Super Regional Thread

Well crap. Now I have mixed house. My wife is an Oregon St. grad and loves Auburn. But she will be pulling for the Beavs and I will for sure be pulling for my Tigers.

I was hoping we got the Super Regional in Auburn so we could go but alas we came close as OSU beat Vandy by one stinking run. Corvallis is a neat place and pretty campus, much like Auburn. They are rarely competitive in football or basketball but have been in baseball for awhile. The fans are nice and they will treat Auburn well. It will be cool and likely misting rain a lot. Different environment for our guys and I'm nor sure what effect that will have on us, especially our pitchers.

The plus side is that our players will get to see some of Oregon. It has a lot of pretty scenery and is nice to visit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Turf could take some getting used to. I guess practice in the indoor performance center before leaving would suffice. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs. Oregon St.

Weather forecast for games at OSU this weekend. Looks like temps in the 50s at game times with possibility of showers. I wonder if the cool temps will limit the number of pitches our pitchers will be allowed by our coaches.

Corvallis, OR 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

• Thanks 1

The all turf fields are so strange to me. Only dirt on the pitcher's mound. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The all turf fields are so strange to me. Only dirt on the pitcher's mound. 

Not sure what you mean by all turf. It looks ordinary to me.

6 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Weather forecast for games at OSU this weekend. Looks like temps in the 50s at game times with possibility of showers. I wonder if the cool temps will limit the number of pitches our pitchers will be allowed by our coaches.

Corvallis, OR 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

I don't like it, and rooted hard for Vandy because I didn't want to play out there. A cold drizzle isn't our normal baseball situation. My sister is in Oregon and I already had some idea of what it can be like there.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't like it, and rooted hard for Vandy because I didn't want to play out there. A cold drizzle isn't our normal baseball situation. My sister is in Oregon and I already had some idea of what it can be like there.

Do not like it one bit. Traveling myself this week and have not seen anything or talked to anyone about teams travel plans. Know team schedules will be adjusted to somewhat get acclimated to later start times. Curious if we went on out to try and adjust to weather conditions. Info appreciated.

• Like 1

Auburn is not totally inexperienced with these types of weather conditions. This is like Auburn, AL weather in Feb,, March and occasionally early April. They have played in the cold and the mist before now. Is it ideal?  No.  

Hopefully they are headed there now to make the time adjustment. I think that may be mitigated somewhat by the late nights in the Regional.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Auburn is not totally inexperienced with these types of weather conditions. This is like Auburn, AL weather in Feb,, March and occasionally early April. They have played in the cold and the mist before now. Is it ideal?  No.  

Hopefully they are headed there now to make the time adjustment. I think that may be mitigated somewhat by the late nights in the Regional.

You are right Belle, however, cold rainy baseball stinks imo.

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are right Belle, however, cold rainy baseball stinks imo.

Yes it does! But so does very hot and humid baseball.

I really think it'll be a wash. They'll wear long sleeves and drink hot chocolate....lol   It might take a little more time to warm up but our players have been through a lot and I am hoping they lean on their experience and resiliency.

This may come back to bite me on the butt, but I haven't been impressed with the PAC-12 teams' brand of baseball. I saw a lot of UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State and small squibs of others. They don't seem to play the game, particularly in the field, as well as  teams from other conferences.

Agreed, that was an impression from a small sample but that's how it appeared to me. Lets hope that continues!

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This may come back to bite me on the butt, but I haven't been impressed with the PAC-12 teams' brand of baseball. I saw a lot of UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State and small squibs of others. They don't seem to play the game, particularly in the field, as well as  teams from other conferences.

Agreed, that was an impression from a small sample but that's how it appeared to me. Lets hope that continues!

I hope you are right but historically west coast teams have been good in baseball.

ESPN/ESPN2 coverage of the Super Regionals is just crazy IMHO. Arky and NC are on this morning in the East so why not have them later and AU vs. OSU earlier?

• Like 2

Game time weather tonight in Corvalis is 64deg with slight chance of rain and low wind. A little cooler tomorrow night at 55 deg.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, mustache eagle said:

I just read the 247 article about their pitching … good grief … they appear to have a few ridiculous arms.

I'm hoping great pitching from the PAC 12 is not equal to great offense from the SEC.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 1:54 PM, mustache eagle said:

I just read the 247 article about their pitching … good grief … they appear to have a few ridiculous arms.

Their stats across the board are ridiculous.  I watched the Vandy game and I believe 7 in lineup were over .320.   ERA is dang good but the weather and denser air helps pitchers anyway.  I don’t want to get ahead of myself but Vandy made it seem as though those numbers are a little inflated.  Their RPI is really good just not sure the difference between #14 & #3 is all that great.  Especially considering the PAC 12 isn’t the SEC.  

All that said, I’ve watched baseball non-stop since yesterday.  I’m thankful to be in supers and can’t wait for this game to start.  It’s like an all day music festival of good music building to your favorite band at the end.  War Eagle, let’s get it!   

• Like 3

• augolf1716 changed the title to Baseball vs. Oregon St. Official Game Thread
9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

This is the game thread i will not be able to do play by play.............

WDE lets win this first game

Being quite frank you stink at play by play…..stick to doing color😊

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, mustache eagle said:

Thankfully we’re not up against Herpes in the opener. He is nasty 

HR Sonny D!  Would love to get on the board big early in the game