"Bo sucks or Bo's wonderful" Megathread

Didba

1 hour ago, au302 said:

The problem is everyone wants to compare the two. I get it, as Nix was our QB just last year and Calzada is taking over for him, but it's sorta dumb. If anything, we should probably be comparing Calzada more to Stidham, since they seem to be more similar than Nix/Calzada. And I'm guilty of it too

Actually I think it can from if people had patience with Bo they can do the same regarding TJ. Unfortunately, the current staff don’t have that luxury. Like u said above if he does that’s really ballsy. IMO it’s ZC or bust.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, e808 said:

Actually I think it can from if people had patience with Bo they can do the same regarding TJ. Unfortunately, the current staff don’t have that luxury. Like u said above if he does that’s really ballsy. IMO it’s ZC or bust.

This is very accurate  TJ looked as bad as Bo did most of his first 3 years.  Yet on this forum and most others he's 100% written off and everyone hard fast determining he can't be our QB.

9 hours ago, e808 said:

I am really rooting for ZC or Robby to take the reigns. Robby would be my preference but I have this funny feeling it will be an uphill battle for him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This is very accurate  TJ looked as bad as Bo did most of his first 3 years.  Yet on this forum and most others he's 100% written off and everyone hard fast determining he can't be our QB.

Bo wasn’t perfect but TJ gives me Jeremy Johnson flashbacks.  If you give me TJ or Bo to make a play to win the game I’m picking Bo 10/10.  I’ll be that guy and say a healthy Bo wins the Iron Bowl.  

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am really rooting for ZC or Robby to take the reigns. Robby would be my preference but I have this funny feeling it will be an uphill battle for him. 

Apparently Robby threw it to the wrong team a lot in the Spring.  I do like his mix of athleticism 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Bo wasn’t perfect but TJ gives me Jeremy Johnson flashbacks.  If you give me TJ or Bo to make a play to win the game I’m picking Bo 10/10.  I’ll be that guy and say a healthy Bo wins the Iron Bowl.  

Perfect Example of this is the Ga State Game

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently Robby threw it to the wrong team a lot in the Spring.  I do like his mix of athleticism 

Man that sounds so odd. He seemed to do pretty well against the ones in the Spring game. I guess we will find out more pretty soon.

I'm like 99.9% certain the official depth chart before game one will be...

ZC

Tj

Robby 

HG.

No matter how much ppl claim the TrFr is pushing for #2, I'm not going to buy it. At best I could see and OR tossed in there for the 3rd spot

Also, I'm emphatic that there will not be "a package" for Ashford. It's not going to happen 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

ZC

Tj

Robby 

HG.

No matter how much ppl claim the TrFr is pushing for #2, I'm not going to buy it. At best I could see and OR tossed in there for the 3rd spot

Also, I'm emphatic that there will not be "a package" for Ashford. It's not going to happen 

I agree this will be the "official" depth chart. Let Geriner get scout snaps against our 1's. But I do buy @Rednillaon this part. If ZC goes down for an extended period, I don't see Harsin going with TJ again. Now if ZC is down for a week or two, or you need to get through a game, then he probably goes TJ to preserve Geriner's RS.

But if he goes down for an extended period, I bet he trots Geriner out there, with Ashford still having his packages, or just turn it over to Ashford period. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

ZC

Tj

Robby 

HG.

I do think Holden at least gets the #2 spot, but I am biased.

Outside of that, if we start losing big time, I could see Harsin getting desperate like Chizik did in his last year and start burning redshirts left and right to try and find some success somewhere.  That is the non-biased side of me seeing how we could see Holden coming in.

Edited by abw0004

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do think Holden at least gets the #2 spot, but I am biased.

Outside of that, if we start losing big time, I could see Harsin getting desperate like Chizik did in his last year and start burning redshirts left and right to try and find some success somewhere.  That is the non-biased side of me seeing how we could see Holden coming in.

I'm a big fan of HG, but I don't think he get's that nod.  ZC was brought in to be the starter and I think TJ is liked a lot by the staff vs ppl on a message board.

If all staff/players stay, '24 season will be really interesting with a battle between Sr TJ, RS Soph HG and Ashford will also be a RS Soph I think.

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm a big fan of HG, but I don't think he get's that nod.  ZC was brought in to be the starter and I think TJ is liked a lot by the staff vs ppl on a message board.

If all staff/players stay, '24 season will be really interesting with a battle between Sr TJ, RS Soph HG and Ashford will also be a RS Soph I think.

I dont think there is any way all 3 if those guys are on the roster in 24

• Like 3

Isn't Calzada just a sophmore?  Won't he possibly still be around in 2024?  We won't have to wait long to get answers on the QB or team in General.  SEC meetings are next month and Fall practice starts shortly after that.  A little over 2 months and we'll be playing football again.  Feels a little weird saying that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I didn’t think he threw it to the wrong team as much as TJ did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

ZC

Tj

Robby 

HG.

Oh, I'm fairly certain that will be the *official* depth chart, too. I have my doubts that it is the *real* depth chart, but we'll see if Finley is able to take a couple of steps forward this summer and become a legitimate factor in the QB competition. As it stands right now, @au302 has my stance down pretty well, although I would add that I think Ashford might have taken a slight edge over Geriner for the moment. Not that it really matters a whole lot until preseason camp starts.

As for there being "a package" for Ashford, all I can tell you is what I've heard, but I was told that is exactly what is going to happen. It's quite possible that it happens purely because it keeps a high level backup happy enough to keep from transferring again...but what I was told was that he's pretty freakish athletically. He is apparently the biggest reason that DD left: according to my source on staff, Ashford is bigger, faster, and stronger, with a better arm.

Now, who knows? Maybe this is all bluster simply meant to get fans excited. I guess we'll all see how legitimate that claim is come September.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Isn't Calzada just a sophmore?  Won't he possibly still be around in 2024?  We won't have to wait long to get answers on the QB or team in General.  SEC meetings are next month and Fall practice starts shortly after that.  A little over 2 months and we'll be playing football again.  Feels a little weird saying that.

He's a fourth year sophomore. He was in the same recruiting class as Bo Nix, he just redshirted twice.

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep. At least one of those older guys is probably gone after the year. Maybe 2/3. If that happens, we'll probably have to hit the portal again in addition to a HS QB (hopefully Glenn). TJ needs to look after himself and take extra classes to try and graduate in December. That way he can take the Nix grad transfer route and not have to sit out, if it doesn't work out for him here this year.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, I'm fairly certain that will be the *official* depth chart, too. I have my doubts that it is the *real* depth chart, but we'll see if Finley is able to take a couple of steps forward this summer and become a legitimate factor in the QB competition. As it stands right now, @au302 has my stance down pretty well, although I would add that I think Ashford might have taken a slight edge over Geriner for the moment. Not that it really matters a whole lot until preseason camp starts.

As for there being "a package" for Ashford, all I can tell you is what I've heard, but I was told that is exactly what is going to happen. It's quite possible that it happens purely because it keeps a high level backup happy enough to keep from transferring again...but what I was told was that he's pretty freakish athletically. He is apparently the biggest reason that DD left: according to my source on staff, Ashford is bigger, faster, and stronger, with a better arm.

Now, who knows? Maybe this is all bluster simply meant to get fans excited. I guess we'll all see how legitimate that claim is come September.

I know you probably can't reveal this if you know, and I'm not sure if you even know, but imo what would be interesting to know is which QB's the receivers are gravitating towards working with on the side right now and all that during these summer months. I mean I'm sure they're all throwing with them, of course, but at the end of the day I bet the receivers are gravitating towards a couple right now, as theirs only so much time. And that's also a telling factor imo

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Sadly, you're probably right. I'm just hoping 2 of the 3 are still here, though I have my doubts about that, too, because they won't be the only QBs on campus by that time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

I know you probably can't reveal this if you know, and I'm not sure if you even know, but imo what would be interesting to know is which QB's the receivers are gravitating towards working with on the side right now and all that during these summer months. I mean I'm sure they're all throwing with them, of course, but at the end of the day I bet the receivers are gravitating towards a couple right now, as theirs only so much time. And that's also a telling factor imo

If I knew that and could say anything, I would have already shared it...but the only thing I've heard with regard to player acceptance of any of the QBs is that the players do believe in Finley. Now, that was from before Spring Training, and all I've heard since suggests that TJ is being outperformed by his competition, but I've heard nothing at all about who the receivers prefer. Only thing I've heard about the receivers is that the new guys are an upgrade. I dearly hope that's not just hype.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

Bo was a highly rated QB out of HS who was and is a good athlete with a solid arm but not an elite arm. There were games where between his passing and his legs he was as good as many hoped and thought he would be. There were also games where he bailed to soon or missed passes that he should have been able to hit.  Bo was put into a bad position one being the son of an Auburn legacy the hype created by his rating out of HS then arrive at Auburn where he had a mediocre O-Line and trying to be a Passing QB in the Malzan offense which did not have a very sophisticated passing tree.  He also did not have great QB coaches. 

With a solid O-Line and the right passing offense Bo may have developed and become what many wanted. Last year he looked better most of the time even though he had one really bad game against a team that we should have crushed.  Because of the O-line he played behind and the offense he ran it is hard to say how good he might have been. Yes he bailed to often but some of that was lack of trust in the O-Line. When his footwork was good he was good when it was bad he was bad.  If I was rating BO I would say C+ or B- based on his performance at Auburn. I never doubted his heart or his effort or his love for Auburn. I wish he had a better O-Line and a better system from the start but because he didn't we will never really know if the Bo we got was as good as he was going to be or if he could have been the elite QB so many wanted him to be.

I disagree with some of this. I think the OL was good enough in pass pro for Bo to give a good showing of what he was about last year and it wasn't great.  Other than that it's a pretty good post.

A lot going on in this topic...

I see folks who hated on Bo since his FR year saying give TJ more time. I see people who thought said Bo needed more time, better coaching, better system, etc saying that TJ is not it. 

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think we saw plenty enough of Bo to know what we were going to get in optimal circumstances. A kid who plays hard, is extremely athletic (sometimes to the detriment of the offense like when he bails early instead of stepping up in the pocket) , someone who will make some amazing plays and even some pretty good throws, but will also never be super accurate especially downfield. . Coach Hars and Bobo did improve him a lot in one year though and I give credit where credit due.

I think if Bo stays healthy the outlook of the program right now is probably a complete 180 but hindsight is 2020.

As for TJ, I have seen enough of him to know it wouldn't give me the good goosebumps if he is named starter, but I also saw how much Bo improved in one year with Hars and I have doubt that he could improve as well. Again, I don't think TJ will ever be super accurate either though just on what I have seen. Time will tell.

I think ZC is our starter and I think he does a good job this season. He can win us some games.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

ZC

Tj

Robby 

HG.

There won't be a package for Robby.  Not Harsin's style imo. As for HG, Harsin has started a TF at QB before at Boise but unless HG is clearly beyond a reasonable doubt the next Joe Burrow/Tom Brady, he is getting a redshirt barring injuries.

Like HG would have to be making perfect audibles at the line of scrimmage and doing some next level progression through reads, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Maybe.  But TJ has to graduate if he wants to transfer again and he *might* be the back up the next two years and front runner for the starting job.  I can't imagine HG or Ashford leave in 2 years.

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll be that guy and say a healthy Bo wins the Iron Bowl.  

I agree and I'll add a healthy TJ would have also won the Iron Bowl. 

• Like 2