the outdoor amphitheater on campus?

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Anyone know if the old outdoor amphitheater  on campus is  still around? Cant find much info online. 

if you are talking bout the one between the Theatre/Performing Arts Building and Architect Building (still can't believe I was accepted into the foundation program for architecture majors... I dropped that so fast to be pre-law, holy PTSD flashbacks batman), it was still there in 2016 when I had to play Macbeth for extra credit in an english lit class.

Just checked the satellite view on google maps and its still there, though not sure how recent that view was updated

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Didba said:

if you are talking bout the one between the Theatre/Performing Arts Building and Architect Building (still can't believe I was accepted into the foundation program for architecture majors... I dropped that so fast to be pre-law, holy PTSD flashbacks batman), it was still there in 2016 when I had to play Macbeth for extra credit in an english lit class.

Just checked the satellite view on google maps and its still there, though not sure how recent that view was updated

Thanks!!   I couldn't find it on Google Maps before,  because I could remember where it was.  Its been 35 years since I saw it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Thanks!!   I couldn't find it on Google Maps before,  because I could remember where it was.  Its been 35 years since I saw it.

Crazy as soon as I read your questions I could picture exactly where I was 95% sure it was even though I haven't stepped foot in Auburn since I left for Texas in 2016.  Albeit I spent a lot of time in that area of Campus.

16 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Anyone know if the old outdoor amphitheater  on campus is  still around? Cant find much info online. 

Still there and probably about to get a lot more use with the opening of the new classroom building that was built between the Ampitheatre  and where Allison used to be.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, GunsmithAU said:

The AUMB uses it like 2 times a year durring band camp. 

They use if before every home game to warm up as well.

• Like 1

We used to have outdoor architecture classes there regularly in the late 90’s.  That was a great tailgate spot, too, back when you could drive on any patch of grass/sidewalk on campus.  They used to have some pretty decent concerts as well…I think Kenny Wayne Sheperd and maybe even the Black Crows played there.

• Like 1

It's no longer going to be called the Graves Amphitheatre in the future as there's some negative connotations with Mr. Graves past. I'm not sure what (if any) replacement has been attained. 

• Like 1

If you liked to sit outside while looking through notes and preparing for a test, Graves Amphitheater was a pleasant, quiet place to be.

Always thought it was neat. In the eighties and after building my first house in Auburn went there to rake pine straw for landscaping. So many chicken bones in it from tailgaters had to go elsewhere.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember sitting in it and reading Orwell in my spare time. I liked to spend my time there, but often no one cleaned it up and it looked deplorable. It was a good place to write though, that's where I got inspired and got more out of it. A couple of my essays after reading another book were even published on https://writix.com/essay-examples/george-orwell for everyone to read. Now I haven't been there for a long time and I think it's worth a visit to that place.