Auburn CWS Game Thread

3 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Rambusch's ICE cold slump continues with a strike out.

Doesn’t it seem that somewhere along this slump Rambo needs to be moved down in lineup hopefully to not put pressure on him and also to get someone else up there that may at least get on base before we leave Omaha? 

I don’t understand a coach keeping a lead off guy there who is not even coming close to a hit that I recall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Bello’s reads have been amazingly bad. 

Have u noticed those kind of great plays(dives,jumping at the fence..) we made in Oregon. In Omaha we are a step off and not coming up w those. I wonder if bigger field worried them or their a little tight?

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Doesn’t it seem that somewhere along this slump Rambo needs to be moved down in lineup hopefully to not put pressure on him and also to get someone else up there that may at least get on base before we leave Omaha? 

I don’t understand a coach keeping a lead off guy there who is not even coming close to a hit that I recall. 

No one is a hot hitter right now so who would take his place? If they can get by Stanford it may be just what they need to regain their mojo.

This team is feeling a lot of pressure and today it was obvious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Have u noticed those kind of great plays(dives,jumping at the fence..) we made in Oregon. In Omaha we are a step off and not coming up w those. I wonder if bigger field worried them or their a little tight?

I'd say both. 

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Today it was not about the hitters making adjustment the Ole Miss pitcher was dealing. A great slider and he was putting ball exactly where he wanted. When a pitcher is on even good hitters don't hit.

As Casey Stengel once said, and I quote..."Good pitching beats good hitting, and vice versa"!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Wow, I've been to Ole Miss for football and basketball games over 20 times and I've never experienced anything like you're saying. As a matter of fact, Ole Miss gets as much love from opposing SEC fans as any fanbase in the conference. 

I will have a second girl starting at Oxford in the fall. Love the town, wouldn’t mind settling over there (it reminds me of Auburn before Auburn started exploding and losing some of its charm), but the experience in The Grove last year was horrible. Maybe I’m just getting old and less tolerant of that stuff but the amount of alcohol consumption and level of drunkenness on display was shocking. I love a good beer or cocktail as much as the next guy but geez….

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Today it was not about the hitters making adjustment the Ole Miss pitcher was dealing. A great slider and he was putting ball exactly where he wanted. When a pitcher is on even good hitters don't hit.

DeLucia pitched a great game no doubt. But man we made it easier on him than it should have been. I bet we took 20 first pitch strikes, a lot of them very hittable pitches (or at least good enough to have a go at). Didn’t seem to adjust our approach at the plate at all. Oh well…I’m proud of the Tigers and what they’ve accomplished so far. Really hoping they can put a good performance together against Stanford, win or lose. Still crazy to me that the OM fans were (maybe still are?) wanting to run Bianco off

7 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

No one is a hot hitter right now so who would take his place? If they can get by Stanford it may be just what they need to regain their mojo.

This team is feeling a lot of pressure and today it was obvious. 

Not saying you're incorrect but why are they feeling pressure? It's not like they are favorites to win this thing. I don't get underdogs feeling pressure but maybe I'm In the minority. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not saying you're incorrect but why are they feeling pressure? It's not like they are favorites to win this thing. I don't get underdogs feeling pressure but maybe I'm In the minority. 

Plus if there is pressure it’s on all teams. It’s the frickin CWS for goodness sake. We played a crap game and we just aren’t a threat at the plate right now- and the offensive slide didn’t show up in Omaha, been a couple games now. 

• Like 1

These comments ... embarrassing, inexcusable...  You people have no idea how difficult it is to barrel a baseball particularly when a pitcher has good placement, movement and speed changes.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

These comments ... embarrassing, inexcusable...  You people have no idea how difficult it is to barrel a baseball particularly when a pitcher has good placement, movement and speed changes.   

But it looks soooooo easy from my recliner.  😀  See ball, hit ball.  Easy peezy!

13 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Ole Miss has been sinking into a bammer-copy cat cesspool for a while. Same type of mindset. 

Except they don’t have any rings to back up their arrogance. I live in Memphis, there‘s more Ole Miss fans here than any other school except maybe University of Memphis (which actually has a pretty rabid, but humble fan base). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Yet good hitters manage to do it with some regularity. The main thing is the batter has to be ready and willing to hit every good pitch he sees. AU watched a number of such pitches go by. The checked swings on third strikes is also concerning. If it's that close with two strikes, you've got to try to hit it.

• Like 4

Mikey, you suggest our team does not have "good hitters."  These are the same young men who scored 51 runs -- the most EVER in a 3 game regional. Six of the starting nine are hitting better than .280.  Clearly, they are good hitters.  "Ready and willing to hit every good pitch."   Really. You. Don't. Think. These.Young.Men.Were.Willing.To.Hit? "You've got to try."  They were not trying?  Good heavens.  Guessing right and hunting pitches are huge parts of hitting and not hitting.   When you guess wrong or don't get the pitch you are hunting for you look foolish.   You get caught looking, check your swing,  swing and miss, you lose the ballgame.  With two strikes you are taught to look fastball and adjust.  Even that approach has you guessing fastball.   This is the hardest game ever played.  When the opposing pitcher is on his game, it is even harder.   Teams playing this late in the season have 2-3 guys that when they are on, the other team looks embarrassing.  I wish we could all be just a little bit more supportive of our guys.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I mean, the easy answer is we struggle to find them because...MSU/Arky/Ole Miss/LSU/Vandy/Tennessee exist.  CBT is given a paperclip and a lint-roller and asked to build a Tesla.  The deck is stacked against, whether it be lottery with some schools or just more of a willingness to spend on a baseball program (MSU, LSU, Arky, OM).  The team's performance the last five years is the PERFECT opportunity for the Athletic Department to change that culture...here's hoping they do because regardless of tonight and Monday, seeing Auburn baseball regularly be one of the last 8-16 teams playing baseball is fun.

NIKE is the answer!!! all the school you just mention has better gear then we do, if you don't think that matters then I got some beach front property in Arizona I will sell you for a $1.00, our uniforms look like hand me downs or low budget, look good play good. I thought it was said by BT that under armor was hurting us in recruiting.

15 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

End of season: 1 run, 3 runs, 6 runs, 1 run

End of postseason: 7 runs, 3 runs, 4 runs, 1 run

So that means we're gonna explode for back to back 19+ run games, right?

I assume that’s 100% accurate. 

I guess (hope)  Mason Barnett is twirling for Auburn tomorrow.

Stanford went through 5 relievers yesterday. I wonder if it matters since only one pitched more than one complete, plus they have a day's rest, plus it is do or die.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s easy, just making obvious takes on what the problem may be and lack of adjustment. I think it’s fair to say we are in a bit of a slump and these comments are what happens on a fan message board. It’s literally the reason everyone comes to this site. WDE. 

• Like 3

It’s pretty amazing to sit back and look at the winners’ bracket. Not one nationally seeded team on either side. Incredible.

TAMU looks like the first seeded team to get a win at this CWS, and they’re bouncing one of the two betting favorites. Hopefully, we do the same tomorrow. They looked awful Game 1 so that should be encouraging. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Yes actually some of us do. Nowhere does your expert critique discuss Auburn's curious lack of situational plate protection by batters during the last couple games. Watch our batters when we had 2 on late against OM. Either a poor situational batting plan as the count changed, several missed batting signals by batters or (and I seriously doubt this) batters ignoring what they were told to do in that situation.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Mikey, you suggest our team does not have "good hitters."  These are the same young men who scored 51 runs -- the most EVER in a 3 game regional. Six of the starting nine are hitting better than .280.  Clearly, they are good hitters.  "Ready and willing to hit every good pitch."   Really. You. Don't. Think. These.Young.Men.Were.Willing.To.Hit? "You've got to try."  They were not trying?  Good heavens.  Guessing right and hunting pitches are huge parts of hitting and not hitting.   When you guess wrong or don't get the pitch you are hunting for you look foolish.   You get caught looking, check your swing,  swing and miss, you lose the ballgame.  With two strikes you are taught to look fastball and adjust.  Even that approach has you guessing fastball.   This is the hardest game ever played.  When the opposing pitcher is on his game, it is even harder.   Teams playing this late in the season have 2-3 guys that when they are on, the other team looks embarrassing.  I wish we could all be just a little bit more supportive of our guys.

The Ol' Miss pitcher went 7 2/3 innings with 10 K's and 0 (that's zero) walks. At some point, at least by the third inning, we should have recognized that he wasn't going to have control problems. Starting in the 3rd, we should have been looking for pitches to hit instead of pitches to take.

And yes, with 30+ years around the game of baseball as a player, coach and manager, I have a fairly decent idea of what it takes to hit the ball.

I've been supportive of our baseball team, even in years when most posters ignored the baseball forum. I'm supportive right now. Pointing out that the team that scored 51 runs in the regional wasn't taking 1st pitches as a matter of course is not being against the team. It is pointing that our thinking changed between then and now.

How did Ol' Miss get their lead anyway? By hitting the first pitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've been supportive of our baseball team, even in years when most posters ignored the baseball forum. I'm supportive right now. Pointing out that the team that scored 51 runs in the regional wasn't taking 1st pitches as a matter of course is not being against the team. It is pointing that our thinking changed between then and now.

and support isn't all attaboys and shake it offs. No one ever got better being patted on the back. Sometimes a kick in the butt is the answer. Their pitcher was on for sure but if the batter doesn't swing the bat, it just makes him that much better. When you need runs in the late innings you can't keep taking pitches because you don't like what's coming. Even when he was down 3-0 he came back and got the out. He certainly wasn't going to walk anyone yesterday. They just need to go out there tomorrow and have fun playing and not overthink any of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The Ol' Miss pitcher went 7 2/3 innings with 10 K's and 0 (that's zero) walks. At some point, at least by the third inning, we should have recognized that he wasn't going to have control problems. Starting in the 3rd, we should have been looking for pitches to hit instead of pitches to take.

And yes, with 30+ years around the game of baseball as a player, coach and manager, I have a fairly decent idea of what it takes to hit the ball.

I mean, I guess some hit first pitches. Elko did. Harris jumped Skip’s first pitch. Alderman’s RBI in the first came on a 2-2 count. McCants’ RBI in the sixth came on a 1-1. 

I took less issue with our first pitch approach than I did with our undisciplined zone after the first pitch. Waaaaaay too many guys swinging at the fastball at their collarbone. Then, we started diving for sliders late. I bet we had more swinging strikes on balls outside the strike zone than any game in the last two months. Maybe the entire season. The problem with that is that the ump gradually expanded his zone because we kept reinforcing that all these pitches are close when they were 8-10 inches off the plate or high. When hitters are that liberally umps get influenced too.

I hope we shorten up and establish a better zone in the next one. That’ll give us a chance at the plate. This park will give up a HR, but it rewards teams that can string good ABs together more than power teams. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It doesn't bother me if you question approach, but your post seemed to question their willingness and desire.  Maybe I misread what you intended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I mean, I guess some hit first pitches. Elko did. Harris jumped Skip’s first pitch. Alderman’s RBI in the first came on a 2-2 count. McCants’ RBI in the sixth came on a 1-1. 

I took less issue with our first pitch approach than I did with our undisciplined zone after the first pitch. Waaaaaay too many guys swinging at the fastball at their collarbone. Then, we started diving for sliders late. I bet we had more swinging strikes on balls outside the strike zone than any game in the last two months. Maybe the entire season. The problem with that is that the ump gradually expanded his zone because we kept reinforcing that all these pitches are close when they were 8-10 inches off the plate or high. When hitters are that liberally umps get influenced too.

I hope we shorten up and establish a better zone in the next one. That’ll give us a chance at the plate. This park will give up a HR, but it rewards teams that can string good ABs together more than power teams. 

I think I read somewhere(if it’s true) that every one of our batters took first pitch. 

and I totally agree that our hitters I feel panicked deeper into the game and started being way to undisciplined in their zones and counts. I saw guys like Moore hit one around his eyebrows that never was going to be a strike and simply hit a pop up into right field. 

remeber some of the approaches at the plate in the oregOn series guys going down to one knee trying to hit a pitch so low they should have known it was never going to be a strike. 

I hope we focus better, relax and get on a hitting run. Baseball is funny about streaks.