Meet the New Tigers: 4* RB Damari Alston

Zeek

https://barningknight.substack.com/p/meet-the-new-tigers-4-rb-damari-alston?r=bcms0&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Let me know what you think!

Will Damari have an instant impact? How many yards do you think he goes for? Will he be able to pass Hunter as RB1 next season?

Let's discuss!Damari1.jpg

• Thanks 1

As usual a great write-up.  He has the potential to being a more explosive back then Hunter but not as physical as Hunter. I can see him being the 3rd down back in passing situations similar to Worm last year.  I hope we use Tank wisely giving him enough carries to have a good season but not so much as to wear him out. I really want to see a good rotation with Tank getting the most carries but being fresh in the 4th quarter where a lot of games are won or lost.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As usual a great write-up.  He has the potential to being a more explosive back then Hunter but not as physical as Hunter. I can see him being the 3rd down back in passing situations similar to Worm last year.  I hope we use Tank wisely giving him enough carries to have a good season but not so much as to wear him out. I really want to see a good rotation with Tank getting the most carries but being fresh in the 4th quarter where a lot of games are won or lost.

Agreed about Tank. I think last year he was trying too hard at times to break a big run or carry the load. 

Would love to see a healthy rotation of all four and then late in the game let Tank take over when defenses are worn down. Just don't pigeon hole players. For example, if Alston is a good receiver he shouldn't always/only be used as such. Then defenses know what is coming when he subs in to the game.

Everyone needs to do everything. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm curious to see how he feels out. He is a little on the light side and doesn't have game-breaking speed. I could see him getting 5-6 carries/catches a game this season and then next year being a 10-15 carry a game type of back. The good news is, hopefully we don't have to have a guy carry it 25-30 times a game anymore. Hopefully we keep the cupboard stocked and can properly rotate guys with the likes of UGA and Turds. I believe he is a good complimentary piece to Hunter and Tank. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed about Tank. I think last year he was trying too hard at times to break a big run or carry the load. 

Would love to see a healthy rotation of all four and then late in the game let Tank take over when defenses are worn down. Just don't pigeon hole players. For example, if Alston is a good receiver he shouldn't always/only be used as such. Then defenses know what is coming when he subs in to the game.

Everyone needs to do everything. 

Yeah one of the reasons everyone was ready to see Gus leave was because of him pigeonholing guys so defenses knew what was coming, just for Harsin and Bobo to come in and start pigeonholing their RB’s specifically Worm.

Tank should probably have a few less carries this year and few more catches just to keep defenses honest.

But going back to Alston it’ll be interesting how he gets used especially since he’s got 2 good RB’s in front of him they might strongly consider playing him in only 4 games depending how the season goes and how Sean Jackson plays 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah one of the reasons everyone was ready to see Gus leave was because of him pigeonholing guys so defenses knew what was coming, just for Harsin and Bobo to come in and start pigeonholing their RB’s specifically Worm.

Tank should probably have a few less carries this year and few more catches just to keep defenses honest.

But going back to Alston it’ll be interesting how he gets used especially since he’s got 2 good RB’s in front of him they might strongly consider playing him in only 4 games depending how the season goes and how Sean Jackson plays 

I would love to see a 1200/500/250 performance by our three backs. Hopefully we can blow out some opponents allowing Alston to get reps.

My gripe with both of our two recent staffs is the lack of utilizing the 4 game redshirt rule.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I would love to see a 1200/500/250 performance by our three backs. Hopefully we can blow out some opponents allowing Alston to get reps.

My gripe with both of our two recent staffs is the lack of utilizing the 4 game redshirt rule.

Or completely botching it ala Asa Martin. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

Since Tank will probably leave after this year. The assumption is that Hunter and Alston would be competing for RB1 next year. To be ready for that he needs some PT against tougher teams.  So my preference is that in addition to hopefully blowout games where he gets significant PT he also gets some PT  in tougher games and we don't Redshirt him. Now if he only plays in 5 games total and limited carries in those like Alston I would be upset on wasting a Redshirt year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

Will Damari have an instant impact?

Hard to say for sure with two good ones already in the backfield, but I think so.

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

How many yards do you think he goes for?

I'm going to say 250 rushing and 250 receiving.

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

Will he be able to pass Hunter as RB1 next season?

Not unless he improves his pass blocking...and probably not even if he does, but that would make it a possibility.

Nice writeup, as usual. I'm rather fond of the pros and cons section you put into each article.

• Like 2

I look at this guy as an all-purpose back rather than our next RB1, and that's totally fine. Think Clyde Edwards-Helaire for LSU. Not saying Alston ends up half the player Clyde was, but you can do everything with a guy like that. Well rounded. I don't see the burst yet that Jarquez has, but I think he'll improve that in our strength program and become more physical.

For next year, I can see us grabbing a portal bell cow RB in January to pair with Hunter depending on if they think either Cobb or even Alston have improved enough to pair with Hunter. We need two RB's this class, and unfortunately, Caddy doesn't seem to have a Richard Young 5 star lined up like we hoped he would. Cobb is a beast, but the hope is one more I believe 

• Like 3

What's the deal on Jordon Ingram? Is he just a permanent backup or will he ever compete for a spot in the rotation? Haven't really heard anything about except when he transferred in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The assumption is that Hunter and Alston would be competing for RB1 next year.

I think a starting RB is going to be pretty high on next off seasons portal needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

What's the deal on Jordon Ingram? Is he just a permanent backup or will he ever compete for a spot in the rotation? Haven't really heard anything about except when he transferred in.

Seemed to run really tall and didn't look too explosive or elusive in the spring game

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

He seems like the one dude they brought in last year that everyone seemed to think was solely brought in as emergency depth, rather than to compete for instant playing time 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I think he will be an Onterrio McCalebb type of back. We need that. 

19 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I think he will be an Onterrio McCalebb type of back. We need that. 

OMac was speed, more speed and a sideline hunter.  is alston known to have that type of elite speed?  idk, asking...