End of June Update

Zeek

40 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess Eason would know, or at least could make stuff up to sound believable.  But the question I have. Is Eason negative recruiting against AU or against Harsin. I thought Eason left on good terms

That's a good question. Probably Harsin I'd guess? 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This!! Tim Cook is far more likely to give scholarship money to an actual scholar than to a football player. And good for him. Bad for Auburn’s football program though.

NIL is supposed to be a mutual party partnership with businesses. It’s not a donation scheme. And there isn’t one athlete at Auburn who is going to add millions of dollars of value to local businesses, so you gotta wonder how this thing is even going to work, long term.

So Auburn is above other school's now and we are a high academic institution? I doubt it. Also there are smart football players as well. Also I was part of Auburn's engineering scholarship program and it's amazing at how so many of the people that get the scholarships aren't as smart as they are hyped up to be.

So basically it still just fall back on it's pretty much our decision......if we don't want to pay for superstars then what are we crying about? Crying about NIL why? Who cries about other people having quality product when they chose to pass on it?

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So Auburn is above other school's now and we are a high academic institution? I doubt it. Also there are smart football players as well. Also I was part of Auburn's engineering scholarship program and it's amazing at how so many of the people that get the scholarships aren't as smart as they are hyped up to be.

Nah man, I’m not claiming that athletes can’t be smart. You missed the point of what I was saying. Tim Cook is probably more likely to donate money or give a scholarship to someone who has earned an academic scholarship than he is to give a hyped football player millions of dollars just to come play football. He just hasn’t ever seemed like the type to get caught up in this nonsense. Basically he has his priorities in a better place. Lol

And the “good for him” comment is just how I meant it. There are 100s of deserving people who could use that kind of money to go to school. If Tim Cook has decided that this NIL stuff is ridiculous and he isn’t going to feed the flame, that’s good. Tells me that he sees what I see.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nah man, I’m not claiming that athletes can’t be smart. You missed the point of what I was saying. Tim Cook is probably more likely to donate money or give a scholarship to someone who has earned an academic scholarship than he is to give a hyped football player millions of dollars just to come play football. He just hasn’t ever seemed like the type to get caught up in this nonsense. Basically he has his priorities in a better place. Lol

And the “good for him” comment is just how I meant it. There are 100s of deserving people who could use that kind of money to go to school. If Tim Cook has decided that this NIL stuff is ridiculous and he isn’t going to feed the flame, that’s good. Tells me that he sees what I see.

I see what you're saying but what I'm saying even if he thinks like that (I doubt that he does) I'm saying there are still guys on the football team he could probably still gives scholarships to if he wanted. 

The NIL stuff isn't anymore ridiculous than any other scholarship imo. Actually the NIL stuff you probably get to see how your money is used for something good. But once again I doubt Timcook is saying I'm not spending money on an athletic scholarship I'm going to spend it on an academic one instead. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Isn't the head of Apple an Auburn alum? But we can't get money for NIL. Seems like these "Auburn" men are letting us down

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again.  Many (and probably most) of our wealthy alums donate their extra change to the school they graduated in, not from.  In other workd the schools of business, agriculture, engineering, etc.  Sure there are some who donate to athletics, but the vast majority do not.  Auburn grads for the most part are more concerned for their school rather than our athletics.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I see what you're saying but what I'm saying even if he thinks like that (I doubt that he does) I'm saying there are still guys on the football team he could probably still gives scholarships to if he wanted. 

The NIL stuff isn't anymore ridiculous than any other scholarship imo. Actually the NIL stuff you probably get to see how your money is used for something good. But once again I doubt Timcook is saying I'm not spending money on an athletic scholarship I'm going to spend it on an academic one instead. 

Huge difference between a scholarship and giving an 18 year old millions of dollars to play football at your school. I just don’t see him doing the latter. 

NIL is fine, but this business where schools are bidding millions of dollars and buying a team is f’ing ridiculous. It wasn’t supposed to be like that, but teams are using loopholes to skirt the system. If a player like Cam Newton signed a deal with a local or national company and got a big paycheck, I could see it, but at this point, the Texas A&M’s of the world are funneling in money from donors and buying recruiting classes for players who haven’t even stepped on campus. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again.  Many (and probably most) of our wealthy alums donate their extra change to the school they graduated in, not from.  In other workd the schools of business, agriculture, engineering, etc.  Sure there are some who donate to athletics, but the vast majority do not.  Auburn grads for the most part are more concerned for their school rather than our athletics.

I agree for the most part but those of us who donate to TUF are supporting athletics. I have given over $50,000 to TUF over many years.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Deion Sanders intrigues me. Don't get me wrong , It's best for AU for Harsin to succeed. But, someone at a Power 5 is gonna give Deion a shot.  I hope it's not in the SEC . Don't want to compete against him and his on field coaching is under rated as well.

Gimme dat Deion or Dell!

Edited by AUwent

51 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Academic scholarships are managed/ administered by the university. The individual will donate money for the scholarship and can set some parameters (such as scholarships for people from a certain county or state) but school parameters still apply also. I don’t think a Tim Cook ityoe selects the individuals himself.

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

Academic scholarships are managed/ administered by the university. The individual will donate money for the scholarship and can set some parameters (such as scholarships for people from a certain county or state) but school parameters still apply also. I don’t think a Tim Cook ityoe selects the individuals himself.

This is what I was thinking, that's why I originally said it's literally our own fault if for whatever reason we don't compete with other schools. There aren't any barricades or anything.  It's as fair as it's ever been.

48 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

I don't believe Auburn to be special or different than other schools. People have been donating to athletic programs for years. Paying thousands of dollars just for a name to be on a seat or face on a program. The fact we're discussing it in the manner that we are doesn't even make sense. A billionaire doesn't have to pick one of the other.....he'd do both. He'd say how can I help. Just like any other school

Meanwhile, Gus has landed two 5* transfers...there is zero excuse for us to be out-recruited/TPd by UC-freaking-F, I don't care.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Meanwhile, Gus has landed two 5* transfers...there is zero excuse for us to be out-recruited/TPd by UC-freaking-F, I don't care.

Not really surprising. He is a players coach. He might not be a stellar X’s and O’s guy but has gotten several high ranked recruits. Also I think they join the big 12 in 2023

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

From what I've been reading Tim Cook and the Nevilles are the perfect types of boosters. They believe in hiring competent people, letting them do their job, and then stepping in when it's clear that they aren't performing to expectation. Apparently the Neville's are just bigger basketball folks. Tim I can't get a read on.

But ideally we round up new money boosters and move into a new era. I'd rather have 20 pretty rich people than 2 to 3 super rich people. That dilutes the power and empowers the administration imo. Don't have a few factions (Rane faction, Harbert faction, etc) fighting each other for power, and then the losing party waiting to make their power play when things go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, au302 said:

From what I've been reading Tim Cook and the Nevilles are the perfect types of boosters. They believe in hiring competent people, letting them do their job, and then stepping in when it's clear that they aren't performing to expectation. Apparently the Neville's are just bigger basketball folks. Tim I can't get a read on.

But ideally we round up new money boosters and move into a new era. I'd rather have 20 pretty rich people than 2 to 3 super rich people. That dilutes the power and empowers the administration imo. Don't have a few factions (Rane faction, Harbert faction, etc) fighting each other for power, and then the losing party waiting to make their power play when things go wrong.

I had heard that our boosters were beginning to gel (see the link to Rant I posted yesterday). TIFWIW

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I agree for the most part but those of us who donate to TUF are supporting athletics. I have given over $50,000 to TUF over many years.

I'm in the same category as you.  I just know that some of the guys and gals who donate millions do so to their academic school.  And there are some who donate to athletics (like the Nevells, Ranes, etc.)  I just see Auburn big money folks as being more conservative than there counterparts at Georgia, Florida, LSU and bama.  Sure they want to win on the field but it's not the end all be all.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mikey said:

When this NIL stuff first came out I said I'd give it five years before I lost interest in college sports. Things may change but so far I agree with you. It's becoming harder and harder to be enthusiastic about college sports. Our baseball team was something to get excited about but it's hard to say how long it will be until schools start buying baseball players too.

I see this opinion pretty widespread on all the Auburn message boards. There is not a doubt in my mind if nil benefitted AU a lot more than it has you would see a huge narrative shift. All the people hating on the NIL are coming from fans of programs who aren’t willing to play the game and the hand they are being dealt in major college athletics right now. Auburn needs to get off it’s ass for our next football coach. Once they remove Harsin and get “their guy” whoever that may be I don’t want any more bitching from behind the scenes from our bag men. Just get us a got damn talented football team again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:20 PM, au302 said:

We are one step behind everyone for the past 20 years. FOF was the big deal, and now that we're building it NIL matters way more. In 2040 we'll finally catch up on NIL, but at that point something else will be the fad. Our strategic vision for this century has sucked, besides basketball. We nailed that with the arena timing and hiring BP in the span of a few years, and are now doing the BOF and I'm pretty sure our NIL for bball is good. Now we have Butch who rightfully wants things, comparing our current atmosphere to that of a pac-12 school.

We have a new track coach who publicly told it how it is in his first interview, holding the universities feet to the fire from the jump instead of using it as an excuse later. And we have a football program that needs capital both for NIL and stadium renovations. Money doesn't grow on trees. We are just living with the consequences of kicking the can down the road and poor leadership for 20 years. Fortunately we mostly have good coaches who have mostly made it work in spite of this.

Our beloved aging old girl Jordan Hare has badly needed a major renovation for several years. That stupid jaybotron video board was classic Auburn. Just slapping lipstick on a fuggin pig. It’s like all the movers and shakers were like welp ok! We are good here for another decade…. SMH 🤦‍♂️. I Believe every sec school has had a major project on their stadium done since the last time we had one besides like vandy. If the on field product isn’t going to be good at least make the fan experience a lot better!!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:31 AM, Potatooooooes!! said:

I think one of the most interesting things you pointed out is we’re not the cool school—the fun school, and we’re not. We’re the hometown, family school because we’re the hometown, family town. However, I do believe that can be overcome with the right coach. Look at what Bruce has done with our program, and what the players are saying. Suddenly, we are the “fun” and “cool” school. Auburn basketball is hot, and if you want to show off and maybe win a championship, come play here. I’ll never forget how much fun everyone looked like they were having when Sharife Cooper was here—it was like backyard basketball for them. Auburn the town is still the small, southern place, but the program is rockin, and somehow, everyone is on the same page on what greatness looks like for this program that has been bad for so long. If we had someone like that running the football program then maybe things would be different. But honestly, I think the only way things will change any time soon is if we had more Bruces, both in leadership and as boosters.

If you don’t have THE guy as head coach you are dead in the water. Really good- great college head coaches in basketball and football are everything. It’s the nfl version of a franchise qb. If you don’t have one you are constantly chasing after one and searching for one by pouring a ton a money in to that process. Look at us since dye. We have been doing exactly that. Sure we have found fleeting success for every head coach since dye until now but not having back to back 10 win seasons since the late 80’s shows how dysfunctional and allergic to sustained success we are. But it’s not that hard to figure out why. We haven’t found our Bruce or butch. It’s really that simple. It’s that simple to state and find the root of the issue but yet so hard to correct.

usc and lsu got so tired of not having another Pete Carroll or nick Saban they went out and made offers to ultra extremely successful head coaches to immediately fix their problem. They are good to go now. It may not happen right away but it eventually will for them like it did with us and Bruce. And those 2 programs are way better off and further along obviously than AU bball was when Bruce got here. So I bet both will be top programs again sooner rather than later. If you want to fix a problem quickly stop playing the mid major and flavor of the month coaching roulette like most programs do. We sure as hell will pay a big ass buy out over and over but we refuse to pay big up front money on the initial contract to a proven successful winning football head coach.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see this opinion pretty widespread on all the Auburn message boards. There is not a doubt in my mind if nil benefitted AU a lot more than it has you would see a huge narrative shift. All the people hating on the NIL are coming from fans of programs who aren’t willing to play the game and the hand they are being dealt in major college athletics right now. Auburn needs to get off it’s ass for our next football coach. Once they remove Harsin and get “their guy” whoever that may be I don’t want any more bitching from behind the scenes from our bag men. Just get us a got damn talented football team again. 

Our basketball team was able to land Trahore, a 5*. So maybe it’s not just a river in Egypt but I don’t believe we would’ve gotten him if we truly were hopeless with NIL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Our basketball team was able to land Trahore, a 5*. So maybe it’s not just a river in Egypt but I don’t believe we would’ve gotten him if we truly were hopeless with NIL.

Bruce is a elite recruiter of not just securing really  good basketball players but also going outside the GOB network to get the required nil funds. The Neville’s hardly anyone knew who they were before they donated 25 million for the new basketball only practice facility then subsequently got the arena named after them. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tinman1 said:

Sure they want to win on the field but it's not the end all be all.

And that's why we are not an elite football school.

• Thanks 2

Firing Harsin and paying millions to his replacement will be pointless unless an alpha dog (new HC, AD, Pres, or a big booster) can whip the factions together and get a wholistic plan put in place to encompass staffing, recruiting, NIL, facilties, etc.    Saban was the a-hole who got them to come together with his arrogant attitude but you know he would have been out in his butt in 3yrs just like anybody else if he hadn't started winning big.    Playing nice doesn't cut in HC world.   Dye wasn't a "sweet, nice guy".    Bruce is a great guy but he's as headstrong as they come and knows what he wants and how to get it.    That's what it's going to take on the football side along with all the money guys pulling in the same direction.   Anything short of that will lead to ceiling of mediocrity in the cutthroat SEC no matter who the HC is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2