End of June Update

Zeek

7 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Firing Harsin and paying millions to his replacement will be pointless unless an alpha dog (new HC, AD, Pres, or a big booster) can whip the factions together and get a wholistic plan put in place to encompass staffing, recruiting, NIL, facilties, etc.  

True, but if this was likely with AU  we probably would’ve done it two years ago. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Firing Harsin and paying millions to his replacement will be pointless unless an alpha dog (new HC, AD, Pres, or a big booster) can whip the factions together and get a wholistic plan put in place to encompass staffing, recruiting, NIL, facilties, etc.    Saban was the a-hole who got them to come together with his arrogant attitude but you know he would have been out in his butt in 3yrs just like anybody else if he hadn't started winning big.    

This is historically impossible at Auburn.  Nick Saban himself would not have been allowed to whip the numerous factions at Auburn into one cohesive unit all pulling in the same direction for the greater good of the school.  Not happening.

NIL is a year old and rumor has it our Admin (Roberts/Greene/McGlynn) are still sifting through the logistics of proper communications between the coaches & the boosters that fund NIL. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're currently running 2-3 separate NIL's right now?   

1) NIL Auburn 2) The Plains NIL Club and wasn't there a 3) Friends of Auburn NIL mentioned recently? 

27 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

This is historically impossible at Auburn.  Nick Saban himself would not have been allowed to whip the numerous factions at Auburn into one cohesive unit all pulling in the same direction for the greater good of the school.  Not happening.

NIL is a year old and rumor has it our Admin (Roberts/Greene/McGlynn) are still sifting through the logistics of proper communications between the coaches & the boosters that fund NIL. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're currently running 2-3 separate NIL's right now?   

1) NIL Auburn 2) The Plains NIL Club and wasn't there a 3) Friends of Auburn NIL mentioned recently? 

Yeah... I'm of the opinion that maybe it's time to let McGlynn go. Appreciate all he's done, but do we even really need an NCAA compliance officer when the NCAA is so toothless and one-foot in the grave as it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Yeah... I'm of the opinion that maybe it's time to let McGlynn go. Appreciate all he's done, but do we even really need an NCAA compliance officer when the NCAA is so toothless and one-foot in the grave as it is?

I will always be appreciative of him for 2010 and the basketball stuff recently he navigated us through. Without him there’s a good chance Bruce is not our basketball coach and that’s terrifying to me!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Could be time to cut ties?  IDK, McGlynn's dang good at wheeling and dealing with the old NCAA - but the NCAA is about to be completely revamped.  Emmert's been pushed into retirement and silenced since his announcement.  (Hoorah!) A new group of guys will be leading the NCAA and Greg Sankey is a prominent fixture in the transition.  

The NCAA members schools have created a Transformation Committee (headed by Greg Sankey) and they are actually in meetings this week to review a new set of rules & guidelines ranging from coaching staff numbers to the transfer portal to new investigation procedures.

For immediate consideration they are addressing the transfer portal.  Supposedly - football coaches at NCAA member programs have proposed to have only 2 limited portal "windows" available for players to enter. 

1st window > immediately after the regular football season has concluded and will line-up with the Dec early signing period for high school recruits. 

2nd window> immediately after spring practices have concluded.  The duration of the portal windows has not been released yet.  But the proposal goes to the NCAA board tomorrow and is very likely to be passed.  IMO having 2 short portal windows allows coaching staff's to better evaluate and manage their rosters and they'll have a better view of which holes to fill.  The portal badly needs adjusting and regulating. 

The Transformation Committee has decided they need more time to address NIL compensation.....LOL! 

over on the CFB Subreddit apparently Michigan fans are upset that their University is limiting NIL programs and trying to stick to 'tradition' or something and they are blaming that "along with Harbaughs offseason drama" on Michigan starting off the recruiting cycle so poorly and losing interest from big name recruits. 

If a place like Michigan can't get away with dancing around NIL money then  AU sure as hell can't. 

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce is a elite recruiter of not just securing really  good basketball players but also going outside the GOB network to get the required nil funds. The Neville’s hardly anyone knew who they were before they donated 25 million for the new basketball only practice facility then subsequently got the arena named after them. 

Elite recruiter + knows Auburn/can please the right people = the reason I want who I want (realistically).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Elite recruiter + knows Auburn/can please the right people = the reason I want who I want (realistically).

So, whom do you want... realistically?

I'll be honest with you, Genghis Khan nor Julius Caesar could bring these people together and get them on the same wavelength.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

So, whom do you want... realistically?

I'll be honest with you, Genghis Khan nor Julius Caesar could bring these people together and get them on the same wavelength.

image.png

Respond how you wish, we have seen that position. coaches can legit work.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

image.png

Respond how you wish, we have seen that position. coaches can legit work.

As a head coach? Gotcha.  

20 hours ago, 1716AU said:

But at Auburn isn't that the job of the AD. So maybe we need to get a more capable AD.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 1716AU said:

As a head coach? Gotcha.  

The guy at Arkansas is doing very well. He inherited a tough situation and a team that had losing records, yet he's pulled them up. They'll be favored when they play AU this season.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The guy at Arkansas is doing very well. He inherited a tough situation and a team that had losing records, yet he's pulled them up. They'll be favored when they play AU this season.

They were last season, too.

just sayin'...

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 5:24 PM, 1716AU said:

They were last season, too.

just sayin'...

And that’s true but end of the day, they still went 9-4–in the eight years before he got there they had the worst record in the league. Again, I understand disagreement, I just think that position coaches are no longer automatically a bad hire. USCe appears to be on a good trajectory as well—basically, the off-season they’ve had is what I wanted us to have. In a lot of ways--I was listening to I think Blake Toppmeyer and he made this point--non-coordinator assistants who are AHC status can be a better fit than coordinators.

Basically, Dell is an extremely well-liked figure by all the necessary people--CFB coaches (guarantee you he could assemble a kickbutt staff), HS coaches, recruits, power brokers (who are, y'know, kind of especially important to please right now). Every HC who has come from Bowl Cut's staff has either proven to be good or is looking very good so far. We could (or should be able to) get him for relatively cheap. Out of everyone we could realistically get, he checks off by far the most boxes of what we need. I could be wrong, but I think he’d be a football version of Butch (Thompson, not Jones).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

You can add LSU to the Brock Glenn chase. Kelly has apparently come on late with him.