Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Mike Leach is a great coach, generally an extremely intelligent but very weird dude.  You think Harsin is hated at AU, Leach would have been lambasted here.

NGL, I love ML, his offensive scheme is dang near unstoppable if he has the right QB

Leach is a scheme coach, not a program coach. He will fail in the SEC and most Power 5 jobs. He will excel in most Group of 5 jobs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Going to get flamed for this, but if the story from the OP has even a shred of truth (I doubt it), the Auburn brain trust needs to take a long look in the mirror. Auburn is way behind our peers in NIL $. CBH hasn't been put in a position to succeed. That doesn't mean he gets a free pass, but until Auburn is more in tune with the new college football landscape, doesn't matter who the coach is. Wash rinse repeat.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Gus just snagged another 5 star running back out of the portal and a 5 million cash infusion at ucf in the past 48 hours, fanbase feelings aside, he himself wouldn't even entertain the idea of coming back to the gauntlet of sec west football -- 

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That 5* RB has been to Clemson then transferred to the Gators in those two years he had a total of 23 carries 113 yards. He was told to leave the Gators. Three teams in three years. Great pick up by Gus :-\

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Don’t you go putting anything into context dammit.

Yeah, nothing like a few facts to contraindicate a post.

2 hours ago, Didba said:

No.

Brian Harsin and me have some beautiful ocean front property in South Dakota that we’re putting on the market. I will give you first offers.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Farrell's opinion doesn't mean anything, but at the same time I don't buy the narrative that the media has a hatred for Auburn. 

From most outside perspectives AU football doesn't look to be in a great place right now. Bad end to the season last year, an offseason of turmoil and drama with our head coach, We ended up with a decent 22' class, but have a 2023 recruiting class that is off to a very slow start with only 2 commits. 247 has AU as the lowest ranked P5 school in the country and some of our top targets seem to be getting a lot of pressure from other big schools and are moving back their planned commit dates. 

As of right now I can't blame anyone who thinks things will fall off the rails for Auburn football this next season. Hopefully we'll get some good early wins, have some things go our way with players developing, and recruiting will pick up and recover as a result, but that's not a guarantee by any means. 

I agree with everything except: “We ended up with a decent 22' class”

Just being honest if decent is third from last in the SEC, instead of dead last, then yes it was a decent class. Too many fans, last year’s recruiting class was a semi to complete disaster!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

His recruiting was decent, but way overrated. He failed miserably to recruit OL for his entire tenure here. He had one solid OL class in 8 years. He relied on WR/DBs to boost ratings that often times were over ranked due to playing at small schools and never materialized at the CFB level. He failed at QB recruiting. He failed to recruit to his system. It is what it is at this point. I will give you Gus was decent at recruiting, but not as good as many believe.

As for Harsin and the current state of our program, I am in wait and see mode because that is the only way I can keep from being in total despair about it right now. I am hoping that success on the field this year will yield results on the trail. I actually think we end up with a better record than most so that is where I hedge my bets.

Just out of complete curiosity, what would you consider success on the field this year?    7-5?  Again, just completely out of curiosity.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

the young man was recruited fiercely by the nation's top programs including caddilac at auburn, had a very brief stint behind a loaded front at Clemson and a lackluster run in a Dan mullen offense that few if any rb's shine plus was injured throughout the spring w a knee injury furthermore I haven't seen anything out in the aether that he was told to leave Florida, could be true could be message board rumor just saying, it's not out there from a cursory search like it is with kobe hudson (but that's a bit different of a case). I'd say it's a good pickup that I'd be excited about as a fan nonetheless maybe he is a total dud my overall point was that this idea that Malzahn would be sought after by auburn is ludicrious or that he would be interested is ludicrious. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Mike Leach is a great coach, generally an extremely intelligent but very weird dude.  You think Harsin is hated at AU, Leach would have been lambasted here.

NGL, I love ML, his offensive scheme is dang near unstoppable if he has the right QB

Leach is my hero. Super smart, a little crazy law school grad who became a badass coach who has taught gorilla warfare classes? His life is my dream. 

Leach would have better recruited, better coached, and been much much less likely to be ****** over by a coup/rumors. 

A lot would be pissy screaming RuN tHe BaLl, but au football would be in such a better place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Leach is a scheme coach, not a program coach. He will fail in the SEC and most Power 5 jobs. He will excel in most Group of 5 jobs.

He has a 60% win rate while his last 2 stops coaching were at 2 perennial bottom dwellers. Turning both into bowl contenders with a few ranked seasons. Multiple coach if the years. 

Leach has proven he is a hell of a coach at the P5 level and doing so with inferior talent. 

Edited by GunsmithAU

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Never said he was a program coach But i disagree with you wholeheatedly.

Edited by Didba

10 hours ago, e808 said:

I agree regarding the new coach. All of your studs will be pretty much gone after this season. Unless someone emerges. 
However, I don’t think Boise would take CBH back as he started to rub some people the wrong way.

why? is it because he is ignoring you, or because he doesn't care what you think? tell me...  

46 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Leach is my hero. Super smart, a little crazy law school grad who became a badass coach who has taught gorilla warfare classes? His life is my dream. 

Leach would have better recruited, better coached, and been much much less likely to be ****** over by a coup/rumors. 

A lot would be pissy screaming RuN tHe BaLl, but au football would be in such a better place. 

Yeah I agree but he also says some stuff that would piss alot of people off... I love the guy don't get me wrong but he definitely has put his foot in his mouth several times

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Brian Harsin and me have some beautiful ocean front property in South Dakota that we’re putting on the market. I will give you first offers.

the-dude-abide.gif.b1cf58b115ee9553a5f5f0a03bc0bafb.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

I agree with everything except: “

We ended up with a decent 22' class”

Just being honest if decent is third from last in the SEC, instead of dead last, then yes it was a decent class. Too many fans, last year’s recruiting class was a semi to complete disaster!

Not gonna lie this is one common refrain I've seen a lot lately that irks me a bit. Not aimed at you 24, but I just don't think it's fair to say that the '22 class is a disaster when these men have not even taken the field for a fall camp practice yet. It just seems way too early to say such a thing. Way too early.

At the end of the day, play on the field matters more than rankings. Fan's don't have to like Harsin, and I don't blame them, but we should get behind these '22 guys who have signed with us during a time of great adversity and give them every bit as much support as they gave the highly ranked Gus recruits. Jmo

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

the young man was recruited fiercely by the nation's top programs including caddilac at auburn, had a very brief stint behind a loaded front at Clemson and a lackluster run in a Dan mullen offense that few if any rb's shine plus was injured throughout the spring w a knee injury furthermore I haven't seen anything out in the aether that he was told to leave Florida, could be true could be message board rumor just saying, it's not out there from a cursory search like it is with kobe hudson (but that's a bit different of a case). I'd say it's a good pickup that I'd be excited about as a fan nonetheless maybe he is a total dud my overall point was that this idea that Malzahn would be sought after by auburn is ludicrious or that he would be interested is ludicrious. 

And is now 3 years removed from being a 5 star tailback out of high school. So don't make it sound like such a coup for Malzahn. Its not like he rushed for 1200 yards last year at uf.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

And is now 3 years removed from being a 5 star tailback out of high school. So don't make it sound like such a coup for Malzahn. Its not like he rushed for 1200 yards last year at uf.

Sounds like when people were heaping praise about our 4 and 5 star skill players from the previous era. Doesn’t do much of they aren’t producing as such at this level 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eaglenest said:

why? is it because he is ignoring you, or because he doesn't care what you think? tell me...  

I had one good response to what I said. Then this dumb response that has nothing to do with me. I am not a Boise State . Clearly u either didn’t read the text properly or just want to be a smartazz

Edited by e808

20 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I was in the AU trophy room 2 days ago, showing a friend of mine around that has never been there. Spoke to some of the people I know…  I said: must’ve been a big weekend around here with the “four stars” in town. They said: yeah it was big, but not big enough to bring Harsin in. I said what do you mean? They said: he again spent very minimal time with recruits, left it up to the assistant coaches and others.

The one useful nugget in the whole thread.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just out of complete curiosity, what would you consider success on the field this year?    7-5?  Again, just completely out of curiosity.

IMHO, it really depends on what the games look like. If we beat the teams we should, and look competitive in the games we shouldn't win on paper, then I could see 7-5 being the threshold there. I really think 8 wins is where I would lay my hat, though.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, meh130 said:

Agree I remember during the first season Leach was was at MSU, Roman Harper who was an analyst on the SEC network and was in the Alabama secondary during the 2006 Cotton Bowl against Tech basically said the Leachs scheme and formations were the same as what they saw in the CB.  

In addition, I heard people say that he could be really good with better talent but these type of offenses reach critical mass.  In other words, the Houston Oilers in the 90s had really good talent and ran the run and shoot.  They could easily beat the inferior teams but had real trouble beating the better teams.  They still had good passing yards against those teams because it is difficult to stop a good passing game but these better teams did have good secondary the passing efficiency ratios decreased and interceptions increased and no running game to offset.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

The one useful nugget in the whole thread.

Really, I thought it was the most like to be bull

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

44 minutes ago, Didba said:

Really, I thought it was the most like to be bull

Like the coach is gonna spend weeks and weeks with him and staff absolutely blanketing high schools in a freaking blitzkrieg, but then isn't going to show up at the university when the recruits are actually on campus?

Okay.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

"Lane Kiffin has reportedly been linked to the potential opening already, while Gus Malzahn’s affinity for Auburn could always keep the door open for a return should things with UCF ever go sour."

Last bit told me everything I need to know. If Mike Farrell indeed has the inside scoop that Lane Kiffin is being talked to already that tells me that Harsin is being sabotaged or at the very least is not getting the full support that he should be getting for Auburn to be successful and NOT set back another 5 years. Also Lane is a clown whose best season as a head coach was this season. Sure he schemed his team to 10 wins, but let him beat Bama first before we bring him in to make Auburn a nationally televised embarrassment week in/week out... 

And if Gus' and UCF's relationship sours for any reason what makes you think we'd welcome him back? If you can't maintain the success of a top 3 AAC school when you're given the reigns of a G5 powerhouse what are you gonna do coming back to the SEC in its even more competitive environment?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

IMHO, it really depends on what the games look like. If we beat the teams we should, and look competitive in the games we shouldn't win on paper, then I could see 7-5 being the threshold there. I really think 8 wins is where I would lay my hat, though.

That’s what I was thinking; and I can’t remember too many times in Auburn’s football history, (I go back to the Pat Dye Era) where we would’ve been happy with a seven and five season coming off of an already losing season. Just sad times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

That’s what I was thinking; and I can’t remember too many times in Auburn’s football history, (I go back to the Pat Dye Era) where we would’ve been happy with a seven and five season coming off of an already losing season. Just sad times.

If we were recruiting well (which wasn't the case even before the investigation), I could forgive. If your post earlier about CBH being absent from visits is true, that says a lot.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2