Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

My biggest criticism of Harsin is that he didn't seem to get how important recruiting was in the SEC when he arrived and now he has to play catchup. With NIL, I'm not sure my recruiting concerns matter much anymore. Recruiting the top athletes is now about paying them, period, and I don't think Auburn is going to fall anywhere in the top of that group of "schools". What we will need is a do-more-with-less type of coach, but I don't know that that's Harsin. He was handed a very successful program in Boise in a conference they were dominating. He kept things at the same level, but that's a little different than trying to compete with a pile of booster-rich schools in the SEC. If he blows it this year, I think we need to move on from him. The game has just changed too much. I don't like it, but that's what it is. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I think Kiffin would relish the opportunity to coach every year against UGA in the South's Oldest Rivalry, and against UA in the Iron Bowl.  I think he would welcome a stage like that.  But he would also want autonomy, which has been hard for AU coaches to get.

Pair his recruiting and play-calling at a place like Auburn with the right defensive coordinator...I'd get really excited about AU football.  A lot more than I am now.

Yep. Just don’t see Kiffin leaving Ole Miss. He could be playing the long game. Win at Ole Miss and maybe make a Playoff appearance then go get a fat check at a bigger school. 

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

My biggest criticism of Harsin is that he didn't seem to get how important recruiting was in the SEC when he arrived and now he has to play catchup. With NIL, I'm not sure my recruiting concerns matter much anymore. Recruiting the top athletes is now about paying them, period, and I don't think Auburn is going to fall anywhere in the top of that group of "schools". What we will need is a do-more-with-less type of coach, but I don't know that that's Harsin. He was handed a very successful program in Boise in a conference they were dominating. He kept things at the same level, but that's a little different than trying to compete with a pile of booster-rich schools in the SEC. If he blows it this year, I think we need to move on from him. The game has just changed too much. I don't like it, but that's what it is. 

Harsin may well be a "do more with less" coach. He'll definitely have less this coming season so we'll get a good read on that.

You are very correct in that recruiting top players has become a question of how much a school's boosters are willing to pay them. We are never going to compete at the top level of that game. Unless the rules are changed significantly, "do more with less" is what AU will have to be satisfied with.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The ones who discuss various topics. The point I’m trying to make is that, you don’t know about me, yet you’re so confident that I don’t have a life, because I’m discussing Bryan Harsin’s issues on a forum that is highlighting Bryan Harsin’s issues. We get it, bud. Your put together and discussing football is           beneath you. If only I had a life like EAGLENEST!

image.gif.279e81573edf91e72d861c4f824995e4.gif

What Harsin issues? he is having to cut out malcontent softies and lazy football players to create a culture that best fit him and the Auburn football program, can you remember all the shades directed toward Kirby?? now we don't see them on this board anymore, we don't need another flash in the pan coach, we need a program builder, you heard of those before right? how about you learn to be patience Harsin will either work out or he won't but your continuation of bad mouthing is a bit too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

What Harsin issues? he is having to cut out malcontent softies and lazy football players to create a culture that best fit him and the Auburn football program, can you remember all the shades directed toward Kirby?? now we don't see them on this board anymore, we don't need another flash in the pan coach, we need a program builder, you heard of those before right? how about you learn to be patience Harsin will either work out or he won't but your continuation of bad mouthing is a bit too much.

I’ve already highlighted the issues I have. Recruiting. It’s okay to clean house if you’re ultimately upgrading the roster. Harsin has added some talented guys, but not enough for us to compete in the SEC. 

Why on earth are you comparing Harsin to Kirby Smart. Kirby Smart was 8-5 his first year. He has recruited in the top 5 every single year he’s been at Georgia. Harsin is nowhere near in the same spot at Auburn in year two as Kirby was at Georgia. Also, if you don’t remember, Georgia football was a hot bed of crime and malcontents when Kirby got there. Gus didn’t leave Auburn like that. 

Also, please tell me where I bad mouth Harsin in the last 5 months. Give me an example post, and I’ll respond. Sounds to me like you’ve singled me out as someone who isn’t allowed to have an opinion to start sh*t.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 4

I think NIL CAN make relationships matter more. Think about it, you need someone who can communicate well with the power brokers. Part of why I feel Harsin was especially the wrong coach for this moment.

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Harsin made some big mistakes in his initial staff hires that are still costing us. Everyone thought he needed to hire experienced SEC guys to be able to recruit. Whether he took bad advice from someone, decided he needed experienced SEC guys on his own, or was forced to hire them, it blew up in his face. (Friend, Brumbaugh, Bobo, and Mason).

The reality is that they have not or did not pull their weight like was expected. Each have had or did have their moments, but just not nearly the amount that was expected. He probably should have gone down with the three headed combo of Boise guys (X/O's and development); the young, hungry SEC guys who are trying to create their reputations and move up the ranks (Caddy, CRob, Trovon, and Zac); and ex NFL guys (Eason and Ike).

That is actually a good combo imo. But when you instead rely on failed SEC retreads who have failed miserably at job after job, it's a recipe for disaster. And look, a lot of people on here called on Harsin to hire more SEC guys and less Boise guys, so shows how much we know, lol. But at the end of the day he is the HC and will bear responsibility for those hires. Let's hope that they somehow turn that ship around.

• Like 5

Whelp this has been going on long enough so I'll post so this can get locked up. I think people should give Harsin a chance.

There you go lock it up! 🔒

• Like 4

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Harsin made some big mistakes in his initial staff hires that are still costing us. Everyone thought he needed to hire experienced SEC guys to be able to recruit. Whether he took bad advice from someone, decided he needed experienced SEC guys on his own, or was forced to hire them, it blew up in his face. (Friend, Brumbaugh, Bobo, and Mason).

The reality is that they have not or did not pull their weight like was expected. Each have had or did have their moments, but just not nearly the amount that was expected. He probably should have gone down with the three headed combo of Boise guys (X/O's and development); the young, hungry SEC guys who are trying to create their reputations and move up the ranks (Caddy, CRob, Trovon, and Zac); and ex NFL guys (Eason and Ike).

That is actually a good combo imo. But when you instead rely on failed SEC retreads who have failed miserably at job after job, it's a recipe for disaster. And look, a lot of people on here called on Harsin to hire more SEC guys and less Boise guys, so shows how much we know, lol. But at the end of the day he is the HC and will bear responsibility for those hires. Let's hope that they somehow turn that ship around.

My boss often told me "hope is not a strategy."

• Like 3

We all witness what Brett did to Arkansas and what Derrick Dooley did to Tennessee. And it was because they were allowed to stick around for too long. And it took years and multiple head coaches to turn those programs around. The people here who are critical of Bryan Harsin aren’t doing it because we hate Harsin. We are doing it, because, thus far, we have regressed as a competitive program, from the day he became our head coach. Nobody knows if he will figure it out and right the ship. But we are hopeful that either he does that, or the university stops the bleeding, before we wind up like those two programs.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

My boss often told me "hope is not a strategy."

Well as fans it's all we can really do. Of course the staff can't do that. They are gonna have to brainstorm on how they can find a way to win football games with this squad, as hard of a task as that may be, if they want to continue to be employed past the first week of December

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We all witness what Brett did to Arkansas and what Derrick Dooley did to Tennessee. And it was because they were allowed to stick around for too long. And it took years and multiple head coaches to turn those programs around. The people here who are critical of Bryan Harsin aren’t doing it because we hate Harsin. We are doing it, because, thus far, we have regressed as a competitive program, from the day he became our head coach. Nobody knows if he will figure it out and right the ship. But we are hopeful that either he does that, or the university stops the bleeding, before we wind up like those two programs.

Well, we know what came after Brett.

Edited by AUwent

40 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, we know what came after Brett.

Hindsight 20/20 posters 

got to love them. Same posters saying this were the same posters who were fawning when we were 6-2. The bottom line is it’s a recipe for disaster to fire a coach or completely hitch your wagon to them after one year. Unless it is a gene chizik type of season , I don’t see CBH going anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Hindsight 20/20 posters 

got to love them. Same posters saying this were the same posters who were fawning when we were 6-2. The bottom line is it’s a recipe for disaster to fire a coach or completely hitch your wagon to them after one year. Unless it is a gene chizik type of season , I don’t see CBH going anywhere.

Well then, if we’re committed to him we’d better get a decent recruiting class out of the deal.

Once again, it pisses me off to no end how Florida never gets the rep we do about treating coaches bad. Firing Zook three years in when they won 6 SEC games his first two years, firing McElwain three years in after winning two SEC east titles his first two years, firing Mullen his fourth year for going 6-6 after going 10-3, 11-2, ~10-4 (equivalent) his first three years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

my man, I can't take you Serious because Gustava was allowed to stay here far too long, and stole or foolishly given a ton of money because of your type of thinking. You need to give up, I got you figured out you are a wolf in sheep clothing.. the clown MESS this football program up...

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 5

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

my man, I can't take you Serious because Gustava was allowed to stay here far too long, and stole or foolishly given a ton of money because of your type of thinking. You need to give up, I got you figured out you are a wolf in sheep clothing.. the clown MESS this football program up...

If you were able to see my post history, you can find a post of me saying after Gus Malzahn’s last Iron Bowl, “I’m not watching another game while he’s coaching us”. I don’t know where you decided that I’m a Gus advocate. This notion that if you’re displeased with Harsin, you have to be a Gus guy is ridiculous. Gus failed to take the opportunities he had to set us up to be a serious contender. And it was time for him to go. But he also didn’t turn us into what Arkansas and Tennessee were. We just sat right there in the middle, constantly. And it wasn’t good enough for most of us. 

I haven’t advocated for Harsin to lose his job, since the great booster flub up of 2022. All I’ve done is point out that, if he continues down his path of mediocre recruiting, Auburn isn’t going to be better off than we were with Gus. That’s it. How in your mind is that unacceptable? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Hindsight 20/20 posters 

People overestimate how rabid university leaders are with sports. They do care, but most aren't like us on here. Gus would have been canned a while back if it worked like the fantasy world that they think. Paying a massive buyout of a top 5 salaried coach and then paying another one two years later is not something that a university president or BOT is gonna want... at all.

That's two buyouts you're paying at the same time, plus a third salary of the incoming coach. There's a reason that they didn't fork up the money in February, for better or worse. It is what it is. Then you got some that think not only will we pay both GM an BH's buyouts at the same time, but we're gonna go make a huge splash hire like LSU and all them did. Gimme some of what y'all are having. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, au302 said:

People overestimate how rabid university leaders are with sports. They do care, but most aren't like us on here. Gus would have been canned a while back if it worked like the fantasy world that they think. Paying a massive buyout of a top 5 salaried coach and then paying another one two years later is not something that a university president or BOT is gonna want... at all.

That's two buyouts you're paying at the same time, plus a third salary of the incoming coach. There's a reason that they didn't fork up the money in February, for better or worse. It is what it is. Then you got some that think not only will we pay both GM an BH's buyouts at the same time, but we're gonna go make a huge splash hire like LSU and all them did. Gimme some of what y'all are having. 

People also like to spend other people money like you have said lol. These people aren’t fools . They were not going to pay out that huge ass buyout last year. Trust, it would’ve been done if that were the case. 

• Like 1

Our RBs and TEs are studs. We may have a better than expected QB in Calzada.  OL has experience, DL looks good. LBs very good, CB and safeties good.  Kicker good.  A couple of OL turn nasty, and a couple of WR end up being good, and we exceed expectations. Gonna take attitude (lots of it), a little luck, health, and better play calling. But this is by no means a max 5 win year.  I’m not convinced we have the coaching in terms of play-calling. But our athletes have the potential. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Would mop up on recruiting. 

DIEON.webp

People were pissed Harsin didn't have any SEC or big P5 experience when he was hired but turn around and offer coaches like Prime whom has barely any experience as a coach and none at the P5 level

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Didba said:

People were pissed Harsin didn't have any SEC or big P5 experience when he was hired but turn around and offer coaches like Prime whom has barely any experience as a coach and none at the P5 level

For those that are proposing this (which doesn’t make any sense at all as we still have a coach) it is all about the persona I assume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Our RBs and TEs are studs. We may have a better than expected QB in Calzada.  OL has experience, DL looks good. LBs very good, CB and safeties good.  Kicker good.  A couple of OL turn nasty, and a couple of WR end up being good, and we exceed expectations. Gonna take attitude (lots of it), a little luck, health, and better play calling. But this is by no means a max 5 win year.  I’m not convinced we have the coaching in terms of play-calling. But our athletes have the potential. 

we have more than 1 QB??

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

For those that are proposing this (which doesn’t make any sense at all as we still have a coach) it is all about the persona I assume.

Persona doesn't build programs.