2023 Recruiting Class Prediction....

W.E.D

2023 Recruiting Class Prediction....  

53 members have voted

1. 1. 2023 Recruiting Class Prediction....

• Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 15
    • Top 20
    • Bad

What is everyone thinking?  We're do we end up?

It will be a total recruiting failure if AU doesn't finish in the top 10 with level of talent in-state, especially at the DL position.

I'll be shocked if it's top 10. Here's an example. Kelton Smith is a 4 star IOL that we have been linked to. But instead we are going after 3 star Mcelderry, who we are in a literal dog fight with UGA to flip him from there. Smith seems to barely get talk from anywhere, despite his high ranking.

Same thing with QB. We probably could have gotten 11th ranked Rickie Collins Jr out of BR or 12th ranked Avery Johnson from Kansas (4 stars), but instead Harsin has decided that Brock Glenn, 20th ranked, is the guy he wants. But honestly all I really care about is if we get 5-6 quality OL. Nothing else matters in this class if we don't.

Just off our name only we should be able to get a top 20 class. I think it’ll be somewhere around 15. Hopefully the class is filled with quality OL

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'll be shocked if it's top 10. Here's an example. Kelton Smith is a 4 star IOL that we have been linked to. But instead we are going after 3 star Mcelderry, who we are in a literal dog fight with UGA to flip him from there. Smith seems to barely get talk from anywhere, despite his high ranking.

Same thing with QB. We probably could have gotten 11th ranked Rickie Collins Jr out of BR or 12th ranked Avery Johnson from Kansas (4 stars), but instead Harsin has decided that Brock Glenn, 20th ranked, is the guy he wants. But honestly all I really care about is if we get 5-6 quality OL. Nothing else matters in this class if we don't.

Sometimes the fit matters more than stars... For example Bo Nix was a 5 * and the top dual threat, but not a fit for what Harsin wants. Gernier was a 3 * at one time. Justin Fields was also a 3 * initially

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Just off our name only we should be able to get a top 20 class. I think it’ll be somewhere around 15. Hopefully the class is filled with quality OL

I agree with this premise.  That's essentially where we were last year and I'm not sure we see a huge jump from that stop this year.  I think we'll end up about the same

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

If AU finishes 5-7 as many predict, we'll have to look way, way up to see top 20.

Gus's disaster of a class was salvaged by our current mediocre staff and was a spot or two away from top 20.

5-7 Harsin fired, there is enough talent and Auburn recruits it's self to get close enough.  Doing near nothing on the trail and Auburn will almost always end up in the top 25. There is too much talent in the SE and not enough places to go.

• Haha 1

I think top 15 assuming we don't completely tank on the field. Even if Hars and staff find a way to have a great season 3 losses or less (I don't expect it but can hope) we might get a little better than top 15 but not a lot as a good season helps more with the following year but a bad season can tank the current years recruits.

Top 15. It would take a phenomenal season to sneak into the top 10. Consider the teams that are likely to finish above us and it's hard to argue that Auburn should finish higher.

Last year's top 10:

1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. Texas*
  6. Penn State
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Michigan
  10. Clemson

Who in that group should we really be out performing if you consider NIL money, facilities, recent success, consistency, head coach stability, etc. ?

We are capable of doing so I just want to paint the picture accurately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Top 15. It would take a phenomenal season to sneak into the top 10. Consider the teams that are likely to finish above us and it's hard to argue that Auburn should finish higher.

Last year's top 10:

1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. Texas*
  6. Penn State
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Oklahoma
  9. Michigan
  10. Clemson

Who in that group should we really be out performing if you consider NIL money, facilities, recent success, consistency, head coach stability, etc. ?

We are capable of doing so I just want to paint the picture accurately. 

I don't think Clemson is going to recruit at the same level moving forward. We will see their recruiting drop coming hard and fast.  1) Committing to an ACC program, even Clemson, is like committing  to a G5 school.   The exposure and competition is going to continue to decline.  2)Also, people forget that Clemson is a relatively small school and does not have a lot of deep-pocketed boosters.  They are going to have a hard time staying competitive in this new era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GT2AU said:

I don't think Clemson is going to recruit at the same level moving forward. We will see their recruiting drop coming hard and fast.  1) Committing to an ACC program, even Clemson, is like committing  to a G5 school.   The exposure and competition is going to continue to decline.  2)Also, people forget that Clemson is a relatively small school and does not have a lot of deep-pocketed boosters.  They are going to have a hard time staying competitive in this new era.

I was thinking the same thing.

1 hour ago, GT2AU said:

The 2023 recruiting class is starting to shape up well for them.

Taking this thread a little further I could see our class looking something like this:

1. 3* QB Brock Glenn (I expect him to get his 4th star in the next round of recruiting ranking updates)
  2. 4* RB Jeremiah Cobb
  3. 4* WR Karmello English
  4. 4* WR/ATH Khai Prean
  5. 4* TE Jelani Thurman
  6. 4* OT Stanton Ramil
  7. 3* OT Ian Geffrad
  8. 4* IOL DJ Chester
  9. 4* IOL Ryqueze McElderry (currently committed to UGA)
  10. 3* IOL Bradyn Joiner (committed to Auburn)
  11. 4* ER Keldrick Faulk
  12. 4* DL Rueben Bain
  13. 3* DL Joshua Horton
  14. 4* LB Jaiden Ausberry
  15. 4* LB Lewis Carter
  16. 4* CB Ethan Nation
  17. 4* S Terrance Love (committed to Auburn)
  18. 4* S DaKaari Nelson

We will likely look to add another DL, another RB, another LB, another WR, another ER, CB, and maybe a second TE as well.

With the transfer rules changing we should be able to come really close to using all 25 spots on high school or JuCo kids.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Gus's disaster of a class was salvaged by our current mediocre staff and was a spot or two away from top 20.

That's a HOOT! On what planet? There were four 4* players in that class. Gus signed three of them. More were committed to AU but left after Gus was fired and Harsin couldn't hold them. The day before Gus was fired, the class ranking was higher than it was after Harsin finished with his February signing day. 

Do you just throw stuff out there and hope nobody will notice that it's all BS?

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's a HOOT! On what planet? There were four 4* players in that class. Gus signed three of them. More were committed to AU but left after Gus was fired and Harsin couldn't hold them. The day before Gus was fired, the class ranking was higher than it was after Harsin finished with his February signing day. 

What site are you going off of? 247 had 6 in that class. 3 (Brooks, Dawson, and Robinson) are still here. The 3 that left were scooped up by UCF (Hunter), Georgia Tech (Harvey), and Alabama State (D. Davis). Is the proof not in the pudding? Hunter and Davis were our two class headliners. If they were as good as advertised, then why didn't they get scooped up by other SEC schools, or power 5 minimum?

The only one you may could have a point on is losing Armoni Goodwin and rolling with Jarquez Hunter. I know there's posters that are upset on that. While I personally think it's crazy, I can understand arguments that Goodwin has a higher ceiling 

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

The 2023 recruiting class is starting to shape up well for them.

Taking this thread a little further I could see our class looking something like this:

1. 3* QB Brock Glenn (I expect him to get his 4th star in the next round of recruiting ranking updates)
  2. 4* RB Jeremiah Cobb
  3. 4* WR Karmello English
  4. 4* WR/ATH Khai Prean
  5. 4* TE Jelani Thurman
  6. 4* OT Stanton Ramil
  7. 3* OT Ian Geffrad
  8. 4* IOL DJ Chester
  9. 4* IOL Ryqueze McElderry (currently committed to UGA)
  10. 3* IOL Bradyn Joiner (committed to Auburn)
  11. 4* ER Keldrick Faulk
  12. 4* DL Rueben Bain
  13. 3* DL Joshua Horton
  14. 4* LB Jaiden Ausberry
  15. 4* LB Lewis Carter
  16. 4* CB Ethan Nation
  17. 4* S Terrance Love (committed to Auburn)
  18. 4* S DaKaari Nelson

We will likely look to add another DL, another RB, another LB, another WR, another ER, CB, and maybe a second TE as well.

With the transfer rules changing we should be able to come really close to using all 25 spots on high school or JuCo kids.

If we pull in that class, we might well finish in the top 10. Since Glenn is now a 4 star in the Composite rankings, that would give us fifteen 4 stars and three 3 stars, plus whoever else we add. Last year, Oklahoma finished 8th with fifteen 4 stars and six 3 stars. And the highest ranked 4 star was only like #93 nationally, so it's not like they had several really high 4 stars, either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

You conveniently leave out the Portal players. Leota and Harris as examples. The Portal last year I'd how Harsin improved the class.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

1 4* kid decommitted after Gus was fired.  Jaeden Roberts ranked 254.  1 3* decommit that was ranked in the 500s

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/season/2021-football/decommits/

We added #77 Brooks, which probably had drastically more points than those two combined. 
We added Colby Smith 3 or 4* depending on site.
Added 3* Joko Willis
Added 3* Jaquez Hunter
Added 3* Armani Diamond after Gus was fired
Added 3* Ian Mathews after Gus was Fired
Added 3* Ro Torrence

We signed our highest rated player and added drastically more kids than decommits after Gus was fired on 12/13.  Unless you can show me a screen shot ranking on 12/13 higher than 18th I think you're 100% wrong.  There are sites documenting kids who decommitted, as linked above

Edited by W.E.D

9 hours ago, au302 said:

What site are you going off of? 247 had 6 in that class.

Rivals https://auburn.rivals.com/commitments/football/2021 The discussion is about class ranking.  

The discussion is about class rankings and who they signed with. What they did or didn't do after they got to AU is another matter.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You conveniently leave out the Portal players. Leota and Harris as examples. The Portal last year I'd how Harsin improved the class.

The portal was not part of that guys fraudulent claim.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We signed our highest rated player and added drastically more kids than decommits after Gus was fired on 12/13.

Blah, blah. The class was more highly ranked before Gus was fired than after. Of course more players were added. DUH! There was another signing period. Screen shot? No, I'm going from memory, so it's possible that some of the kids I'm calling decommits were only heavy leans. That still doesn't matter. Your idea that the class ranking improved after Harsin took over is bogus.

Edited by Mikey

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Blah, blah. The class was more highly ranked before Gus was fired than after.

100% wrong.  The day he was fired on 12/13 we lost 1 lowly rated 4* and 1 lowly rated 3*.  We added a highly rated top 100 4* and 6 3* players. 

It's false. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm going from memory, so it's possible that some of the kids I'm calling decommits were only heavy leans.

This is called making s*** up to fit your argument when I gave you a direct list of who decommitted.  How could heavy leans fit into a ranking?  the ranking you are sure of was hirer when Gus was fired?

You're wrong

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

How could heavy leans fit into a ranking? 

They don't. You need to pay more attention to what others are writing.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They don't.

Exactly, hence...

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

The day before Gus was fired, the class ranking was higher

being....

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is called making s*** up to fit your argument

You're the one claiming the class was ranked higher.  Downvote me all you want as you back away form your argument

• Facepalm 1

Was the class not hovering around the 40's when Gus was fired?  Then Harsin with tremendous help from Mason pulled it up to the 20's.

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Was the class not hovering around the 40's when Gus was fired?  Then Harsin with tremendous help from Mason pulled it up to the 20's.

Yes.  But there are these mythical rankings Mike uses and applies uncommitted leans in order to be correct.  You're not calculating those.

• Haha 2

One major point I want to make is that class ranking now that the portal is a major component is not always an accurate measure. We finished up around 18th in HS signings but because of the quality of the players we added in Portal our class is better then that ranking based on how important those players were last year based on their actual performance which is even more important then ranking.  The Portal is a two edged sword as we also lost some players. We had some key pickups that actually impacted how the team performed last year.

These are some that got significant PT last year

Fair, Harris Leota, Kaufman, Knighten, Finley 

We lost some players also to Portal as that re-enforces my point class ranking without taking Portal into consideration is not very accurate.  We have to start looking at things differently.  With Portal you have to look both what you gained and what you lost and it is not so much numbers gained or lost as to impact on the field. Some players lost on Portal are processed players some could be key pieces and hurt. Usually players brought in from Portal are immediate needs or depth pieces so have a good chance of being on the field year they arrive or the next year.