Three Announcements Over the Next Week

Zeek

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sigh...

Karmello English pushing his commitment back

Absolute disaster

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Well I guess that's true. But all the talking heads said he was all but a lock. So , looks like folks guess both ways and say they were right when it all shakes out. First Glenn, now this guy. Either Harsin don't know how to close or we are being negative recruited against like crazy. 

Remember...these are 17 year olds.   Not the most predictable species on planet Earth.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think PTB may have been the first one.  I remember because it was a huge shocker to the forum.

Well, gymnastics just landed another 5* recruit so you could always switch to reporting on that sport.  I know that may sound sarcastic but that program is giving me the vibes that basketball did as Pearl was landing more and more top players.  For gymnastics, this is now the fourth year in a row they have landed a 5* recruiting, including a gold medalist who we convinced to return for her sophomore season.

The equestrian team just got a 5* horse from Kentucky to commit I think I read also.   They are jumping over hurdles to keep that program in the top 3. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Absolute disaster

Not according to Keith Niebuhr and Jeffrey Lee at On3.  Both reiterated this morning that they still expect him to commit/sign with Auburn. 

• Thanks 1

Comparing how well Bruce recruits versus the football program is not really an Apples and Oranges comparison. Basketball unlike Football is more of a National recruiting and name recognition goes a long way.  Bruce was known for his time at Tenn. and his time on TV that is a huge help.  In Basketball you are only recruiting for 2 or 3 players per class so you can give the players you like more time. Don't get me wrong Bruce works his butt off he finds players early sometimes in 8th grade and keeps in touch. he does all the right things but it helped a lot that the players knew him when he arrived. There is no doubt Bruce was a home run hire. 

Harsin arrived late during pandemic which meant he was not seen by players or teams other then social media for belated 1st cycle. He totally screwed it up last year by not getting out and meeting the HS coaches and not going to events which left a bad taste in a lot of coaches mouth's. Since the February debacle he has improved tremendously. The bit of coached hitting every school even those without an SEC type player was brilliant towards the future, hitting numerous events all good.  Last year they really started working the kids for this class hard building relationships so to be honest I have been expecting some good news to start happening. Then we have three players who were committing between now and end of next week who we all expected to be strong Auburn leans and I was thinking it is starting to pay dividends.

Now to have 2 of the 3 delay their commitment scares me because one of three things are happening:

1. Harsin and coaches can't close - If true we are really screwed.

2. NIL money is not matching other schools - It doesn't matter if we are not organized, or boosters are not putting up the amount of money either way we are screwed.

3. Negative recruiting based on February is making players nervous this is the best of three bad scenarios as if we can play well on field that can overcome that.  Even this scenario is bad a player who puts off his commitment might not wait around long enough to see what product we put on field so we could lose some that way.

We were already going to have trouble getting 25 quality players we really needed these three to sign this coming week to change recruits perspective.  If an almost sure thing players backs off how does that affect the ones on the fence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not according to Keith Niebuhr and Jeffrey Lee at On3.  Both reiterated this morning that they still expect him to commit/sign with Auburn. 

I understand most folks think JLee is a homer (and I can see why) but Niebuhr has always been reliable.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I think PTB may have been the first one.  I remember because it was a huge shocker to the forum.

It was a shocker and he still sticks to his guns on the subject even after the Fiasco in February faded to some extent.  PTB rarely posts, and where the devil has McLoofus been?

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Remember...these are 17 year olds.   Not the most predictable species on planet Earth.   

Backed by parents, high school coaches, mentors, uncles, guardians AND now they have agents working the waters daily for the most lucrative NIL deals they can find.  Everybody's got to get a taste.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I'm still here so it can't be that bad....

This is true.

Dang. I can't believe I typed that. I hope Bird doesn't see it.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2