January 6th Committee Hearings

AUDynasty

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, it was because they didn’t trust the Dems to do the right thing.

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

It could also mean that they were afraid of being brought in under false charges for a political dog and pony show in which even if you are innocent you still lose. 

Okay.

I'm not trying to convince you guys because there's nothing that needs to be persuaded. 

In these hearings, every individual who was brought in -- elected official and appointed member of the Trump administration -- every single of them (except for nonpartisan officials) are Republicans.

Why would they all "work together" with Democrats to create this? You guys know the answer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Okay.

I'm not trying to convince you guys because there's nothing that needs to be persuaded. 

In these hearings, every individual who was brought in -- elected official and appointed member of the Trump administration -- every single of them (except for nonpartisan officials) are Republicans.

Why would they all "work together" with Democrats to create this? You guys know the answer.

I actually haven’t really kept up with the hearings at all.  If there is legitimate evidence of a crime, charge them and let justice run its course.  If there isn’t, move along.  The issue to me is the complete garbage and onslaught of pure political garbage during the entire Trump presidency.   The “little boy cried wolf” too many times and I’ve lost interest.  

From what I’ve seen thus far, there isn’t adequate evidence to charge Trump.  

Between the nonstop garbage during his administration, and the complete abandonment of the same “justice system “ during the Clinton administration and ignoring the Biden issue has caused me to dismiss the entire system.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GoAU said:

I actually haven’t really kept up with the hearings at all.  If there is legitimate evidence of a crime, charge them and let justice run its course.  If there isn’t, move along.  The issue to me is the complete garbage and onslaught of pure political garbage during the entire Trump presidency.   The “little boy cried wolf” too many times and I’ve lost interest.  

Between the nonstop garbage during his administration, and the complete abandonment of the same “justice system “ during the Clinton administration and ignoring the Biden issue has caused me to dismiss the entire system.  

You and me agree on this part. It's up to Department of Justice. I'd be very interested if charges are going to happen with the conclusion of Jan. 6th hearings.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GoAU said:

Trump's behavior has been abhorrent for a very long time.  This isn't a silly crusade, like the Behghazi hearings or even the Clinton impeachment.  This is a fact finding proceeding that has presented person after person after person from the inner circle of the Trump administration that has testified to the same thing.  Donald Trump wanted to subvert the constitution in order to maintain power.  That cannot be shrugged off or ignored.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The committee has done a good job exposing all of the tentacles of this attempt to overturn democracy.

The intimidation of the VP

The continuous (and false) claims of fraud

The intimidation of state officials

The conspiracy to replace electors

And perhaps the most damning, the attempt to takeover and utilize the DOJ

IMHO, the real significance is this:  If the Republican party no longer believes in democracy, then democracy is already dead.   And IMHO, this has been cultivated for years beginning with right-wing pundits calling democracy, "mob rule".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This whole thing just shows how horrible our political system politicians have become. D.C. needs an enema. 

Edited by autigeremt

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

This whole thing just shows how horrible our political system politician has become. D.C. needs an enema. 

As long as the money flows through the system, they will be.

• Like 2

I hope the committee hasn’t completely dispersed - there have been an awful lot of seditious and inflammatory comments made by politicians in the last 24 hours that are absolutely calls to violence, to break the law, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Should the court, the government, the law not reflect the majority of the population?  Is the sanctity of the system the law itself or, equal justice for all?

No, it shouldn’t.   The role of the Supreme Court has absolutely nothing to do with trying to interpret the will of the people.   It is purely to ensure the constitutionality of laws - that’s it.  

Even RGB knew Roe was on very shaky legal grounds (if that).  The Dems knew this and have had 50 years to codify it and prevent this and haven’t.  That’s who has failed the “will of the people”.  

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:59 PM, GoAU said:

I actually haven’t really kept up with the hearings at all....

...From what I’ve seen thus far, there isn’t adequate evidence to charge Trump. 

You don't see the problem here?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I hope the committee hasn’t completely dispersed - there have been an awful lot of seditious and inflammatory comments made by politicians in the last 24 hours that are absolutely calls to violence, to break the law, etc.  

For example....?

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:58 AM, GoAU said:

Even RGB knew Roe was on very shaky legal grounds (if that).  The Dems knew this and have had 50 years to codify it and prevent this and haven’t.  That’s who has failed the “will of the people”.  

What BS.

Roe was not based on "shaky legal grounds".  It is based on the individuals right to privacy concerning their own body. 

And RBG preferred an "equal rights" logic to support the right to abortion. But both are legally and constitutionally valid.

And Democrats didn't "codify" the right to an abortion because there was no need to.  It became established law with the Roe decision.  (But you can be sure they will be working on it now at both the state and federal levels.)

Edited by homersapien

20 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

As long as the money flows through the system, they will be.

Along with practices such a gerrymandering which is designed to eliminate any realistic political challenges.

Current politicians don't need to respond to constituents varying views.

Hell, they are even rewarded for outrageous behavior:

The “Post-Truth” Era

… How is— you’ve said that in some ways that Palin was a harbinger for Trump in the way that he tied into the forgotten, who were blind to his or their unfitness. How—what was she? What do we—and I know you don’t like connecting the dots specifically, but how—what can we understand about from Palin to Trump, what happened there and how they differed in a way and how he was a lot more savvy and understood some of the needs and had talents that were to take him a lot further.

She was profoundly incompetent. But it represents a cultural moment that I think is defined most clearly by Joe Wilson, the congressman from South Carolina, during a State of the Union who shouts “You lie!” to the president of the United States on national television. Not too many years before, he would have resigned in disgrace from the Congress, and he would have been called upon to do so by leaders of both parties.

Instead, what happened? He raised a couple million dollars overnight. So if you’re some poor schlub congressman who’s schlepping over to the National Republican Congressional Committee to dial for dollars, 500 bucks at a pop, what’s the lesson there? Behaviors that are incentivized and rewarded, you get more of them. So there’s no longer a punishment for dishonesty, for craziness. It’s rewarded in our political system.

The statesmen and -women, and we don’t have a lot of them, but as a general proposition, the one place you won’t see them is on a cable news channel. You see the inciters. The crazier you are—and there’s no place that’s more home to more crazy than Fox News. And so Fox became the driver of the Republican Party. The political party that used to be covered by TV networks instead became an appendage of the TV network. The politicians became seamlessly integrated between the contributor desk and the campaign trail. Politics became entertainment where anything could be true, any lie could be reality. And the serious business, the life-and-death issues that political leaders face in a dangerous world, were unceremoniously removed from discussion because they’re boring and they don’t drive ratings.

And the danger of that is?

It’s a threat to American democracy. What Lincoln understood is that what would threaten this country would come from within, not from an external threat. A democratic republic—and we’re the oldest in the world—depends on an informed citizen; it depends on truth. Without truth, there can’t be accountability, and without accountability, you don’t have a functioning, healthy democracy. And all over the world, not just in the United States, you see a regression of democracies fueled by a social-media world where truth has been obliterated.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/interview/steve-schmidt/

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:08 AM, icanthearyou said:

These people are more partisan than patriotic, more ignorant than idealistic.

However, they do represent a growing discontent.  Those roughly 400 people who control our economy and government should take note.

The people who rushed the capital weren’t doing it because they’re somehow being screwed by the government. They did it because they’re mindless sheep and their Shepard told them the election was stolen.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 2:42 PM, autigeremt said:

This whole thing just shows how horrible our political system politicians have become. D.C. needs an enema. 

Are you both sidesing the Jan 6th insurrection?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:44 PM, SLAG-91 said:

They are selected by the voters...

by state.

We are a republic of (ostensibly) united states.

I know my suggestion splits the baby and will almost certainly never happen...it's what Maine and Nebraska do with one of their congressional districts, but amplified.

I just don't have a problem with the electoral college as a concept. Others do. We'll agree to disagree and go on our merry ways. 

If 2/3 of states want to change how it's done, a convention of states can be called and get to the business of amending the Constitution. That would actually be some history I'd like to see happen...talk about needing some popcorn. If the process gets changed that way, then our system has worked as intended. 

The electoral college is how the minority party that doesn’t even represent the interests of 99% of the country gets elected. It’s a ridiculous system. We should have a national popular vote. If the Republicans can’t win like that, they should do a better job of appealing the the 99%, not just the 38% of Americans who are duped by Fox News every night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Her testimony is devastating. 

Downright explosive. This is bigger than Watergate itself. Rumblings have it this hearing was called last-minute because the committee got a word that Hutchinson's safety may be in danger, so they wanted to get this out to the public before anything could happen to Hutchinson.

This is the nail in the coffin for Trump. If the DOJ doesn’t take the information they have been given and charge Trump’s a**, then the system is too far gone for redemption.

Side note: I’d love to be a fly on the wall to see Trumps reaction to her testimony.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is the nail in the coffin for Trump. If the DOJ doesn’t take the information they have been given and charge Trump’s a**, then the system is too far gone for redemption.

Side note: I’d love to be a fly on the wall to see Trumps reaction to her testimony.

Agreed. It's right there for the DOJ. Merrick Garland has to make the call. If he doesn't, then the next coup is inevitable... if there's still elections by then.