Zach C putting in work

AuCivilEng1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No college kid develops and gets better.  That's the argument?

Zierer had zero college experience, he'll limited football experience. Now he has some. I think Trox will be better at RT if he can stay healthy. Stutts transforming his body and developing or Wright getting healthy and starting over Council shouldn't be difficult to get better play.

I was under the impression Council was the best lineman on the team? I mean, I realize that may not be saying a whole lot, but...

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Even if we did have 3 new starters how can we expect improvement when they couldn’t beat out mediocre starters last year?

Also, if we have 3 new starters this year, that means that 2 returning starters got beaten out, because 4 of last year's starters are back this year, I believe.

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I was under the impression Council was the best lineman on the team? I mean, I realize that may not be saying a whole lot, but...

Jones is by far our best OL.  Council was pretty bad last year. 

30 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Also, if we have 3 new starters this year, that means that 2 returning starters got beaten out, because 4 of last year's starters are back this year, I believe.

LT - Zierer (new starter)

LG - Wright or Stutts (new starter)

C - Brahms.  Don't have anyone else.  Unfortunately had offseason surgery again, so not sure he'll have a lot of weight room time.

RG - KJ.  

RT - Alec Jackson (new starter)

I don't know if they'll be good.  But it could be good news that guys are beating out other guys.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Actually, the new guys are supposed to be pretty danged good. Now, whether that's pretty danged good compared to what we had, or if it's actually pretty danged good, time will tell, but unless I'm being fed a line, the new receivers are looking stout. Three names were mentioned as standouts in the skeleton drills: Worsham, Brown, and Moore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Actually, the new guys are supposed to be pretty danged good. Now, whether that's pretty danged good compared to what we had, or if it's actually pretty danged good, time will tell, but unless I'm being fed a line, the new receivers are looking stout. Three names were mentioned as standouts in the skeleton drills: Worsham, Brown, and Moore. 

Greatly appreciate the flowing information that most of us do not have access to.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, GunsmithAU said:

At this level, most every scholarship QB is going to have above average to elite arm tallent. 

Well, compared to the rest of the world population then this would be correct. ZC has elite arm talent compared to his peers which is more telling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, compared to the rest of the world population then this would be correct. ZC has elite arm talent compared to his peers which is more telling. 

Compared to a fair number of NFL quarterbacks, ZC has elite arm talent. I'm not suggesting he's John Elway reincarnated or anything, but there is absolutely no throw in the college game that he cannot make.. if he gets his footwork down. Throwing the football properly takes your entire body, not just your arm. And right now, he's put out at least one clip of his workouts this offseason, showing off his arm strength to anyone who knows what they're looking at (I don't, I'm trusting someone else's analysis of his arm).

To put some numbers in, I believe I saw where he was throwing the ball 55 miles per hour. The highest velocity recorded at the Combine in the last decade or so is 60 mph.

Now, the velocity on his throws in this setting are optimized, when he's doing his best with footwork (or, at least, I would presume it is, because why would you put out training videos of less than your best?), so that's showing us what he has the capability to be. Whether he can maintain proper ball placement when 300 lb behemoths are bearing down on him (with a hopefully-not-too-porous OL as protection) is a different matter...but when it comes to pure arm talent, Calzada has everything he needs and then some.

• Like 2

He's completing passes close to the line of scrimmage.  Progress. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

So, I have to share a little tidbit I literally just found out: Kiesau is the coach who found Aaron Rodgers for Cal two decades ago. He went up to Butte Community College scouting a stud TE, decided he was more interested in the gunslinger (who, according to the JC coach, didn't have any offers at the time) and continued as his main recruiter through the entire process.

And he's the one who decided to primarily pursue Calzada in the portal.

That's not to say ZC is anywhere near the legend that is Aaron Rodgers. It's just an interesting side note.

*EDIT* Reading back over this, I was a little unclear; Calzada's obviously got a long, long way to go before he'd ever be mentioned in the same breath as Rodgers, but my source on the staff said they compared him to Rodgers or Brett Favre (didn't ask if anyone had a connection to him or if they were just throwing in another gunslinger type) in arm strength. So it's not like I'm really trying to downplay Calzada's skill set, it's just that I don't want to put the bar quite so high for him.

Edited by Rednilla
Clarity
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Rednilla said:

So, I have to share a little tidbit I literally just found out: Kiesau is the coach who found Aaron Rodgers for Cal two decades ago. He went up to Butte Community College scouting a stud TE, decided he was more interested in the gunslinger (who, according to the JC coach, didn't have any offers at the time) and continued as his main recruiter through the entire process.

And he's the one who decided to primarily pursue Calzada in the portal.

That's not to say ZC is anywhere near the legend that is Aaron Rodgers. It's just an interesting side note.

*EDIT* Reading back over this, I was a little unclear; Calzada's obviously got a long, long way to go before he'd ever be mentioned in the same breath as Rodgers, but my source on the staff said they compared him to Rodgers or Brett Favre (didn't ask if anyone had a connection to him or if they were just throwing in another gunslinger type) in arm strength. So it's not like I'm really trying to downplay Calzada's skill set, it's just that I don't want to put the bar quite so high for him.

Hopefully he's much less of a brick than Rodgers.

58 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

We're lucky if he's 1/2 the QB. 

Yeah, I'd take that and run.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Why does it bothers me when an innocent player gets tagged because a superstar NFL player had a "connection" to an AU coach.  i.e.  Scott "Lefty" Leoffler coached the GOAT >>>  "Tom Brady"!!! 🤢

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Oh boy…I see Ryan Tannehill. I never got an A-Rod vibe from this kid. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

The point is that Kiesau found Rodgers when nobody else did. Which speaks to his eye for QB talent. The implication is he sees similarities between Rodgers and Calzada. When Kiesau was talking with Harsin he mentioned how hard Rodgers worked on his game which is why with the arm talent and the work ethic he became really good. Apparently similar arm talent time will tell if Calzada has the same work ethic and will improve like Rogers did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The point is that Kiesau found Rodgers when nobody else did. Which speaks to his eye for QB talent. The implication is he sees similarities between Rodgers and Calzada. When Kiesau was talking with Harsin he mentioned how hard Rodgers worked on his game which is why with the arm talent and the work ethic he became really good. Apparently similar arm talent time will tell if Calzada has the same work ethic and will improve like Rogers did.

If Kiesau was such a stud QB guy, finder of talent, etc, his history would be a lot better than Rodgers 15 years ago. 

I'm done with this coach found a good player once a decade ago being used as a selling point. It hides the fact that since that singular player, the coach hasn't done anything worthwhile. 

Let's stop pretending Kiesau is anything other than an o s*** last second hire to save face. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

My question is if Caleb Williams transferred to Auburn would we need these tidbits and talking points to sell everyone on what type of Qb he is. The season can’t get here fast enough 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

If Kiesau was such a stud QB guy, finder of talent, etc, his history would be a lot better than Rodgers 15 years ago. 

I'm done with this coach found a good player once a decade ago being used as a selling point. It hides the fact that since that singular player, the coach hasn't done anything worthwhile. 

Let's stop pretending Kiesau is anything other than an o s*** last second hire to save face. 

Dang bro….who hurt you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Dang bro….who hurt you

I've been hurt by Auburn and supporting and hiring subpar coaches for the last decade leading us from the maintain top to a perennial joke. 

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Agreed. Definitely a last minute circling of the wagons hire, and I say that as someone who thinks he's likely a solid offensive mind. Better than Dilly and Chad. Not sure if he's better than Chip or Bobo. I will say that I think it's funny that of all coaches, Eric Kiesau, who gets squat on the most for his lack of recruiting, is the guy that pulled Rogers and Desean Jackson at Cal Berkley, of all schools, lol. Pretty ironic 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, au302 said:

Agreed. Definitely a last minute circling of the wagons hire, and I say that as someone who thinks he's likely a solid offensive mind. Better than Dilly and Chad. Not sure if he's better than Chip or Bobo. I will say that I think it's funny that of all coaches, Eric Kiesau, who gets squat on the most for his lack of recruiting, is the guy that pulled Rogers and Desean Jackson at Cal Berkley, of all schools, lol. Pretty ironic 

A lot of people are down on dilly, bit i think he is underrated. A hell of a recruit and being hired at Oregon by Lanning is really his 1st big test away from Norvell. 

Even if Kiesau is a slight edge in coaching/coordinator, I'll take recruit wiz Dilly over him. 

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Why does it bothers me when an innocent player gets tagged because a superstar NFL player had a "connection" to an AU coach.  i.e.  Scott "Lefty" Leoffler coached the GOAT >>>  "Tom Brady"!!! 🤢

I was very diligent to make sure people understood I was NOT suggesting he's going to be Aaron Rodgers. If you noticed, I responded to the comment about we should be happy if he's half the quarterback Rodgers has been by saying I would take that and run.

The point is not that he's definitely going to be great, it's that he has legitimate potential. Anyone who knows their physics will tell you that potential is nothing but unused energy, but the potential has to be there in order to get where we want to be.

• Like 1