Western Kentucky edge transfer Marcus Bragg commits to Auburn

Sizzle

i just saw this on reddit and was checking to see if it was posted. how is he ranked and all that?/will he seriously  help us?

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

Auburn is getting one more boost to its roster for this season, and it's at a major position of need. Marcus Bragg, a graduate transfer from Western Kentucky has announced his commitment to Auburn.

"Man it feels wonderful," Bragg said. "Being that this team took me in under the conditions, I just feel the love and I’m happy. Happy to be here."

Bragg played three seasons for the Hilltoppers after transferring in from Mississippi Delta Community College, becoming an important piece to the defensive line in 2021, totaling 27 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, four sacks and a forced fumble. Before Bragg even left his visit he committed to Auburn.

"I had an idea when I first got the call from Coach Roc," Bragg said. "He sounded excited to have me, he told me how bad he needed me, how bad he wanted me here."

The need for Bragg though cannot be overstated. Before landing Bragg, Auburn had just three scholarship edge rushers on the roster in Derick Hall, Eku Leota and Dylan Brooks. Hall and Leota were key pieces to Auburn's defense last year, but Brooks is a redshirt freshman without game experience. After spring practice Auburn opted to move linebacker Joko Willis over to the edge room to help alleviate some of the depth concerns, but now Bragg and Willis should help solve those issues.

Hall and Leota are expected to reprise their roles as the starting edge rushers after racking up nine and seven sacks, respectively. But the need to replace T.D. Moultry, Auburn's third edge rusher was clear. Last year Moultry had 33 tackles, 7.5  tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. Bragg could be looking at a role similar to that as he steps in at Auburn.

"He (Roc Bellantoni) just told me there’s only two people that are really playing right now and we will all rotate in and get a lot of plays, a lot of sacks," Bragg said. "It’s going to be a big year."

The 6-foot-5, 268-pound defensive end entered the transfer portal in the beginning of March, before Western Kentucky began its spring practice. 

Originally from North Miami, Florida, Bragg enrolled at Western Kentucky as a 3-star recruit from his time playing in JUCO.

7COMMENTS

Bragg is the tenth addition to Auburn's roster through the transfer portal, joining LSU wide receiver Koy Moore, Memphis defensive lineman Morris Joseph, Iowa State safety Craig McDonald, Miami wide receiver Dazalin Worsham, Oregon defensive lineman Jayson Jones, North Carolina linebacker Eugene Asante, Oregon cornerback DJ James, Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada and Oregon quarterback Robby Ashford.

Bragg is eligible immediately with one year left to play.

• Like 1

Nice depth pickup. His numbers were solid but not great with Brooks and Willis we have the depth behind out two superstars. Hoepfully Brooks lives up to his HS potential and Willis with the extra weight he put on just might be a really good edge rusher.  So far other then O-Line the Portal has helped by getting us players some who could be starters and others who can get PT and provide the depth we need at other positions.

• Like 1

Only one year of eligibility and pretty raw technically speaking. His job will likely be to rotate in and give the starters a breather without giving up anything big. Nice depth piece and a good job by the staff filling a need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i just saw this on reddit and was checking to see if it was posted. how is he ranked and all that?/will he seriously  help us?

We just need him to come in when Hall/Leota/Brooks need a breather and play sound, assignment football within Schmedding's scheme. Not expecting him to have great stats, just do his job when he's in. Is this ideal? No, we want better edge players, but better than the walk-ons we had in the two deep this spring. He'll clear out after this year so that we can take a large HS EDGE class, at least hopefully

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, au302 said:

We just need him to come in when Hall/Leota/Brooks need a breather and play sound, assignment football within Schmedding's scheme. Not expecting him to have great stats, just do his job when he's in. Is this ideal? No, we want better edge players, but better than the walk-ons we had in the two deep this spring. He'll clear out after this year so that we can take a large HS EDGE class, at least hopefully

Hopefully Brooks steps up. Our DL coach never mentioned him when he was trying to recruit Bragg to Auburn, he said there’s only 2 contributors right now (Hall, Leota) which he’s technically right since we haven’t seen Hall yet but still. Hopefully Brooks pans out because we need him to badly 

• Like 1

Weird pickup, very surprised we would invest in a 1 year guy knowing that a bunch of dudes at this position are leaving after this season

Edited by BigBlueWDE

16 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Weird pickup, very surprised we would invest in a 1 year guy knowing that a bunch of dudes are leaving after this season

Guessing its best available and not much time left to find someone.

52 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Weird pickup, very surprised we would invest in a 1 year guy knowing that a bunch of dudes at this position are leaving after this season

We need bodies athis and othr positions even if for 1 year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

They are trying to sell high school edge targets on coming in and basically taking over the room with Dylan Brooks. At this point our only options were meh players. Would rather it be a plug and play grad transfer than saddling yourself with a multi year guy whose average at best. Clear him out after this year, and bring in a big EDGE class and look to the portal in January for better EDGE transfers