Auburn CWS Game Thread

More proof we’re becoming an everything school. B-ball-check, baseball-check, Equestrian-check, gymnastics- check, football-oops, etc…

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Thanks guys for so great time following our baseball Tigers. Enjoyed MOST of your comments. Lol but as long as your for Auburn in the end that’s all our heart wants. 

Butch and the coaches did a hell of a job and to the players. Thank you young men for representing our school and accomplishing so much compared to the experts. 

WDE!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

To lose to Ole Piss and Arky like we did was embarrassing. Actually we should not have been there to go out as weak as that. Oh all this BS about being picked last in the SEC and it was just awesome to get there is just that. If you can’t even compete with your own conference foes then don’t go. OSU probably hits better against piss and Arky.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 4
  • Dislike 7

Great season but wish we gave a better account of ourselves at the big boy table. As said earlier, we’ve made obvious strides but need a little juice to get to the next elite level. Here’s hoping Butch gets what he needs to keep this thing going and go just a little bit more. Helluva job by Butch and the whole staff, exceptionally memorable year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU85 said:

Did Butch sound like he was considering retirement in the post game interview?

Unfortunately there is no rest for the weary. The west is loaded. As great as this was, there are still 3 SEC West schools playing. And that's with State and LSU transitioning. They'll be back soon. We're losing guys and have some dead weight on the bench. Gotta turn around and get to work again. Good thing he's already got some portal commits 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Great season but wish we gave a better account of ourselves at the big boy table. As said earlier, we’ve made obvious strides but need a little juice to get to the next elite level. Here’s hoping Butch gets what he needs to keep this thing going and go just a little bit more. Helluva job by Butch and the whole staff, exceptionally memorable year. 

Lottery scholarships would help immensely.  I don't think a lot of folks realize how much not having those puts us behind the 8-ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SurfingTiger said:

To lose to Ole Piss and Arky like we did was embarrassing. Actually we should not have been there to go out as weak as that. Oh all this BS about being picked last in the SEC and it was just awesome to get there is just that. If you can’t even compete with your own conference foes then don’t go. OSU probably hits better against piss and Arky.

🤡

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Lottery scholarships would help immensely.  I don't think a lot of folks realize how much not having those puts us behind the 8-ball.

That handicap ends soon. The NCAA is going to lift the scholarship limits in partial scholarship sports. That’s going to happen just a matter of when. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SurfingTiger said:

Who pissed in your wheaties.... we're the king of Pac 12

• Like 8

Despite the naysayers I could not be prouder of this team. They worked hard and over-achieved. Yes we are behind other schools in the SEC but that is because they have had extra scholarships and money we don't have and yet we still made it to the big dance.

We have talent but very few elite players. The Arkansas team has elite players their infield is nasty defensively with great range I saw great defensive plays from their third baseman, shortstop, and second baseman that type of defense helps a pitcher tremendously. 

With our coaching staff and an even playing field recruiting we can go all the way. I do hope we are allowed more baseball scholarships but while I hear there is talk about it I am not sure how they can do it with the requirement that woman's sports have as many scholarships as men's. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Fantastic season.  Enjoyable group of players to support.  We beat great teams to get as far as we did.  Unfortunately we were 2-7 against 3 of the final 5 and 2-1 against Ta&m.  We’ve shown we can beat anyone but just didn’t have it consistently at the end.

btw … props to the team for going 3-3 while batting below 200.

looking forward to seeing how the off-season goes and prepping for 2023.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Congratulations to the team on an outstanding year! 

Reading through this thread reminds me why I don’t visit here as much as I used to.

I can relate....

Auburn had a fabulous season, and the post season the Tigers faced was more difficult than any other team. Our kids played on despite those difficulties and I am extremely proud of them, and ALL of the coaches. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Reading through this thread reminds me why I don’t visit here as much as I used to.

This thread is tame compared to 247/the Bunker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Despite the naysayers I could not be prouder of this team. They worked hard and over-achieved. Yes we are behind other schools in the SEC but that is because they have had extra scholarships and money we don't have and yet we still made it to the big dance.

We have talent but very few elite players. The Arkansas team has elite players their infield is nasty defensively with great range I saw great defensive plays from their third baseman, shortstop, and second baseman that type of defense helps a pitcher tremendously. 

With our coaching staff and an even playing field recruiting we can go all the way. I do hope we are allowed more baseball scholarships but while I hear there is talk about it I am not sure how they can do it with the requirement that woman's sports have as many scholarships as men's. 

We do but a lot of them have not developed. Larue, Hill, etc certainly look the part. Think Larue was considered an elite prospect. Because of some HS misses we are relying on the Juco and portal market heavily, which fortunately we have had success with. And I'm a huge Juco guy and called for influx after last year's supposed mental toughness issues because they are gritty and add toughness.

But as much as I love them, when 3/4 of your top hitters are from those areas you end up getting exposed by SECW schools who have landed and developed elite HS players with high MLB potential at a better clip. So the next step is to do better there. Cole Foster fits that bill, so we have to get more guys like him, and develop them. And again, not complaining, just speculating on how we take the next step to compete with OM, Arky, A&M, and yes, LSU and State too

32 minutes ago, au302 said:

We do but a lot of them have not developed. Larue, Hill, etc certainly look the part. Think Larue was considered an elite prospect. Because of some HS misses we are relying on the Juco and portal market heavily, which fortunately we have had success with. And I'm a huge Juco guy and called for influx after last year's supposed mental toughness issues because they are gritty and add toughness.

But as much as I love them, when 3/4 of your top hitters are from those areas you end up getting exposed by SECW schools who have landed and developed elite HS players with high MLB potential at a better clip. So the next step is to do better there. Cole Foster fits that bill, so we have to get more guys like him, and develop them. And again, not complaining, just speculating on how we take the next step to compete with OM, Arky, A&M, and yes, LSU and State too

Let me just explain that our 2019 recruiting class got screwed over in the 2020-2021 seasons with COVID, LaRue especially. LaRue was supposed to be Scheffler's back up in 2020 and the starter in 2021. Well COVID ruined that and with Ward, Williams and Woley back, LaRue basically sat on the bench for 2021 so he lost two years of playing time, especially important since catcher requires the most developmental time. Hill needs to improve his swing path but he had a decent freshman year. Mullins, Wade, Barnett were considered top prospects as well. Mullins has been injured every year since sophomore year of high school, so I don't know what to say there. Wade has developed the yips and arm injuries every year since he's been here. Barnett and Bright have been slow. We've gotten elite talent here but the circumstances of the last two years affected development. Foster had a great SEC season, I think we're back in the right steps of development with him but would like to see it with others too like Allsup.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Let me just explain that our 2019 recruiting class got screwed over in the 2020-2021 seasons with COVID, LaRue especially. LaRue was supposed to be Scheffler's back up in 2020 and the starter in 2021. Well COVID ruined that and with Ward, Williams and Woley back, LaRue basically sat on the bench for 2021 so he lost two years of playing time, especially important since catcher requires the most developmental time. Hill needs to improve his swing path but he had a decent freshman year. Mullins, Wade, Barnett were considered top prospects as well. Mullins has been injured every year since sophomore year of high school, so I don't know what to say there. Wade has developed the yips and arm injuries every year since he's been here. Barnett and Bright have been slow. We've gotten elite talent here but the circumstances of the last two years affected development. Foster had a great SEC season, I think we're back in the right steps of development with him but would like to see it with others too like Allsup.

I think we do a great job with the elite pitching prospects we have. Bet Barnett and Bright, if they come back, take yet another jump. Mullins is very solid, and Wade just had fate against him here unfortunately. It's mostly the lineup where we've had more misses imo. But yep, now is the time for Larue and Hill to step up. If we somehow get Ike Irish on campus.... sorry Nate. And first base is about to be wide open. If Hill can't lock it down in the fall, not sure he'll ever win it, imo

People can complain about the comments in this thread but it IS a game thread. Almost everyone, myself included, is guilty of posting split-second gut reactions rather than with the head/heart. Losing like we did is not going to spark a lot of "rah, rah, rah we're so good" comments during the game. After the game, you can see that almost everyone on here (minus one person) was damn proud and happy of this team for making it as far as we did.

Just don't come into a game thread and expect sunshine and roses.

As for me, I had a blast this season, doing what little I could to show support for this team. I am not in the financial or health position to drive to Auburn to watch games, so if I even helped 1 person then I'm happy to be here providing updates. I loved the drive and effort of the team despite being out talented by a lot of the SEC. The fact that we were one of the last 6 teams standing is a testament to Butch and this staff and the heart of the players.

War Eagle, everyone. We will be back in Omaha and get a win here again way sooner than 25 years.

P.S Give Butch whatever the hell he wants to build this program into a consistent winner just like Bruce and Basketball.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I think we do a great job with the elite pitching prospects we have. Bet Barnett and Bright, if they come back, take yet another jump. Mullins is very solid, and Wade just had fate against him here unfortunately. It's mostly the lineup where we've had more misses imo. But yep, now is the time for Larue and Hill to step up. If we somehow get Ike Irish on campus.... sorry Nate. And first base is about to be wide open. If Hill can't lock it down in the fall, not sure he'll ever win it, imo

I think we've hit on our hitting transfers than pitching transfers at least. I think 2021 just threw the newer guys like Bright, Barnett, Swilling, etc. into the fire given we had 10 pitcher injuries just in the first month of the season and they got roles they weren't quite prepared for given the 2020 season cancellation.

Wade and Mullins have me wondering how much did their high school/travel ball team over use him as Wade played CF in high school too. 

Edited by warbiscuit

4 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

This thread is tame compared to 247/the Bunker.

I’m not a member there but I’m glad it’s better here at least. Lots of great folks on this board..
The whining gets old or maybe I’m to old ...

9 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Fwiw I think some of the negativity was from folks not typically in the game threads during the heart of the season.  Folks who have been posting all season might have some “constructive criticism” from time to time but have an overwhelming positive view of what AU baseball is doing.

• Like 2