MLB Draft & Returnees

Realistically who are we going to be able to get back off this team and who is expected to go in the draft?

Does Sonny have his Covid year left? 

Has Sheehan exhausted his eligibility?

54 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Realistically who are we going to be able to get back off this team and who is expected to go in the draft?

Does Sonny have his Covid year left? 

Has Sheehan exhausted his eligibility?

Barnett, Sonny, and Bright are gonna be the top Auburn guys. Peirce, Howell, Rambo and Moore could go either way.

Sheehan, Brooks Carlson, Wyandt, Drabick and Farquhar ran out of eligiblity.

Sonny has a COVID year left. However it is in his best interest to go because MLB doesn't have fixed draft slot bonuses. Teams are notorious for giving 1-20K to seniors when the draft slot is in 200-600 K range. He can improve his draft position but it will cost Sonny a lot of money.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I could be misreading this but based on the caption and the comments I think Kason is gone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfKQ4gfpPNp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He's a senior, age 23. He may be ready to get on with life, whether it involves baseball or not.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

He's a senior, age 23. He may be ready to get on with life, whether it involves baseball or not.

Yeah that's understandable. Judd wanted to move on with life too, although it was said it was going to be a lot of rehab for both his damaged shoulders if he wanted to return. I hope Howell gets a look.

Skipper's post looks like a good bye to Auburn whereas Brody's post is a testing of the waters for the MLB draft. Also Granzow apparently removed the mention of Auburn baseball on his Instagram bio so I think he's gone. Granzow was gonna try to do football and baseball, which would have made him a walk on for Auburn, but football didn't work out and since he's from Tennessee, paying that much for out of state tuition as a walk on without a significant role doesn't surprise me if he wants to leave.

Fuller announced he won't be returning and will be focused on his moving company Room2Room Movers. They've done NIL deals with a few athletes but none on the baseball team for what I assume to be avoidance of conflict of interest. So I imagine his company will get some baseball guys on NIL deals with his company soon.

• Like 2

Apparently Caldwell said Sheehan can return for a sixth year. I assume one of his ND years he got a medical redshirt for. If he returns I can see him being Bailey Horn-lite. Maybe not quite the velo/starter Horn could be but definitely a valuable pitcher who came off of partial Tommy John and I kinda see Isbell in the same light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Cade Granzow and Seaver sheets have removed any mention of Auburn baseball on their Instagram Bios when they had them in the past. Most likely gone. Also recruit George Meyers will go to Pensacola State instead of Auburn.

ok i am confused. does sonny leave or does he stay for another year?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

ok i am confused. does sonny leave or does he stay for another year?

Most likely leaves barring medicals going awry. He loses monetary leverage if he stays another year unless he gets evaluated like Mark Appel.

• Like 2

Kyrin Long updated his twitter Bio to say Shelton State '23 apparently from what I was told, so looks like he's staying another year at JUCO than coming here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 9:37 AM, warbiscuit said:

So Cade Granzow and Seaver sheets have removed any mention of Auburn baseball on their Instagram Bios when they had them in the past. Most likely gone. Also recruit George Meyers will go to Pensacola State instead of Auburn.

What happened with Seaver Sheets?  Bad attitude, grades? There was a great article on why his father (Ben) loved AU and the coaching staff when he chose us. He was highly ranked by Perfect Game. Looking occasionally at his Twitter and Instagram posts this past season, he was all AU. I assumed he was redshirted. 

3 hours ago, auburndkel said:

What happened with Seaver Sheets?  Bad attitude, grades? There was a great article on why his father (Ben) loved AU and the coaching staff when he chose us. He was highly ranked by Perfect Game. Looking occasionally at his Twitter and Instagram posts this past season, he was all AU. I assumed he was redshirted. 

He was. Probably it was more playing time that he foresaw he wouldn't see. I mean he wasn't gonna surpass Foster/Rambo/Moore, not to mention the other backups like Land and Farquhar. Maybe it's just exploring his options like Garrett Wade who is considering to return here. He hasn't played much this summer, batting .053/.308/.211 in 19 AB's with 6 walks and 7 K's,  1HR and hasn't played since June 7. He still hasn't announced a new transfer location. 

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Happy about this. He improved so much as the season went on and I can't wait to see how he pitches after even more time after the Tommy John surgery.

Yeah, that seems like it has the possibility of being a big deal given the youth on the rest of our pitching staff.

If Hayden Mullins returns to school to go along with Sheehan and Gonzalez, then this pitching staff starts looking really good for next year. 

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

If Hayden Mullins returns to school to go along with Sheehan and Gonzalez, then this pitching staff starts looking really good for next year. 

Hate to break this to you, but Mullins apparently requires Tommy John surgery anyways so Butch was already not counting on Hayden for 2023.

https://twitter.com/tylermilliken_/status/1549468015502266369?s=20&t=GTF7aKZuJkyMsc-b-t5lkw

3 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Howell is coming back. Like our OF depth for next year, plus Ware can be a defensive replacement for the corner infield spots as well.

Wow! I was not expecting that! VERY good news!!

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 2