Mike Farrell on Harsin

AU-24

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Our athletics program if you take out football is doing great right now. So I think if it kills us it kills a little over half the conference too.

I agree. And yea we are doing well, but we aren’t historically a blue blood, like I said. I agree that half of the SEC is up sh*ts creek in football. But it’s been like that. I just think Auburn gets knocked down a rung in the pecking order.

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree. And yea we are doing well, but we aren’t historically a blue blood, like I said. I agree that half of the SEC is up sh*ts creek in football. But it’s been like that. I just think Auburn gets knocked down a rung in the pecking order.

Florida is a real wild card right now. Obviously I really really wanted Billy and he may very well work out great for them, but right now they're not overly happy. So if we fall to irrelevancy, them going down with us would make it slightly easier to stomach.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

If Harsin is fired at year two after everything that’s happened, who do you think is a realistic homerun hire?

Homerun? You think negative recruiting for players is bad, imagine being a coach looking at the Auburn hire and thinking to yourself "If I don't win immediately or play by a certain set of rules, someone is going to try and torpedo my career and personal reputation". You end up hiring a Dan Hawkins, a Ron Zook, or Steve the linecook from Waffle House...

You don't get homerun hires when your program looks like a dumpster fire managed by arsonists. If you're lucky you get someone who can get on base. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Homerun? You think negative recruiting for players is bad, imagine being a coach looking at the Auburn hire and thinking to yourself "If I don't win immediately or play by a certain set of rules, someone is going to try and torpedo my career and personal reputation". You end up hiring a Dan Hawkins, a Ron Zook, or Steve the linecook from Waffle House...

You don't get homerun hires when your program looks like a dumpster fire managed by arsonists. If you're lucky you get someone who can get on base. 

I didn’t have yellow font. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

We're not going to get a big name coach with all the crap that goes on behind the scenes at Auburn. A big name doesn't have to put up with this kind of dysfunction. This has been going on since Pat Dye, then Tubs, then Gus and now Harsin. It doesn't matter what CBH did or didn't do, recruited or didn't recruit, coach up or didn't coach up.

What matters is we have "some" people in and around Auburn that decided it would be a good idea to publicly cut the legs out from under Harsin. That is beyond stupid but what is even worse is they did it just because they didn't get their way. In the process of doing all this they used some of the most despicable tactics possible. 

They have done real damage to Auburn and gave our competitors every weapon  they could have asked for to use against us. Harsin then has to rely on some of these same people to handle the NIL. You can have some of the best recruiters in America but if a Tennessee decides to pay millions for a QB you will lose.

If we don't get this dysfunctional environment of the last few decades fixed, none of the rest will matter, including who we get as a coach because a big name coach won't put up with it. However, because of some of the tactics used in February,  I am going to give Harsin a pass and see how this thing shakes out. In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy some Auburn football this season.  

This should be pinned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

By the way, Steve the line cook can make a hellova scattered/smothered/covered on 4th and 11.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Exactly, his first two recruiting classes were bad to a bust, now another very slow start this year. The guy is just in over his head.

In a sense it’s not even Harsin’s fault, it’s not like he’s going to turn down a multimillion dollar contract… who can blame him?  He should’ve just never been hired in the first place.

Something Harsin does have in his control, since he’s been hired is his work ethic and that has been questioned by some within the A.D. Again, back to is it really his fault? I doubt he had to put in 80 to 90 hours or more per week, every week in Boise, Idaho. In athletics, to fortune 500 companies, to the military, to any business etc. some people adjust to moving up the ladder and some people don’t. It would appear, Harsin is just not adjusting.

your problem is not the coach but the man that hired him it tells me a lot about you.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

We're not going to get a big name coach with all the crap that goes on behind the scenes at Auburn. A big name doesn't have to put up with this kind of dysfunction. This has been going on since Pat Dye, then Tubs, then Gus and now Harsin. It doesn't matter what CBH did or didn't do, recruited or didn't recruit, coach up or didn't coach up.

What matters is we have "some" people in and around Auburn that decided it would be a good idea to publicly cut the legs out from under Harsin. That is beyond stupid but what is even worse is they did it just because they didn't get their way. In the process of doing all this they used some of the most despicable tactics possible. 

They have done real damage to Auburn and gave our competitors every weapon  they could have asked for to use against us. Harsin then has to rely on some of these same people to handle the NIL. You can have some of the best recruiters in America but if a Tennessee decides to pay millions for a QB you will lose.

If we don't get this dysfunctional environment of the last few decades fixed, none of the rest will matter, including who we get as a coach because a big name coach won't put up with it. However, because of some of the tactics used in February,  I am going to give Harsin a pass and see how this thing shakes out. In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy some Auburn football this season.  

Good post. It is straight up delusional that we even want to go the big name route, and even more asinine to think a big fish would bite if we even got organized enough to make a serious run at one. It's not the Auburn way. Dye, Tot, Tubs, Chiz, Gus, and Harsin were not considered "big fish" like a Brian Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, etc.

We will likely go for a G5 HC, as usual, or a up and coming coordinator that would be willing to let the PTB control them a bit and is hungry enough to put up with our bs.

• Like 2

Alright, I will be the dissenter here.

The right coach would win at Auburn. And it's never been easier to quickly turn it around. The only problem is we can't seem to hire the right person.

Bruce is doing just fine with basketball, under the same administration, the same NIL program, the same compliance officer, the same whatever else you want to blame it on. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I would take Kiffin in a heart beat right now - I think he’s the best we can get at the moment. He would bring excitement back to the program. He’s a great play caller and he knows the recruiting game. He would bring an exciting brand of offense - he just needs a studDC to go with him.

🤡

12 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

With the basketball and baseball programs doing so well, I imagine Harsin is feeling even more pressure than we think.

I like Harsin, and believe he is a good coach under the right circumstances (i.e. outside the SEC).  Inside the SEC, he is in over his head.

Green took a chance on hiring an unknown outsider.  It hasn't worked.  And let's face it, it isn't going to work, at least not in the 3-year window of expectations.

I'm already dreading the nail-biting month or two awaiting all of us after this year or next when the AD is trying to find Harsin's replacement.  They had better make a home run hire next time.  If not, we could be in trouble for years to come.

🤡

6 hours ago, cbo said:

The right coach would win at Auburn. And it's never been easier to quickly turn it around. The only problem is we can't seem to hire the right person.

Bruce is doing just fine with basketball, under the same administration, the same NIL program, the same compliance officer, the same whatever else you want to blame it on. 

I agree with you but with a caveat. Basketball has always been dreadful so no one really cares. This is a fun time but come on, PTB don’t really care about basketball. That could change. Keep this up for a decade and it could become something that they start to fight over. 

• Dislike 1

I don’t think Hardin set us back 5 years just bc all of the options we were considering sounded to me like they would’ve set us back 5 years. Hell, hiring Bill Clark would’ve set us back a coach RIGHT NOW 

I don’t love the Harsin experience, but I don’t remember any name I loved during the search except Cristobal 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I agree with you but with a caveat. Basketball has always been dreadful so no one really cares. This is a fun time but come on, PTB don’t really care about basketball. That could change. Keep this up for a decade and it could become something that they start to fight over. 

I agree with this in that, the PTB has not attempted to meddle with CBP outside of a couple times (couple big times) and they didn’t commit enough to meddling to where the AD couldn’t overstep them. In CFB, if an Aub football guy was being giving the attention CBP got in ~2016, and the PTB wanted him gone, he’d be gone 

5 hours ago, Didba said:

🤡

This isn’t a particularly reasonable response anyway, but what’s wrong with Kiffin? He’s been a stellar floor raiser, and I think that’s all many Auburn fans have wanted for years 

12 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Totally respect what you’re saying. This is Philip Marshall’s take on what really goes on behind the scenes. I tend to believe this, which is why I think we could still get one of the best coaches in the country. If the reason we can’t, is because the SEC West is too tough, hopefully that will change when the conference expands. Just my two cents.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/PMARSHONAU-Monday-reflections-from-Auburn-and-beyond-189314474/

Here’s reality:

Most people who talk about boosters are really talking about trustees. Those trustees, as well as boosters who are not trustees, are free to have their opinions heard. That does not mean they get their way. If it did mean that, neither Gene Chizik nor Gus Malzahn nor Bryan Harsin would have been Auburn’s head coach.

It’s kind of amusing to hear talk about those trustees and/or boosters wanting access to the program, wanting to “hang around” the athletic department and stand on the sideline. None of those things happen. The other popular mantra is that they want to control the head coach. What do they want to control? What can they control? Again, they are free to express their opinions. The head coach is free to listen or not. They have no leverage to force a head coach do anything. Trustees and boosters have influence in every program. Many of them have more influence than any individual has at Auburn.

No matter what you hear, that’s the truth of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think Hardin set us back 5 years just bc all of the options we were considering sounded to me like they would’ve set us back 5 years. Hell, hiring Bill Clark would’ve set us back a coach RIGHT NOW 

I don’t love the Harsin experience, but I don’t remember any name I loved during the search except Cristobal 

I mean, Napier straight turned us down. 

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

If Freeze and Kiffin will both take the coaching job at Ole Miss, they both would’ve taken it at Auburn. If Stoops will take the football coaching job at Kentucky he would’ve taken it at Auburn. If not all three, two of those three would’ve taken the job, if offered. Regardless of what allegedly goes on behind the scenes at Auburn, (which the bammer media exploits and exaggerates) Bruce Pearl gets tremendous support, so does Butch Thompson etc. etc. etc. A home run hire coach stands a much better chance at Auburn than Ole Miss or Kentucky.

Edited by AU-24

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Totally respect what you’re saying. This is Philip Marshall’s take on what really goes on behind the scenes. I tend to believe this, which is why I think we could still get one of the best coaches in the country. If the reason we can’t, is because the SEC West is too tough, hopefully that will change when the conference expands. Just my two cents.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/PMARSHONAU-Monday-reflections-from-Auburn-and-beyond-189314474/

Here’s reality:

Most people who talk about boosters are really talking about trustees. Those trustees, as well as boosters who are not trustees, are free to have their opinions heard. That does not mean they get their way. If it did mean that, neither Gene Chizik nor Gus Malzahn nor Bryan Harsin would have been Auburn’s head coach.

It’s kind of amusing to hear talk about those trustees and/or boosters wanting access to the program, wanting to “hang around” the athletic department and stand on the sideline. None of those things happen. The other popular mantra is that they want to control the head coach. What do they want to control? What can they control? Again, they are free to express their opinions. The head coach is free to listen or not. They have no leverage to force a head coach do anything. Trustees and boosters have influence in every program. Many of them have more influence than any individual has at Auburn.

No matter what you hear, that’s the truth of the situation.

I agree with some of what is stated and some of it is dead wrong. I know boosters that want AU to be as successful as possible, donate and give a voice only when the time is right or asked. I know other boosters that think their donations give them the god given right to micro-manage every aspect of the program and EXPECT to be on the sidelines during games. Bobby Lowder did more for AU than any boost in AU's history, love AU, was greatly mis-represented by rumors but ALWAYS did what was best for Au's interest!

25 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

No he did not we turned him down...for the last time we never offered him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I don’t disagree with you on a coach’s ability to succeed here, and do it quickly. Personally, I don’t think Harsin has been given enough time. Has he made mistakes? Big mistakes? Absolutely. From all indications, he has been working feverishly to fix those. 

Will he be given time to fully right the ship? Eliphino.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No he did not we turned him down...for the last time we never offered him

Never said we offered. 

Outside of iNsIdEr InFo, ever report on Napier, both legit and sketchy fan site says Napier was the one to say no. 

Since I don't know either way, I'll just stick to it being unknown. 

39 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

If Freeze and Kiffin will both take the coaching job at Ole Miss, they both would’ve taken it at Auburn. If Stoops will take the football coaching job at Kentucky he would’ve taken it at Auburn. If not all three, two of those three would’ve taken the job, if offered. Regardless of what allegedly goes on behind the scenes at Auburn, (which the bammer media exploits and exaggerates) Bruce Pearl gets tremendous support, so does Butch Thompson etc. etc. etc. A home run hire coach stands a much better chance at Auburn than Ole Miss or Kentucky.

Those places seem much more willing to let a guy do his thing than Auburn. Well that and the holier than thou requirement for football coaches which automatically disqualifies the likes of kiffen/freeze/etc for many. 

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, GunsmithAU said:

Never said we offered. 

Outside of iNsIdEr InFo, ever report on Napier, both legit and sketchy fan site says Napier was the one to say no. 

Since I don't know either way, I'll just stick to it being unknown. 

Golf is right on that one, for what my word is worth.

Personally, I think Kiffin would love Auburn. He would relish in the underdog role constantly poking the bear. He’s not the same guy he was a decade ago. 

• Like 5