good and so classy. Compare him to that jerk at Tennessee. Hope he sticks around for a lonnnggggg time.

Butch reminds me a lot of Bruce in that he absolutely loves Auburn. You can see it and hear it in any interview he has. It would take a monumental eff up from Auburn to get him to leave, IMO.

• Like 2

“Big 3” sports most universities. We are proven in having great coaches in two of those. We need to insure that we keep Butch. If that includes expansion and updates to Plainsman Park let’s do it. Various  concepts are in place.

This program is so well coached. Proven by the way we made Omaha. Lights out offensive in the regional. Pitching and outstanding defense in the super regional. This team has won in multiple ways and great plays look routine every time they take the field. 

Anticipating happy things from us in Omaha. FYI and my understanding. Team back in Auburn tonight at 10:00. Reverse Tiger Walk tomorrow and headed to Omaha at 1:00. Enough time to wash a few cloth’s and get a little sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Butch reminds me a lot of Bruce in that he absolutely loves Auburn. You can see it and hear it in any interview he has. It would take a monumental eff up from Auburn to get him to leave, IMO.

I think it's funny and cool that the two have completely opposite approaches, yet produce similar results. Bruce is the animated salesman who will recruit top of the top and create enormous energy by selling the heck out of his program and connecting with fans. His guys aren't quite Tennessee baseball level because they aren't throwing middle fingers, but they play with a chip on their shoulder, and Bruce is the most animated coach in the league.

Butch on the other hand is a quiet guy who is elite at developing talent. He may not be the advertiser Bruce is, and he may not recruit the top of the top like Bruce does, yet he gets even better results. If Butch gets NIL to get top 5 classes and gets more energy from the fans, which I think is coming after this year, we will take it up yet another notch. Preseason top 10, expected to host yearly, etc. But the contrast between the two shows that all styles can work. We are beyond lucky to have both

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

May be in the best position with coaches on campus that love the school since Pat Dye Hal Baird were here together.

Edited by SaltyTiger