Mid-June Mega Recruiting Breakdown

Zeek

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. A lot of good info in this. The only thing for me, is I did not come away feeling very good about recruiting. Sounds like a lot of back up plans are in play and A LOT of waiting on the portal and JUCO transfers that are yet to be identified.

Appreciate the work though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. When it comes the WR, English he doesn’t look that fast to me on his highlights. I still hope he commits to us but he don’t look fast to me, maybe he’s just a long strider.

As for the big time in state DB’s, I knew from the beginning we wasn’t getting any of them even after the good showing at the iron bowl I still knew. Bama has a chokehold on big time Birmingham metro guys smh

Also I really wished we could’ve got Vizzina, he’s a 5 star for a reason. Glenn doesn’t look bad but I can understand how he was plan C. He kinda reminds me of Sean White, who wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either 

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. A lot of good info in this. The only thing for me, is I did not come away feeling very good about recruiting. Sounds like a lot of back up plans are in play and A LOT of waiting on the portal and JUCO transfers that are yet to be identified.

Yeah it's still early in the process. I filled some spots where I don't have a name with JuCo/transfer assumptions. Plain and simple our staff is playing deep from behind in terms of a few positions and the portal has become a way of life. The offensive line that is leaving can't be replaced with 2023 high school players right away so if we don't want to watch a bunch of underclassmen flailing in starting spots it's going to be stop-gap guys while we build up depth.

It's not great or beautiful but it's where we are at right now. I feel pretty happy with where we are at for whatever it's worth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Thanks for the info. When it comes the WR, English he doesn’t look that fast to me on his highlights. I still hope he commits to us but he don’t look fast to me, maybe he’s just a long strider.

As for the big time in state DB’s, I knew from the beginning we wasn’t getting any of them even after the good showing at the iron bowl I still knew. Bama has a chokehold on big time Birmingham metro guys smh

Also I really wished we could’ve got Vizzina, he’s a 5 star for a reason. Glenn doesn’t look bad but I can understand how he was plan C. He kinda reminds me of Sean White, who wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either 

Some high schools are almost not worth our time recruiting because their coaches are getting kick backs to pressure kids into certain decisions. That's a long different conversation though.

Yeah I really wanted Vizzina but it's hard to argue we're a better program than Clemson in the last few years for a quarterback (barring last year) and they actually have a better sales pitch for starting sooner with DJ being trash. 

I do think Glenn has a better build than Sean White and a stronger arm. Regardless, the staff is so bought into Holden as the guy of the future so it will be fun to see how things progress.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Some high schools are almost not worth our time recruiting because their coaches are getting kick backs to pressure kids into certain decisions. That's a long different conversation though.

Yeah I really wanted Vizzina but it's hard to argue we're a better program than Clemson in the last few years for a quarterback (barring last year) and they actually have a better sales pitch for starting sooner with DJ being trash. 

I do think Glenn has a better build than Sean White and a stronger arm. Regardless, the staff is so bought into Holden as the guy of the future so it will be fun to see how things progress.

Even if Holden is the future that shouldn’t stop other QB’s from coming and competing. The spot won’t just be given to him. 

5 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Even if Holden is the future that shouldn’t stop other QB’s from coming and competing. The spot won’t just be given to him. 

I agree, meant more on our end that we're not in a position of massive need for a 2023 QB to come and save us.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, 80Tiger said:

That is actually what gave me a little more hope. In the past we went for the big fish then if we didn't, We then started to try and get a backup into play.  From what he said at some positions we look good with the big fish  at others not so good but in almost all we have quality backups some as 4*'s and other's as 3*'s with raw talent but need work. The one area that did bother me was LB.  

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yeah it's still early in the process. I filled some spots where I don't have a name with JuCo/transfer assumptions. Plain and simple our staff is playing deep from behind in terms of a few positions and the portal has become a way of life. The offensive line that is leaving can't be replaced with 2023 high school players right away so if we don't want to watch a bunch of underclassmen flailing in starting spots it's going to be stop-gap guys while we build up depth.

It's not great or beautiful but it's where we are at right now. I feel pretty happy with where we are at for whatever it's worth.

That would be a great class if all of your predictions come true. Although I still feel like we need more traction with top recruits @ OL, DL,  linebacker & WR. It's crazy to me that we don't have more Oline committed or at least visiting given the enormous amount of playing time that will soon be available. Are we not offering much in terms of NIL? or is it that current recruits do not yet have faith in our Oline coach, system & overall development process?

I'm not as worried about LBs, DL or Edge, but perhaps I should be if we don't end up signing the guys in your predictions. And any idea how much of it is NIL vs. our coaches, their lack of SEC track record, & lack of local connections?

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

That would be a great class if all of your predictions come true. Although I still feel like we need more traction with top recruits @ OL, DL,  linebacker & WR. It's crazy to me that we don't have more Oline committed or at least visiting given the enormous amount of playing time that will soon be available. Are we not offering much in terms of NIL? or is it that current recruits do not yet have faith in our Oline coach, system & overall development process?

I'm not as worried about LBs, DL or Edge, but perhaps I should be if we don't end up signing the guys in your predictions. And any idea how much of it is NIL vs. our coaches, their lack of SEC track record, & lack of local connections?

NIL is wild right now. No one can tell you how competitive Auburn is or isn't in this area. I know some of the bigger guys are really hesitant because there isn't enough guidance and structure yet. That's a whole long different conversation though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

The most recent post in the recruiting thread on Rant is quite concerning: "All this talk of good 'recruiting' coaches in the age of NIL, some of you, bless your hearts, think Anna Nicole Smith married for love dont you."

I would think that having coaches with connections to the region would greatly improve matters--why I would be happy with giving Dell a call if we need to make a change--but if it is meaningless now, then how effed are we?

Seeing the success of basketball and baseball (+ gymnastics) gives me hope that we're not trapped.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The most recent post in the recruiting thread on Rant is quite concerning: "All this talk of good 'recruiting' coaches in the age of NIL, some of you, bless your hearts, think Anna Nicole Smith married for love dont you."

I would think that having coaches with connections to the region would greatly improve matters--why I would be happy with giving Dell a call if we need to make a change--but if it is meaningless now, then how effed are we?

Seeing the success of basketball and baseball (+ gymnastics) gives me hope that we're not trapped.

We're doing fine IMO some people won't ever be positive it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Auburn Live (on3) had a live video today answering questions and here is some intel from it:

1. Lance Heard received an offer today he is a 4* OL who is absolutely excited to come visit. Goof friends with current Auburn freshman Enyce Sledge.
  2. 4* OT Ramil is taking an unofficial visit this week but Auburn is going to treat it like an official thinking it might be our last time getting him on campus before he decides. Auburn's chances aren't bad and he would be a legacy player. The Thompson HS connection is a problem as always.
  3. 4* OT Formby is out. Which I reported previously.
  4. 3* Edge - Ashley Williams is a long shot. Not sure why a fan asked about him considering his name has not been mentioned in a longgggg time and Auburn has bigger fish on the line currently.
  5. 4* LB Jaiden Ausberry - has told our staff that he is in no rush to make a decision and that he is waiting to see how the beginning of our season plays out. The demise in this regard has been incredibly over dramatic. On3 still feels optimistic for Auburn especially if he returns to AU. It's a Notre Dame vs AU battle and how we perform will be key. December commitment date.
  6. NR Jacorious Hart is a player to watch. He is 6'2" 175 runs a sub 4.4 40 and has a 4.20 GPA in Auburn's backyard. Goes to Loachapoka.
  7. People are idiotically asking about Hurley and Woods (the latter of which we didn't make the final 4 and everyone knew we wouldn't the kid come from the school that might as well be a bama feeder).
  8. They like the chances with 3* DL Josh Horton. I'm still a little curious if we really love him or if we think he helps us with the rest of the "quartet"
  9. We're running second to UGA for Jamaal Jarrett but it's not a big gap and we're narrowing it.
  10. Someone asked about Ethan Nation and Avery Stuart I literally have no idea why. They're not remotely relevant to who we are pursuing. Too many people asking questions about guys we are not pursuing. To be fair not everyone hype obsesses like some of us.
  11. On3 still feels comfortable predicting somewhere between anywhere between 5-8 in the class before the summer ends. I think that's a little conservative personally but we do have a few guys set on waiting to see results.
  12. Qua Russaw and James Smith are scheduled to make their 5th visit to Auburn. James Smith is a long shot (another guy I haven't heard too much about). They're going to be December announcements. We are in the top five for both at the very least. Russaw would be a mind blowingly huge win but I haven't seen the smoke to signify there is a fire with him.
  13. They expect Brock Glenn to announce before June 28th and Karmello English will announce July 2nd. Some weird chatting about English possibly being a last second flip to Kentucky but I would be absolutely surprised; Auburn has been the favorite for sooooo long. Conversely, they feel more confident about Glenn than I do. It is my hope and expectation that we get both.
  14. Answering who they think could be a surprise commitment, DJ Chester is one answer that two of them agreed upon. Bo Hughley is another one mentioned but it might be a later decision if he does flip. Otherwise they didn't really give any fun answers. 
  15. Tausili Akana wants to return for a game. Interesting player to track.
  16. McElderry three-star OG is committed to Georgia but Auburn might be the
  17. favorite right now. He wants a decision to be made before the end of July.
  18. 4* TE Jelani Thurman is also wanting to have a choice before the end of July
  19. 4* RB Jeremiah Cobb wants a decision before his senior season.
  20. 4* Edge - Faulk also wants a decision before his senior season.
  21. Some mumbling about receivers but they admit they really don't know.
  22. Wilky Denaud, who I mentioned previously, realllly liked his visit and now we might be a front runner. Edge rushers who are on the fence about committing might want to hop on board before we fill up at that position.
  23. 4* Edge and UGA commit Gabriel Harris has locked in an OV which is  abit of a surprise

Best quote of the video "I don't take any recruit for his word"

Nothing too surprising. We're in better spots on some guys that I thought we had gone quiet on... English is the only one I left feeling less positive about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Thanks @Zeekthat was a phenomenal breakdown. Really appreciate the time and effort you take to provide us this. Personally, I'm pretty concerned with DL. I think Brumbaugh is busting his rear end and has 100 guys interested, but 99 of them view him as their fallback. Disagree on LB. Think Woodyard is a stud and Gordon raw but high upside. I am overly confident in CRob. Any dude that takes Twill's lunch regularly on the trail has my confidence. Here is what I'm thinking Friend ideally wants in a perfect world...

I think he wants Joiner and Mcelderry for interior, Hughley and Heard at OT, and Chester as his flex guy who can play inside or out. Then he'd take best available for the 6th spot. Likely Connor Lew, or maybe Connor Stroh (highly unlikely). 

My guess is that Geffrard will be Mcelderry's backup option. We got him on ice until December, and can probably get him then. The good news is that UGA just got an OG commit, and Kelton Smith is trending their way. Telling sign??

For backup OT's, I think they push heavily for Ramil if come his decision time we don't think we have any shot at all with Heard, Isaiah Robinson, etc. and don't want to risk dragging it out. Then one of the 3 secret OT's for Hughley's backup.

JLee and them seem so confident in Chester that there may not be a backup option for him at this point. The way I see it if we miss on him we're screwed anyways, but signs are quickly pointing our way with him. Hence the fall off of communication with Clay Wedin lately and his commitment to MSU tonight. Interesting times on the OL board

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Iirc English hasn’t even taking a visit to Auburn and didn’t he announce he’s committing as soon as he was done with his Kentucky visit? That don’t look good for us if he did

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Iirc English hasn’t even taking a visit to Auburn and didn’t he announce he’s committing as soon as he was done with his Kentucky visit? That don’t look good for us if he did

Never took an Official Visit here but had been a bunch of times. Yeah the optics are weird but we'll see soon enough.

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

The Thompson HS connection is a problem as always.

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Woods (the latter of which we didn't make the final 4 and everyone knew we wouldn't the kid come from the school that might as well be a bama feeder).

Would you care to elaborate on the above problem(s)? 

If it is $ kickbacks, couldn't our recruiting department anonymously file complaints with the NCAA and the Alabama High School Sports association?

18 hours ago, AUwent said:

some of you, bless your hearts, think Anna Nicole Smith married for love dont you."

I do.  I remember how lovingly she changed out his oxygen tanks.  That is the definition of true love when I get to 90 years old. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Keldrick  Faulk 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Would you care to elaborate on the above problem(s)? 

If it is $ kickbacks, couldn't our recruiting department anonymously file complaints with the NCAA and the Alabama High School Sports association?

they could but would fall on deaf ears, even with an AU guy as the head of AHSAA.  some HS coaches just have too much updyke in them.  over the years, freeman has sent 1 guy to the Plains, Tre Threatt.  Tre was a good OLB with size but just too slow overall---he could not keep up with SEC speed and did not even do much once he transferred to Jax St.  however, he is a very nice guy and comes from good family.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

they could but would fall on deaf ears, even with an AU guy as the head of AHSAA.  some HS coaches just have too much updyke in them.  over the years, freeman has sent 1 guy to the Plains, Tre Threatt.  Tre was a good OLB with size but just too slow overall---he could not keep up with SEC speed and did not even do much once he transferred to Jax St.  however, he is a very nice guy and comes from good family.  

Some HS coaches have had too much updyke $$ (untraceable ca$h) in their pockets, new pick-up trucks, massive donations to their HS Booster Clubs, huge facility upgrades and expansions with bids clearing from updyke businesses and favorable financing from updyke backed banks, etc.  It just so happens the current crop of in-state talent is at an all time high and a ton of $$ has been thrown around in anticipation of this recruiting class. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think we're about to land:

4* QB Brock Glenn

4* WR Karmello English

Edge transfer Marcus Bragg

Over the next 2-3 weeks

I also really think we end up landing:

4* RB Jeremiah Cobb

4* OT Stanton Ramil

4* OG DJ Chester

4* TE Jelani Thurman

And a few other guys that aren't popping in my head rn

It's gonna be a good summer 

If we could get to 8 4* kids and 1-2 3* kids it would be an excellent start to the season. 

I hope we can get to around 10 by mid August. Historically that's not far off

• Like 2