Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

If we were recruiting well (which wasn't the case even before the investigation), I could forgive.

Exactly, his first two recruiting classes were bad to a bust, now another very slow start this year. The guy is just in over his head.

In a sense it’s not even Harsin’s fault, it’s not like he’s going to turn down a multimillion dollar contract… who can blame him?  He should’ve just never been hired in the first place.

Something Harsin does have in his control, since he’s been hired is his work ethic and that has been questioned by some within the A.D. Again, back to is it really his fault? I doubt he had to put in 80 to 90 hours or more per week, every week in Boise, Idaho. In athletics, to fortune 500 companies, to the military, to any business etc. some people adjust to moving up the ladder and some people don’t. It would appear, Harsin is just not adjusting.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

"Lane Kiffin has reportedly been linked to the potential opening already, while Gus Malzahn’s affinity for Auburn could always keep the door open for a return should things with UCF ever go sour."

Last bit told me everything I need to know. If Mike Farrell indeed has the inside scoop that Lane Kiffin is being talked to already that tells me that Harsin is being sabotaged or at the very least is not getting the full support that he should be getting for Auburn to be successful and NOT set back another 5 years. Also Lane is a clown whose best season as a head coach was this season. Sure he schemed his team to 10 wins, but let him beat Bama first before we bring him in to make Auburn a nationally televised embarrassment week in/week out... 

And if Gus' and UCF's relationship sours for any reason what makes you think we'd welcome him back? If you can't maintain the success of a top 3 AAC school when you're given the reigns of a G5 powerhouse what are you gonna do coming back to the SEC in its even more competitive environment?

Auburn is not going to hire Lane Kiffin. (Although Greene hired Harsin, so who knows) Gus is not coming back. How much support does Harsin need? The guy has been through how many coaches, how many coordinators, how many players? Of course the coaches and coordinators are still on the Auburn payroll. If that is not getting support, I don’t know what is.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If we were recruiting well (which wasn't the case even before the investigation), I could forgive. If your post earlier about CBH being absent from visits is true, that says a lot.

I was told he spends minimal time with recruits. Which I just can’t wrap my head around, because he has struggled so mightily with recruiting since coming here, when is he going to get it together?

• Facepalm 1

With the basketball and baseball programs doing so well, I imagine Harsin is feeling even more pressure than we think.

I like Harsin, and believe he is a good coach under the right circumstances (i.e. outside the SEC).  Inside the SEC, he is in over his head.

Green took a chance on hiring an unknown outsider.  It hasn't worked.  And let's face it, it isn't going to work, at least not in the 3-year window of expectations.

I'm already dreading the nail-biting month or two awaiting all of us after this year or next when the AD is trying to find Harsin's replacement.  They had better make a home run hire next time.  If not, we could be in trouble for years to come.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

With the basketball and baseball programs doing so well, I imagine Harsin is feeling even more pressure than we think.

I like Harsin, and believe he is a good coach under the right circumstances (i.e. outside the SEC).  Inside the SEC, he is in over his head.

Green took a chance on hiring an unknown outsider.  It hasn't worked.  And let's face it, it isn't going to work, at least not in the 3-year window of expectations.

I'm already dreading the nail-biting month or two awaiting all of us after this year or next when the AD is trying to find Harsin's replacement.  They had better make a home run hire next time.  If not, we could be in trouble for years to come.

I think we are already in trouble for the foreseeable future. Call me a pessimist but I can't see us doing better than 8-4 in the next 5 years. Sure hope I'm bad wrong.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I do think the 23 class could be a top 10 class it won't matter because I don't see AU winning more than 5 games this year. Broken record, but the OL stinks and it's highly unlikely that it will be a different animal this fall. I hope I'm wrong.

If they do fire him, I really wish they would just call Dabo and send him a blank check. Just do it. He would be the most Auburn coach of all time. (I know he knows the atmosphere, but he can be convinced with a check) You have to make moves like that to compete. There is no Moneyball in CFB. You can't navigate your way to a title by using subpar talent. They missed on Kirby and Jimbo in this past decade. They need a big name coach.

That seems as likely as our OL being a top unit in the conference but still. We know Auburn can bounce back pretty quick. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

When he was first hired I said he would be in over his head. I have  several examples but took big heat for being negative. Some don’t realize how big of an advantage Boise State has in the Mountain West thats why CBH wanted to switch conference. Nothing against him sometimes situations aren’t the right fit and it happens all the time.

However, gotta admit he hasn’t gotten a fair shake. It’s just been one thing after another and he has make strides to get better. Will it be enough. We shall see

Edited by e808
  • Like 3

I would take Kiffin in a heart beat right now - I think he’s the best we can get at the moment. He would bring excitement back to the program. He’s a great play caller and he knows the recruiting game. He would bring an exciting brand of offense - he just needs a studDC to go with him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

With the conference expansion and new schedule plus Auburn money, a home run hire should be a great possibility!

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly, his first two recruiting classes were bad to a bust

There is so much ammo against Harsin, so why do you use this when it's not true, at least yet? The '21 class was mostly signed on ENSD by Kevin Steele. The 5 recruits that Harsin himself recruited and signed in that class are Jarquez Hunter, Juwuan Gatson, Colby Smith, Dylan Brooks, and Cayden Bridges.

Gatson did not even make it on campus, so bust there, but the rest are too early to tell. And '22 guys haven't even hit fall camp. They literally have not played a game and you are calling their class a bust. Did I just wake up in a coma and it's actually 2024 and half of the '22 class is gone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, au302 said:

There is so much ammo against Harsin, so why do you use this when it's not true, at least yet? The '21 class was mostly signed on ENSD by Kevin Steele. The 5 recruits that Harsin himself recruited and signed in that class are Jarquez Hunter, Juwuan Gatson, Colby Smith, Dylan Brooks, and Cayden Bridges.

Gatson did not even make it on campus, so bust there, but the rest are too early to tell. And '22 guys haven't even hit fall camp. They literally have not played a game and you are calling their class a bust. Did I just wake up in a coma and it's actually 2024 and half of the '22 class is gone?

Class rankings, near the bottom of the SEC. Portal rankings, near the bottom of the SEC. Current recruiting class, at the bottom of the SEC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Also Lane is a clown whose best season as a head coach was this season. Sure he schemed his team to 10 wins, but let him beat Bama first before we bring him in to make Auburn a nationally televised embarrassment week in/week out..

Lane is a top 5 offensive mind and killing it at ole miss. He recruits great, brings evergy and excitement. Fans love him. Made a 3 time 3-9 team into conference champs 2/3 years in FAU then made the year 2 jump he needed at ole miss. 

Gtfo with this beat Saban as a prereq to coach here. 

Lane successfully completed the Nick Saban coaches rehabilitation program and has killed it ever sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I would take Kiffin in a heart beat right now - I think he’s the best we can get at the moment. He would bring excitement back to the program. He’s a great play caller and he knows the recruiting game. He would bring an exciting brand of offense - he just needs a studDC to go with him.

Lane Kiffin is Steve Spurrier without the resume to back up his running mouth. Again, if being a national embarrassment is "exciting" then I want no part of it.

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

I liked the way Harsin closed the '21 class with little time to work. Was very encouraging. 

Ever since then, it's been pretty bad. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Class rankings, near the bottom of the SEC. Portal rankings, near the bottom of the SEC. Current recruiting class, at the bottom of the SEC.

Again, assess what happens on the field. That is what matters. You got some ammo to use in that 2021 portal class with Dreshun Miller and Ro Torrence flaming out. What makes no sense is to call an entire HS class a bust before they have one practice, but that's jmo. 

5 hours ago, Didba said:

Really, I thought it was the most like to be bull

That’s ‘cause your nugget finder is broken.

Lane Kiffin is Steve Spurrier without the resume to back up his running mouth. Again, if being a national embarrassment is "exciting" then I want no part of it.

A national embarrassment was the February coup attempt by Lord only knows who was leaking info from the AU AD.  

Don’t worry though, IF Auburn wanted Kiffin they’d have snagged him 18 months ago. 

Edited by keesler
  • Like 3

We’ll all have to sit back and see what happens in the next 6 months.  This crew has a lot to prove, there’s no way they don’t feel the pressure.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

With the conference expansion and new schedule plus Auburn money, a home run hire should be a great possibility!

If Harsin is fired at year two after everything that’s happened, who do you think is a realistic homerun hire?

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Bad spells
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly, his first two recruiting classes were bad to a bust, now another very slow start this year. The guy is just in over his head.

In a sense it’s not even Harsin’s fault, it’s not like he’s going to turn down a multimillion dollar contract… who can blame him?  He should’ve just never been hired in the first place.

Something Harsin does have in his control, since he’s been hired is his work ethic and that has been questioned by some within the A.D. Again, back to is it really his fault? I doubt he had to put in 80 to 90 hours or more per week, every week in Boise, Idaho. In athletics, to fortune 500 companies, to the military, to any business etc. some people adjust to moving up the ladder and some people don’t. It would appear, Harsin is just not adjusting.

You know who is well adjusted to the big time????

4444C2EF-09A5-4F6F-A000-F910359D723C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You know who is well adjusted to the big time????

4444C2EF-09A5-4F6F-A000-F910359D723C.jpeg

I hadn’t even read anything after that comment I just responded to. Great minds think alike. Chooooo chooooo! Lane Train!

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I think the super conference formula completely kills Auburn. Auburn isn’t a blue blood in any major sport and they just added two major big time blue bloods. It’s going to be so f’ing hard to stay relevant.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

Auburn football has already embarrassed itself enough nationally these past few years. From the way Gus was fired, to the weird coaching search, blowing the biggest lead in program history to Mississippi state at home, to almost firing Harsin and then bringing him back because of the backlash, If you didn’t want any part of being embarrassed you should’ve already left by now

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

A national embarrassment was the February coup attempt by Lord only knows who was leaking info from the AU AD.  

Don’t worry though, IF Auburn wanted Kiffin they’d have snagged him 18 months ago. 

Nobody here wants to recognize this. They expect it to just, go away. And therefor Harsin should just have to deal with it and succeed.

Some of the “leaking” seemed to be strangely close to some here….

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think the super conference formula completely kills Auburn. Auburn isn’t a blue blood in any major sport and they just added two major big time blue bloods. It’s going to be so f’ing hard to stay relevant.

Our athletics program if you take out football is doing great right now. So I think if it kills us it kills a little over half the conference too.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1